Hey guys!

I was doing a quick search in the forums for a topic similar to this, but nothing really seemed to be geared towards this topic. Also, I thought, to get a broader range of opinions, I'd post it here in the General Discussion and not in the Q10 thread; but if it's in the wrong forum section, I apologize!

I've seen and heard from a lot of cell phone users that physical keyboards are a thing of the past; that they are almost an ancient concept and are not needed when it comes to phones in general. I admit, I get attracted to a phone with absolutely NO physical buttons (i.e. the Nokia Lumia 900/20)...

But, I still love my keyboard phone. I just love knowing that I am hitting the right keys - the sounds tell me so, the feel of the keyboard, etc. It's interesting, because lots of us have tablets that are touchscreen; but we all have laptops or computers with physical keyboards, so they are obviously still beneficial in that respect. BlackBerry used to be all about physical keyboards; so usually, BB users would generally be alright with them I'm assuming (since they had purchased the phone in the first place)... But still, perhaps they were getting tired of the keyboard. I don't know, I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who still loves having a physical keyboard! I'm sure that's NOT the case, but I so often see others not too enthused about them (which is totally okay).

It's great that BlackBerry has given us the option of full-touch versus touch-and-keyboard. Personally, I think the Q10 is the best of both worlds, since it combines a touchscreen (which I've wanted to experience) and a physical keyboard that knows how I type.

How about everyone else? Do you think keyboards are a thing of the past? Do you still like using a physical keyboard? Or do you like virtual and physical equally?

(Just to add, I'm getting better at using virtual keyboards; and this is not in any way a bash against virtual keyboards. The Z10, Z30, and Lumia series are super hot! )
    01-05-14 04:56 PM
    I don't think they're a thing of the past but I do believe that for some folks, on-screen keyboards have gotten so good that it's less of an issue for them than what it once was should they move away from a full QWERTY keyboard.
    01-05-14 04:59 PM
    i love using a physical keyboard! i like to hear the sound of typing on it. like you said, i like knowing I'm hitting the right buttons. i do admire the z10 keyboard, as its the closest thing I've seen to a physical keyboard. most touch screen keyboards hurt my thumbs. even when i had a HTC OneX, not having the keyboard made me use the device less.
    01-05-14 05:07 PM
    I turn the sound off on my keyboard but I will NEVER willingly buy a phone without a physical keyboard. I have tried ALL the touch keyboards and despise them. It never types what I tell it. NEVER
    Pilot Prop likes this.
    01-05-14 05:09 PM
    I have used a lot of phones, and when it comes down to it there Is something magical about using a keyboard a q10 or 9900 even the 9000. Its a spectacular typing experience and I'm glad I have had the opportunity to have used it (who knows what the future will hold).

Great post!

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 05:13 PM
    I have 2 and probably more reasons for preferring a physical keyboard (and a track pad by the way)
    Much of the time I prefer to hold and use my phone with just one hand.
    I can feel my way around a physical keyboard so I don't look at my fingers so much when using physical.
    Phone manufacturers have two big reason to promote full touch screen.
    No moving parts = less to go wrong, less warantee claims.
    On screen keyboard means no need for different models for different countries.
    01-05-14 05:20 PM
    I'm all for the physical board. I have a Z10 but I got myself a Q5 at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 05:27 PM
    I don't mind virtual keyboard, but I much prefer using a physical keyboard, easier to fully respond to email and any messages overall.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 06:12 PM
    I'm a diehard keyboard fan, myself. I simply cannot type as quickly on touchscreens (such as my PlayBook, or my son's Kindle or Nokia phone). I like the fact that I have no need to look at my physical keyboard. Now that sliders are becoming a little harder to find, I have friends that primarily text eyeballing my keyboard. Wish BlackBerry could afford a low cost entry level model.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 06:21 PM
    This was a big issue for me coming from the old torch. I'm happy with the Z10, the keyboard is in a class by itself. Android and Apple are simply not competitive. But, I must admit there are days, I miss the physical keyboard. There is something nice about it and I'm sure I would be happy if I had a Q10.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 06:22 PM
    I loved the physical keyboard on my old 9900. I have the Z10 and bought a Q10 caused I missed the feel of the 9900. I sold the Q10 cause I realized it did not feel the same as my 9900. So, maybe my preference is for the 9900 and not a physical keyboard as such? I do love the keyboard on the Z10 but have to have the keyboard sound on to type, lol. I agree that it is nice to have choices. I would love to see a slider

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-05-14 06:23 PM
    Though I have moved on to virtual keyboards myself (with the Z10), I think there's room for both. But I also think that the trend is towards virtual keyboard more and more (even here as evidenced by the top two phones of 2013 on cb being touch screens).

Physical keyboard phones are already a niche but I think they may one day even be a niche within the BlackBerry community.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 06:25 PM
    The only reason I have a z10 and not a q10 is the screen size.
    I love the physical keyboard, but I love the bigger screen better.

Z10 on Telus
    01-05-14 06:33 PM
    Although I am just as fast and efficient with touchscreen devices (granted, I have a three day learning curve or so on keyboards that I'm unfamiliar) as I am on physical keyboards, I have a strong preference for physical keyboards. And like the OP, I'm okay with that
    01-05-14 06:53 PM
    There's no reason not to be OK with it. Physical keys is still my preference as well. Use the best tool available for your needs and nevermind what anyone else says. What's right for them and what's right for you don't have to be the same.
    01-05-14 07:30 PM
    I went from a 9000 to a Q10. I have trouble with virtual keyboards because of club thumbs. I could probably do one finger typing like I do on my iPad, but I love typing on the real keyboard of my Q10. Combined with the predictive text, I tend to go on and on :-). If the day comes that there are no more keyboard phones, I'm sure I will adapt. But for now, I'm set!!!

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    01-05-14 07:41 PM
    I used phones with physical keyboards for six years (not BlackBerry devices) and happily switched to the Swype keyboard on Android phones a little over three years ago. I was never in love with physical keyboards on phones. I just preferred the full QWERTY keyboard to the T-9 keyboards that were popular at the time. I definitely prefer virtual keyboards on phones as I'm slow and very inaccurate on physical keyboards on phones.

I don't think that physical keyboards on desktops and laptops are good comparisons to physical keyboards on phones. Desktop computer keyboards give every finger on your two hands a function; phone keyboards don't have that much room and you are reduced to using one or two fingers or thumbs. That just isn't natural to me.
    01-05-14 07:59 PM
    Physical keyboard for me! I can only do 1 index finger typing with my iPhone. Even then, I have to do a lot of correction. With my Q with predictions, I can fly without much screw ups.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 11:58 AM
    I used phones with physical keyboards for six years (not BlackBerry devices) and happily switched to the Swype keyboard on Android phones a little over three years ago. I was never in love with physical keyboards on phones. I just preferred the full QWERTY keyboard to the T-9 keyboards that were popular at the time. I definitely prefer virtual keyboards on phones as I'm slow and very inaccurate on physical keyboards on phones.

I don't think that physical keyboards on desktops and laptops are good comparisons to physical keyboards on phones. Desktop computer keyboards give every finger on your two hands a function; phone keyboards don't have that much room and you are reduced to using one or two fingers or thumbs. That just isn't natural to me.
    Thank you for your response!

Hmm. I get what you said about the computer keyboards being an odd comparison. But I type weird on a laptop (2-3 fingers), so I guess I'm an oddball with this comparison. But what I meant by using this comparison is not necessarily the amount of fingers you use on each device while typing; but moreso that keyboards are still playing some type of importance in most of our lives, since we still use them with computers, etc.

Posted via CB10
    21stNow likes this.
    01-06-14 12:02 PM
    I had wanted to wait for the q10 but couldn't wait so I got the z10. The first two weeks were awkward but I slowly got faster. After three months or less I knew I would never go back to the qwerty. The flick function with the get to know you software makes it very slick. The defender otter box allows me to keep it on my desk beside my computer and type on it with one hand because it doesn't slide. I'm almost 50 so anyone can adapt to the virtual. Best of all, I get the bigger screen so it is much easier to read documents and articles. So many apps and functions are enhanced with the bigger screen I really think the physical keyboard is soon to be a thing of the past. That is just my opinion but if I had of been asked a year ago my thoughts would of read much like most of the ones above...give me the qwerty. I'm worried that JC is focusing in the wrong direction when it comes to keyboards. Are the positive qwerty comments above just from those who have yet to make the transition? Could they make a qwerty typo that would attach to the z30 and flip into a fold position when in the purse or pocket ?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 09:14 PM
    I'm perfectly fine with a touch screen keyboard these days. I was a die hard hardware keyboard user a couple years ago, but after spending the last year with both the BB10 keyboard and SwiftKey for Android, I'm sold on the utility of having a larger touch screen.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate a physical keyboard though. I still use a 9900 for work and find it an absolute joy to type on with the tactile feedback and precision it offers. It's great for typing longer emails, or for entering my job notes into Evernote where I use a lot of abbreviations that would otherwise drive the auto correct systems on virtual keyboards crazy.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    xBURK likes this.
    01-16-14 12:07 AM
    I got used to the Z10 keyboard really quickly, but when the Q10 came out, I got one and still prefer this keyboard to anything else out there.

It's funny to see so many older people with iPhones at Starbucks or somewhere, and I'm like half their age and pull out my Q10, with the "archaic" keyboard.

I'm not changing for anyone, they can have all the fun they want typing on glass.

Posted via CB10
    xBURK and barbarianthemadserb like this.
    01-16-14 03:19 AM
    I purchased the the Z10 on release day here in Canada and the transition to the virtual keyboard was smooth and almost effortless. However periodically I kept longing for the feel of a keyboard. I missed it and I type all day long everyday. I played with the idea of purchasing a Q10 for month and just lastnight I took the plunge. I'll tell ya that my first few BBM's were horrid however I quickly got back into the swing of things and wow, i've been in heaven ever since.
    I'll miss the screen but to have as my daily driver during the week I can't go wrong. I'm so happy that I made the switch.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 06:39 AM
    I prefer the physical keyboards as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 06:44 AM
    Physical over virtual 7 days and week twice on Sundays hands down.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 08:09 PM
35 12