Lucky for us (sarcasm) People like John bigss over at techcrunch ( and many other Apple shill blogs/fanboi's) are **** bent on spewing "RIM IS DEAD" from thier electric pupit with OS 6. Because apparently, BlackBerry's can only do email and nothing else..
    08-18-10 03:25 PM
    Again personal preference. I have had just a texting/emailing phone and I have had BB for quite a long time. It allows me to do more even though it costs more to have it. And when my laptop was sent to HP numerous times and I was without it, my BB came to my rescue. I could pay my bills online and not have to worry about anything. I will always use BB it is superior in my opinion.
    08-18-10 03:51 PM
    Footnote---
    So this thread really has grown into something which is great. I so agree with so much that has been said here...and not to um *cough* soil my reputation...

But I sit here at my computer looking at my Droid 2 that just went "buzz" and think hmm...ok ok, before everyone flames me to death...

If you have been following my posts, you learned that my boss uses me as the testing bed in the company to decide technology for the rest of the company administrators.

So I was rocking my Bold and he said, "Hey what happened to the Droid??" I said, "Eh, the blackberry, for me does it quicker and easier." He said, "Hey you didn't give it a fair shot. Please give it more time, and then come tell me what you think."

So as many of you know, when the boss chirps, we listen...So here I am 'rockin my android' if that's what you want to call it in an effort to tell the boss and his peeps in a meeting what we should go with.

Although I am going through Blackberry withdrawal (Trust me it isn't fun, as some of you can attest to)...I will give props to the Droid and say it is a good phone..

I think the most frustrating thing for me ( I was reading the thread does RIM read these posts ) is that we are with Big Red (Verizon) and our Verizon rep told us that there are at least 4-5 more Android based phones due out before the end of the year...

When I asked about Blackberry..she simply said, "Only rumors at this point."

I really wish I could understand RIM's business ideology because if we "choose" BB..I hope I am not the one with pie on my face..

So my "test" period continues...
    Last edited by storm6610; 08-18-10 at 04:57 PM.
    08-18-10 04:55 PM
    Ive been using android now for about 3 weeks. Think Im heading back to BB. Think the honeymoon phase is done. At first I was loving it and blown away by the apps that are available. But Im realizing I dont need or even want those apps. Its cool that theyre there though. Im also realizing I need a real keyboard. Sick of having to correct spelling all the time. Its just a hassle. Im also not the hugest google user out there. So more than likley I'll be back with BB. Though Im still very much thinking about getting a n900 and give maemo a go. But Id have to switch carriers for that one. Though I have a feeling Id want to go back to BB. As Storm6610 said "Eh, the blackberry, for me does it quicker and easier."
    08-18-10 05:14 PM
    I too have really enjoyed this thread so far.

jasonvw, with you 100% on Android. It is a great platform, just not for everybody.

storm6610, I feel where you're coming from with Big Red. They are really pushing Android now (can't blame them from a average consumer POV). Even though there are a lot of reasons to still recommend BB to the higher ups, part of them is also going to want what is perceived as the latest and greatest available to them. I take it you guys don't have a BES/BESX environment set up? That goes a long way in selling the the BlackBerry package to the boss.
    08-18-10 07:27 PM
    Thank you storm6610 for starting this thread. I like that it is running strong. It just goes to show that some of us left BB only to gain a better appreciation for what the BB does. The grass always looks greener on the other side, but now that I have been there I am so much happier with my BB then I ever have been.

P.S. Why the **** are people posting on this thread about how great their droid is. This is not for you. GO AWAY.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 11:34 PM
    I can certainly relate to the 'ole "the boss is watching" routine, I don't miss it being self-employed. So, here's what I'd do.

Run a survey of those in the office that will be using the phones, and ask them to list the top five (or 10, but this would also depend on the number of employees) features that they think their device "must have." Then, compare the results and do a combine/delete of everyone's list. Combine the ones that are similar and give them a singular name with a brief description. Give everyone a copy of the results and then give each of them 9 points that they can assign to whatever of the items, they think is most important. They can assign all the points to one item (i.e., 9 points to "Must make superb, reliable phone calls") or weight a few towards one thing and divvy the rest to other features. Collect the results, tally them up and then see which platform/phones best meet the winning features that will be ranked in terms of priority. No boss in the world can refute the results (or your methodology) and even if it wasn't "his" preferred choice, he/she has simply gotta admire the approach! In the end, emotion may win over logic, but at least that wasn't your fault, lol.

Footnote---
    So this thread really has grown into something which is great. I so agree with so much that has been said here...and not to um *cough* soil my reputation...

But I sit here at my computer looking at my Droid 2 that just went "buzz" and think hmm...ok ok, before everyone flames me to death...

If you have been following my posts, you learned that my boss uses me as the testing bed in the company to decide technology for the rest of the company administrators.

So I was rocking my Bold and he said, "Hey what happened to the Droid??" I said, "Eh, the blackberry, for me does it quicker and easier." He said, "Hey you didn't give it a fair shot. Please give it more time, and then come tell me what you think."

So as many of you know, when the boss chirps, we listen...So here I am 'rockin my android' if that's what you want to call it in an effort to tell the boss and his peeps in a meeting what we should go with.

Although I am going through Blackberry withdrawal (Trust me it isn't fun, as some of you can attest to)...I will give props to the Droid and say it is a good phone..

I think the most frustrating thing for me ( I was reading the thread does RIM read these posts ) is that we are with Big Red (Verizon) and our Verizon rep told us that there are at least 4-5 more Android based phones due out before the end of the year...

When I asked about Blackberry..she simply said, "Only rumors at this point."

I really wish I could understand RIM's business ideology because if we "choose" BB..I hope I am not the one with pie on my face..

So my "test" period continues...
    08-19-10 12:05 AM
    CRBOWERS--we actually do have a BES at work... Even so, he still wants to make sure BB is right for us

a MAJOR +1 for BB...I am not sure people realize this, but maybe some of you do..DROID , does not have a spell checker in the email...Yes I know amazing for a smart phone..again, this isn't a flame thread, phone is still nice..

But that is major in business world...I am astonished it does not, and that will be a deal breaker for us...
    08-19-10 05:54 AM
    I switched back because of reliability. Android is cool... and making great strides... but I missed my BB.
    ditto. I have had my Droid Incredible since the week it came out. It was cool for awhile but I don't feel that I need all that nonsense. I agree with the previous person that referred to it as a toy. I just ordered my Blackberry today actually
    08-19-10 11:15 AM
    And I only waited so long because this is the soonest I had an upgrade available
    08-19-10 11:16 AM
    thinking about switching from my droid incredible to the bb bold. kinda the same reason as you. all my android friends tell me not to do it because bb cant do ____ and ____. but all i need it is for the messaging- emails and such. if i need to browse the web for stuff, itll be for a quick google search anyways... and bb can do that for sure.
    im just lookin for a cheap 9650 to buy and i can switch right away lol
    08-22-10 04:06 PM
    I started my smartphone experience with Ericsson r380. Over the years I went through P800, P900, Nokia Communicator, original iPhone, 3G, 3GS, G1 and Desire and never really complained. This summer I got contracted in other country for few months and since my current phone was locked I decided to see what can I buy to try something new. Price factor made me choose the 8520... Entry lvl BB that killed them all haha. Seriously I just love it. I do not remember which of my previous phones had a screen so good. I go out in full sun and I can read and type even wearing my sunglasses. Emails, txt (I don't use the BBM cause none of my friends uses one ) are just a breeze with this little thing. I always have a laptop with wireless network on me so BB gives me exactly all I need and does it great. No extra candy just pure efficiency. Battery simply rocks. I talk and talk and text and talk and email and email and talk and talk and I get home with batt at least half full. That is something really new to me lol
    So a bit over 2 months into the BB and my 3GS and Desire went for sale. My next phone? The 9780 and I know this for a fact

And considering this is my first post over here - hi all
    08-22-10 06:41 PM
    Understood...but you also have a laptop to check email. I understand what you want to use your phone for which is perfectly ok, but the "I have my laptop for that..." was always a minor pet peeve of mine.
    I agree I hate when people say I don't need a good browser I have a laptop for that. Might as well say I don't need a cell phone I have a landline for that.
    08-23-10 06:38 AM
    I agree I hate when people say I don't need a good browser I have a laptop for that. Might as well say I don't need a cell phone I have a landline for that.
    I think what they really mean is that their handheld device is not meant to replace their laptop, that would be the case with me also. In my view a blackberry is meant to keep you connected while you're away from the office/laptop. A large screen tries to be too much of a compromise and ends up being too big for a phone and too small for a computer. Jack of all trades, master of none.

08-23-10 10:05 AM
    To both you and ferc, I say "ok, I agree, but there's nothing wrong with either argument." Both sides make sense. I am guilty of saying "I have a computer for that" and I say it often (see my sig. below). What's wrong with that?

I'm not look for a phone to REPLACE my computer...it simply augments it. It provides a convenience (not talking about the phone here, just the rest of it, though I love jmb's analogy, lol) for me that is not otherwise available while away from my office. I use the web services on my Storm 2 every single morning, reading news and financial sites over coffee. It works. It's fine. It does the job with reasonably minimal pain. Could it be faster? Sure, I would love that, but I don't feel like smashing my phone against the wall with the way it currently works. I can also easily access sites extemporaneously when I need to look something up. Google Mobile works great and reasonably fast for doing voice searches.

But in the end, we're talking small screens here. I would much rather be using my 32", calibrated monitor if given the choice!

08-23-10 06:03 PM
    To both you and ferc, I say "ok, I agree, but there's nothing wrong with either argument." Both sides make sense. I am guilty of saying "I have a computer for that" and I say it often (see my sig. below). What's wrong with that?

I'm not look for a phone to REPLACE my computer...it simply augments it. It provides a convenience (not talking about the phone here, just the rest of it, though I love jmb's analogy, lol) for me that is not otherwise available while away from my office. I use the web services on my Storm 2 every single morning, reading news and financial sites over coffee. It works. It's fine. It does the job with reasonably minimal pain. Could it be faster? Sure, I would love that, but I don't feel like smashing my phone against the wall with the way it currently works. I can also easily access sites extemporaneously when I need to look something up. Google Mobile works great and reasonably fast for doing voice searches.

But in the end, we're talking small screens here. I would much rather be using my 32", calibrated monitor if given the choice!
    Small Screen this bad boy is 4"! lol, good post energy it's the truth. I just like hoping on the web when I'm out and about to keep up with news, message boards and to view some full sites. I was happy with the BB the same way you are, did what I needed... then my buddy comes over with his android and everytime I used my BB after than would get frustrated.
    08-23-10 07:16 PM
    I think what they really mean is that their handheld device is not meant to replace their laptop, that would be the case with me also. In my view a blackberry is meant to keep you connected while you're away from the office/laptop. A large screen tries to be too much of a compromise and ends up being too big for a phone and too small for a computer. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Totally agree with your post, nothing will replace a pc but don't you want the next best thing to carry you over when out of the office or away from home?
    08-23-10 07:19 PM
    I had 3 android phones before buying a blackberry, and I honestly don't miss them. They were fun for a few weeks to play with, but they were always having problems. I was in verizon every other week because either an app I downloaded froze the phone or an email got stuck. It was always one thing or the other, the battery life was very short, and the phone was totally unreliable. I enjoyed the fun aspect, but it wore off quickly when it just couldn't preform. I expect I'll keep with blackberry for an extremely long time.
    08-23-10 07:46 PM
    I had 3 android phones before buying a blackberry, and I honestly don't miss them. They were fun for a few weeks to play with, but they were always having problems. I was in verizon every other week because either an app I downloaded froze the phone or an email got stuck. It was always one thing or the other, the battery life was very short, and the phone was totally unreliable. I enjoyed the fun aspect, but it wore off quickly when it just couldn't preform. I expect I'll keep with blackberry for an extremely long time.

I don't want to get into this, still on my first droid and so is my wife. Over the past few years I have gone through a TON of blackberry's. 2 curve 8330's, 4 storms, 5 tours and 1 bold. None of these were due to problems caused by us.
    08-24-10 11:00 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD