A visionary. I start with that because Chen does not appear to be one. A good manager, even great perhaps....

That factor aside what BlackBerry needs is buzz. And buzz can begin with magazines.

Yes, magazines. Plain 'ol paper magazines.

I'm standing in Barnes & Noble and the tech section, with dozens of magazine titles, are primarily iphone and ipad titles.

There needs to be a BlackBerry title in there, something that walks someone through the power of the Hub, how pinching closed in the hub will reveal everything that is unread, stuff like that.

Posted via BB Classic via CB app
    Nikola Stojic likes this.
    02-27-16 03:05 PM
    I wonder what someone on the fence would think if a company stereotyped as living in the past pins their hopes on paper magazines.

On the other hand, it'd probably go well with the loyalist crowd, if it's in large type and with an AARP discount.
    02-27-16 03:11 PM
    Are you talking about the mass of iphone and ipad mags on the shelf?

Posted via BB Classic via CB app
    02-27-16 03:16 PM
    Pic
    02-27-16 03:21 PM
    Yes, magazines. Plain 'ol paper magazines.
    You mean campfire starter.

Z10 10.3.2.2639 via CB10
    02-27-16 05:42 PM
    This would have made sense 3 years ago, but that ship has sailed.
    02-28-16 07:03 AM
    I wonder what someone on the fence would think if a company stereotyped as living in the past pins their hopes on paper magazines.

On the other hand, it'd probably go well with the loyalist crowd, if it's in large type and with an AARP discount.
    There is a lot of truth with the AARP discount, I am 60 and most all of the younger crowd has never heard of Blackberry. Folks seem to forget that Apple was very clever to put their computers into most of the school systems here in the USA.

So, now that the majority of that crowd who are now the folks who are buying new devices, it was only natural for them to buy Apple products.

Blackberry on the other hand did just the opposite, they once had over 50% of the market here and all they had to do was deliver a newer updated product their loyal user base was asking for and they failed to do so. The rest is water over the bridge at this point.
    02-28-16 08:22 AM
    They need sales. Lots and lots of sales.
    pdizzle27 likes this.
    02-28-16 08:32 AM
    For whatever reason, there seems to have been a non-unified commitment to the success of the device division of BlackBerry, even before it's time.
    This was most evident to me when John Chen gave an interview introducing the New BlackBerry Priv, https://www.youtube.com/embed/ROB2jc...E4&PC=RIMBINGD
    and couldn't explain how the name was chosen, couldn't work the device properly , while in the same video reinforcing the shortcomings related to BlackBerry 10. I could almost taste a lack of commitment to the process.

I had that same feeling when recently venturing into a Verizon store hoping to find a BlackBerry device (any BlackBerry, because the other Business Partners like AT&T, rarely have them in stock ) . After asking, the sales rep went in a locked drawer under the display case and produced her last Classic.
    You'd think I'd be disappointed being that I had my heart set on a Passport, and knowing there was no Verizon variant .
    But the real issue was I had never had the opportunity to see a Classic first hand either. I never experienced how well constructed it felt in my hand over my Z10. How beautiful it was in comparison to the other devices in the store, even though it was months older. And then I thought " if this is the Classic, the PPSE must be off the chain!!. But where to find even an original Passport to hold?

But there's again is the problem , the lack of commitment of getting the product in the hands of the Consumer, the Buying Public. So they could experience what I just experienced, "That a BlackBerry in a picture, can't compare to a BlackBerry in the hand".

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KNEBB; 02-28-16 at 09:05 PM.
    02-28-16 10:01 AM
    BINGO!!! If I weren't in sales, I don't think this debacle would be so fascinating to watch. It's like watching an experiment of what would happen if a company had no sales and marketing department. It's actually pretty impressive that they've held on this long.
    02-28-16 11:13 AM