I'm here to ask if anyone has noticed that their gps stops functioning if the phone is not rebooted at some reasonable point. Of course, I have no idea what that reasonable point might be and have no idea what might cause the behavior.

I've got os 5.xxxx.9xxxx - whatever the latest from Verizon might be and no hybrid.

I realized that BerryWeather was not finding a gps position a few weeks ago. I tried location update. No go. I then tried gpslogger - no go. And a Status test for gps - no go. So I rebooted. Aha, a gps in all those places.

I noticed the other day that I had, guess what, no gps locale in BW again. This has been a few days. I just rebooted on the drive home from REI and the gps is working.

So, I gather something happens to kill it after a while. My memory does not drop that much so I don't think it is specifically memory.

Any ideas other than rebooting.
    01-22-11 09:17 PM
    I just got refreshed with a 9650 on January 24. It's running OS 5.0.0.975. I haven't noticed any problem with the GPS while using Google Maps and Geocache Navigator to this point.
    01-29-11 07:52 PM
    I just got refreshed with a 9650 on January 24. It's running OS 5.0.0.975. I haven't noticed any problem with the GPS while using Google Maps and Geocache Navigator to this point.
    Aha, didn't you have the Tour? Moved UP, presumably! It happens every so often - no gps and a reboot appears necessary. What is interesting is that my memory, well, the Bold's memory, does appear to shrink very much. Relatively stable memory foot print but the gps stops. So it might be related to other things running in the background.
    02-16-11 05:06 PM
    Yes, I recently upgraded from the Verizon 9630 to the Verizon 9650. When I re-read your post, I realized that I have experienced this problem several times, both with the 9630 and with the 9650, and ALWAYS after traveling several hundred miles by plane with device turned off. Sometimes, but not always, the GPS receiver does not seem to be able to recompute its new position until it has been rebooted. This does not happen every time I fly, but it only happens when I fly.
    02-17-11 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD