Seriously, just sitting here playing with this all but ancient and dead device and can't help but still be amazed and impressed with it.

Even today while there's certainly upgrades that could happen like a better camera, better SoC, USB-C...it's still, I feel, is the most innovative and best phone made. The screen is still a super useful aspect ratio, the 1440x1440 resolution is still "high-end", the stereo speakers while lacking in possibly volume over newer phones still sounds better, the keyboard is still the best ever and it's more accurate and better touch sensitivity over the Key2 makes me even more disappointed in how nonresponsive the Key2's really is.

It's like, it's such an amazing device that just needs a little tender love and care and Android instead of BB10 (though I still think it's an amazing OS) and we'd have the next Key3 or Passport 2 and it would be a success.

Again, I know it's just wishful thinking, definitely, but damn do I feel BlackBerry screwed up and letting this form factor die off was extremely dumb. Everyone I showed the device to loved it, I feel it got more media and people coverage and praise than any of their phones at the time or today...it's going to be missed and I don't think I'll ever look at another phone with such awe and admiration. Sucks.
    04-10-19 02:31 AM
    Seriously, just sitting here playing with this all but ancient and dead device and can't help but still be amazed and impressed with it.

Even today while there's certainly upgrades that could happen like a better camera, better SoC, USB-C...it's still, I feel, is the most innovative and best phone made. The screen is still a super useful aspect ratio, the 1440x1440 resolution is still "high-end", the stereo speakers while lacking in possibly volume over newer phones still sounds better, the keyboard is still the best ever and it's more accurate and better touch sensitivity over the Key2 makes me even more disappointed in how nonresponsive the Key2's really is.

It's like, it's such an amazing device that just needs a little tender love and care and Android instead of BB10 (though I still think it's an amazing OS) and we'd have the next Key3 or Passport 2 and it would be a success.

Again, I know it's just wishful thinking, definitely, but damn do I feel BlackBerry screwed up and letting this form factor die off was extremely dumb. Everyone I showed the device to loved it, I feel it got more media and people coverage and praise than any of their phones at the time or today...it's going to be missed and I don't think I'll ever look at another phone with such awe and admiration. Sucks.
    I agree with your thoughts on the passport. I have moved on to a new K2 and while it is a great phone I still miss the passport as it was a good sized device for me to use and a real head Turner. And not to forget the swipe up on the pkb just works each and every time on the passport compared with the K2. It's still kind of odd looking at the candy bar shape of the K2 but at least it fits all of my pockets.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-10-19 02:45 AM
    I just want better flow when viewing docs or PDFs.

the passport seemed to make reading those things pleasant.

I cringe when I need to read docs or PDFs on my KEY1/2LE

maybe there is a setting, but I remember those things being silky smooth on the passport.

maybe my eyes arent what they were 5 years ago too?
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-10-19 06:14 AM
    I miss my Passport sometimes but I don't think BlackBerry can be accused of "letting it" die off, it just did. It was a product of it's time. Even with android screen ratio issues aside it would have been a huge gamble to give it the suggested update treatment and push it out for a second time. I think the best we can hope for is that some things come back into fashion.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-10-19 08:49 AM
    I miss it. wish we still had the Passport, with oreo of course
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-10-19 02:05 PM
    I miss mine too. It took far more 'courage' to put out such a unique device than it did to remove the headphone jack from that other fruit's phones...
    the_boon and Andrew Poderis like this.
    04-10-19 04:45 PM
    Do you have substantial proof that a Key3 or Passport2 will be a success?

What do you consider a success? 10k units sold?
    04-10-19 05:18 PM

No.
    04-10-19 09:28 PM
    I have zero problems reading PDF(s) on my KEY² LE. I messed with the passport for a bit and couldn't get used to not having the number keys on my PKB. I use symbols and numbers all day throughout emails and texting and couldn't imagine having to use the touchscreen to do so.
    04-10-19 09:46 PM
    I miss mine too. It took far more 'courage' to put out such a unique device than it did to remove the headphone jack from that other fruit's phones...
    Spot on!

Removing features is not innovation lol

All jokes aside I really don't know if an Android PP 2 would be financially successful in the slightest, since the more conventionally sized KEY devices aren't selling millions per iteration it seems
    Sarek1701 likes this.
    04-11-19 04:45 PM
    I doubt TCL (blackberry mobile) will even do another 1:1 ratio screened device.
    Then again, there are other PDF clients (open source or free) available from the play store OR f-droid, which load it lightyears faster than adobe's solution.

If I have to scroll to see the rest of a document, etc. It's not going to bother me much.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    04-11-19 10:17 PM
    Spot on!

Removing features is not innovation lol

All jokes aside I really don't know if an Android PP 2 would be financially successful in the slightest, since the more conventionally sized KEY devices aren't selling millions per iteration it seems
    I REALLLLY hope that BBMo is looking at another KEY device, especially since things have been pretty quiet lately. As long as PKB phones exist they will always be my first choice. Although I have owned a Storm, a PRIV and both Z10 and Z30, BB to me has always meant having a keyboard ready to go. I can't stand the thought of moving to a slab. Plus my contract ends in two months, so I have to make a decision about BYOD or not soon...
    the_boon likes this.
    04-11-19 11:49 PM
    like the OP says, it will never happen, but it would be super sweet. the dead passport in my desk drawer is a beautiful device as is. I really miss the wide screen real estate. It would be happy on Android, but too bad it's only a 2-party world - that BB10 was a remarkable OS.
    04-12-19 09:53 AM
    yes please!
    04-12-19 12:21 PM
    I'm on the fence about a PP 2. Back when I used my PP regularly I missed the toolbelt and was annoyed about its size as it poked holes in too many of my pant pockets. Maybe I should have swapped to a Classic for comparison but ended up never getting one.
    Nevertheless the PP was an outstanding design build outstandingly tough. I would love to get such high quality device from BBMo in the near future. If that would be a PP2, I would fall for it, albeit my critics above.
    04-13-19 04:28 AM
    I'd be so freaking happy with a new BB10 style device (Z10 or Passport form factor) with an updated browser and just the OEM stock BlackBerry apps.

To keep things simple, no camera, GPS, or anything else extraneous.

I just want a great device for reading and writing professional correspondence. Most phones do a million things but suck at what I care about most.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    RCJ28 likes this.
    04-13-19 06:42 AM
    I just want a great device for reading and writing professional correspondence. Most phones do a million things but suck at what I care about most.
    This

Posted via Classic Immortal edition
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-13-19 05:31 PM
    aren't the new foldable smartphones basically a passport when they are opened up. imo
    04-20-19 01:10 PM
    It's funny - I didn't think that I missed the Passport until I read this thread. I use a K2, and although it's a pretty solid device, I think the Passport was still my favorite blackberry to date. Loved the size of it, and loved that EVERYONE asked what it was.
    04-23-19 04:55 PM
    04-23-19 05:08 PM
    So impressed you're still on Z10 man! Great device...and agree with OP here, miss daily use of my Passport. I will say, in retrospect, I certainly don't miss how heavy it is. That's it though, it is otherwise my favorite BB10 device by far.
    04-23-19 08:17 PM
    I'd like a new Passport. Was looking at the new Galaxy Fold online and thinking if it had a pkb and the BlackBerry label it would make a great successor to the Passport
    04-24-19 02:58 PM
    I'd like a new Passport. Was looking at the new Galaxy Fold online and thinking if it had a pkb and the BlackBerry label it would make a great successor to the Passport
    Which side of the fold would you put the space bar? Or, would you split the space bar.

And, sorry , but the permanent crease down the middle of the screen would bug the heck out me.
    04-24-19 03:22 PM
    Which side of the fold would you put the space bar? Or, would you split the space bar.
    They're having enough trouble with spacebars already

All jokes aside, splitting the spacebar into two would be super awkward.
    04-24-19 04:20 PM
    I literally just bought a new Passport after selling my mint condition Passport SE and regular Passport. I missed it so much!!!

My other phone is a KEY2.

I made a post on the last CrackBerry podcast saying that, "With these new folding phones being close to square when opened, why can't we do a new Passport (unfortunately Android)?

I miss working wide!

Posted via CB10
    04-30-19 11:45 AM
44 12