I lost my precious BlackBerry today! i was going to attend an exam and then i realized i dropped it somewhere.
    I don't have my hopes high, getting it back is not what am aiming for. I called it and somebody took it and gave me a "user busy"
    MY QUESTION:
    I had it locked so is it possible that he/she gets access to my info? especially the pictures? and what if he/she took the micro sd out would that give them access to the pics? and id there anything i can do? when the blackberry wipes does it wipe what is in the micro sd?
    05-24-10 01:41 PM
    If it is locked and the person does not know the password, I can't see how they can get into your phone. If they took the SD card out and put it in a computer card reader is the only way they can access it. Other than that, call your carrier and have the phone reported lost/stolen so the person who picked it up will basically have a useless phone.
    05-24-10 01:43 PM
    what about the wiping, what exactly does it wipe?
    05-24-10 01:46 PM
    As far as I know, it will wipe the phone's device memory.
    05-24-10 01:48 PM
    The info on the BB will be wiped, BUT the pictures and anything on the media card they MAY be able (probably will) to access. What will happen is they will try to enter your password 10 times (or however many you have it set for) and then the BB will wipe, at which point they can use your BB. HOWEVER, you can and should report it lost/stolen, and this can make it more difficult for them to use your BB. Did you have a CDMA (Verizon or Sprint), or GSM (ATT or Tmobile) BB? Or are you from Europe in which case you are most likely GSM. If you are GSM, you are less able to prevent them from being able to use the BB. IF it's a CDMA, BB, then you can make it a brick by reporting it lost/stolen.
    05-24-10 01:49 PM
    The wipe will restore it to an "out of the box" condition. Essentially, all of your
    data and apps will be gone and only the OS will be left behind.

Good on you for using a password. I will never understand why so many don't.
    05-24-10 01:49 PM
    and the SD??
    05-24-10 01:50 PM
    The card will not be wiped, then can get your pictures. Sorry
    05-24-10 01:51 PM
    The card will not be wiped, then can get your pictures. Sorry
    :'(:'( mommyyy!
    05-24-10 01:53 PM
    Report that bad boy stolen to your carrier and also try to get them to get RIM to block the PIN (it's unlikely they will do it, but possible), this will make the BB very difficult to use. What model BB was it? Do you know if it was a GSM or CDMA BB? Who is your carrier?
    05-24-10 02:01 PM
    its a curve 8520 and my carrier is Zain Dont think your familiar with it
    I live in KSA =)
    and i already reported it and got a new SIM card but cant it be used just by replacing the SIM card???
    05-24-10 02:24 PM
    If you had the SD card contents encrypted, they will also be unreadable by the person. The contents will require the original encryption seed, once the wipe takes place the key is gone forever.
    05-24-10 02:30 PM
    if it was encrypted, then to wont be readable even after it gets wiped???
    05-24-10 02:33 PM
    Good on you for using a password. I will never understand why so many don't.
    Although I think its great for some people, I completely understand why so many people dont use it.

1) Its annoying and inconvenient for people that constantly go in and out of their phones.
    2) The lock button doesn't use the password feature
    3) You need the lock icon on your screen/menu to lock it.
    4) Some people NEVER let their phone leave their sides.

I don't use it for exactly all those reasons.
    05-24-10 02:39 PM
    You have a GSM BB, so it's limited in what can be blocked by the carrier. IF you can get them to get RIM to block the PIN, then you can make the BB, just a regular phone. But your ability to block the thief from using the BB are MUCH more limited than those of us in the US. And I am actually familiar with Zain.

Anyways good luck getting this thing resolved.
    05-24-10 02:39 PM
    If you lost your phone (god forbids) ull see that all the reasons u mentioned arent enough to stop you from setting a password, all your personal info's would be in the hands of a complete stranger

thank you very much, Ill see what I can do =)
    05-24-10 02:48 PM
    Although I think its great for some people, I completely understand why so many people dont use it.

1) Its annoying and inconvenient for people that constantly go in and out of their phones.
    2) The lock button doesn't use the password feature
    3) You need the lock icon on your screen/menu to lock it.
    4) Some people NEVER let their phone leave their sides.

I don't use it for exactly all those reasons.
    #'s 1, 2, and three I understand but my phone has info for my friends, family
    and professional contacts. I can suffer a few seconds of inconvenience
    to protect their information from a stranger.

#4 I think is just plain asinine and hyperbolic to the extreme.
    05-24-10 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD