So some of you will remember me and most new users will not. I spent a great deal of time on CB helping many users out and also taking some flak for sometimes being too harsh with words. It happens after years of answering the same questions that have been answered over and over, with those answers staring them in the face but because of laziness they start new threads asking anyway.

I've also had words with MODS on here because I speak my mind and I am not afraid to say what I think. I do not live in fear of these bias MODS who play favorites to their insignificant minions and trolls.

I posted a thread maybe 2 years ago explaining why I left Blackberry for Android and I am going to post again since Blackberry is on its way to the abyss to die.

As a bit of back-story, I had a long history with Blackberries, with the last 3 being the 8320, 8900 and lastly the 9700. All performed pretty much the way they were supposed to. They made calls [over Wi-Fi as well], they sent SMS and MMS messages as well as email. All as intended. But the apps that were available lacked core functionality and polish and the OS [even Beta OSes that were installed] was clunky and underwhelming. Sure, when you first install a new OS you hear all the fan-boys yapping in the forums about how 'snappy' and quick it is. And let's not forget when a Beta comes out, all the posts in the thread that say "downloading now". LMAO. Just too ridiculous.

OK, so back on track. I first got my hands on the original G1 so I could familiarize myself with the system layout and dynamics. It lacked serious polish as well but the open OS had lots of promise. The first big attraction is live widgets. If you've been stuck on a BB your whole life and haven't experienced live widgets then you're missing out. To have a clock and weather app actually display rain or sunshine or snow on your screen while you multitask and do other things is very nice. Some of you will start chiming in about how multitasking kills your battery or slows your device down. I will address that shortly but for now I will say one thing: WRONG!

There are so many things I can talk about. Like the poor screens and resolution on your beloved BB's. Try rocking a 3.8in screen with 800x400 resolution and a Super Amoled screen. I currently own an Original Nexus One and a MyTouch 4G. I will get into those shortly as well.

I want to talk about the OSes and the differences. With Blackberry, and either official or Beta OS releases; they are pretty much the same old vanilla BB OS. Sure you might get some small new option but in essence it's still the same. Now I don't wanna get in over anyone's head here so I will try and keep the tech terms to a minimum, but on Android, I can load my choice of over 100+ ROMs. Now a ROM for those who have no clue, is an OS. But where it differs is that each ROM offers so many unique things that are so different than the stock OS. Like the ability to theme the entire OS and every app installed. You can easily change things like icons and colors and styles at any time. Each ROM adds its own uniqueness and options. Having tried most I usually alternate between two well known ROMs [Cyanogenmod and MIUI]. They are each so different from each other. As an example, on MIUI, that ROM installs a different kernel which allows me to over-clock my stock 1Ghz. processor to 1.89Ghz. and at any given time I have about 425MB of free RAM. That's free RAM not used. That's with all my apps installed [roughly 100] and background tasks running as well. That leaves me with more free RAM than most Blackberries ship with. I also have complete control over what apps connect, how often and over what type of connection. My firewall [yes, a firewall on my phone], allows me to specify if an app can connect over 2G/3G and or Wi-Fi and to allow or block it. Huge battery saver. There are location aware apps that can turn any app or function on or off depending on where I am. So if I am at the house it will automatically turn Wi-Fi on and when I leave it can turn it off. Set your brightness automatically depending on the time of day, or volume depending on whatever criteria you setup. Augmented reality apps are great too. Like Google Goggles. I can take a picture of just about anything using Goggles and the phone will scan the image and automatically search Google for any info it can find on it. The list goes on and on so I will leave that there.

As far as hardware is concerned, Blackberries are now at the bottom of the barrel. My phone shipped with a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor and 768MB of RAM. It can literally wipe the floor with a Blackberry. Plus it runs on a 4G network, make Wi-Fi calls, uses 802.11n and does it without ever having to do battery pulls or pull teeth.

I look back now and have to laugh at how the battery pull solution is used so often in the BB world and to think I haven't had to pull the battery on over 6 Android devices now.

I am a tinkerer at heart so I am always doing things the average user will almost never do. Even when I had my BB's I was modding them. I had the first chrome Blackberry 9700 on here. Myself and ClintRo were the first to mod or 8900's with the all black housings. Our threads about how to MOD the BB's and change components were ongoing.

Now with Android I am over at XDA-Developers helping there and still learning. I am not a programmer but I run many different ROM's and kernels to test them and see which ones are great. With the right ROM and kernel I have managed to get 36 hours out of my Android. I run an under-volted kernel and usually run it under-clocked as well at around 1017Mhz. max, 245Mhz min. These kinds of options help make Android so much nicer to play with and the entire user experience is so far beyond a Blackberry.

I was never a Blackberry hater and I'm not now. But like anyone who follows innovation and demands a great product with great hardware, great software and great features; I can't ignore the ones pushing innovation and allowing devs to create truly great apps.

Now many of you will scoff at reading this, probably debate whether to flame me for posting some Android non-sense on a Blackberry forum and call me everything from Android fan-boy to traitor. To those who do I simply laugh at you and your outdated, worthless paperweight Blackberries that have such limited functionality that they could be considered a child's toy by today's standards. I mean, if I really wanted to make fun of Blackberry I would just mention the crappy Playbook commercial that uses Queen's 'Flash' soundtrack and is so horribly edited that it makes toddlers laugh.

Anyway, as son as this is posted I will take a screenshot as I almost certainly know it will be taken down/removed by the wonderful nazi MODS.

Hope some of you enjoyed reading. Peace.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-11-11 07:36 PM
    ummmmm........congrats lol? Don't really know what you are after by posting this. Even the BB loyalists know RIM needs to step up. There are down sides to all platforms. I think with os7 and 9930 the gap will close some but there is still work to be done no doubt!
    07-11-11 07:45 PM
    Android is awesome! I understand why people find that platform terrific... A HUGE choice of devices too.

But, it's the keyboard and messaging that draws me to BlackBerry.

I don't think I could enjoy the Android experience on a QWERTY device... so it's a 2 device world for me and I'm okay with that.
    07-11-11 07:58 PM
    Android is awesome! I understand why people find that platform terrific... A HUGE choice of devices too.

But, it's the keyboard and messaging that draws me to BlackBerry.

I don't think I could enjoy the Android experience on a QWERTY device... so it's a 2 device world for me and I'm okay with that.
    I use a keyboard called SmartKeyboard Pro which has autotext like the BB. But more than anything I use the voice recognition. I hardly ever use my fingers anymore. And Vlingo does voice recognition over bluetooth as well.

You have options.
    07-11-11 08:01 PM
    meh, isnt there a thread for people leaving BB somewhere else?
    jaydee5799 and andyahs like this.
    07-11-11 08:05 PM
    It happens after years of answering the same questions that have been answered over and over, with those answers staring them in the face but because of laziness they start new threads asking anyway.
    Yeah, the nazi mods feel your pain.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...t-here-260887/
    Fubaz, howarmat, carullo and 7 others like this.
    07-11-11 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD