Making it known that BB OS 10 will not support any current devices. I think the Bold is the best Blackberry yet and being half touch and half keyboard is great. I REALLY want to get the device but knowing it wont be supported within the next year is a HUGE let down too me. Idk if this has been discussed before because I am new to the forums, but does anyone else feel the same way? The new bold and torch could really be hurt because of this..
    01-07-12 09:53 PM
    I really do not see where RIM is hurting themselves by disclosing this. They would be hurt more if they did not tell the truth.

Most consumers do not care about an OS anyway, as long it the device meets their needs.

The only people that really care about an OS are visitors to tech forums and tech bloggers/reviewers.
    01-07-12 09:57 PM
    The only let down I see with all this of completely new OS is that BB10 will no be able to run the apps from earlier OSs, or at least that's what I read... Makes me wonder why they cannot develop a player for those BB apps, since BB10 will be able to run Android apps because RIM made the Android Player.
    01-07-12 10:03 PM
    I think its going to some people off that the OS 10 won't be able to run on the OS7 devices. That is one of the reasons I have yet to purchase the 9900. Also I'd like to see the data that supports the statement "The only people that really care about an OS are visitors to tech forums and tech bloggers/reviewers."...
    01-07-12 10:16 PM
    I think its going to some people off that the OS 10 won't be able to run on the OS7 devices. That is one of the reasons I have yet to purchase the 9900. Also I'd like to see the data that supports the statement "The only people that really care about an OS are visitors to tech forums and tech bloggers/reviewers."...
    I do not have any specific data. However, just from personal experience, the people who are not interested in tech products to the extreme that they would bother with forums/tech sites tend to not even know what OS is installed. Many will just keep running whatever OS was on the device when they bought it.

For instance, I knew someone who had an old 8330. She was running the OS it had when she got it and had no clue what themes even were.
    01-07-12 10:20 PM
    Making it known that BB OS 10 will not support any current devices.
    Yep. Of all the horrible mistakes the half-CEOs made crashing RIM, ignoring the Osborne Effect was probably the final nail.

You just can't sell something to someone in one hand for OVER A YEAR while telling them your are moving all of the company's future to a new, incompatible product.

The "true-believers" will love it... they think you'll continue to upgrade and support "Old Reliable", and they can jump on the new thing after it's well-established.

Except the new thing NEVER gets a foothold, and the old thing deflates rapidly once no new users will consider it.

The true-believers will walk you down a dead-end, every time.
    Exiled Bulldawg likes this.
    01-07-12 10:21 PM
    I really do not see where RIM is hurting themselves by disclosing this. They would be hurt more if they did not tell the truth.

Most consumers do not care about an OS anyway, as long it the device meets their needs.

The only people that really care about an OS are visitors to tech forums and tech bloggers/reviewers
    I actually agree.

Go ask the average person what OS version they have on their device. I am actually in a position to do this daily. Saying 1% knew what OS version on their devices without checking is being extremely charitable. Less than 50% know what OS is on their device
    up488 likes this.
    01-07-12 10:26 PM
    Don't know why people keep saying the BB7 devices 'won't be supported' when BB10 is released. Did they stop supporting BB5 when BB6 or BB7 came out? Do you think your BB7 phone will suddenly stop working when BB10 launches? New models from all manufacturers are constantly coming out with software that is not backward compatible. And I don't want to hear about iPhones, because the iOS5 that runs on a 4S is no more the same one that runs on a 3Gs than BB7 on a 9900 is the same as on a 9810. I don't get what's the big deal.
    Laura Knotek and kbz1960 like this.
    01-07-12 10:27 PM
    ...by the negligence of the dual-core ceo's. they were under the delusion of being so successful that lazaridis dared to walk out of an interview.

they were so successful that they could afford NOT to listen what the customer wanted and NOT prepare and follow technological trends in the mobile sector. the problem is not the competition getting stiffer. the dual-core ceo's are the problem. the only reason they are still dual-core ceo's is that canadian people are too nice.

effectively for every step forward the company has taken 2 steps backwards. you can notice it in the latest products
    examples:
    9900: downgraded battery, poor camera, bricking, stale os7, etc despite having a sleek design).
    9850/9860: do yourself a favor, grab your 83xx curve and some super glue and save your money; or you get yourself a "crappy" iphone 3gs for much cheaper.

i like blackberrys and have been an user since 2007. if they go under this year i will not lose a single minute of sleep.
    01-07-12 11:29 PM
    ...by the negligence of the dual-core ceo's. they were under the delusion of being so successful that lazaridis dared to walk out of an interview.

they were so successful that they could afford NOT to listen what the customer wanted and NOT prepare and follow technological trends in the mobile sector. the problem is not the competition getting stiffer. the dual-core ceo's are the problem. the only reason they are still dual-core ceo's is that canadian people are too nice.

effectively for every step forward the company has taken 2 steps backwards. you can notice it in the latest products
    examples:
    9900: downgraded battery, poor camera, bricking, stale os7, etc despite having a sleek design).
    9850/9860: do yourself a favor, grab your 83xx curve and some super glue and save your money; or you get yourself a "crappy" iphone 3gs for much cheaper.

i like blackberrys and have been an user since 2007. if they go under this year i will not lose a single minute of sleep.
    They aren't going under/out of business or anywhere.
    01-08-12 03:15 AM
    Hardly anyone knows about the BB7 devices, much less know about BB10...
    01-08-12 03:26 AM
    The only let down I see with all this of completely new OS is that BB10 will no be able to run the apps from earlier OSs, or at least that's what I read... Makes me wonder why they cannot develop a player for those BB apps, since BB10 will be able to run Android apps because RIM made the Android Player.
    if i were to guess, the earlier BB10 os will be able to support older apps from earlier os. If i'm not wrong there java player on playbook too. Kevin wrote an article last may about this which i think made sense.

BlackBerry PlayBook Native Email and PIM Running via BlackBerry OS Emulation?!! Makes hybrid QNX/BB OS plausible on new phones? | CrackBerry.com
    01-08-12 03:35 AM
    Early in the PlayBook promotion , they had talked about both an Android Player and a Java player for legacy BB apps. At some point, they continued talk about the AP, but the Java Player kinda fell off the radar. Not sure if they hit a technical roadblock or scrapped it for reasons to do with native BB Tablet OS apps or maybe some other reason...
    01-08-12 03:44 AM
    Its gonna be almost a year, probably more if rim stays true to form before bb 10 devices really land. Till then bb 7 is very good and gaining support/apps. As above it won't be ditched either, support will continue for a while- os 5 still has good support! I can't wait for the new device/os but for now my 9900 is good and only getting better.
    01-08-12 04:37 AM
    Yep. Of all the horrible mistakes the half-CEOs made crashing RIM, ignoring the Osborne Effect was probably the final nail.

You just can't sell something to someone in one hand for OVER A YEAR while telling them your are moving all of the company's future to a new, incompatible product.

The "true-believers" will love it... they think you'll continue to upgrade and support "Old Reliable", and they can jump on the new thing after it's well-established.

Except the new thing NEVER gets a foothold, and the old thing deflates rapidly once no new users will consider it.

The true-believers will walk you down a dead-end, every time.
    Wrong, Rim still supports any Blackberry they ever sold. I got support for a 7230, I was able to download an older Desktop Manager to connect it to PC and then I downloaded the newest OS available. Could've also downloaded and installed any OS available for it.

Rim will never stop supporting OS7
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-08-12 at 05:04 AM.
    01-08-12 05:02 AM
    I actually agree.

Go ask the average person what OS version they have on their device. I am actually in a position to do this daily. Saying 1% knew what OS version on their devices without checking is being extremely charitable. Less than 50% know what OS is on their device
    I completely agree. Most people I know couldn't even tell you what OS version they are running. I know some BB users who have never even hooked their BB up to a PC to update the OS. Generally most people aren't concerned about that...

unlike us CB users who stay glued watching out for updates
    01-08-12 07:11 AM

The only people that really care about an OS are visitors to tech forums and tech bloggers/reviewers.
    Wishful thinking.

Jump with me to December 2012, and pretend that RIM is actually selling a BB X/10 phone.

Q "I saw the ad about ______ feature, show me how it does that"
    A "Well, this blackberry and this blackberry that I am selling new today don't do that and never will, only this one"

Q "I saw that the new OS is out with a bunch of new features, how do I get that OS on the phone I bought twelve hours ago?"
    A "You don't get the new OS and never will, but you are eligible for an upgrade in 729.5 days"
    Q "What, is this an Android?!?!?!"

Q "OK, I'm considering porting my app to the new BB OS now that it supports ___ feature. They have lots of users, right?"
    A "Well, not exactly. You're talking about the new OS and so far it only has ___ users. Most of the users are on the old OS and can't upgrade"
    Q "OK, so my ad for my new app needs to say 'Now available for Blackberry!*' in big print, and in small print '*Only works with blackberries sold after ___ 2012, and only 25% of those'? Pass."

They may not precisely understand that it's the bone-headed OS strategy to blame, but they will understand that something is much worse than it is now with RIM. If we ever even get to that point.
    Last edited by Palmless; 01-08-12 at 08:31 AM.
    01-08-12 08:29 AM
    This is the same on the new OS7 phones (I wish someone had told me) but when I switched from the Storm 2 to the OS 7 Torch I lost half my apps even major ones th
    Like Shazaam, map my ride, weather bug and hootesuite

And none of there sites could tell me when an OS7 app was coming
    01-08-12 08:50 AM
    Wishful thinking.

Jump with me to December 2012, and pretend that RIM is actually selling a BB X/10 phone.

Q "I saw the ad about ______ feature, show me how it does that"
    A "Well, this blackberry and this blackberry that I am selling new today don't do that and never will, only this one"

Q "I saw that the new OS is out with a bunch of new features, how do I get that OS on the phone I bought twelve hours ago?"
    A "You don't get the new OS and never will, but you are eligible for an upgrade in 729.5 days"
    Q "What, is this an Android?!?!?!"

Q "OK, I'm considering porting my app to the new BB OS now that it supports ___ feature. They have lots of users, right?"
    A "Well, not exactly. You're talking about the new OS and so far it only has ___ users. Most of the users are on the old OS and can't upgrade"
    Q "OK, so my ad for my new app needs to say 'Now available for Blackberry!*' in big print, and in small print '*Only works with blackberries sold after ___ 2012, and only 25% of those'? Pass."

They may not precisely understand that it's the bone-headed OS strategy to blame, but they will understand that something is much worse than it is now with RIM. If we ever even get to that point.
    On the other hand:
    Q: "Wait, you mean this new one does exactly the same thing as my old one?"

I still don't get your point.

01-08-12 10:16 AM
    Dropping support would be the wrong term, I prefer EOL. The entire idea of them releasing hardware that doesn't support at least a few upgrades is just ignorant to say the least. Half of the OS5 devices couldn't get OS 6, none of the OS 6 devices could get OS7 and now none of the OS 7 devices will get OS10. This causes huge fragmentation issues and was a terrible move on RIM's part.

The iPhone 3GS can still run iOS 5.1 and even the first Android phone can run Android 4.0 through rooting (barely useable, but it's possible).
    01-08-12 04:19 PM
    You have to remember that BB10 will be on dual-core devices. No BB7 device has dual core, so they won't be upgradable to BB10.

That being said, I would think they would keep BB7 around for quite a while, maybe as their lower-end devices. RIM will keep supporting the devices. It is just a matter of developers continuing too do so.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    01-08-12 04:44 PM
    what really hurt was to anounce bbx... with all that info of incompatibility and then delaying bb10. this means they pushed a lot user and especially programmer to other devices. the costumers and programmers which were not pushed to other OSes now have again to wait...
    01-08-12 05:12 PM
    Well, when the Galaxy Nexus came out with ICS (4.0), there were quite a few apps that didn't work with the new OS. That didn't stop the droves from wanting the phone and buying it knowing that it would take a bit before the apps caught up to the software.
    01-08-12 05:46 PM

The iPhone 3GS can still run iOS 5.1 and even the first Android phone can run Android 4.0 through rooting (barely useable, but it's possible).
    That's a little exaggerated don't you think? Or do you mean theoretically possible, because there are a ton of Android phones that won't see 3.0, much less 4.0. Heck a lot won't even see 2.3. I would imagine that, theoretically, some 3-4 year old BBs could run some newer OS, if given enough technical attention.

Comparison of Android devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    01-08-12 05:48 PM
    Well, when the Galaxy Nexus came out with ICS (4.0), there were quite a few apps that didn't work with the new OS. That didn't stop the droves from wanting the phone and buying it knowing that it would take a bit before the apps caught up to the software.
    Same happens on major IOS updates, some apps don't work straight away,
    01-08-12 05:57 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD