What culture clash?

Small town in Canada vs. small town in Sweden --- it's the same thing. You ain't getting respect from silicon valley.

The youtube videos DON'T represent TAT --- they are just PR commercials. The paying customers including the Android UI represents TAT.

After Microsoft bought Hotmail, it took Microsoft 4 years to migrate from unix servers to windows servers --- and at the time of the purchase, Hotmail had only 9 million users.

Now RIM has to re-architecture their NOC servers to handle 2 devices per person, migrate from windows server to qnx servers and handle 70 million users.
    spike12 likes this.
    11-03-11 09:00 PM
    Small town Sweden?!? What on earth are you talking about?!?

TAT is located in a major metropolitan region with over 3 million people. Culturally and intellectually it's a world away from small town Waterloo and its professional monoculture. A mindset and culture a lot closer to Apple than to RIM.

If anything, they got more in common with the Silicon Valley types than the fairly traditional and old fashioned environment at RIM.
    11-04-11 05:34 AM
    TAT had been contracted by phone manufacturers to design phone UI's or years before they were bought out by RIM.

Guess how many phone manufacturers use those TAT futuristic UI's in actual production models? NONE.
    So what if none used them. Perhaps the hardware specs were not there to pull this off. Just because yoy think it is only PR and no manufacturer used it yet, does not mean RIM won't. There may be many things under the hood that TAT delivers to make the next OS "magical".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Just Me likes this.
    11-04-11 07:19 AM

TAT is located in a major metropolitan region with over 3 million people. Culturally and intellectually it's a world away from small town Waterloo and its professional monoculture. A mindset and culture a lot closer to Apple than to RIM.

If anything, they got more in common with the Silicon Valley types than the fairly traditional and old fashioned environment at RIM.
    TAT is located in Malm� with a population of 300,000.

Waterloo is the math/computer science capital --- much like MIT in Boston. Then we have to talk about the gap between start-ups between silicon valley and the east coast (Boston and NY).

So what if none used them. Perhaps the hardware specs were not there to pull this off. Just because yoy think it is only PR and no manufacturer used it yet, does not mean RIM won't. There may be many things under the hood that TAT delivers to make the next OS "magical".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The "magical" stuff came from TAT's "advance prototype" group (that's what they call themselves in the RIM keynote speeches). Nothing to do with actual production units.
    11-04-11 12:40 PM

The only thing TAT has in common with Apple is their interest in aesthetics. Their commonality ends there. I dont pretend to know what cultures exist in which regions and if the programmers are shackled to those stereotypes. What Ive seen is both TAT and RIM have been working towards blurring the lines between individual apps in the interest of the over arching experience. Social feeds and BB travel are two rudimentary examples of that direction dating way back to BBOS6. The Apple model is rather different, they have isolated beautiful useful apps in little square boxes. This direction will feel old some day. Perhaps SIRI will tell me something different but TAT demonstration at DEVCON of blurring the lines between traditional apps like the inbox, calendar, and tasks is something new and very exciting.

That is the future, and its coming to BBX.
    Korepab likes this.
    11-04-11 05:59 PM
    What culture clash?

Small town in Canada vs. small town in Sweden --- it's the same thing. You ain't getting respect from silicon valley.

The youtube videos DON'T represent TAT --- they are just PR commercials. The paying customers including the Android UI represents TAT.

After Microsoft bought Hotmail, it took Microsoft 4 years to migrate from unix servers to windows servers --- and at the time of the purchase, Hotmail had only 9 million users.

Now RIM has to re-architecture their NOC servers to handle 2 devices per person, migrate from windows server to qnx servers and handle 70 million users.
    I hope you are not right but scope of what RIM is facing is unprecedented.
    11-19-11 12:55 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD