Anyone know how I can set up my Blackberry so when I am at home I will be getting my connection from my wifi and not using up my meager 2mb plan?
    Last edited by RogerGuy; 06-12-09 at 09:44 AM.
    06-12-09 09:30 AM
    I believe the Blackberry will use the wi-fi connection for data over the mobile network as soon as it connects.

Best way to test it is to turn off the mobile network temporarily and try to browse the internet or send an email. If that still works with the mobile network connection turned off you know you're using wi-fi and you're 2mb can be used when you're outside of wi-fi coverage.
    06-12-09 09:50 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 09:54 AM
    Just finished reading that page, (complete wifi how) very helpful, thanks all.
    06-12-09 10:16 AM
    Just finished reading that page, (complete wifi how) very helpful, thanks all.
    You're welcome

I don't know if it's mentioned in that thread but when you are connected to wifi and browsing the web (or whatever else you my be using the wifi for) you may want to turn off your mobile network temporarily just to be safe. You can do that by going to the Manage Connections icon and uncheck the box next to "Mobile Network". Just make sure you turn it back on when you are finished.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 10:26 AM
    Was doing that, just wasn't really sure if it was necessary. Didn't want to go back and forth all the time and forget to turn it on outside of my wifi range.

From what I read from that link, as long as i have UMA connection displayed on the screen,I should be using wifi and not my 2mb data plan, right?

you may want to turn off your mobile network temporarily just to be safe. You can do that by going to the Manage Connections icon and uncheck the box next to "Mobile Network". Just make sure you turn it back on when you are finished.
    06-12-09 10:39 AM
    I am afraid you have confused the Roger data plan with T-Mobiles similar plan.

Rogers bills data useage against your plan, whether you are using the EDGE network or UMA. T-Mobile, offers unlimited data while on UMA.

When your Curve does go UMA active, all of your voice and data will use the internet connection which you experience as improved performance.

If you want to Web Browse using just your Internet connection, that can be done by changing your default Browser to Hotspot. The Hotspot Browser does not use your plan data.
    06-12-09 11:45 AM
    thanks for the info, i think i finally got it figured out

I am afraid you have confused the Roger data plan with T-Mobiles similar plan.

Rogers bills data useage against your plan, whether you are using the EDGE network or UMA. T-Mobile, offers unlimited data while on UMA.

When your Curve does go UMA active, all of your voice and data will use the internet connection which you experience as improved performance.

If you want to Web Browse using just your Internet connection, that can be done by changing your default Browser to Hotspot. The Hotspot Browser does not use your plan data.
    06-12-09 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD