I went back to a BB Tour from an HTC Evo. Push-Email spoiled me. The everyday functions of an Evo 4G (games, web browsing, etc.) were awesome. But I send/receive too many emails a day to sync and end up with 15-20 messages to read @ once. Plus it didn't always sync like it was suppose to.
    08-17-10 07:03 AM
    I see this alot, if you only use your BB for texting messaging and emails why not get a regular keyboard phone? save 30 bucks a month.

I switch to the X also but had a different perspective, I think it does everything better than my Bold. I also text alot but the use of swype is awesome.
    Because I do use the other features that make the BlackBerry an effective tool and I don't pay any extra for it. My BlackBerry cost me exactly the same as a messaging phone, which I've had and hated passionately.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 07:45 AM
    I was thinking of going for the HTC on Verizon...but decided not to after trying it.

I think i'll just get an ipod touch to halt the FUN factor craving I had....i like my tour and will get the bold asap.
    08-17-10 08:01 AM
    This may be kind of long winded, but I didn't want to start a new thread with basically the same topic.

I recently switched back to BB (first back to my 9700 and then to the Torch) from a Nexus One, running Froyo.

I may be slightly biased, I've been a BB user since 2004 or 2005 and have had seven or eight different models...

I gave Android a try based on all the tech blog "experts" (extreme sarcasm) that told me how wonderful it is. What people don't think about sometimes is that the tech bloggers live and breathe by the latest and greatest tech, if it's not cutting edge, then in their mind it's crap.

The Nexus One was a great device, and Android was wonderful. Solid hardware and great features. Though it did have problems.

-It couldn't sync tasks and memos with my exchange account.

-Stability issues with Froyo. Specifically the /init process would use ALL available cpu power and the only way to stop it was a battery pull about five times a day. Could correct it by going back to 2.1, but I'd have to give up calendar sync.

-ActiveSync push is not always timely. And sometimes I'd have to remove my Exchange account from the phone and add it again to get email delivery working correctly. I run my own Exchange 2010 server and know that it wasn't a server issue.

-Battery life was just not enough.

But if my main use of my phone was browsing the web, twitter, you tube videos, and gmail; Android would have been perfectly fine. However, my main use is text messaging, email (exchange and gmail), BBM, Calendar/Tasks, and occasionally twitter. The BB just allows you to get those things done more efficiently.

So, after two months, I went back to my 9700. And on the 12th I got my Torch. As far as the OS 6, it has taken some getting used to, but works very well.

As an aside, here are my opinions on the Torch.

-The low-res screen? I haven't had an "OMG MY EYES ARE BLEEDING BECAUSE THE SCREEN IS SO LOW RES!" moment. It looks good indoors and out, I don't see what the big deal with the resolution in.

-The less than 1ghz processor? According to the tech blogs "All flagship devices should have at least a 1ghz processor." Why? No major slowdowns on the Torch yet, a little lag if I really try and bog it down, but I'd give up a little horse power for a few more hours of battery life. Making spec comparisons between different processor architectures and OS's is like comparing apples to bowling balls; they're both round.

-Build quality? Mine has been great. Sure there may be 1/32nd to 1/16th inch wiggle side to side when the screen is extended. But I don't expect that not to be there in a slider. It's one of the trade offs of the form factor. Keyboard is great as usual. Also, I'll note that I've never run out of space on any BB I've owned.

-Memory? More than adequate. I've never filled any BB I've owned.

Thanks for listening, I'm tired of just hearing about all those that switch from BB to Android/iPhone. And I'm tired of people who use their phone for mostly fun and not for actually getting work done via messaging, etc. dragging BBs name through the mud and saying its the end of the line for them.

For some people the iPhone or Android is a better option for their uses. But for many, many people BB is the best option by a big margin.
    08-17-10 08:26 AM
    TEN phones in under a year?? BIZARRE!! Stories like that lead me to believe you were doing SOMETHING wrong and/or expect too much perfection, or have the worst luck in the world. How could one person keep receiving 10 "defective" phones? That's too preposterous to be true. I call "pilot error". An investigation is pending...

(I bet Verizon employees HATE seeing you walk through the front door! "oh, NO!, here comes that clown that claims his phone is broken, AGAIN". )
    08-17-10 09:17 AM
    lets see almost half my phones broke because of screen issues, phone rebooting by its self, camera not working, phone wont turn on, might i go on to point out the issues???? actually verizon love seeing me and my mother (mom account holder) because we both have a good history with verizon and i have insurance on all the blackberry's i had. once my 10th blackberry broke they bumped up my upgrade and i got the DX and no problems so far
    defects aren't covered by insurance. just loss or damage. you call YOUR history with Verizon "good"?? 10 phones in under 12 months? LOL! ok, whatever! I can see why they got you a Droid X upgrade--they figured you'd b i t c h less about another brand of phone--I mean it couldn't get any worse, could it??
    08-17-10 09:43 AM
    Gonna have to strongly side with dave1812. This thread was for people who switched BACK, and it wasn't to be a flame thread for sure.
    10 phones is a lot, no matter which way you slice it.

Also, if your soo happy with the Droid X, why are you trolling a switch back to blackberry thread??

Maybe something to do with "my mom" has the contract...
    08-17-10 09:51 AM
    woah buddy u need to calm down dont get mad at me because i had a bad history with blackberry. when i stated history im not talking about just a 12month period, im talking about before that also. seems like everyone had to b i t c h at least 1 time at verizon about there blackberrys not working. dont you think thats why they was replacing tours for bolds?
    I'm not "mad" or even angry. Just amazed! Can't you see how telling us you had 10 phones might come off as, er, shall we say, "excessive"?? doesn't it strike you as odd that you'd have 9 problem phones?
    08-17-10 09:58 AM
    Gonna have to strongly side with dave1812. This thread was for people who switched BACK, and it wasn't to be a flame thread for sure.
    10 phones is a lot, no matter which way you slice it.

Also, if your soo happy with the Droid X, why are you trolling a switch back to blackberry thread??

Maybe something to do with "my mom" has the contract...
    im not trying to start a flame i just stated my problem and why i switched, i do see this is the discussion forums so i stated that i switched back and fourth in a different thread. what i dont understand is every time i post in the blackberry threads someone always has to call me a troll because i have android? there is no rule stating i cant post in a certain thread because i have a different phone my mom has the contract because it doesn't make sense having 2 $100 phone bills popping up at the house. so we decided to make a family plan and have it in her name because she saves 20% off her bill a month smart isn't it
    Last edited by Retrokid223; 08-17-10 at 10:04 AM.
    08-17-10 10:02 AM
    YAWN!

Back on track please?
    08-17-10 10:27 AM
    If you love your droid-good. Then go to another droid site and bash blackberrys. I've been on the droid side and blackberry side, both are for different tastes. Just because you love your droid doesn't mean bb suck. I love my mom but my dad doesn't suck.

08-17-10 10:41 AM
    If you love your droid-good. Then go to another droid site and bash blackberrys. I've been on the droid side and blackberry side, both are for different tastes. Just because you love your droid doesn't mean bb suck. I love my mom but my dad doesn't suck.

im done posting after this since you guys just dont get my point of view. like the post above you go back on topic
    08-17-10 11:18 AM
    im done posting after this since you guys just dont get my point of view. like the post above you go back on topic
    oh, I think we get your POV...
    08-17-10 11:21 AM
    Heh...welcome to the world of Storm...unreal how some feel so compelled to bash a phone as if anyone who actually uses it, must be psychologically impaired.

Personally, I like the X, though I have to admit, I have not had hours to mess with it, so my opinion might change if I had the chance. Still, I do not feel compelled to switch (I'm guessing it's more about the large, clear display and fast browser that attracts me more than anything else).

To me, the bottom line with the "bashers" is more about "if you don't have the very fastest, then you suck." :: shrugs shoulders :: That mentality belongs to children. Lots of good phones out there, some people just prefer one over the other.

Well it was good to get out of the Torch forum and see this. So much Torch bashing from Android and iphone users in there it's getting ridiculous. Apparently they are green with envy and feel the need to compensate.
    08-17-10 11:26 AM
    Heh...welcome to the world of Storm...unreal how some feel so compelled to bash a phone as if anyone who actually uses it, must be psychologically impaired.

Personally, I like the X, though I have to admit, I have not had hours to mess with it, so my opinion might change if I had the chance. Still, I do not feel compelled to switch (I'm guessing it's more about the large, clear display and fast browser that attracts me more than anything else).

To me, the bottom line with the "bashers" is more about "if you don't have the very fastest, then you suck." :: shrugs shoulders :: That mentality belongs to children. Lots of good phones out there, some people just prefer one over the other.
    Mick Jagger famously sang about "he can't be a man because he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me". How true for some, eh?
    08-17-10 11:29 AM
    Back on Track--- Since I created the thread, I will comment further. This morning I was looking at my Droid 2 sitting in my desk drawer (Our company has not decided if they will "eat" them as tests or send them back) and thought of the good with the phone; and even debating on switching back for another week to really give it another go (the company CEO looks to me for selection of smart phones), the part I can't get past is this:

If I get an email on my Blackberry and Droid at the same time, on the Blackberry the light blinks, it beeps (depending on settings of course), I pick it up, hit menu select my email and I am off reading.

On my droid..it beeps, blinks, I pick it up, hit the top button, then swipe it, then swipe to that email widget, then open the mail program (in this case Touchdown) and go from there.

I get between 50-100 texts/emails a day and I got tired of doing that with the droid every time.

So that was in the top 3 of why I switched back
    08-17-10 12:28 PM
    Back on Track--- Since I created the thread, I will comment further. This morning I was looking at my Droid 2 sitting in my desk drawer (Our company has not decided if they will "eat" them as tests or send them back) and thought of the good with the phone; and even debating on switching back for another week to really give it another go (the company CEO looks to me for selection of smart phones), the part I can't get past is this:

If I get an email on my Blackberry and Droid at the same time, on the Blackberry the light blinks, it beeps (depending on settings of course), I pick it up, hit menu select my email and I am off reading.

On my droid..it beeps, blinks, I pick it up, hit the top button, then swipe it, then swipe to that email widget, then open the mail program (in this case Touchdown) and go from there.

I get between 50-100 texts/emails a day and I got tired of doing that with the droid every time.

You stated a very GOOD reason why you switched back. Messaging ease is top priority for me and is why I've got a BB. when my light blinks, I touch the screen to turn on the backlight, click on "messages", click on the item. pretty darn quick and easy.
    08-17-10 12:33 PM

That is very true. I already posted the reasons I went back to my BB, but I forgot to list this as one of the most annoying things about the droid. On my old droid I had to go through way to many steps to get a task done, and when I was done with my task then I had to launch a task manager to make sure that the app is closed.

The BB is truly the best at getting things done. The Droid is good at surfing the web.

08-17-10 05:01 PM
    <blink> Mick Jagger was a "man" ? LOL.... but yeah, how true it is!

Mick Jagger famously sang about "he can't be a man because he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me". How true for some, eh?
    08-17-10 08:24 PM
    Customization is the reason why I went back. You can set tones for everything! iphone=Dropped calls!
    08-17-10 10:15 PM
    My 9700 battery life kicks everybody's ***.

08-17-10 10:40 PM
    This may be kind of long winded, but I didn't want to start a new thread with basically the same topic.

I recently switched back to BB (first back to my 9700 and then to the Torch) from a Nexus One, running Froyo.

I may be slightly biased, I've been a BB user since 2004 or 2005 and have had seven or eight different models...

I gave Android a try based on all the tech blog "experts" (extreme sarcasm) that told me how wonderful it is. What people don't think about sometimes is that the tech bloggers live and breathe by the latest and greatest tech, if it's not cutting edge, then in their mind it's crap.

The Nexus One was a great device, and Android was wonderful. Solid hardware and great features. Though it did have problems.

-It couldn't sync tasks and memos with my exchange account.

-Stability issues with Froyo. Specifically the /init process would use ALL available cpu power and the only way to stop it was a battery pull about five times a day. Could correct it by going back to 2.1, but I'd have to give up calendar sync.

-ActiveSync push is not always timely. And sometimes I'd have to remove my Exchange account from the phone and add it again to get email delivery working correctly. I run my own Exchange 2010 server and know that it wasn't a server issue.

-Battery life was just not enough.

But if my main use of my phone was browsing the web, twitter, you tube videos, and gmail; Android would have been perfectly fine. However, my main use is text messaging, email (exchange and gmail), BBM, Calendar/Tasks, and occasionally twitter. The BB just allows you to get those things done more efficiently.

So, after two months, I went back to my 9700. And on the 12th I got my Torch. As far as the OS 6, it has taken some getting used to, but works very well.

As an aside, here are my opinions on the Torch.

-The low-res screen? I haven't had an "OMG MY EYES ARE BLEEDING BECAUSE THE SCREEN IS SO LOW RES!" moment. It looks good indoors and out, I don't see what the big deal with the resolution in.

-The less than 1ghz processor? According to the tech blogs "All flagship devices should have at least a 1ghz processor." Why? No major slowdowns on the Torch yet, a little lag if I really try and bog it down, but I'd give up a little horse power for a few more hours of battery life. Making spec comparisons between different processor architectures and OS's is like comparing apples to bowling balls; they're both round.

-Build quality? Mine has been great. Sure there may be 1/32nd to 1/16th inch wiggle side to side when the screen is extended. But I don't expect that not to be there in a slider. It's one of the trade offs of the form factor. Keyboard is great as usual. Also, I'll note that I've never run out of space on any BB I've owned.

-Memory? More than adequate. I've never filled any BB I've owned.

Thanks for listening, I'm tired of just hearing about all those that switch from BB to Android/iPhone. And I'm tired of people who use their phone for mostly fun and not for actually getting work done via messaging, etc. dragging BBs name through the mud and saying its the end of the line for them.

For some people the iPhone or Android is a better option for their uses. But for many, many people BB is the best option by a big margin.
    I agree!
    By the way, I enjoyed reading your breakdown and description of features.

08-18-10 02:19 AM
    Well I got a really good deal on an Eris yesturday I couldn't pass it up. My wife has my 8530. I'm really digging the Eris over the MOTO Droid so far.
    08-18-10 10:08 AM
    This isn't a flame post so don't take it as such...

Everyone who says how awesome Android is, well your right the phones are rockin... BUT, I message more than I play games, apps or browse the net on my phone (I have my laptop for that)...
    Understood...but you also have a laptop to check email. I understand what you want to use your phone for which is perfectly ok, but the "I have my laptop for that..." was always a minor pet peeve of mine.

So I am curious on those people out there (and I know there is more than me) who switched back to 'berry's...
    I did because in a click or two I can be reading my mail, texts etc. On my Droid 2, I had to hit the button at the top, swipe it, click on the email then goto the inbox and open it...
    Really? That's weird. I haven't used a Droid2 or anything. I just swipe down and read what I want whenever I get a new message or just open up the Gmail app or Yahoo app (depending on where the email was from), both are on the homescreen.

Either way, the Bold has always been a nice phone regardless.
    08-18-10 10:49 AM
    Thank you storm6610 for starting this thread; this is a spark of common sense in a sea of narrow mindedness that's is the tech-blog universe of today. I can't see how one can be addressed as an "expert" if one cannot see a market that is not them.
    I mean , I love Benzes, I love all of em from any vintage, I grew up in a family that loves them too. I love them because I enjoy wafting thru the traffic effortlessly, and feel good when everything around me says that I shouldn't. But, that doesn't mean that I think people who buy the Prius are complete morons. I can see why those people have bought the car of their choice, because it suits their needs and what they want in a car (this , of course, exempts Lexus owners, LOL).

I stick with my bb coz it allows me to do what I need to do in my day to day life (both professional and personal), eficiently.

08-18-10 02:43 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD