My GF just lost her android that has motoblur and remote wipe, which is nice, but needs a data connection to work. In the five minutes it took to realize she left it in the store, somebody picked it up AND shut off the connection...donkey!!!
    Its great knowing that my Berry will protect my info whether its connected or not and will not give any donkey that picks it up more than three tries to slice my info off the phone! And, thanks to my PC backups, I won't lose any of my info
    Its kinda crazy when I started thinking about all the stuff I have on here...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 11:15 AM
    Security has been a priority since day one with Research in Motion.

Let's hope the thieves are only interested in the valuable of the hardware, not the personal information that is in the wind.
    05-08-10 11:22 AM
    ...Let's hope the thieves are only interested in the valuable of the hardware, not the personal information that is in the wind.
    Agreed. I already had her go through and change ALL her passwords. Hopefully that will minimize the damage...

05-08-10 11:55 AM
    Security is a bonus with BB. One more reason I stick around. A few minutes ago I almost laughed at a salesman trying to convince me the backflip is better. LOL. No way!

05-08-10 12:00 PM
    Great point about data connection being instrumental to the security of the other device. I'm using a password on my BlackBerry, and encryption's turned on!

05-08-10 10:24 PM
    This is just another example of why everyone should password protect their blackberry. I get users all the time at work that ask me how to turn OFF the password option. I always try to explain to them I don't think they would want anyone to get their hands on all of the personal information they probably have on their phone!
    Its kind of scary when I think about all the information I have on my phone.

05-09-10 12:50 AM
    This is just another example of why everyone should password protect their blackberry. I get users all the time at work that ask me how to turn OFF the password option. I always try to explain to them I don't think they would want anyone to get their hands on all of the personal information they probably have on their phone!
    Its kind of scary when I think about all the information I have on my phone.

I wholeheartedly agree!!! I may not have national security secrets on my phone, but my info is VERY important to me!
    My contacts, email, heck all of the passwords in the password keeper app (which has its own password and wipe for those who don't know) would be personally devastating to me to lose. That's why even though I look longingly at the features, fun, and functionality of the other players out there I find them wanting in security for my tastes.

05-09-10 01:15 AM
    Device itself security is nice. But BIG question is what kind of information the RIM is collecting when we use our BB phones
    05-09-10 02:13 AM
    Just curious, after the pre-set attempts to crack a password, and typing "blackberry" to wipe the device. The person that stole the blackberry...can't they just re-load the OS? Or is it still password protected.

Reason I ask this is because, I don't have "important" info on my BB, just contact info that's already backed up. It's the hardware that's important to me.
    05-09-10 03:37 AM
    Just set mine up, lol! I don't have a lot of info on it, but I guess you never know and is better to be safe than sorry. Should have done this awhile ago.

05-09-10 03:50 AM
    Device itself security is nice. But BIG question is what kind of information the RIM is collecting when we use our BB phones
    This IS a good question. One can never be certain who (besides the ordinary consumer) subsidizes whom and for what reason. But the same holds true for Google and henceforth "android."

05-09-10 06:29 AM
    It's not RIM that I would ask this question about. The way I would have phrased the question, is what information does the government collect when we make phone calls and use the internet. I'd rather have RIM collect the information than the government.
    05-09-10 08:25 AM
    Just curious, after the pre-set attempts to crack a password, and typing "blackberry" to wipe the device. The person that stole the blackberry...can't they just re-load the OS? Or is it still password protected.

Reason I ask this is because, I don't have "important" info on my BB, just contact info that's already backed up. It's the hardware that's important to me.
    They could still reload the OS, but your information is still not going to be on the phone. If the phone is reported stolen/lost to your phone carrier, they are not going to be able to use the hardware. It will basically become a paper weight

05-09-10 10:40 AM
    If the phone is reported stolen/lost to your phone carrier, they are not going to be able to use the hardware. It will basically become a paper weight
    Actually, not. Of course a blocked PIN will equal a BlackBerry without e-mail and RIM applications, but the device itself is still very usable as a phone and PDA device. That's what I use mine for as I have no other choice (carrier doesn't support BlackBerry services), so taking this small limitation into account it's not a real issue in my opinion, because one must be really stupid to try and register a stolen device with a carrier anyway.

Plus, I'm pretty sure most BlackBerry smartphones that get stolen end up one way or another to Craigslist or similar... then sold to innocent people as fully working devices.
    05-09-10 11:10 AM
    Actually, not. Of course a blocked PIN will equal a BlackBerry without e-mail and RIM applications, but the device itself is still very usable as a phone and PDA device. That's what I use mine for as I have no other choice (carrier doesn't support BlackBerry services), so taking this small limitation into account it's not a real issue in my opinion, because one must be really stupid to try and register a stolen device with a carrier anyway.

Plus, I'm pretty sure most BlackBerry smartphones that get stolen end up one way or another to Craigslist or similar... then sold to innocent people as fully working devices.
    If its reported stolen to the carrier, the ESN is going to be flagged as so and the device is not going to be able to be registered with BIS.

05-09-10 11:21 AM
    Nothing compared to what Google collects if you're so careless of security as to use an Android phone....
    05-09-10 11:23 AM
    That's impossible if you follow Craig's List rules of face to face, cash only. You meet, activate the phone on your account, hand over the cash and you're good to go.

Another option is to meet at the VZW, T-Mo, Sprint, etc. store and have the phone activated right there.
    05-09-10 11:27 AM
    Just set mine up, lol! I don't have a lot of info on it, but I guess you never know and is better to be safe than sorry. Should have done this awhile ago.

Glad you did! Its bad enough that someone could take your phone, there's no reason to let them have access to any of your info by not having a password That's what upset my GF more than losing the phone was all of the personal stuff she had on there and not knowing if it was going to be erased before someone got it

05-09-10 12:14 PM
    While we are on the subject of security, an app I found very useful is called Smrtguard (smrtguard.com). It allows you to track your phones locations, remotely wipe your device, and some other features. They have a free and paid version.

05-09-10 12:27 PM
    While we are on the subject of security, an app I found very useful is called Smrtguard (smrtguard.com). It allows you to track your phones locations, remotely wipe your device, and some other features. They have a free and paid version.

Good reminder, I'll be checking this out today!
    I also seem to remember reading on the blogs recently a similar service that did remote backups as well...I'll see if I can find it

05-09-10 12:39 PM
    Can't be that much. the majority of your data (if not all) is stored only on your device or whatever cloud services it is connected to such as email or BES. And if I recall correctly, due to RIM being in Canada it's illegal to collect data about it's users.
    If anything I'd be worried about the gmail account that I use.

EDIT: The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada)
    The law gives individuals the right to:
    know why an organization collects, uses or discloses their personal information;
    expect an organization to collect, use or disclose their personal information reasonably and appropriately, and not use the information for any purpose other than that to which they have consented;
    know who in the organization is responsible for protecting their personal information;
    expect an organization to protect their personal information by taking appropriate security measures;
    expect the personal information an organization holds about them to be accurate, complete and up-to-date;
    obtain access to their personal information and ask for corrections if necessary; and
    complain about how an organization handles their personal information if they feel their privacy rights have not been respected.

The law requires organizations to:
    obtain consent when they collect, use or disclose their personal information;

supply an individual with a product or a service even if they refuse consent for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information unless that information is essential to the transaction;
    collect information by fair and lawful means; and
    have personal information policies that are clear, understandable and readily available.
    Last edited by grahamf; 05-09-10 at 12:53 PM.
    05-09-10 12:44 PM
    Good reminder, I'll be checking this out today!
    I also seem to remember reading on the blogs recently a similar service that did remote backups as well...I'll see if I can find it

Smrtguard will do remote backups as well.

05-09-10 01:03 PM
    Can't be that much. the majority of your data (if not all) is stored only on your device or whatever cloud services it is connected to such as email or BES. And if I recall correctly, due to RIM being in Canada it's illegal to collect data about it's users.
    If anything I'd be worried about the gmail account that I use.

EDIT: The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada)
    And I might be missing something here, but isn't it also the case that all information that goes to and from the BIS is encrypted so even RIM can't read it, only the person with the handset?
    05-09-10 05:25 PM
    And I might be missing something here, but isn't it also the case that all information that goes to and from the BIS is encrypted so even RIM can't read it, only the person with the handset?
    I'm pretty sure that's correct, something about requiring a bunch of keys to decrypt but RIM only has one, your carrier only has one, etc.
    05-09-10 05:36 PM

actually i believe that the phone retains the password even if wiped
    05-09-10 06:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD