hahahah. This thread is hillarious! Don't take it seriously "old people" hahaha.
    When I was 11, I thought 16 was old. When I was 20, I thought 40 was old and 60 was ancient. Then I turned 40 and thought 80 was old. Today I am 65 (which I thought was ancient when I was 11) and have discovered-hey, it is still me whether 11 or 65! And ya, I am a techie! Most older folks I talk to don't want nor know how to use even a pc which is not to say it is bad-it is what it is. Still, this thread is really funny
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-25-11 06:48 AM
    hahahah. This thread is hillarious! Don't take it seriously "old people" hahaha.
    When I was 11, I thought 16 was old. When I was 20, I thought 40 was old and 60 was ancient. Then I turned 40 and thought 80 was old. Today I am 65 (which I thought was ancient when I was 11) and have discovered-hey, it is still me whether 11 or 65! And ya, I am a techie! Most older folks I talk to don't want nor know how to use even a pc which is not to say it is bad-it is what it is. Still, this thread is really funny
    That's cool, well put. I always think at a certain age my interest will suddenly change. Like, at 68, I'll forget how to use a cell phone and suddenly know how to knit.

But I guess it doesn't work that way. Lol. Slowly though, my interest do change. I'm less into cell phone tech and more concern with keeping in touch with family using my cell phone. Netflix on a phone is a novelty to me now. Things like that. What once was important have faded more into the background.

Now I'm thinking Android is for younger folk and geeks who like to tinker and load ROMs and care about speed and specs. . BlackBerry is for mid life when you're busy and want to get things done and stay in touch too. And iPhone is a good retirement device, when you just want life simple and quiet.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-25-11 at 06:59 AM.
    10-25-11 06:55 AM
    Age is irrelevant. I'm 50 (old in some eyes, young in others) and I'm always showing all the "young" people at work how to use their smartphones. I work in healthcare and I can tell you that people are living longer, thanks to modern medications and technology, and are more active, both mentally and physically, than ever before. It still comes down to what platform works best for you, whether you are 16 or 61.
    10-25-11 07:53 AM
    WTF? What is all this yap about not being able to read a bb screen and needing big text? Do any of you know how to increase the font size on your bb?
    Those who think "old" people, and I don't give a rats a __ about politically correct horsesh__, can't use tech or won't learn it are destined to be fooled by old people every day. They are the people who built up this planet and have done so much to accept new tech back in the day. You young people think you invented everything. /rant

It is all choice, give them pluses and minuses for each device and let them decide, they didn't make it to being old by being stupid!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    homer1475 and maddie1128 like this.
    10-25-11 08:03 AM
    I encouraged my 56 year old mother to go with BlackBerry. And while she does like her Torch, she finds it hard to type on (keys are too stiff) and a little confusing, which it can be with all the BlackBerry menus and set up options and whatnot. It took her awhile to learn how to "get around" her device. An iPhone might have been a better choice (it's very simple to navigate without a lot of confusion), but at the time I had the Torch and really enjoyed it.
    10-25-11 08:17 AM
    I convinced one person and failed with my mother. Mother's been an endless source of grief since
    10-25-11 08:25 AM
    Older people would do best with the BB Bold 9900 for big keys and talking on the phone and the Playbook for ease of use (Ex. swiping action is much better when dealing with arthritis) and large screen web browsing.

One data plan is best for older people on a budget.
    10-25-11 10:04 AM
    For making phone calls, the buttons on an Android or iPhone are way bigger than a 9930.

I don't know anyone over 58 that uses their phone internet either. I'm sure they do, just I haven't seen it.

My parents are getting an iPad 2 this xmas. They haven't updated their giant PC since 1995. I'm excited for them.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-25-11 at 10:35 AM.
    rdkempt likes this.
    10-25-11 10:18 AM
    Most of the "old people" I know [50+] (most of whom are small to medium sized business owners) like the big screens and the huge buttons to dial numbers on. I find that a silly reason to like the big screens but that's what they like, that and the zooming since they all claim to have bad eyes. (I hope I never get that old. lol.)
    I thought the same thing. wait my friend, wait. Presbyopia is a real SOB.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-25-11 10:32 AM
    I never recommend Android to the retiree set unless I deduce they are tech savvy from asking the right questions. If someone comes in asking for a phone that's easy to use and see, I ask about texting and email, if they say texting/email is important I usually say Torch or iPhone. I have seen one too many android phones sold to an older client for the commission that were returned due to frustration.

That being said, I sell more iPhone than BB to older people. The crowd coming in for BB are the teen/college set for BBM and texting, or professionals that need to upgrade their existing BB because of work requirement (and sadly most aren't happy about it as they want to try android or iPhone).

In a real life example my mom went iPhone 4 and sold her Torch due to screen size. She had cataract surgery and the Torch screen was too hard for her to see clearly. She is much happier with the retina display.
    10-25-11 10:42 AM
    That being said, I sell more iPhone than BB to older people. The crowd coming in for BB are the teen/college set for BBM and texting, or professionals that need to upgrade their existing BB because of work requirement (and sadly most aren't happy about it as they want to try android or iPhone).

In a real life example my mom went iPhone 4 and sold her Torch due to screen size. She had cataract surgery and the Torch screen was too hard for her to see clearly. She is much happier with the retina display.
    My parents would not pay for any kind of smartphone. I have been trying to persuade my father to dump all his half working Windows machines and just get an iPad though.
    10-25-11 12:37 PM
    If the Torch screen is too small then so is the iPhone.

in my experience older people are less experienced when choosing a phone and they either have condescending iPhone using children or simply jump on the iPhone bandwagon, victims of simple ignorance.

Older people should be buying BlackBerry. They deserve the best product, the one that best meets their needs.
    10-25-11 02:03 PM
    My parents, in their 70s, don't have cell phones - waste of money, they say. When they travel they put some money on Onstar. But dad has a sweeter pc than me, and he's on Facebook. smh
    10-25-11 02:10 PM
    If the Torch screen is too small then so is the iPhone.

in my experience older people are less experienced when choosing a phone and they either have condescending iPhone using children or simply jump on the iPhone bandwagon, victims of simple ignorance.

Older people should be buying BlackBerry. They deserve the best product, the one that best meets their needs.
    Wow, you never considered that maybe an iPhone meets their needs? Sorry, but BlackBerry is not the be-all-end-all of phones for every person.
    john_v likes this.
    10-25-11 02:15 PM
    BlackBerry is the best for texting, emailing, internet browsing, and phoning - that's what they use. And when it's paired with the playbook...
    10-25-11 05:21 PM
    LOL, I thought the term was "adult"
    That would mean 18 year olds qualify as "old people". I think people are generally considered old when they become Senior Citizens, but I still do not consider people old until they they are 65+ and even then isn't bad. I know some 60 year olds that are still built like tanks.
    10-25-11 05:33 PM
    For making phone calls, the buttons on an Android or iPhone are way bigger than a 9930.

I don't know anyone over 58 that uses their phone internet either. I'm sure they do, just I haven't seen it.

My parents are getting an iPad 2 this xmas. They haven't updated their giant PC since 1995. I'm excited for them.

Make sure you let them try-out the playbook as they look-at the iPad. They might find the playbook to be easier to use. For example, if for some reason an app is not running properly (panic), closing it is simple - a couple of swipes

The iPad is heavier than the playbook. Your parents would appreciate holding-on to a lighter product, especially when reading in bed.

And it's wrong for 50+ people to stop using desk-top computers to rely on the iPad for their computer needs; they should have large screens. The playbook is the best in-between product, between the smartphone and desktop.
    10-25-11 05:38 PM
    They are getting an iPad for sure. They like way Apple operates. I wouldn't get the PlayBook at this point. My dad will be using it for his business actually. Probably not reading in bed.
    10-25-11 06:56 PM
    Make sure you let them try-out the playbook as they look-at the iPad. They might find the playbook to be easier to use. For example, if for some reason an app is not running properly (panic), closing it is simple - a couple of swipes

The iPad is heavier than the playbook. Your parents would appreciate holding-on to a lighter product, especially when reading in bed.

And it's wrong for 50+ people to stop using desk-top computers to rely on the iPad for their computer needs; they should have large screens. The playbook is the best in-between product, between the smartphone and desktop.
    50+ isn't old and its wrong to encourage old people to use desktop computers if all they ever do is read email, surf the web and maybe FaceTime.

And I would never recommend a Playbook to anyone. It doesn't even have native email.
    rdkempt likes this.
    10-25-11 08:03 PM
    W
    BlackBerry is the best for texting, emailing, internet browsing, and phoning - that's what they use. And when it's paired with the playbook...
    My mother had a Curve, then a Torch, which she used for a year. After the surgery she began having issues with the screen. She borrowed my iPod Touch to try the screen after trying to live with the Torch for 4 months, and found that the screen was clearer and far easier to see.

She has now paired her iPhone 4 with an iPad 2 to skype with my sister who is in Pakistan on placement and is quite happy. And can see. I would have rathered she got a new laptop but it's her choice.

Don't presume to speak for my mother, and how the screen worked for her. The Torch 1 screen was no where NEAR as clear and crisp as the retina display. I'm nearsighted and *I* had issues with it.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 10-26-11 at 06:46 AM.
    moiselles likes this.
    10-25-11 09:09 PM
    In a way I can see your point. A lot of the fear that "old people" as you put it are afraid of letting their brain go to mush. I think the BB in a way may provide more "exercise" for their brain, iPhones tend to not provide that as there is only ONE way of doing things. There are no Menus to speak off, so hmmm yeah maybe. Either way I guess when I was 16 I was "old people" today I am me at 43.

Guess once I f4rt dust I'll now I'm old.
    10-25-11 09:29 PM
    I am an almost antique from the age prior to desktop computers, the age of longhand writing(cursive), rotary dial phones and party lines, crt televisions with black and pictures, etc.. I enjoy my only RIM product, the Playbook. I take the timeout to show my curious friends the swipe motions and demonstrate the couple of apps that I use.I get alot of favorable commentary about its ease of use. I use it like a reader at fellowship, the only person with an electronic bible reader- they like how I can adjust print size for reading and the portable size of the device. Pictures of the family also get favorable comments due to the clarity of screen. Someday I may get a BB cell phone, once the kids get out of college . I purposefully flaunt the Playbook at McD.'s and read the news sipping on my coffee. My hope is to generate some good advertisement. There is no better endorsement than seeing someone use a product. Enjoyed reading the thread.
    10-25-11 09:59 PM
    "Convince" people without personal attacks!
    10-26-11 07:53 AM

Really? Do you actually believe what your are writing. What if they want to watch a Netflix movie on the PlayToy? What if they want to check their email? What if....oh never mind......
    10-26-11 08:01 AM
    Really? Do you actually believe what your are writing. What if they want to watch a Netflix movie on the PlayToy? What if they want to check their email? What if....oh never mind......
    I'd tell them to use their browser for email just like they do on their laptop. I don't know anyone that uses netflix anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 08:03 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD