I see a lot of people crave for specs but never mention one of the most important spec of all......

I notice a lot of people are demanding quad core this....or battery that....or 1080p or 2k resolution or 20mp camera......

However why is it no one ever mentions storage at all.......

I have a Z30 and the best BB10 device I think personally and gaming on it is amazing especially for its stereo speakers and super amoled but one of my biggest issues is storage. I have tons of games that require a lot of spare like N.O.V.A 3.....Dead Space...Modern Combat 4....Asphalt 8....if you install these 4 games alone you will be at 70 percent capacity at all and because of that if I want new games or apps sometimes I have to delete the previous apps or games and sometimes I haven't finished the game little frustrating sometimes. It just puzzles me no one ever mentions storage at all. It doesn't matter what kind of specs you have and power if you don't have the space to put your stuff in its pretty useless. Yes I know we have expandable memory but you cannot store apps and games on it.

I personally believe for all high end and some mid range devices they need to have different variants in terms of storage like the apple model

16GB
    32GB
    64GB
    128GB

What do you guys think???
    12-29-14 12:38 PM
    Honestly I'm beginning to consider getting a cheap tablet for gaming while I wait for a high end, high specs BB10 device.

STL100-2 - OS 10.3.0.1418
    12-29-14 12:46 PM
    Honestly I'm beginning to consider getting a cheap tablet for gaming while I wait for a high end, high specs BB10 device.

STL100-2 - OS 10.3.0.1418
    To be honest I had that same mentality but some games don't play well on a tablet the screen is a bit too big for some buttons to reach....that is just my opinion....I have some games on my BB10 device and Android tablet and sometimes the same game I play much better using my phone since its like holding a controller....

Of course game like candy crush....minion rush....and so on yah but I don't know I think a phone between 5 and 6 inches is a perfect gaming device
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    12-29-14 12:49 PM
    Can't you save your games to an SD card? I've never tried as I'm not much of a gamer and my apps tend to be much smaller but isn't there a way of doing this?
    12-29-14 12:52 PM
    thats actually why i liked the passport so much it had a base of 32gb and the fact i had another 32gb card for music pics and etc means i got enough space to store games, apps, etc etc with it all.
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    12-29-14 12:53 PM
    Can't you save your games to an SD card? I've never tried as I'm not much of a gamer and my apps tend to be much smaller but isn't there a way of doing this?
    its a security feature BB has disabled from being able to do so, android however can be hacked to make it work.
    12-29-14 12:54 PM
    I notice I personally believe for all high end and some mid range devices they need to have different variants in terms of storage like the apple model

16GB
    32GB
    64GB
    128GB

What do you guys think???
    I think Apple should do this but Blackberry should not. It requires a lot of scale and throughput to stock all of those variations efficiently. Blackberry doesn't sell enough smartphones to justify the different SKU's That would just cause more unsold inventory.
    12-29-14 12:54 PM
    I think Apple should do this but Blackberry should not. It requires a lot of scale and throughput to stock all of those variations efficiently. Blackberry doesn't sell enough smartphones to justify the different SKU's That would just cause more unsold inventory.
    Yah but they dont need to worry about that......Foxconn would make those devices hopefully I know low end and mid range but if they carried that with the business model like apple and have Foxconn manage the high end device it wouldn't be a problem. Don't forget foxconn makes the iPhone so unsold inventory would not be a problem at all.
    12-29-14 12:57 PM
    I agree that 16GB shouldn't even be a consideration anymore.... (yet BlackBerry and Apple still push out devices).

Of course most users aren't going to installed that many highend games... if they do, they are usually smart enough to know to get a device with the amount of storage they need. And they aren't even considering BlackBerry due to the lack of general specifications that make the gaming experience better. You may love your Z30... but try those games on a device with a modern GPU or almost twice the PPI.

Which is why BlackBerry doesn't feel the need to offer different variants of storage... the average enterprise users is going to be just fine with 16 GB.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    12-29-14 12:59 PM
    Better to request the ability to save programs to the SD Card than request different SKUs for each different hardware variation per model. BBRY is already having a hard time managing inventory. Each model already has several SKUs based on the radio bands supported. Now multiply that by however many memory sizes you want them to offer. They aren't big enough to do that.

Changing the OS to allow where to save programs...that can be done. Although, encouraging the developers to change where they save their game progress...that's even better. Like you, I have several games that I'd love to delete and reinstall later, but don't because I want to keep the game progress.
    Internal storage is an industry-wide issue that has made very little progress - a few phones, like the Passport and the Note 4, now come with 32GB standard, but storage is so cheap these days that they could do a whole lot better. There's just very little incentive to do so, since no one else is doing it and smaller storage capacities encourage the use of cloud services where there's additional money to be made.

As for the matter of choice, it's unlikely that BlackBerry can afford to keep that many SKUs around, but stranger things have happened.
    Yah but they dont need to worry about that......Foxconn would make those devices hopefully I know low end and mid range but if they carried that with the business model like apple and have Foxconn manage the high end device it wouldn't be a problem. Don't forget foxconn makes the iPhone so unsold inventory would not be a problem at all.
    So you think Foxconn wants to be stuck with all the excess inventory any more than Blackberry? Retailers will still have to stock more SKUs which means a lot more unsold inventory.
    12-29-14 01:02 PM
    I agree that 16GB shouldn't even be a consideration anymore.... (yet BlackBerry and Apple still push out devices).

Of course most users aren't going to installed that many highend games... if they do, they are usually smart enough to know to get a device with the amount of storage they need. And they aren't even considering BlackBerry due to the lack of general specifications that make the gaming experience better. You may love your Z30... but try those games on a device with a modern GPU or almost twice the PPI.

Which is why BlackBerry doesn't feel the need to offer different variants of storage... the average enterprise users is going to be just fine with 16 GB.
    Modern GPU and PPI has no concern to me played some of the same games on a Nexus 6 and Note 4 and I see no dramatic difference to be like OMG I have to get this phone because of it. The stereo speakers got me sold on the gaming experience. Also I despise when people associate the blackberry as only the enterprise user...BB should slowly stop this nonsense that BB is only a business device. The enterprise user is also a consumer and gamer as well. BB10 Devices are more than capable of gaming just as well as any other android or iPhone device out there. When blackberry releases their new phones next year especially with the 16:9 ratio and they are highly powered they need to bring the fun side as well as the business side with their marketing campaign going into next year. We want people to know that BB is more than just business.......it can be fun too.....

All work and no play makes jack a dull boy...

Have it like John Smith is hard at work doing all his productivity and taking care of email and messaging in a flash...but when he is on the plane or bus or subway he is playing candy crush....or watching netflix....or playing spiderman unlimited as well. We need to combine these two lives into one commercial to show case both sides of BB10.
    12-29-14 01:09 PM
    Not into gaming on mobile devices, but I agree. 32gb would be a good idea since I test a lot of apps that show up on all three app stores.
    12-29-14 01:12 PM
    That is why when they makes these variants and announce them set up a pre order system a month or so before the launch date so that you have any idea of which one will be more popular than the other in advance and communicate that with the retailers all in all they need different variants of the devices even if its 32gb and a 64gb 2 variants for each high end that would be fine.
    12-29-14 01:12 PM
    That is why when they makes these variants and announce them set up a pre order system a month or so before the launch date so that you have any idea of which one will be more popular than the other in advance and communicate that with the retailers all in all they need different variants of the devices even if its 32gb and a 64gb 2 variants for each high end that would be fine.
    no need for 64 gb when you have a sd slot. But minimum on board storage should be 32 gb
    12-29-14 01:15 PM
    ... and communicate that with the retailers all in all they need different variants of the devices even if its 32gb and a 64gb 2 variants for each high end that would be fine.
    "Say, you know that new smartphone we make that you don't really want to carry that much? We have two different versions, now."
    King Dack likes this.
    12-29-14 01:17 PM
    I agree that 16GB is a complete joke these days. 16GB is with nothing on it, and with the OS its more like 12GB which fills up pretty quickly and leaves very little room for any type of internal storage.
    12-29-14 01:18 PM
    no need for 64 gb when you have a sd slot. But minimum on board storage should be 32 gb
    If you had read my post I said that apps and games cannot be stored on a SD card slot that is what I am getting at....some of these game are like 1GB to 3GB big....especially since GPU and CPU are becoming way more powerful people will start to game way more often and games are getting bigger and bigger in size with graphics getting better and apps are becoming bigger as well.....
    12-29-14 01:18 PM
    I agree that 16GB is a complete joke these days. 16GB is with nothing on it, and with the OS its more like 12GB which fills up pretty quickly and leaves very little room for any type of internal storage.
    Exactly apps might not seem like a lot but when you start installing app after app trust me that space gets filled up very very quickly....
    12-29-14 01:21 PM
    Better to request the ability to save programs to the SD Card than request different SKUs for each different hardware variation per model. BBRY is already having a hard time managing inventory. Each model already has several SKUs based on the radio bands supported. Now multiply that by however many memory sizes you want them to offer. They aren't big enough to do that.

Changing the OS to allow where to save programs...that can be done. Although, encouraging the developers to change where they save their game progress...that's even better. Like you, I have several games that I'd love to delete and reinstall later, but don't because I want to keep the game progress.
    For security reasons they will never do that to be honest.
    12-29-14 01:25 PM
    If you had read my post I said that apps and games cannot be stored on a SD card slot that is what I am getting at....some of these game are like 1GB to 3GB big....especially since GPU and CPU are becoming way more powerful people will start to game way more often and games are getting bigger and bigger in size with graphics getting better and apps are becoming bigger as well.....
    hey, if windows phone can have their apps to sd card so BB can do the same...it doesn't matter BB is for work not play
    12-29-14 01:28 PM
    "Say, you know that new smartphone we make that you don't really want to carry that much? We have two different versions, now."
    Take the Z10 for example: there were 3 (correct?) different models with different radios, and then 2 color choices (white and black). Having only two storage size options (instead of one) would mean 12 SKUs instead of 6. And that's just for a single phone model.

The reason Apple is the only one with many storage options is because they have no provision for external storage AND because they have huge volume with a very small number of models, so they can afford multiple SKUs per model and still produce a half-million or more per SKU. How many white 64GB Passports do you think BB would be able to sell (at $100 more than the current model)? Not enough to justify the production costs alone, much less the inventory and distribution costs.
    12-29-14 01:30 PM
    hey, if windows phone can have their apps to sd card so BB can do the same...it doesn't matter BB is for work not play
    First of all until BB actually does it then its irrelevant at this time since that is not the point of the post I made. People need to stop this nonsense BB is for work only message..... This is 2014 every BB phone should portray that BB is for work first but can used for games as well and fun.....we need to stop this message that its for work only when BB is the same one who got amazon appstore deal for consumer apps and games and BB world has Games as well.....
    12-29-14 01:32 PM
    I agree, it's a bad idea. I think they should however, make 32GB the base model. Apple too should scrap 16GB models.
    12-29-14 01:34 PM
62 123