11-16-11 11:34 AM
38 12
tools
    Its true BBX will be a do or die situation for Rim but they still have about 70 million users as of today however they need to make some progress.... And as for all the people who are die-hard qwerty fans i feel kinda sad for them because the age of qwerty is over and is beginning to die... it was even made clear at Cnet that by the year 2100 they all be relics of the past except for in developing nations....
    11-15-11 01:41 PM
    let us hope and pray that this doesnt end the same way for rim because then we'd be left with nothing but android or ios yuck
    11-15-11 01:43 PM
    Its true BBX will be a do or die situation for Rim but they still have about 70 million users as of today however they need to make some progress.... And as for all the people who are die-hard qwerty fans i feel kinda sad for them because the age of qwerty is over and is beginning to die... it was even made clear at Cnet that by the year 2100 they all be relics of the past except for in developing nations....
    I will be so dead by 2100 that it won't matter to me! (sorry, but I couldn't help it)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 02:47 PM
    I think BBX will have to be "awesome" so to win over the negative sentiment out there. What I fear is that die-hard BB fans like myself will actually not like BBX as much as BBOS.
    Worst case scenario for RIM is that Android and iOS users still prefer their own OS over BBX and the BB fans also dislike it compared to BBOS. In that case RIM is screwed.
    11-15-11 07:59 PM
    Well, they do have options. They could go back to BBOS. They could also go android or WP.

Im still not sure what BBX will be like. Have a feeling it will be an amazing OS. However Im just not sure if there will be any support from 3rd party devs. And thats key. Without apps it will fail. And going by the Playbook, it doesnt look great.
    I'm hoping bbx won't be much different then the playbook is now as far as UI.
    11-15-11 08:38 PM

Honestly, when has RIM *ever* demonstrated it has the ability to create software that is competitive. This is fundamentally a company that does not understand software and they are competing with some of the best software companies in the world (Apple, Google, etc.).

RIM will likely survive in some niche areas where competitors won't bother going (devices with physical keyboards, cheap texting devices for poorer countries, heavily locked down corporate email devices, etc.) but I don't see them ever playing a role in the wider mobile consumer computing market anymore. The opportunity has come and gone.
    Depends what you consider competitive software. When it comes to communication, reliability, battery and simple apps, BB is on par or better with the software and hardware offerings of the competitors. I still use a 9700 and the thing is a joy to use and saves my *** all of the time. I live in Brno, CZ and two weeks ago was in Krakow on a one day trip. On the way to Brno, my train broke down (this is not uncommon in Poland, their trains are slow and awful.). Because of the delay, I missed my connection to my IC train and immediately logged onto my Railteam mobile app and immediately found a train leaving from my small station back to katowice where I could pick up another IC in the morning. I booked a hotel in Katowice from my BB and continued handling emails the next morning all the way to breclav and then Brno. 36 hours of hard use and it still had juice left. I also used very little data to accomplish everything which is nice when I pay 2000 CZK for a 250mb EU roaming package. BB compression rocks. My collegue had a 450 euro data roaming charge because of his data sucking IP4. On a BB it would have been about 100-125 euro. That's a big difference.
    This weekend I was in Rome and Naples and had a friend drop a iphone from waist height onto cobblestones, the screen on the front was totally destroyed, not just spidered. I've dropped my 9700 many times, a lot more violently then that, with no ill effects outside of scrapes in the bezel. He went to the apple store and spent another 800 euro on a new one. I haven't spent 800 euro on my last three BB's, and they are all still in service with family/friends.
    My bb is two years old, still runs like new, defines reliable, has the apps I need and works 100% as a communication device. I may get a 9900 or 9790(batt life concerns) for the novelty of having a newer device, but I haven't found anything my 9700 can't handle besides large graphic heavy webpages that are never work related. I have a Playbook or laptop for that anyway. BB software is very competitive, just depends on what you want it to do.

11-16-11 05:43 AM
    I think what RIM needs to do when the time comes, and that time is going to hoepfully be soon is to spend big on marketing. No crappy adverts with irrelvant or pointless details! But get the phones hyped up and in everyone's faces to show what a QNX BlackBerry can do. And I wouldn't say pricing it well wouldn't be a bad idea. I would pay for it as I am a fanboy, but when you are up against some already decent phones - promotional offerings is going to be something that would go in their favour.

I think RIM will pull it off. There is just so much negative attention coming from the US tech journalists they need something to chew on and a good set of ads demonstrating the product and creating a "cool" factor to it is where they need to go.

Very few people are unimpressed with Blackberry phones. They just don't know much about them as the marketing is weak!

11-16-11 06:46 AM
    I think what RIM needs to do when the time comes, and that time is going to hoepfully be soon is to spend big on marketing. No crappy adverts with irrelvant or pointless details! But get the phones hyped up and in everyone's faces to show what a QNX BlackBerry can do. And I wouldn't say pricing it well wouldn't be a bad idea. I would pay for it as I am a fanboy, but when you are up against some already decent phones - promotional offerings is going to be something that would go in their favour.

Exactly, how many people would pay $299 for a Blackberry instead of $199 for an iphone 4s?
    moiselles likes this.
    11-16-11 07:22 AM
    I actually paid full price for my 9930 and returned the iphone 4, and I would do it again. BB simply is the best phone for me, although I am sure that that is not the case for everyone else. It depends on what you need and want in your phone.
    11-16-11 08:17 AM
    But we are Blackberry fan's! We'd pay a lot for our devices. But the average consumer who doesn't know what the difference between a iPhone, a Droid, or a BB is will not pay a high price tag.

In the US, RIM should offer the devices cheaper than first of all the iPhone and then slightly under the Android's. Otherwise they will never get any old user back. Even the slightly unhappy with the iPhone would probably go for it again if it is cheaper.

Just my thoughts though! I hope RIM has done research into pricing structures...

11-16-11 09:59 AM
    this is the way i see it, RIM for the past 2years have been losing stock value and their phones have been left behind. they did not do anything for 2years. Now apple and google have taken the lead, the hype over any new apple product is too great for RIM to get any recognition in the game. RIM will come out with a device that is already out in the market, it will not be revolutionary or appealing to anyone that already has the last Iphone or the lasts Android. only people that will be looking for to it will be its current die heart fans. As much as i hate apple, i may be getting the new iphone5(next year). apple/android has many functional apps that RIM doesnt. no one wants to make apps for RIM, they are changing their OS, y would i make an app for OS7, when next year it wont be valid on their new OS?
    11-16-11 10:04 AM
    I sure hope it does work for BB, but I don't see BBX being the be-all-end-all of smartphones that many people here seem to think it is. Your average consumer doesn't even know what the heck it is nor do they really care about BBOS or iOS or Android OS. They just see a phone and hope it works for what they need it to do.
    Rickroller, avmsam and nyplaya610 like this.
    11-16-11 11:23 AM
    this is the way i see it, RIM for the past 2years have been losing stock value and their phones have been left behind. they did not do anything for 2years. Now apple and google have taken the lead, the hype over any new apple product is too great for RIM to get any recognition in the game. RIM will come out with a device that is already out in the market, it will not be revolutionary or appealing to anyone that already has the last Iphone or the lasts Android. only people that will be looking for to it will be its current die heart fans. As much as i hate apple, i may be getting the new iphone5(next year). apple/android has many functional apps that RIM doesnt. no one wants to make apps for RIM, they are changing their OS, y would i make an app for OS7, when next year it wont be valid on their new OS?
    But if you make an app through webworks, it can work on all three systems; BBX, OS7, and the PlayBook! Why wouldn't you do this especially since AppWorld doesn't have a bazillion apps. Your app will have a better chance of getting noticed and purchased. Of the 70 million BlackBerry users world-wide, you can make a nice profit if only one tenth of them purchase your app.
    Last edited by newcollector; 11-16-11 at 11:37 AM.
    nyplaya610 likes this.
    11-16-11 11:34 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD