The thrush is that I'm laying my honest opinions out on the table. I prefer BB, but I'm posting this from my iPad (use my PB ore, but typing this much on it is annoying). Anyways, I am a tech guy and lots of older people I know ask my opinion on tech stuff. I'm the "free" advice guy that knows what he is talking about. Amyways, this is how I go about it.....

I say both are great devices, but it really depends on what you do. I say if you wanna play games and use apps all the time, go iPhone. However, if you want to have a great keyboard and you use your phone mostly for texting and email with a little web browsing and some app use, then the BB is for you.

Every time this convinces these people that they want a BlackBerry. I obviously like when BB does well, but I don't really try to push one over the other, but they always go BB when I explain it's that way.
    10-24-11 06:30 PM
    The older people I know prefer the iPhone because of its simplicity and large. That's my mom, dad, grandma and two aunts.

I tried to get my mom on a BlackBerry but it was too tiny.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-11 06:50 PM
    well,,,,,,,,,,,,, as an old person I certainly appreciate it.
    Gosh, when are we going to see some magnified screens, I bet that would help us decide which is best for us.
    10-24-11 06:55 PM
    I think the term old people is socially incorrect. The proper terminology is that they're people who's youth is challenged.
    mithrazor, graxyq and mud314 like this.
    10-24-11 07:00 PM
    I think the term old people is socially incorrect. The proper terminology is that they're people who's youth is challenged.

LOL, I thought the term was "adult"
    10-24-11 07:02 PM
    Depends on your age. Old to me is gone. At 16, 30 wwas old. Adult is a state of mind.
    10-24-11 07:05 PM
    mum & dad got iphone 4,just got my mum to get a blackberry for her next contract upgrade
    but the father wont budge
    10-24-11 07:05 PM
    Our parents should listen to us more!
    10-24-11 07:06 PM
    Our parents should listen to us more!
    LOL, yeah, I think at some point in time they probably said the same thing about you,,,,,,,,,
    10-24-11 07:09 PM
    Most of the "old people" I know [50+] (most of whom are small to medium sized business owners) like the big screens and the huge buttons to dial numbers on. I find that a silly reason to like the big screens but that's what they like, that and the zooming since they all claim to have bad eyes. (I hope I never get that old. lol.)
    10-24-11 08:13 PM
    Ok this is off topic but am I the only one offended by response #7 JR2010's avatar? I mean there are kids that can come to this site. Mods?
    10-24-11 11:05 PM
    LOL, I thought the term was "adult"
    Lol oh yeah I like the way you think ! For the record the youngest person in my house has the Iphone 4 in white (my daughter) and the oldest in the house has always had a Blackberry ... that would be me.
    10-24-11 11:59 PM
    Yes. There is a strange trend I have noticed about the foot traffic where I work. Lots of the older customers seem to get BlackBerrys as their first smart phone. Seems they just want email and texts. And if you are not interested in web browsing (older users are not), BB is awesome. (Though I think the browsing on OS7 is fine; talking about the long time perceptions that still hold sway).
    10-25-11 12:17 AM
    I Would Never .. Ever Tell old people to take Blackberry no matter what :P
    if you guys don't know .. old people here don't know how to use PCs and don't know what Facebook is even =P
    10-25-11 04:58 AM
    if you guys don't know .. old people here don't know how to use PCs and don't know what Facebook is even =P
    What's the point ? OS7 // W7 ???
    And they're fine without Playbook, their friends are not bits
    Oh, maybe they care a little about their privacy too ... europe-v-facebook.org | EUROPE versus FACEBOOK

They have needs and envy, but are less permeable/exposed to trends and adds ...
    10-25-11 05:07 AM
    I would suggest mango for old people easy to use also aand the fonts are big so they can see well

10-25-11 05:48 AM
    OK, define old.
    10-25-11 05:52 AM
    OK, define old.
    Old is:
    "Your brother made one of those Facebooking accounts for me."

"How do I dial a number on this thing? I can't see the buttons. Let me get my glasses."

"Siri is creepy."

That's how I define old. But really, it's not old it is just they didn't grow up with computers and cell phones. My mom got her first cell phone last week. Those quotes are from her. She's not old though, because she is willing to learn and adapt. That is what keeps you young.

She did say she liked my Android because the screen was huge.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-25-11 at 06:05 AM.
    10-25-11 06:03 AM
    I was in line behind an "old" gentleman in the store the other day. He had just bought an Android phone and the sales person was helping to set it up for him.

I didn't listen in on the whole conversation but couldn't help but hear some bits and pieces.

He didn't know what a Gmail account was or what it was used for.

Couldn't think of anything to use as a password.

There was more that I didn't catch.

My thought was "this isn't going to work out well for him"

I wouldn't be surprised if the phone got exchanged for a "dumb" phone after a week.

10-25-11 06:17 AM
    This thread is very funny. In my experience, stereotypes based on age or gender are typically wrong. Most young people here don't know how to write PlayBook apps but I don't hold it against you. I'll be 63 next week. As a birthday present, I invite you to tell me how much you like your BlackBerry and my app - on my app's new Facebook page.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-25-11 06:29 AM
    I'd be interested to see a shred of evidence to back up these claims...
    10-25-11 06:35 AM
    I was in line behind an "old" gentleman in the store the other day. He had just bought an Android phone and the sales person was helping to set it up for him.

I didn't listen in on the whole conversation but couldn't help but hear some bits and pieces.

He didn't know what a Gmail account was or what it was used for.

Couldn't think of anything to use as a password.

There was more that I didn't catch.

My thought was "this isn't going to work out well for him"

I wouldn't be surprised if the phone got exchanged for a "dumb" phone after a week.

You'd be surprised. My grandpa is 81 and a quick study! He can't think of passwords or the word he wants to say quickly, but he gets the job done. He knows every Jeopardy answer and I'm sure could figure out an Android. Ot depends on the person, not so much the age.
    10-25-11 06:39 AM
    I almost always encourage non tech, non business older people to go iPhone. It's much easier for them to learn. my mom loves hers, she woulda never figured out a bb in a million years.

10-25-11 06:41 AM
    I'd be interested to see a shred of evidence to back up these claims...
    Yeah, that's not a truthful statement. Like I said, my 81 year old grandpa set up his facebook. Not that he cares about it. Us grandkids made him. Ha.

My husband doesn't even know how to work a PC.

A lot of times it is about choice. Do I care enough to learn about Facebook? My mom doesn't. She could, but has zero interest.
    10-25-11 06:41 AM
    I almost always encourage non tech, non business older people to go iPhone. It's much easier for them to learn. my mom loves hers, she woulda never figured out a bb in a million years.

Never in a million years did I think my mom would have a cell phone, let alone use it to text. Since the iPhone my parents shared, she started calling and texting. Now she has her own and she loves it! It was so easy for them to learn, and big screen.

I'm really thankful for the iPhone ease of use. My mom doesn't use a computer, email etc. She got her first email address last week when she got her iPhone.
    10-25-11 06:44 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD