I think the new BBX phones will probably be the last chance for RIM to get even with the competition. I personally love blackberry phones, but it seems that with all the problems RIM has been having with quality controll, delay of updates, and bad marketing RIM could actually become like Nokia.This is the WORST time for RIM to be slacking in these catagories because Apple, and Android phones are growing rapidly. If RIM doesnt succeed with BBX, im thinking it could be the end for RIM....

BUT THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS..... DONT TAKE THEM TOO SERIOUS.
    11-09-11 11:33 PM
    Yes it doesn't have to be their last chance but BBX is 70% of their chance of survival

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 11:52 PM
    I think the majority of BB Fanboys will agree with this. It's a sad thought. I can't imagine thinking of using anything other than BB. I think I just wont have a mobile if i cant be supplied with a BB
    11-09-11 11:55 PM
    Well, yes. All RIM's eggs are in that basket. I am pretty sure they are not working on two go forward strategies at once.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-10-11 12:09 AM
    Yep. Risk is the only way towards growth though. I have faith but the battle will most likely be in favor of ios and android devices.

11-10-11 12:43 AM
    BBX is the future OS for phones and tablets. If it doesn't work out, RIM will no longer have any time left to go back to the drawing board to start over (again). Do or die with BBX.
    11-10-11 12:46 AM
    Nothing wrong with BBOS, don't forget ALL 70 millions current active users are on BBOS right now. For me to like it, BBX will have to mimic BBOS in a full qwerty form factor.

11-10-11 01:25 AM
    Nothing wrong with BBOS, don't forget ALL 70 millions current active users are on BBOS right now. For me to like it, BBX will have to mimic BBOS in a full qwerty form factor.
    Then you're gonna be sad for a while I think.

I wonder what the "cheap" models with BBX will be, to cover all those 70m spread throughout the sub continent and the UK? I've only heard of one model so far - the Colt?
    11-10-11 02:29 AM
    i totally agree and i am preparing for the what if bbx fails. i do believe if rim pulls off BBX right(which i have serious doubt) they can take the lead in the smartphone race again. truth is so much damage has been done to rim's brand. i only know two people(my brother and I) in my circle of about 50 people that own a blackberry. they are gonna have to market the **** out of these phones. to prepare im going to buy two blackberry 9930's. i believe they are the best phone for COMMUNICATION on the market right now. so if i have to i will use the first one until it dies then the next one. should be covered for a minimum of 8 years. drastic..... i know dont judge.
    11-10-11 07:13 PM
    You folks all do realize that BBX is just a brand name right? BBX *is* the current PlayBook OS with a name that makes sense for multiple devices (like when Apple went from calling their OS "iPhone OS" to "iOS"). BBX will be nothing different from what you have already seen.
    11-10-11 07:20 PM
    You folks all do realize that BBX is just a brand name right? BBX *is* the current PlayBook OS with a name that makes sense for multiple devices (like when Apple went from calling their OS "iPhone OS" to "iOS"). BBX will be nothing different from what you have already seen.
    Hopefully they will toss in apps for mail, contacts, and calendar at some point.

11-10-11 07:31 PM
    Hopefully they will toss in apps for mail, contacts, and calendar at some point.

Yeah, and they're just apps. It's not like BBX is a new platform or something magical. It's just a name. Those PIM apps are going to come to BBX just the same as they come to "PlayBook OS".

Also, for the record, I think RIM is out of chances, which is why their share price is where it is. Honestly, when has RIM *ever* demonstrated it has the ability to create software that is competitive. This is fundamentally a company that does not understand software and they are competing with some of the best software companies in the world (Apple, Google, etc.).

RIM will likely survive in some niche areas where competitors won't bother going (devices with physical keyboards, cheap texting devices for poorer countries, heavily locked down corporate email devices, etc.) but I don't see them ever playing a role in the wider mobile consumer computing market anymore. The opportunity has come and gone.
    Last edited by WinningWithLogic; 11-10-11 at 07:39 PM.
    11-10-11 07:35 PM
    i think we understand that... but can they pull it off right and keep up with apple and google? i kinda think rim is stucked in the pass... i think they need to get new ceo in to change the mindset. they have a good starting point to build on.... its really not much they need to do. we will see how they handle bbx and 2012.
    11-10-11 07:38 PM
    i think BBX will be the proof that RIM doesnt have wat it takes to make it in the competitive smartphone world anymore. only thing saving them is BBM, and other companies are making similar cloud based messaging programs.
    11-14-11 01:32 AM
    I honestly don't think it'll be enough to save them.
    11-14-11 03:53 AM
    It will be enough to save but RIM have to go all out and full force not to mention the momentum of the speed of its delivery.

Without all of these criteria its going to be a down hill jump.
    11-14-11 04:00 AM
    I just read the Engadget review of the Kindle Fire. That's a Playbook boat anchor right there. It will sell millions and the PB will get forgotten, probably.
    11-14-11 05:35 AM
    Does anyone else find this outrageously similar to Palm? Palm switches to WebOS because they're old OS was getting rusty and then it fails after a little while in the same way that RIM is now starting fresh with a new OS since the old one is getting rusty. QNX even looks as if it is based off of some aspects of WebOS.
    nyplaya610 likes this.
    11-14-11 08:22 PM
    Isn't the latest rumour going around that the next BBX phone is supposed to some out Q3 of next year?

War Is All We Know
    11-15-11 01:14 AM
    BBX won't save rim.

you know what will?

1. a buyout
    2. complete change in management (i'm really just referring to the down syndrome twins)
    Rickroller likes this.
    11-15-11 03:51 AM
    Does anyone else find this outrageously similar to Palm? Palm switches to WebOS because they're old OS was getting rusty and then it fails after a little while in the same way that RIM is now starting fresh with a new OS since the old one is getting rusty. QNX even looks as if it is based off of some aspects of WebOS.

Apple dumped its old OS for a modern one (old Mac OS to Next). Microsoft did as well (Win95/98/me to the NT kernel based OS'es). It's what companies do once the old code becomes too hard to adapt.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-15-11 04:00 AM
    Apple dumped its old OS for a modern one (old Mac OS to Next). Microsoft did as well (Win95/98/me to the NT kernel based OS'es). It's what companies do once the old code becomes too hard to adapt.

And Apple had a huge advantage in not maintaining legacy support.
    They just announced one day that all those who were using PowerPC's are up the proverbial creek without the paddle.
    And people who had just bought their PowerPcs threw them in the trash in an ecstatic frenzy.
    The problem for MS and RIM changing their OS is legacy support. They cannot tell their customers to go jump in the lake.
    11-15-11 04:19 AM
    I think BBX will have to be "awesome" so to win over the negative sentiment out there. What I fear is that die-hard BB fans like myself will actually not like BBX as much as BBOS.
    11-15-11 05:15 AM
    BBX is the future OS for phones and tablets. If it doesn't work out, RIM will no longer have any time left to go back to the drawing board to start over (again). Do or die with BBX.
    Well, they do have options. They could go back to BBOS. They could also go android or WP.

Im still not sure what BBX will be like. Have a feeling it will be an amazing OS. However Im just not sure if there will be any support from 3rd party devs. And thats key. Without apps it will fail. And going by the Playbook, it doesnt look great.
    11-15-11 10:15 AM
    I think BBX will have to be "awesome" so to win over the negative sentiment out there. What I fear is that die-hard BB fans like myself will actually not like BBX as much as BBOS.
    That's been a lingering wonder of mine too, what if it's too different and it alienates existing customers?
    11-15-11 10:18 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD