Today is my last day with this piece of crap blackberry....I'm leaving the BB family for good...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 03:17 AM
    Today is my last day with this piece of crap blackberry....I'm leaving the BB family for good...

We're gonna miss you too.

07-14-10 03:53 AM
    I think there's a place for everything out there....but I don't watch movies or TV on my phone and the media player is sufficient for my purposes.
    That's my take on it too. If I'm in a situation where the only screen around me is my phone, chances are I'm outside, with other people, but certainly away from my workspace, so there'll be something more interesting for me to do than to watch a video or play a game.

That said, with the high-res screen, looking at photos and video clips is a pleasant enough experience. Much is made of how the BB is a messaging device and lacking in media BUT for me it has more than adequate media capabilities, in fact bar the screen size I seem to be able to do everything my friends iPhone3's can do.

Back to the OP, I agree with the title of this thread.

Sent from my hot-tub.
    07-14-10 04:30 AM
    Don't take this the wrong way, I love the BB OS, however, the thing that makes me not like RIM is the fact that ever since they have been marketing a lot of models to the consumer market, the quality of the phones have diminished. My first bb was 8300, warranty exchanges 2x and then got an 8310 which started having problems and when the Bold 9000 first was released, I bought one $ 500 after mail in rebate and even during the first 30 days exchanged the bold for 2x other phones because the issues were *2x Canada Bold and 1x made in Hungary* and the first Canadian and the Hungary had their own issues *usb port quit working, dropping calls, rebooting, locking on to edge and quality of calls were crap*. The 3rd bold worked perfectly until after the factory warranty ran out and now the Mute Button/Stand By button works whenever it wants. Very Annoying and I have not dropped nor have I abused the phone at all.

I am looking at the competition because I am not a fan of the 9700 Bold *too small for my tastes* and I am afraid of the quality of the h/w on any of the newer phone because I expect a $ 500 phone to last at least 2 years not start having problems after 13 - 15 months. I heard the older pre 81XX and 83XX 88XX models, these phones were practically indestructible but the current trend is release a model that breaks down. As for the RIM OS versus the Competition, let's see RIM blows the competition away for e-mail because of the whole push vs pull e-mail scheme, but the os is lacking in web browsing, camera *well having hd recording would be cool but something better then 3.2 mp would be great. I say focus more on making better made hardware as well as get the browser, camera and everything else up too par, I guarantee that more people would stay with BB.

The downside to RIM and Apple goes back to the 80s when Apple and MS were fighting for the top spot in computers, Apple had to control the hardware and software, similar to what is happening with the iPhone and even rim is doing it with BB. Where as MS was just making the os/software and selling it to the hardware manufacturers *ibm, hp/compaq, dell, gateway and etc* where MS is still doing that even with windows mobile and Google is doing with Android. With multiple phone manufacturers selling phones with the Android and WM is better competition for the consumer. Where as Apple and RIM, are controlling to keep their environments running on similar specs = a fail because where does the higher quality come into play when over the years, htc, samsung, nokia and lg have strived to release a superior quality phone versus their competition. This is just my opinion if apple and rim also let other manufacturers release phones with their os, we as consumers would be beneficial as we could always choose the better quality versus being stuck with the same cookie cutter design..

HTH,
    Charlie
    That's the same with everything else though, cars and don't get me started on motorcycles. One winter's ride and the next day it's covered in rust.
    Phones are getting outdated so fast it makes sense not to build them to last anymore. Look at the Nexus, Incredible and even Evo, it's already being surpassed and it's only been out a couple of months.
    The prices are going down too, when I bought my first blackberry you couldn't get a free one with any contract no matter how expensive monthly, now you can get a free 9700 for �20/month contract.
    I also do think blackberrys are made to be used with the leather pouch supplied, don't use it and the cosmetics will start to suffer.
    Rim has always provided other manufacturers with blackberry connect software so they could take advantage of the push email, I used it on a nokia E61 and it was just as fast as the 8320. It's other manufacturers who decided not to allow it anymore ie Nokia and Palm, don't know if it's still available for winmo or sonyerricson.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-14-10 at 08:25 AM.
    07-14-10 08:21 AM
    You really shouldn't have put so much thought and effort into your post. By the way - whatever device you decide to switch to - they loose and BB wins. Bye Bye now.
    07-14-10 09:14 AM
    BlackBerry = tool

iPhone + Android = toy
    100% BS. This is an extremely dismissive statement, it helps nobody, and it only makes the author look smug, condescending, and (worst of all) intentionally ignorant.
    07-14-10 10:41 AM
    100% BS. This is an extremely dismissive statement, it helps nobody, and it only makes the author look smug, condescending, and (worst of all) intentionally ignorant.
    100%!? ...are you sure? Anyway, my statement was not made to attack anyone or anything. If anything, it was designed to spark discussion. It is merely my feelings regarding the devices - saying that I feel more productive with one over the other. To categorize something as a toy does not say that it's trash or useless, nor is it saying that the owners of these devices are ...[insert whatever]. I categorize many things as a toy; and believe it or not, 20% of what I own can be considered a toy. I even own 'real' toys (R/C cars). So, no need to get revved-up on the word "toy". Your defensiveness is unwarranted!
    07-14-10 05:08 PM
    I can't really comment on the iPhone or Android, as I've never used them. All I know is my Berry gives me email, IM, SMS, camera, video camera, movies, music, games, Web and Twitter on the go. I'm sure the others can do that as well, but my Berry only cost $250 and I only pay $60/month for what I need. So until an Android or iPhone can be obtained and used in that price range, I see no reason to switch.
    07-14-10 11:17 PM
    I'd like to start my opinion off with something I think everyone can agree on.. This is an argument that will probably NEVER go away (unless of course RIM goes away but good luck with that one).

Now, to my point.

I'm a very mature 16 year old high school student ( I say that based on other peoples opinions, not my own. I am not a pompous jackass). I use my phone as much for personal things as I do business. I'm extremely involved in my community, heading up a large coalition and many school clubs. With that, comes balancing my school work, volunteer work, real work, and friends all together. I'm one of the very few teenagers that actually uses a calendar. I went from a flip-phone, to the Samsung BlackJack. Once I went smart, I knew I wouldn't be going back. My next phone was the Palm Treo, which I loved. I liked the combination between the touchscreen and full qwerty keyboard, and navigational buttons. < Hence I cannot wait for the 9800 . It was very difficult for me to part with that phone, but being a teenager, I usually want the best of the best for my use. I bought my Bold 9000. Remember when I told you about how I got my first smart phone and would never go back? Same with BlackBerry. I absolutely love this phone. My dad has an iPhone 3Gs, and I'd take my BB anyday.

Now, living in a fairly wealthy area, most kids around me live a prominent lifestyle, so I'm always seeing the next cool phone at school. Do I get jealous sometimes? Of course I do. But at the end of the day, for MY purposes, my phone works more than well. I can personalize every aspect of it, which I love. I can download apps, and I can type on a physical keyboard. I love my BlackBerry and will remain loyal to RIM most likely for the rest of my life.

I think a lot of people who remember BB's as work oriented devices are right, it has lost it's swing a little there. But at the same time, it's picked up the slack in so many other areas. Thats just the way things are now. I mean, you can talk to your car now..

Times have changed, and so have the needs of the public. In my opinion, BlackBerry has retained it's name as a business provider, but as also put a little subheader on it, which appeals to everyone, not just the suits.

BBF!

(BlackBerry forever)

EDIT: I totally forgot to specifically address the topic.. my bad and please forgive me.
    I think you're not getting the whole picture. Yes, the BlackBerry device isn't supposed to be in the same ballpark as those phones, because it was intended for different purposes. Now, however, the same people that bought the phone for their work have realized that the phone is capable of doing way more, right alongside their business stuff. That, combined with a new, younger user base, RIM does need to start innovating a little.

Personally, I'm 200% satisfied with my BB, but I understand how someone else with the same background and lifestyle as mine, wouldn't be.
    Last edited by spielll; 07-15-10 at 07:51 PM. Reason: I missed the point of the topic.
    07-15-10 07:39 PM
    I think that is RIMs weakness. They were primarily targeting corporate and business users, but then decided to tack on a few consumer bits. I think they need to look at their user experience from the ground up. Look what happened to Windows Mobile.
    I still shudder when I think of those days when it was considered cutting edge to have a stylus and surf the Internet with a bastardised version of a ******* browser Ie6.
    07-15-10 08:07 PM
    To spielll: Very well put! Awesome articulation! Very mature! Hard to believe you're sixteen!
    07-15-10 08:29 PM
    BlackBerry = tool

iPhone + Android = toy
    Anyone who feels this way A) Has never used an iPhone or a high-end Android device or B) is such a fanboy of BlackBerry that their opinions shouldn't ever be taking seriously.

The iPhone is not the device for me, for reasons I won't get into with this post. Every single thing I use my BlackBerry for, I could easily accomplish on an Android device. I am heavy with e-mail, sms/mms, my calendar is my life, literally (I must take immunosuppressants 4 times a day due to a liver transplant), I read several RSS feeds and I surf the web occasionally. I would surf the web more on my smartphone if it were an Android device. No doubt about it. The other categories I mentioned would be just as fast since I use GMail.

There is nothing the BlackBerry does better than an Android device would do. The only thing keeping me tied to BlackBerry is the incredible keyboard. To call Android a "toy" is beyond ridiculous. The same with calling an iPhone a "toy".
    07-15-10 09:05 PM
    To spielll: Very well put! Awesome articulation! Very mature! Hard to believe you're sixteen!
    Thank you!

07-15-10 09:37 PM
    Anyone who feels this way A) Has never used an iPhone or a high-end Android device or B) is such a fanboy of BlackBerry that their opinions shouldn't ever be taking seriously.

The iPhone is not the device for me, for reasons I won't get into with this post. Every single thing I use my BlackBerry for, I could easily accomplish on an Android device. I am heavy with e-mail, sms/mms, my calendar is my life, literally (I must take immunosuppressants 4 times a day due to a liver transplant), I read several RSS feeds and I surf the web occasionally. I would surf the web more on my smartphone if it were an Android device. No doubt about it. The other categories I mentioned would be just as fast since I use GMail.

There is nothing the BlackBerry does better than an Android device would do. The only thing keeping me tied to BlackBerry is the incredible keyboard. To call Android a "toy" is beyond ridiculous. The same with calling an iPhone a "toy".
    With all due respect, though I don't agree so much with the statement that BB = tool i/droids = toys.
    What can a iPhone3GS do that an iPod Touch can't do with the exception of phone calls, and take pictures.

the iPhone IS a toy, and IS a tool, depending on how you use it, of all of the devices the iPhone is MOST toy like as it was born from the iPod Touch toy. a BB can be a toy, and an Android can be a toy, but the the least ridiculous of all of the devices to call a toy is the iPhone.
    07-15-10 09:38 PM
    07-16-10 01:33 AM
    It's amazing how quickly android owners jump into this threads on a blackberry forum to defend their pride and joy. Are android forums too crowded or something? Maybe some people can type faster on touch screens but try it in a moving vehicle, walking, direct sunlight, light rain etc, you know, real life situations, and don't say you can dictate your messages in a noisy coffee shop.

hahaha Tactile response from your keyboard allows you to do things like, type a text message/email, or dial a phone number without staring at your screen like a sh*t-chucking ape
    07-27-10 11:18 AM
    I don't believe that blackberry smartphone are lacking in features. Their only shortcomings in my opinion are the truncated emails and web browser. Other than those, blackberry's operating system is one of the best if not the best around. I like my android device, bit the operating system isn't as efficient as the blackberry OS. Sure I have a better multimedia experience and some cool features, but when it comes to efficiency, android isn't in the same league with blackberry. At least not yet.

Thats true... BB devices were born in the enterprise, so it would make sense that the OS would be more efficient.
    07-27-10 11:21 AM
    the iPhone IS a toy, and IS a tool, depending on how you use it, of all of the devices the iPhone is MOST toy like as it was born from the iPod Touch toy. a BB can be a toy, and an Android can be a toy, but the the least ridiculous of all of the devices to call a toy is the iPhone.
    iPhone came before iPod Touch. Basically, iPod Touch was born from iPhone.
    07-27-10 11:30 AM
    When you look at the corporate side, there are some things that the BlackBerry provides that still keep it in the eyes of large corporations. BES lets the company decide the security level. They can block certain features of a phone, wipe them if needed, and even control access to apps and such. That doesn't mean much to an end user, but if you have a lot of trade secrets, it can mean a lot.
    Well said. One of my acquaintance found out the hard way last week when his company said that they will not support email on other devices other than BB for security reasons. I think it's bull but from a company's standpoint, they have to protect their proprietary data/information.
    07-27-10 12:40 PM
    You really shouldn't have put so much thought and effort into your post. By the way - whatever device you decide to switch to - they loose and BB wins. Bye Bye now.
    Lol what are you 5? BB wins? You have fanboy written all over you. People like to call iPhone users and Android users mindless drones. Well you right here prove to be a mindless drone, playing cheerleader for a company that doesn't give a **** about you.
    07-27-10 12:41 PM
    100%!? ...are you sure? Anyway, my statement was not made to attack anyone or anything. If anything, it was designed to spark discussion. It is merely my feelings regarding the devices - saying that I feel more productive with one over the other. To categorize something as a toy does not say that it's trash or useless, nor is it saying that the owners of these devices are ...[insert whatever]. I categorize many things as a toy; and believe it or not, 20% of what I own can be considered a toy. I even own 'real' toys (R/C cars). So, no need to get revved-up on the word "toy". Your defensiveness is unwarranted!
    No, you are wrong, it was an attack, even though you may not have meant it that way. It's the oldest attack on the book that all BB users seem to like to throw out. If you knew anything abut the device, or ANY device for that matter, you would know it is the user that turns the device into a tool or a toy.

12 year olds in middle school with BBs are not using them as tools. BBMing you friend 3 classes down to make fun of your teacher or talk about typical teenage drama is not being productive. Vuvuzela apps, siren apps and fart apps do not make your BB productive (all platforms have them). BBs are the only devices that come stock loaded with GAMES (unless a carrier pushes a demo onto an Android device, but it's rare).
    07-27-10 12:47 PM
    greatest. post. ever. XD
    07-27-10 01:45 PM
    I love my BlackBerry and will remain loyal to RIM most likely for the rest of my life.
    BBF!

(BlackBerry forever)
    Considered marrying your BB?

(Yes it's possible.. Man Marries Video Game Girlfriend: Next Step After Object Sexuality? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com)

I mean you're only 16 and as someone slightly older, I'd say you should "go out" with a few other devices before you commit yourself.. You never know what you can find out about yourself..

Besides, what you want at sucha young age might change as you grow older.
    People change. And divorces can messy.

07-27-10 01:54 PM
    BEFORE i state my personal opinions i want to clarify that these are my opinions NOT an attack on a single person or device.

Blackberry is a tool. A tool that i love to use. Its a toy too though. The toy part doesn't take away from the tool part though. I have had an HTC hero and Android phones are great machines. I used it for 4 weeks before i went back to sprint and said i need my blackberry back! The Hero did everything i needed it to and a lot more i didn't. I don't need to have a fake light saber or whatever but its cool that it has the function. Blackberrys offer games with it. big woop its brickbreaker and poker and so on. These aren't exactly modern warefare 2. They are there for when you ride the train, wait for a plane or car pooling and you don't wanna talk to the person next to you. They are a distraction. Androids games are much more... invasive. Maybe not the right word but i feel as if i am not gonna pass time with a lot of the games they offered but just kill my battery.

The iPhone is kinda the same. I use one on a daily basis at work only because i don't have a choice. If the person that chose the phones let me choose i would have just gotten another blackberry. I have little interaction with it unless i need it. There are a few apps here and there i have downloaded but mostly just cuz they were free some paid. I have to admit the iPhone has more refined corporate functions then android and that is a plus. The iphone though is still more of a gimmick. If i am gonna see if something is level im gonna use my level not my iphone.

alright here are a few pluses for each from my view.

Blackberry:
    Push Email - I need my emails now for work not in 20 minutes when its gonna sync.

BBM - Its more efficient to communicate phone to phone with some people because we dont need each others phone numbers. Coworkers and i have this set up so we can still contact each other if need be but we don't need our address books flooded with excess people.

The hardware is not up there with the evo/ iphone with 1 ghz processors but that has never stopped me from sending an email or checking the weather.

Android

Great formfactor - I have been very impressed with the looks and the quality of the android phones coming out. The hero i had was built well and was easy to use the evo has a massive screen and the droid x looks sexy .

FREE FREE FREE!!! i love that part about the market so much of it is free and or cheap enough where it may as well be.

Iphone:

the touch screen can't be touched - I will admit of all the touch screen devices i've played with it just works.

ummm i know its kinda dumb but i can't think of anything else i like about this phone. I love my bb but it has competition and that is what makes all three of these types of phone great.

When it comes down to it none of them are the best for everyone but one of them will be the best for YOU.

btw i know this isn't the best or most organized post but its rant sooo deal with
    07-27-10 02:03 PM
    No, you are wrong, it was an attack, even though you may not have meant it that way. It's the oldest attack on the book that all BB users seem to like to throw out. If you knew anything abut the device, or ANY device for that matter, you would know it is the user that turns the device into a tool or a toy.
    If I say it's not an attack, it's not an attack! It's not my nature to attack anything or anyone. I've acknowledged in my previous posts that I'm in no position to attack rival devices, their respective owners, the owner's mindset or level of maturity. Even if I had derogatory feelings regarding a particular device, I'm not so juvenile as to voice my opinion in a setting such as this.

You apparently missed post #10 on the first page where I stated that I have no experience with BlackBerry's rival devices; therefore, when you jump in a thread and decide you want to post, it would probably behoove you to read ALL the posts before posting to minimize the possibility of you making a spectacle of yourself.

You are absolutely correct in that the owner's usage dictates what category the device will be labeled. And conversely, the manufacturer dictates what category the device will be labeled by thrusting it into a particular market.

And lastly, what can be said of the character or mindset of one who feels compelled to vehemently defend a product, and attack the person whom they feel attacked said product?

Jeez, what is it with that word "toy"? When did the word "toy" become derogatory? You'd think the flag was desecrated.
    07-27-10 11:07 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD