Morning all,

I'm hanging out here again after using a HTC Desire for the last six months. I love the look of the new Torch, and still use a Blackberry Bold 9700 for work (email only). I'm thinking of getting a Torch to use as my new personal phone.

Anyway, getting back to the subject of this thread, "I really wanted a Blackberry again until..." - until I tried installing the most basic of apps (London Tube status app) which needed a reboot. The initial install did not need a reboot, but the upgrade did. The reboot took the best part of three minutes.

It seems pretty random, too. What is it that prompts the user to have to reboot, and is it necessary? I had forgotten about that really backwards requirement to reboot the device after installing an app. It really does seem a luxury to download from the Android Market and begin using an app immediately.

I don't think I could get used to this again. Is there a way around it or does everyone just put up with it?

Cheers for any thoughts
    10-19-10 05:27 AM
    Frankly, the reboot doesn't bother me. Almost any software I install on my laptop requires a reboot, so to me it's a natural thing. I've not used an Android device so I've no frame of reference, but I seem to remember that the iPhone I had did not require a reboot. To me, it wasn't enough to keep the device.
    Sounds like you're happier with how Android handles. You have a choice - accept the reboot or go back to Android. What suits you best?
    Best to you!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 05:46 AM
    Its ashame what Rim is doing I don't know why anyone would want a bb after using a Android device.I was hoping the 9670 was going to be released on Verizon but again Rim is releasing carrier specific! I would love to come back to bb but my Fascinate is a awesome device and blows away any bb on the market.
    10-19-10 05:53 AM
    Perhapps I can shed some light on WHY some apps require a reboot and other don't.

A brand new program, is likely to not need a reboot. This is because there is nothing that needs unloaded from memory. Unloading from memory and loading a new version on the fly can create holes where malware, viruses, etc, can get in. It's very common in desktop computer OS's, and although nearly unheard of, can affect mobile OS's also.
    So, in a nutshell, the reboot is how the BBOS removes the old from memory, before loading up the new file. It's a small price to pay if you need a super secure mobile device.
    But at the end of the day, only you can really decide which phone is right for you.

[Myself PERSONALLY, will be going back to BB at the end of the month, after 3 weeks with an Android phone. I was not impressed with how it handled e-mail notifications, and that most of the 3rd party apps whose functionality I require, have ADS stuck in them. No thanks.]
    10-19-10 06:26 AM
    Thank you for all your responses. Especially @ratsttam - your explanation of the reboot makes sense.

My problem isn't with Android, but an issue I have with data access on the phone (it just stops working at random intervals in random places) - a problem I never had with Blackberry. I am really attacted by the Torch, the idea of the touchscreen and keyboard is something I've been hoping for for a while. I'd have never got my Desire if the Torch was out earlier this year!

10-19-10 07:54 AM
    I've owned two BB, and 8320 and an 8900. Both took a long time to reboot, and the 8900 has gotten much worse in the 18 months I've had it. But installing software isn't something I do that often, so it's not a serious issue for me.

I've tried two Android phones. The MyTouch and the recent G2. I returned both for the same reason: I could not get through a day on a single battery charge, even with light usage. For me, this is a serious issue. I like the Android interface, for the most part, but I am simply not interested in a phone that I have to charge twice a day. Another issue was auto-text. Although there are apps for it in Android, they're not as robust as BB auto-text (no smart capitalization, for example).

Ubizmo
    10-19-10 09:47 AM
    I've owned two BB, and 8320 and an 8900. Both took a long time to reboot, and the 8900 has gotten much worse in the 18 months I've had it. But installing software isn't something I do that often, so it's not a serious issue for me.

I've tried two Android phones. The MyTouch and the recent G2. I returned both for the same reason: I could not get through a day on a single battery charge, even with light usage. For me, this is a serious issue. I like the Android interface, for the most part, but I am simply not interested in a phone that I have to charge twice a day. Another issue was auto-text. Although there are apps for it in Android, they're not as robust as BB auto-text (no smart capitalization, for example).

Ubizmo
    AutoText is a big feature. It is something that I use a lot and would not want to let it go now. That it enough in itself to continue with a BlackBerry smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 02:28 PM

Ubizmo
    That's the exact reason why I'm going back to blackberry and selling my EVO. It's a cool phone, but the battery would go down literally within five minutes, and that's with the phone just sitting on my desk at work or someplace else. I've also missed the instant notifications, my berrybuzz app, bbm, and lots of other blackberry stuff..lol
    10-19-10 06:12 PM
    Its ashame what Rim is doing I don't know why anyone would want a bb after using a Android device.I was hoping the 9670 was going to be released on Verizon but again Rim is releasing carrier specific! I would love to come back to bb but my Fascinate is a awesome device and blows away any bb on the market.
    A lot of my friends that had BB's and then go to the Android eventually go back to a blackberry... For me, an Android seems too much like a toy...
    10-21-10 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD