01-12-12 09:34 AM
45 12
tools
    I realize my questions have no answers and this has probably been beat down, but I want to get everyones opinion regardless. Ive had a blackberry tour on Verizon the past few years. Ive loved it but have to get a new phone by *tomorrow night* because it is no longer working and need it ASAP. I recently bought the galaxy nexus and wanted more than anything to like it. I even managed to talk the manager into letting me keep it for an extra 2 weeks so I could try to get used to the device and typing. Needless to say I hated it and returned it. I never adjusted to touch screen typing and I found many other flaws/disadvantages and overall found it to be incredibly inferior to a blackberry for my needs. I wont go the iphone route either. Let me say the iphone/nexus/etc are incredible phones, but to me they are toys. I feel the main reason these phones dominate over blackberries is due to the incredible advertising, hopping on the bandwagon mentality, and large application selection (which means mainly games, and to me makes it more of a toy). I use my phone at work constantly. I just finished my residency and as a doctor I heavily depend on email and quick typing and efficient responding. I need a strong, sturdy phone like a blackberry as I've dropped the Tour many times w/o a case and never caused any damage, while I see cracked screens on iphones/android touch screens everyday. I need a good camera as well because often we like to see improvements of wounds via pictures.

MY QUESTION: Buying a new phone means I will have it for the next 1.5-2 years. As mentioned, blackberries new OS which who knows will come out could create an Osborne Effect and I hope they dont go under. But I am considering a blackberry bold 9930 for Verizon. I played with it and it seems great, but I am willing to use my friends phone for the next 6 months if it means there is any good chance an updated version of this bold (or a phone similar) will come out that is 4g with a better camera. Those 2 things are a dealbreaker for me right now with the 9930. Of the 5 doctors I rotate with I am the only one with a blackberry as everyone seems to have an iphone, so I am putting a lot of trust with blackberry. With the new route RIM is going it seems like 2012 is the year of the anticipated 4+ inch touchscreen and new OS, as they seem like they are fading further away from the physical keyboard and trackpad for now which to me is what makes a blackberry a blackberry. So it is either purchase the bold tonight or tomorrow and settle with a phone that is just ok for my needs now and may have an obsolete OS soon, or wait 6 months for an updated version to come out that would be perfect for my needs? Once again, I know there is no definative answer, I am looking purely for advice.
    01-10-12 05:30 PM
    They are not fading away the Keyboard. They will have different lines of products. From full touch to touch+QWERTY Keyboard.
    From your post, you would be better off buying a device currently available with Blackberry. The new phone will be coming out in late 2012 and will be full touch. Since you already tried the touchscreens and didn't like them, the best choice would be OS7 devices. The BB9900/9930 is my pick.
    Don't worry RIM will be supporting the OS for another 3-5 years at least.
    01-10-12 05:39 PM
    Yeah, for you I'll second that 9900 call.
    01-10-12 05:41 PM
    I realize my questions have no answers and this has probably been beat down, but I want to get everyone’s opinion regardless. I’ve had a blackberry tour on Verizon the past few years. I’ve loved it but have to get a new phone by *tomorrow night* because it is no longer working and need it ASAP. I recently bought the galaxy nexus and wanted more than anything to like it. I even managed to talk the manager into letting me keep it for an extra 2 weeks so I could try to get used to the device and typing. Needless to say I hated it and returned it. I never adjusted to touch screen typing and I found many other flaws/disadvantages and overall found it to be incredibly inferior to a blackberry for my needs. I won’t go the iphone route either. Let me say the iphone/nexus/etc are incredible phones, but to me they are toys. I feel the main reason these phones dominate over blackberries is due to the incredible advertising, ‘hopping on the bandwagon’ mentality, and large application selection (which means mainly games, and to me makes it more of a toy). I use my phone at work constantly. I just finished my residency and as a doctor I heavily depend on email and quick typing and efficient responding. I need a strong, sturdy phone like a blackberry as I've dropped the Tour many times w/o a case and never caused any damage, while I see cracked screens on iphones/android touch screens everyday. I need a good camera as well because often we like to see improvements of wounds via pictures.

MY QUESTION: Buying a new phone means I will have it for the next 1.5-2 years. As mentioned, blackberries new OS which who knows will come out could create an Osborne Effect and I hope they don’t go under. But I am considering a blackberry bold 9930 for Verizon. I played with it and it seems great, but I am willing to use my friend’s phone for the next 6 months if it means there is any good chance an updated version of this bold (or a phone similar) will come out that is 4g with a better camera. Those 2 things are a dealbreaker for me right now with the 9930. Of the 5 doctors I rotate with I am the only one with a blackberry as everyone seems to have an iphone, so I am putting a lot of trust with blackberry. With the new route RIM is going it seems like 2012 is the year of the anticipated 4+ inch touchscreen and new OS, as they seem like they are fading further away from the physical keyboard and trackpad for now which to me is what makes a blackberry a blackberry. So it is either purchase the bold tonight or tomorrow and settle with a phone that is just ‘ok’ for my needs now and may have an obsolete OS soon, or wait 6 months for an updated version to come out that would be perfect for my needs? Once again, I know there is no definative answer, I am looking purely for advice.
    Well "dr". I work in Radiology as a systems analyst and I don't know what "hospital" you work in but taking a picture of a patients wound without consent is a violation of hippa and on a phone makes it even more of an issue since the phone is not secured through the hospitals servers. I could go on about why the iPhone is used so often by physicians. I.E, can see imaging from radiology on the phone from our PACS system. And is controlled by our data security folks. So if you are a DR. Please don't take pictures of your patients wounds on your personal phone.

Because it boils down to this if you take a patients wound picture and your phone is stolen or lost how are YOU protecting your patients ?
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 01-10-12 at 06:30 PM.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    01-10-12 06:26 PM
    i have a blackberry 9930 with verizon .i have had it since sept .no problems at all.love it.
    01-10-12 06:29 PM
    I recently bought the galaxy nexus and wanted more than anything to like it. I even managed to talk the manager into letting me keep it for an extra 2 weeks so I could try to get used to the device and typing. Needless to say I hated it and returned it. I never adjusted to touch screen typing and I found many other flaws/disadvantages and overall found it to be incredibly inferior to a blackberry for my needs. I wont go the iphone route either. Let me say the iphone/nexus/etc are incredible phones, but to me they are toys. I feel the main reason these phones dominate over blackberries is due to the incredible advertising, hopping on the bandwagon mentality, and large application selection (which means mainly games, and to me makes it more of a toy).
    The fact that you did not receive 20 likes/thanks for this is shocking in and of itself.

9900 is a good device.
    01-10-12 06:36 PM
    Mike, you will be happy with the 9930.
    01-10-12 07:05 PM
    Well "dr". I work in Radiology as a systems analyst and I don't know what "hospital" you work in but taking a picture of a patients wound without consent is a violation of hippa and on a phone makes it even more of an issue since the phone is not secured through the hospitals servers. I could go on about why the iPhone is used so often by physicians. I.E, can see imaging from radiology on the phone from our PACS system. And is controlled by our data security folks. So if you are a DR. Please don't take pictures of your patients wounds on your personal phone.

Because it boils down to this if you take a patients wound picture and your phone is stolen or lost how are YOU protecting your patients ?
    Thanks for your concern but I'm very familiar with HIPPA and I've had this discussion numerous times and I'd like to bring up some points:
    1) I never said I took a picture without consent.
    2) A picture that has absolutely NO identification and used in the way we use it is not a hippa violation. A picture is simply taken, printed off in color from the printer, placed in the patients chart, and then deleted. These are never of the patients face or privates, they are of the arms or legs as that is what our scope entails. I don't personally use my camera because it sucked on my phone, but other doctors have used theirs. We prefer a digital camera ofcourse but it is not always available.
    3) Interesting point you bring up about phones and patient protection. I feel phones or tablets are going to become more of a mainstream in hospitals. With the way hospitals are transferring to computer systems it just makes sense. I don't know about you but I would feel more comfortable with patient privacy with electronics such as a phone/tablet than a hardcopy. It's happened: you're walking down the hall and you find a folded up piece of paper and its the morning report of another group of doctors rounding that just happened to slip out. Those things are printed off 2-4 times a day on a piece of paper and you have to make sure they are disposed of in the proper bin, the odds of losing this are much more common. I've NEVER lost my phone or tablet or had it stolen, but to have a white coat or jacket stolen while you lay it down for a minute or have something slip out is much more likely.
    4) I'm interested in hearing about your radiology and iphone compatability. It is arguments like yours that make make me consider an iphone, but in all honest of all the medical apps or programs I use I only find myself using one here and there (Epocrates).
    01-10-12 07:13 PM
    If pictures is a priority, get something with an auto-focus camera.

I would suggest the 9790 if you can get your hands on it in your area (and if you have AT&T to unlock it to). If you're not in the UK or Canada then you'd have to have a friend buy and ship it to you.

Until then, I would suggest buying a 9700/9780 or 9650 if you're on CDMA network to hold yourself over for now. Which cell carrier are you with?

EDIT:

I just saw that you're with Verizon. The 9650 I believe has an Auto Focus camera. I would suggest the new Torch 9810, but don't believe it will be released for Verizon...

However, if you're looking for the latest tech offerings, and you can put up with a "decent" camera, then the 9930 is the way to go.
    Last edited by jranciano; 01-10-12 at 07:26 PM.
    01-10-12 07:23 PM
    Hey doc, get the 9930. It's a fantastic device and there are different settings on the camera...once you get used to it the camera will take any pic you need.
    01-10-12 07:39 PM
    Do yourself a solid and get a PlayBook as well. Perfect combo for a doc.
    01-10-12 08:08 PM
    Yea, once you use it the 99xx camera can take a good close up shot. Even makes short work of the whole bar code and other one. My buddy has a 9900 and I want one.

But the 9810 is a nice compromise between a great keyboard and a more touch screen phone for media.

But like another said. Get the 99xx and a PlayBook. Best combo there is.
    01-10-12 08:13 PM
    Get the 9900 and pair it with a PlayBook

CES is showing use the playbook is getting an excellent OS upgrade in February...Ex. email/contacts/calendar will be quite useful for you, a busy doctor

Another option is 9810 + PlayBook - the Torch 9810 has a great camera and the PlayBook is a nice size for on-screen typing.
    Last edited by anthogag; 01-10-12 at 08:21 PM.
    01-10-12 08:18 PM
    Got to love the keyboard commando's up there acting all high and migHty.

I recommend the 9930 as well. Friend has one and if you figure the camera out, it takes good pics really.

That or the 9790, which is basically a supped up 9700. If not for wanting a bigger phone I would rock that one.

Good luck!
    01-10-12 08:55 PM
    I recommend 9790 because the camera has autofocus. If you have bigger fingers and enjoy more space for the keyboard, I would suggest the 9900/9930.
    01-10-12 09:51 PM
    Agree with BaconMunch. Try both the Bold 9790 and 9900/9930 to see what form factor works best for you. Autofocus camera on Bold 9790 if that is a dealbreaker for you.

I need accuracy when it comes to typing long and important e-mails. That's why Blackberry won it for me when I was a free agent for phones (never owned a Blackberry or full qwerty before). I have the Torch 9800 (great autofocus cam) but may consider upgrading to the larger KB on the 9790 or 9900 to type even faster.
    01-10-12 10:17 PM
    The OP mentioned he's on Verizon and there's no CDMA variant of the 9790.

So the OP has to chose from a Bold 9930, Torch 9850, or the upcoming Curve 9370.

Choose the Torch 9850 if you NEED an autofocus camera, but if not necessary, the Bold 9930 hands down if you're coming from a Tour.
    01-10-12 10:32 PM
    Forget the 9850. It is a full touchscreen phone. The OP doesn't like onscreen keyboards from what I read. Get the 9930. It has the best keyboard and the camera is ok for the type of pictures you are taking. I still think the 9850/9860 Playbook is the best combination BB has. Don't wait for the new BB10 phones. The first one will be all touchscreen and it might be even longer before a keyboard version hits the market.
    01-11-12 02:28 AM
    Dr. Mike pm me and I can give you the details of the iPhone and radiology.
    01-11-12 05:43 AM
    I would suggest you try a 9930, plus get a Playbook while they are on sale. The Playbook should be able to display your X-Rays unless they are in a proprietary file format. If your hospital supports a BES network, you may even be able to get into the secure network with the phone and Playbook, while not physically in the hospital.

With the new OS2 coming next month on the Playbook, you will also be able to use the excellent keyboard on the 9930 to type on the Playbook. Just check out some of the links on the main Crackberry page in regards to CES.

A few of the parents at my kids school are in the medical field. Some have iPhones, some have Blackberries. One of the mothers had her own private 9900 and mentioned that RIM actually has staff in the Hospital that will help her with it, even though it is not a hospital phone. Another parent, a Doctor, mentioned that they looked at replacing the pager system with cell phones, but there was too much lag and variability to text messaging. The conclusion was only a Blackberry with BBM would be acceptable because there was no lag to message delivery. Since a lot have moved to iPhones, they stuck with the pagers.
    Last edited by robsteve; 01-11-12 at 07:54 AM.
    01-11-12 07:50 AM
    It looks like the best combination for a doctor is a new Curve with autofocus camera, paired with the playbook.

The playbook is much nicer than ANY smartphone for viewing and sending emails. The new OS2 upgrade will be sweet and the playbook fits perfectly into larger pockets as found on the coats doctors typically wear.

And hospitals are wifi zones and OS2 will give us native email on the playbook.

01-11-12 11:33 AM
    Let me say the iphone/nexus/etc are incredible phones, but to me they are toys. I feel the main reason these phones dominate over blackberries is due to the incredible advertising, hopping on the bandwagon mentality, and large application selection (which means mainly games, and to me makes it more of a toy).
    The fact that you did not receive 20 likes/thanks for this is shocking in and of itself.
    The minute I read that in the OP I disregarded the rest of it as the usual baiting-put-down-all-other-phones-don't -really-want-any-help. I am so over the toys argument. It's 2012 and it's stupid and patently untrue.

As far as a BB - the 9900 although without auto focus the pictures it may not be the best choice and if it bricks and leaves one phoneless that could also suck.
    01-11-12 12:23 PM
    You should get what phone you want and what works for you. You're on a BB forum. Of course people are gonna tell you to get a BB. Go to the iMore forums and it'll be iPhones. Go to Android Central and it'll be Android.

I work with 15 doctors and 18 CRNAs and most of them have iPhones for both the medical apps and ease of use.
    01-11-12 12:31 PM
    like others stated 9900. best of both worlds
    01-11-12 12:57 PM
    The minute I read that in the OP I disregarded the rest of it as the usual baiting-put-down-all-other-phones-don't -really-want-any-help. I am so over the toys argument. It's 2012 and it's stupid and patently untrue.
    Right - because an itouch that can make phone calls isnt a toy. Truth hurt?

As far as a BB - the 9900 although without auto focus the pictures it may not be the best choice and if it bricks and leaves one phoneless that could also suck.
    And if an iphone bricks - is it still useful? LOL!

Trolls are fun.
    01-11-12 01:04 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD