Hi, I'm getting my first BB around.. april 6th- april 8th. I have T-Mobile right now, which sucks. (in my opinion) anyway, I will be switching to Verizon. I've done some research and here are my questions:
    1. Is it okay if i buy from third-party sellers, particularly amazon?
    2. Should i get the storm 2, the tour 1, a crappy phone then wait for the Tour2/Essex, or get one of those and upgrade through amazon?
    3. which one is better? storm 2 vs. Tour 1 vs. Tour 2 vs. Droid?
    It's my first thread. help me out.
    03-25-10 06:57 PM
    1. You shouldn't have a problem with most 3rd party sellers. I've never gotten a phone online, but Amazon is a pretty reputable company, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I work for a major retailer in their wireless department, and we would be considered a 3rd party retailer, and we provide virtually everything that a company store can provide besides tech support. I would avoid purchasing a used phone from an individual though, I would only buy a new device from an authorized retailer.
    2. First, do you want a touch screen or a physical keyboard. The major difference between the Tour1 (9630) and the Tour2 (9650) is that the 9650 has a trackpad as opposed to the trackball, and it is WiFi capable, where the 9630 is not. If those aren't big selling points for you, then I would suggest the 9630 for a couple reasons. First, you will be able to pick one up pretty cheap anymore, especially with the 9650 on it's way, and there is little doubt that device will have a fairly high price to start out with. They'll both support OS 5.0, same memory, processors, etc. If you're wanting touchscreen, then the Storm2.
    3. See above for the comparison on the BB's. As far as the Droid is concerned, it's a nice device, but be aware of what you're getting. It has a far better web browser than the BB does, but it doesn't have the integration of the BB. One of the coolest things about the BB platform is that everything kind of works together, and I'll give you an example. I downloaded the Dictionary.com app, an app that is not developed by RIM (3rd party). I receive an e-mail that has a word in it that I don't know, so instead of having to remember the word, back out, open the app and enter it in and search it, if I just highlight the word in the e-mail, press menu, and select "define", it automatically opens up the dictionary app, and finds my definition. If you download Google Maps, if you have someone's address in your address book, you can just press menu, and locate their home using Google Maps, without having to copy the address, open the app, and paste it to search (I'd imagine the Droid would do this too, as the OS is developed by Google).
    I would suggest going to a VZW store and playing with each one, that's truly the only way you'll be able to figure it out!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 08:57 PM
    Do you like the touch screen aspect? I just ask because I know most people have some trouble getting used to that at first.

I always am a fan of going corporate, just because I've always seen the corporate stores set up virtually everything for the customer.

If this is your first smartphone, I guess you would want to look at what features are most important to you. Do you use gmail and want push features and such? Does the camera quality matter to you? (Altho the three you initially mention all have great photo quality)
    03-25-10 10:33 PM
    I still will need some time between touch screen and physical keyboard, but it seems like it depends on my personal preferences. I'll have to take some time to visit a verizon store and check out both the 9630, and the storm 2. Forget the droid, I tried using my friends' droid today, and it failed my expectations. haha thank you so much !!
    03-26-10 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD