7 36.84%
  • NO

0 0%
  • I would pay for the service

3 15.79%
  • Yes , but only if free

9 47.37%
    Desktop Video Chat coming to BBM for the Enterprise (eBBM) | Rapid Mobile

Rapid mobile is reporting that desktop video chat will becoming to EBBM, so great good news woo hoo, what no consumer version why not?
    According to John there is not enough pull from the consumer side, really John? I have not even gone a week without a mention in the forums about BBM on the desktop, I feel that there is just no vision for BBM as a consumer product, these people are still out of touch, hell create the demand. I just can't see how he thinks that the 85 million or so user's wouldn't want this product, why wouldn't they, should be the question he is asking. I for one will email them directly and let them know I want this.

Please vote on this pole maybe they just need to see the demand, God knows they don't know how to create the demand.
    04-14-14 06:55 PM
    Well, the decision to focus on eBBM for desktop is simple. Have BBM as a entire enterprise communication application. In most enterprise solutions, you have to email quick comments and questions to your co-workers when they are away from the computer (chat application). It would be much easier to BBM them and they'll get it on their phone and desktop. This means less emails and more action/decision making on the go. And for the IT, it means better integration between mobile, tablets, and desktop devices. I'm sure it'll be easier to manage.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 07:45 PM
    What is the difference of Microsoft lync?

? Slicing using my ?
    04-14-14 09:30 PM
    Why is "Yes" an answer when it is there two other times in the poll? Answers 3 and 4 cover all aspects of "yes".
    04-14-14 09:40 PM
    What is the difference of Microsoft lync?
    Simple. Its not as useful as Lync.
    04-14-14 09:42 PM
    I think it's an awesome move, you get capture that Skype type of feel to BBM and you can gain users that way.. then they can add VOIP calls via BBM on desktop or BlackBerry which is a way to kick viber and whatsapp out if the playing field, then your left with Skype which will compete but BlackBerry will always have those roots for IM whereas Skype doesn't..
    Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 10:00 PM
    How do you know that it is not useful as lync? Have you ever use ebbm?

? Slicing using my ?
    04-14-14 10:01 PM
    It's insane if they don't bring video cross-platform. I understand the business side of things and ebbm but to not have a cross platform version is crazy

Posted from my zee thirt teee
    04-14-14 10:15 PM
    Simple. Its not as useful as Lync.
    I think the point is BlackBerry will be competing with Lync and it's features will be similar.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 10:54 PM
    What I can't seem to understand is, if eBBM is just a subset of BBM, then what is the benefit of developing this feature at a cost and then restricting the access that can drive the user base growth where the users are. EDIT: Can someone clarify what type of infrastructure may be needed for someone to run eBBM.
    Last edited by mrskycar; 04-15-14 at 07:45 AM.
    04-15-14 07:34 AM
    They probably don't have the resources to focus on business and consumer right now.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 05:34 PM
    Stick to Enterprise business BlackBerry, Joe consumer want everything for free plus a free set of Ginu knives!
    bluetroll and johnnyuk like this.
    04-15-14 05:40 PM
    I think you are right on all counts. This is definitely something that should be offered to the consumer

Posted with none other than the Zed 10
    04-15-14 05:43 PM
    I think the point is BlackBerry will be competing with Lync and it's features will be similar
    I'm afraid that makes it an uphill battle. Lync works well, and is integrated within the MS Office sphere.
    04-24-14 04:26 PM
    But office doesn't manage your mobile devices.

And consumers already have video built into BBM...and free Voice, what EBBM provides is needed to encourage enterprise uptake of BES12...it's a must have IMO.

Is that a Z30...yes, yes it is.
    04-24-14 04:49 PM
    While I most definitely agree that desktop BBM for consumers (prosumers) is very important, I can understand their focus on enterprise first.

They have got to sell BES 10 licenses with extra features so that companies won't think twice to look further. With all the growing concerns about internet security, if eBBM can bring a truly encrypted and safe method of communication including being available from desktop, that might be killer features enough for companies!

Hauling in those companies brings more BES10 installations and generates cash!

Afterwards, they can move BBM desktop to consumers.

They need to get profitable soon, and they won't be making more money by giving us BBM desktop.
    digitalman101 likes this.
    04-25-14 12:50 AM
    I love BBM, love it. But they are falling farther behind with these sort of things. I ended up changing my handset to a Moto X as it will have Viber Natively, and considering I spend all day in the office working on a mac, then go downstairs and lift and android tablet and can retire my phone to get soem peace from clients, or even bounce onto my wife's windows 8 laptop.

It's actually a better all round business solution that what BBM is, you need a robust desktop client on ALL platforms, none of this gimped Mac releases we've had over the years. Metro app for Windows 8/RT as well.
    05-09-14 03:22 AM
    I think the point is BlackBerry will be competing with Lync and it's features will be similar.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I was about to say as well. Lets look at what BlackBerry is trying to do here.

The goal is to monitize BBM as an enterprise service by offering eBBM as an alternative to Microsoft Lync. The big advantage that I see is that it will be accessible from both the smartphone as well as the pc. In my company, we have Lync, but it is only accessible from the desktop.

It ties into BlackBerry's decision to focus on enterprise as its first priority.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    05-09-14 03:40 AM
    That's what I was about to say as well. Lets look at what BlackBerry is trying to do here.

The goal is to monitize BBM as an enterprise service by offering eBBM as an alternative to Microsoft Lync. The big advantage that I see is that it will be accessible from both the smartphone as well as the pc.In my company, we have Lync, but it is only accessible from the desktop.

It ties into BlackBerry's decision to focus on enterprise as its first priority.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10

Lync is available for ios, WP and Android so no advantage there.
    05-09-14 05:13 AM
    Lync is available for ios, WP and Android so no advantage there.
    Yeah, and I utilize Lync via Enterprise Messenger on my Z10 through BES10, but it's only text messaging functions. I think eBBM can compete on price, assuming same features (sharing of desktops in meetings, voice and video calls, sharing of files, etc.). From my understanding, licensing can get pretty pricey for Lync if you want all users to have all those features.
    05-09-14 10:31 PM
    You can already run an android emulator to your desktop so bbm for PC is Already a reality.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    05-09-14 11:08 PM
    You can already run an android emulator to your desktop so bbm for PC is Already a reality.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    You are only half-right. When people say Desktop BBM, to me it means that it'd work simultaneously on desktop and phone.

You could be chatting on computer while you are at work and then start chatting from your phone as you leave work (with all chats synched).

This is how iMessage works. You could chat on Macbook and all chats are synched to your phone instantly so you could continue chatting from your iPhone.

With BBM, you can only login from ONE device. If you login from Android version emulated on your desktop, it'd sign you out of your phone and then you'd have to re-sign in on your phone, re-synch all your groups, channel posts and so on.

Not just iMessage, I think Google Hangouts works like this too.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 11:34 PM
    What I can't seem to understand is, if eBBM is just a subset of BBM, then what is the benefit of developing this feature at a cost and then restricting the access that can drive the user base growth where the users are. EDIT: Can someone clarify what type of infrastructure may be needed for someone to run eBBM.
    eBBM will need BES10 or BES12 from what I've read.
    05-10-14 12:49 AM
    You are only half-right. When people say Desktop BBM, to me it means that it'd work simultaneously on desktop and phone.

You could be chatting on computer while you are at work and then start chatting from your phone as you leave work (with all chats synched).

This is how iMessage works. You could chat on Macbook and all chats are synched to your phone instantly so you could continue chatting from your iPhone.

With BBM, you can only login from ONE device. If you login from Android version emulated on your desktop, it'd sign you out of your phone and then you'd have to re-sign in on your phone, re-synch all your groups, channel posts and so on.

Not just iMessage, I think Google Hangouts works like this too.

Posted via CB10
    Hangouts let's you stay signed-in on multiple devices and syncs all conversations.
    Same with Skype.
    05-10-14 12:50 AM
    Step 1. Make eBBM better than Lync.
    Step 2. Get bought by Microsoft for double digit billions.
    Step 3. Profit

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 01:05 AM
27 12