Looking back further, RIM is basically the new Palm - beloved but outdated older product, innovative but green new OS that doesn't really solve any problems with existing smartphones, hopes hung on a comeback device. RIM looks better in certain aspects of the comparison (assuming BB10 devices launch, it'll be on multiple carriers and not just Sprint; RIM has what basically amounts to a side business of selling messaging phones in emerging markets), but Palm did in others (the iPhone was only available on AT&T when WebOS launched, and Android barely existed and certainly wasn't yet a big success).
    I think RIM and Palm might look like a similar case if not properly analyzed because they are vastly different on scale. Palm was a tiny player where as RIM is a very large player even to this day.

When Palm was faltering, RIM was growing at a furious pace, and even today RIM's sales dwarf what Palm ever sold. RIM is projected to sell 35-40 million phones this year which is 1400-1600% of Palm's best year in 2008.

The main issue with RIM is that they have not been keeping pace with the growth in the smartphone industry and most of their sales are on the lower end thus their revenue and earnings have suffered. BB10 is supposed to stop the bleeding and turn them into a direction where they can begin growing and regaining market share they lost in the US, and hold and grow market share in emerging markets like Latin America, Africa, Asia, Canada, UK and wherever else BB still has a good foothold.

Blackberry has a much much better chance than Palm ever did. Like 1400% more of a chance.
    Last edited by gwanstarr; 09-18-12 at 01:06 PM.
    Thunderbuck, esk369 and Mister-E like this.
    09-18-12 12:58 PM
    The average smartphone user only sees the best and most trendy phone available.
    That's how they can save themselves right there. Bring out the best phone. The trends will follow. Lot's of iPhone users want the 5 to set themselves apart from the 4 and 4S crowd. Once 60 million people have it, how special does it look? Then what do you do? Trendsetters don't follow the crowd, they create the new trend...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-18-12 01:16 PM
    Yup even the few remaining RIM users are jumping ship, mostly to the iPhone 5. There just isn't ANY reason whatsoever to wait for BB10 at this point, unless you REALLY need a keyboard. Otherwise - Google and Apple are simply doing it bigger and better right now, and most of RIM's disillusioned user base will flock towards a more complete, well established product with a bigger ecosystem.
    balding1 likes this.
    09-18-12 01:24 PM
    Well, like I said, RIM has advantages that Palm didn't. However, RIM's relative size isn't much of a help when the market its introducing a new OS into is much more mature and hostile than the one Palm entered. It's true that RIM won't be constrained in certain ways that Palm was. I think the comparison is useful.
    09-18-12 01:28 PM
    Well, like I said, RIM has advantages that Palm didn't. However, RIM's relative size isn't much of a help when the market its introducing a new OS into is much more mature and hostile than the one Palm entered. It's true that RIM won't be constrained in certain ways that Palm was. I think the comparison is useful.
    Just because it's a "more" mature smartphone market now doesn't mean the market itself has reached maturity. There's still plenty of time for things to happen here.

Pose you a question: If RIM could introduce a phone with competitive performance and capabilities, and could offer, say, 80% of the top 300 apps in Apple's portfolio, don't you think they'd attract some attention?
    esk369 likes this.
    09-18-12 01:31 PM
    Yup even the few remaining RIM users are jumping ship, mostly to the iPhone 5. There just isn't ANY reason whatsoever to wait for BB10 at this point, unless you REALLY need a keyboard. Otherwise - Google and Apple are simply doing it bigger and better right now, and most of RIM's disillusioned user base will flock towards a more complete, well established product with a bigger ecosystem.
    Just curios doc will you be switching?
    And if so why?
    Not trying to be a wise guy just as I said out of curiosity.
    09-18-12 01:36 PM
    So what you're saying is that my informed choice is in fact not informed at all and rather it's completely based on a delusional fantasy?
    esk369 likes this.
    09-18-12 01:44 PM
    I agree with the OP. its going to be difficult to win people back. People are always asking me when am i going to get rid of my BB. unfortunately people are following fashion when it comes to phones now. I still have faith in BB10. I will only pre-order one after i see that it is getting dev support and which apps it will feature. I dont want to buy a phone under contract for 2 years and have it lack apps. By apps, im not just talking about these silly games iphone/androids have but i mean like bank apps and other productive apps.
    anon(4166778) likes this.
    09-18-12 02:05 PM
    So what you're saying is that my informed choice is in fact not informed at all and rather it's completely based on a delusional fantasy?
    Apparently Doc Z speaks on all our behalf. I thank him for saving me the trouble of thinking and making decisions for myself.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-18-12 02:09 PM
    This is an example of what I'm talking about as far as losing BB users and not being able to get them back and also gaining new users. It's just tough to see a bright future for RIM when they have the reputation they have. Here is a screenshot of one of the 5 BBM contacts I still have after already losing a bunch of them.. I just think BB10 needs to be incredible in order for people even to consider BlackBerry..

Hence the personal message.
    Last edited by pkcable; 09-18-12 at 02:42 PM. Reason: PIN & Username redacted
    09-18-12 02:24 PM
    If bb10 had better specs and carried all the same apps the common shopper still wouldn't consider a BB phone cause they've been brainwashed. It's going to take a miracle worker to change the brand and dumping money into it is not the solution. MSFT proved that with Bing.

I truly believe the sales reps in all the carriers are the key. Give them some incentive to sell BB10 phones. They are the most direct path in getting RIM's message across and can be effective in doing so if they are motived.
    09-18-12 02:25 PM
    I truly believe the sales reps in all the carriers are the key. Give them some incentive to sell BB10 phones. They are the most direct path in getting RIM's message across and can be effective in doing so if they are motived.
    This, let's face it, I don't think a lot of people buying phones do a lot of research. A lot of the time a person will purchase what the sales person pitches to them, be that an iPhone, Android, WP, or BB, although almost never does a sales person recommend BB, as it is not the "it/hip/cool" product on the market today. If RIM can make BB10 the "it" product, and get carriers to instruct the sales people to pitch BB, they will have a shot then.
    09-18-12 02:33 PM
    Sure, let's go with that. The level of hostility on this site coupled with the deranged obsession with a dying platform is seriously disgusting.

Pick whatever OS you want. I said MOST of the RIMs users will be leaving, which is true. The crackberry folks will remain all over RIMs nuts.
    09-18-12 02:39 PM
    This is an example of what I'm talking about as far as losing BB users and not being able to get them back and also gaining new users. It's just tough to see a bright future for RIM when they have the reputation they have. Here is a screenshot of one of the 5 BBM contacts I still have after already losing a bunch of them.. I just think BB10 needs to be incredible in order for people even to consider BlackBerry..

Click to view quoted image

Hence the personal message.
    That's just pathetic on many levels.
    Really blame a phone for messing up a persons life then person needs to get a life.
    09-18-12 02:44 PM
    Rather than give out a bunch of trolling infractions lets just..........

09-18-12 02:46 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD