I live in the states and want to buy a friend of mine up in Toronto a blackberry so we can BBM. She is on Telus and her contract does not expire until summer. Right now she has some dinky phone neither android, BB or iOS, nor does she have a data plan. I'm looking to get her ANYTHING that will allow us to send messages to each other. I was thinking of a blackberry and give her a few months worth of money for data. What are my options as far as phones and costs. I will appreciate all your insight. Thank you.
    ~Mark
    12-01-11 08:52 PM
    buy used one used and mail it to her. then tell her to call her carrier to set up data. look at Telus' website to see what phones they offer, then scour ebay or the marketplace forums for a used phone.
    12-02-11 12:51 AM
    If she doesn't travel much, consider Wind Mobile/Mobilicity since they have cheap data rates and no contract. Their coverage isn't the best and their phones are AWS band so you can't use it on any of the major networks in Canada but it is cost effective.
    12-02-11 01:23 AM
    Send her the funds & have her buy it there.
    Last edited by RoseBud68; 12-02-11 at 08:29 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    12-02-11 10:58 AM
    I live in the states and want to buy a friend of mine up in Toronto a blackberry so we can BBM. She is on Telus and her contract does not expire until summer. Right now she has some dinky phone neither android, BB or iOS, nor does she have a data plan. I'm looking to get her ANYTHING that will allow us to send messages to each other. I was thinking of a blackberry and give her a few months worth of money for data. What are my options as far as phones and costs. I will appreciate all your insight. Thank you.
    ~Mark
    Mark... Why don't you ask her to find out what her ETP would be from now to summer... How much for early termination and if you can afford it since you are helping out to stay in touch and can't blame you, Then look on Tellus, find what they have in BBs and buy a used one on ebay that you know the seller has cleaned meaning a clean released ESN.
    12-02-11 07:08 PM
    If your friend lives in Toronto and doesn't leave Toronto often you should look at Wind Mobile as mentioned above, she could get a txting / BBM plan for $25/month, (almost no minutes though)

You really should tell us how much you want to spend, and how many months till she can cancel her contract, there are a lot of options available AND depending how long she has had her telus account could also mean other things could be done
    12-02-11 07:36 PM
    You can get her unlocked Blackberry with Rogers Pre-paid sim.
    12-04-11 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD