06-29-10 11:09 PM
37 12
tools
    I don't see anything wrong with wanting the latest technology but to sit and dwell on why you don't have it is simply pathetic. If this is your life, get up from behind the computer and go outside and get some exposure to that yellow thing in the sky. Most people recognize it as the sun but some of you probably have not seen the light of day in years. Your life is not over because you do not have the latest and greatest hardware in the newest nerd case strapped to your belt.
    04-29-10 07:12 AM
    I don't see anything wrong with buying myself a new phone when I want to. I work hard, am a good person, volunteer for at a couple of places where I live, don't over do on anything else. Why can't I buy a new phone to play with if it is one of my hobbies? That's like telling my daughter she cant get a new pair of shoes because she has 1 pair that are just fine. She likes shoes. So do a ton of other people. We all have our hobbies and something that we like to do that we spend money on. Fishing is one that a lot of guys do. Should they only be able to buy one fishing rod and use that one until it no longer works. I usually sell my phone when I am done and buy a new one. I don't give it away but someone is buying it (usually a friend) who needs a phone because something has happend to thiers. It's not like I am just throwing it in the trash. If it is not your thing then its not. I am sure you have a hobbie or something you like to buy also.
    04-29-10 11:25 AM
    I agree...people have their hobbies whether its shoes, designer clothes and bags. Spend your money as you please. Limiting your cell phone purchases will not solve the worlds problems. We are selfish and greedy as a whole. I work hard and make sure I take care of my family and if I have the means I buy what I want whether I need it or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 08:58 PM
    That's very cool of you. So you give your BlackBerry away free to somewone after you are done using it? I applaud. I thinkl that's what I'm going to do when I am finally done with my Tour. I will donate it to someone who needs it.

Yes, I do. I've also helped other members acquire devices, or helped find new homes for the odd BlackBerry or other phone. CrackBerry has a thread specifically for thus called Pay It Forward, which has become a Sticky now.

Last year, I found a thread where a young stay at home mother needed a Sprint phone. We had two brand new refurbs we'd received just prior to moving up to the 8330. Seeing that, I figured that sending her the device wouldn't present a problem, and via PM and USPS, sent one of them to her. I was inspired by another member who'd done the same with a BlackBerry, to another member that made a side trip into Apple frenzy, only to find he'd made a mistake, after selling his BlackBerry. Then he lost his job, and couldn't afford to replace the sold device.

Another member while unemployed, going through a divorce, and being a single mom had her Pearl falling apart. A member created a thread asking what he should do with a Pearl laying around. I sent him a PM request to see if he could donate it to her. He replied, indicating that he would be happy to do so. His Pearl, and generosity has coincidentally stimulated a chain of events and has totally changed her circumstances.

A gesture of kindness can go a long way. A device for communications can change lives. And that effect, Paying it Forward, makes CrackBerry a unique forum for many of us.

Working these threads, helping others, is a gift I'm glad to share in.

Last edited by BergerKing; 04-29-10 at 09:59 PM.
    04-29-10 09:53 PM
    ^ I agree as well, but I'm gonna give you an example. Apple for examples does not release devices every 6 months or so, but every year or so. But let's not get into that apple vs blackberry business. I'm just using an example.

04-30-10 06:22 AM
    People wouldn't be so obsessed if companies didn't come out with stuff that made your device obsolete in 6 months after you bought it. What happened to the good ole days when you actually had the same device for 2 years. Nowadays there are so many tech companies jumping in more than ever on smartphones it ridiculous. For instance, you buy an Android phone that Motorola made you're good. But now HTC wants to come out with a better and faster one. Whereas motorola wasn't going to top the one it already made for another year but you have another company using the same platform that tops it in 3 months.

I wouldn't go as far as calling people pathetic as they can do what they like with their money but I get the point. And yes some people do go overboard. I'm actually pretty surprised at myself for being able to use the same device for almost a year. And it will be a year because I'm not getting rid of it until the newest one comes out. But also remember that CB represents a very small percentage of users. The average user isn't trying to replace their phone every 3 months. Most of the time they are unaware of the "latest and greatest". Most users keep their devices for a while and wait til they are eligible for upgrade and not try to get over on their carrier, scheme an upgrade or try to flip their current device for cash towards a new one.

But people do this is all areas of life, not just phones. Some people do it with cars which is why they lease. Some do it with clothes and shoes. ****, some even do it with boyfriends and girlfriends. They gotta upgrade when something better comes a long. Just how people are in general.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 04-30-10 at 10:04 AM.
    04-30-10 09:52 AM
    Companies don't design things to become outdated. They design the best product they can with the restraints they have, then start working on newer better products to stay competitive. If you don't like innovation I have a rotary phone to sell you.
    I would slightly disagree here because some companies are already looking to the future devices but they realize it will take time so they push out what they can now to keep customers and sales to buy more time. Instead of them waiting to release one device with everything, they'll release several with incremental upgrades. Remember, companies have to keep the cashflow and they have to keep their products out there and doing 1 a year seems to only be working for Apple right now. A lot of these companies know what they will want to release in 2011 but that won't stop them from releasing something inferior in 2010.
    04-30-10 10:01 AM
    Sorry if it sounded harsh. I'm not calling the people pathetic, but more like the excessive inordinate buying of... anything. I do the same with clothes. But I've stopped a couple months ago. It was pathetic to just keep buying without proper reason.

04-30-10 03:43 PM
    Lol. I just got a pin from a little child calling me poor and jealous because "I have a 8520 and I can't afford a 9700". Now these people are pathetic.

04-30-10 04:31 PM
    and I have an old 8800 Seriously.
    06-29-10 05:50 PM
    but I love it, and proud of it. Of course, i don't mind getting a new one like the Bold 9700. If I may steal from an old saying: The heart is willing, but the pocket is not.

Mabuhay!!
    06-29-10 05:52 PM
    A lot of people are just addicted to phones I guess. I've seen people here switch phones like shoes. Some people are just never satisfied.
    Last edited by dwe28; 07-05-10 at 09:35 AM.
    06-29-10 11:09 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD