I worked late last night and went to bed knowing that I'd just get a few hours of sleep. I had an important appointment the next morning. While setting my Bold's alarm clock, I noticed that the battery meter was about 3/4 full - so I didn't plug it in over night as I usually do. 3/4 in standby mode will last for days after all, right?

Well apparently not. I woke up due to natural causes 3 hours past the time I had set the alarm to go off. I checked the device and it was shut off completely. No button pressing of any sort turned it back on, nada. Only after 20 minutes of having it plugged did I even manage to switch it back on, with the battery meter being a vibrant red and the LED flashing like a mad cow.

The lesson? Pick one:
    - never rely on the battery meter as it may be off by a whole darn lot
    - always plug that phone in when you have the chance to
    - always drink 2 gallons of water before going to sleep as a back-up in case your Blackberry alarm clock will fail.
    09-02-09 08:35 AM
    LoL, now that sucks. Also too you might have had another program running in the background maybe? That could kill it.
    09-02-09 08:43 AM
    If I had something important to wake up for I would never trust a non plugged in phone. I plug it in every night wether it needs it or not, just in case.
    09-02-09 08:54 AM
    Lol, this is funny because yesterday I went through something similar. I missed a conference call because for some reason my alarm did not go off!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 09:03 AM
    3/4 stand by with nothing else running in the background yes. With other apps no it will cause a drain... Was this the case? Maybe....
    09-02-09 09:05 AM
    I always plug in my phone at night, regardless of whether it needs to be or not. I use my phone as my main alarm, and as you pointed out, I don't trust it to not die. Plus I use my phone quite a bit, so having at 100% as much as possible works out for me.
    09-02-09 09:08 AM
    Auto Off enabled?
    09-02-09 09:20 AM
    Oh man that sucks! I hope you still have a job!

09-02-09 09:26 AM
    I worked late last night and went to bed knowing that I'd just get a few hours of sleep. I had an important appointment the next morning. While setting my Bold's alarm clock, I noticed that the battery meter was about 3/4 full - so I didn't plug it in over night as I usually do. 3/4 in standby mode will last for days after all, right?

Well apparently not. I woke up due to natural causes 3 hours past the time I had set the alarm to go off. I checked the device and it was shut off completely. No button pressing of any sort turned it back on, nada. Only after 20 minutes of having it plugged did I even manage to switch it back on, with the battery meter being a vibrant red and the LED flashing like a mad cow.

The lesson? Pick one:
    - never rely on the battery meter as it may be off by a whole darn lot
    - always plug that phone in when you have the chance to
    - always drink 2 gallons of water before going to sleep as a back-up in case your Blackberry alarm clock will fail.
    At the risk of rubbing sault in the wound, I would NEVER trust my cell phone alarm to wake me up for an important appt and definitely not one that is not plugged in. Now THAT'S asking for trouble.
    09-02-09 09:26 AM
    I'm sorry you missed your meeting, that's the worst. I don't mean to be rude but this was more your fault, you should have just plugged it in even if you weren't going to sleep long.

You most likely had something running in the back.
    09-02-09 09:46 AM
    Oh man that sucks! I hope you still have a job!
    Haha, well I work for myself so the question would be if I still have the client - I do, fortunately he's a cool guy and laughed just like I did when I told him what had happened. It's all good
    09-02-09 10:20 AM
    Thank God you have a cool client or that BB might have needed a beating!
    09-02-09 10:22 AM
    I'm sorry you missed your meeting, that's the worst. I don't mean to be rude but this was more your fault, you should have just plugged it in even if you weren't going to sleep long.

You most likely had something running in the back.
    ^^ and everybody else, thanks for the sympathy Yes it was my fault for not plugging it in, I know better now. I *thought* I had switched off any apps that were running - apparently I hadn't, this is my only explanation.

I'll go out buy a dozen extra power cords and batteries now, lol.
    09-02-09 10:28 AM
    Thanks for being a good sport.
    09-02-09 11:01 AM
    .......I'll go out buy a dozen extra power cords and batteries now, lol.
    No need for that many. Charger in your briefcase/bag/whatever, car charger, and charger or pod/charger to drop it into at night.......
    09-02-09 11:25 AM
    I always just turn the phone off.. If you have an alarm set it turns the phone back on the sound the alarm. Check it out, set your alarm then turn the phone off, before it goes off it should say "Next turn on time (then date and time of alarm)". Hasn't failed me yet!

09-02-09 11:55 AM
    I never NOT plug my BlackBerry in when I go to bed precisely for this reason. I wouldn't want to risk my BlackBerry going dead and not waking me up at the time I set it for.
    09-02-09 12:07 PM
    That really sucks, is it possible that since you were so tired you misread the battery meter? Like others here, I plug my Berry in every night, but that doesn't keep me from forgetting to take it off the silent profile and sleeping through the alarm! LOL
    09-02-09 12:12 PM
    If I have something really important to wake up for I never just set one thing, eg. I'll set both my BB and my alarm clock.
    09-02-09 01:14 PM
    ... but that doesn't keep me from forgetting to take it off the silent profile and sleeping through the alarm! LOL
    I hear that. I have the same problem... im not sure how many more times i can use that explanation to the boss lol
    09-02-09 01:26 PM
    I have my regular alarm clock and my phone alarm clock
    09-02-09 03:12 PM
    I have my regular alarm clock and my phone alarm clock; I never depend on just my phone cause half the time, I forget to set it or something else silly
    09-02-09 03:13 PM
    I always set my phone alarm, and an alarm clock across the room, 5 minute intervals. I've had the power go out in the middle of the night and screw up my alarm too. Never can be too safe!
    09-02-09 03:15 PM
    Unlike everyone else here I rely entirely on my Blackberry. My radio alarm clock has stopped actually making a noise or turning the radio on at the alarm time but my Blackberry has never, in two years, let me down as yet.

09-02-09 03:41 PM
    Even on silent the alarm should sound. Is that the excuse you're giving your boss?
    09-07-09 10:06 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD