Is it me or does everything in the smartphone war come back to the size of the companies app world?

I don't get it. Why does having more apps equal to a better SMARTPHONE?

Had an android, downloaded the same apps I have on a bb.

Don't get it!

Surely its about a few simple things;

Reliability (battery, signal)
    Size (form factor to suit)
    Speed of use (multitasking, quick responses)
    Notifications (LED or similar)

Am I wrong in thinking the smartphone war should be about the phones not the abundance, or in some cases lack of, apps?

I just don't get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-11 05:30 PM
    It comes down to marketing, and Apple has done a much better job of that than RIM.
    09-29-11 05:41 PM
    Apps have made my smartphone much easier to access things quicker more efficient. It also has made my phone more robust in how the software runs, such as different launchers and general look. So yes, I think apps play a big part in not only smartphones, but tablets as well.

Ask the early adapters of the Playbook about that, lol!

I used to be like you awhile ago and then I got an Android phone with their awesome market. BB I didn't care so much as there wasn't a lot to chose from.

And you may have the same apps for you on your iPhone and or Android because that is you. Me I have over 40 apps and use quite a few of them on the daily. My BB at most had 20 and used maybe 5 of them daily.

I guess in the end different strokes fro different folks.

09-29-11 06:16 PM
    No matter what company, be it Apple, RIM, Google, MS, they can't be everything to everyone. They can try, but they can't make everything on the phone perfect. Third parties can dedicate their resources to optimizing particular things or add functionality, which is why apps come in so handy.

Look at RIM - I think Quickpull should have been standard issue on Storm 2's.

That said, the more apps, the more choices. The more choices, hopefully the better the apps get. It's a big draw for smartphones these days because people expect them to be so much more than just a phone.

09-29-11 09:18 PM
    Apps have made my smartphone much easier to access things quicker more efficient. It also has made my phone more robust in how the software runs, such as different launchers and general look. So yes, I think apps play a big part in not only smartphones, but tablets as well.

Ask the early adapters of the Playbook about that, lol!

I used to be like you awhile ago and then I got an Android phone with their awesome market. BB I didn't care so much as there wasn't a lot to chose from.

And you may have the same apps for you on your iPhone and or Android because that is you. Me I have over 40 apps and use quite a few of them on the daily. My BB at most had 20 and used maybe 5 of them daily.

I guess in the end different strokes fro different folks.

M
    I have made "the switch" too! I wanted the new torch touch myself, but knew there would be no app support for it either. I am a consumer user, and apps media and a good browser list high on my "smartphone hierarchy ". Than to top it off they made the touch w plastic screen? That sealed it!!! Apps do matter as you stated. I don't have hundreds either, but the ones I have I use and use often. Espn fantasy football app is great for instance . I can change my lineup or talk smack to my league w/o going and logging in on pc or phone browser. Speaking of which this browser is darn near pc grade. The reason I replied to ur post specifically bttm is, I like you enjoyed my bb . I also have had my eyes opened like you and its awesome. Its kinda like an identity crisis though isn't it? Defending a phone so long and learning maybe u were wrong? Anyway to the op apps do matter to people and do make the end user experience much better. If you switched w an opened mind you would agree too!

Last edited by Mr One 2; 09-30-11 at 12:17 AM.
    09-30-11 12:14 AM
    Apps can make or break a platform, that's why Android and iOS are so successful.
    09-30-11 01:36 AM
    I think apps substitute and mask the weaknesses of smartphones into making them run more efficiently like larger computers.

Certain apps are essential to any smartphone- social networking apps, weather apps, music apps, news apps, photo apps, etc. Also dedicated apps for popular websites like Youtube. All the major platforms got those.

You could browse sites on a smartphone for those things, but it may not fit the small screen right unless you zoom in just right. Apps are great for phones to make everything fit into place.

But I think the American consumer has become obsessed with impractical apps that they may use once just to show "Look what my phone can do!". I mean front facing cameras, 3D picture/video, farting apps, battery/data draining Netflix on a tiny screen, games that couldn't hold a candle to 1989 Game Boy games, repeating voice apps, etc.

If you really think about it, there are a few apps you will use almost every day and the rest are kinda useless...
    09-30-11 01:57 AM
    It all comes down to marketing. Marketing of the phone itself, the phones features or the apps.
    09-30-11 03:20 AM
    its up to the user. i have a bb 9780 and i have every app i need for everday life. believe me apps are overrated. its something apple has done a good job of marketing and making people believe its what makes a "PHONE". my blackberry gives me efficency that the android and windows phone i had couldn't.
    09-30-11 03:35 AM
    The apps on android and apple always look better because of screen size. They also work different than on a BB in some cases. Side by side there is no comparison between BB and android two totally different devices. The android is faster and more responsive no spinning clock!BB has the physical keyboard which is one of the major reasons people choose BB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-30-11 06:54 AM
    Part of what I liked when I switched to Android in the summer was the ease of finding and installing apps on my phone. App World was slow and asked me for login information every single time I downloaded something. My Google ID is universal in that universe and it works almost seamlessly.

I don't need 425,000 apps, but I do want those I use to be available and be high quality. Probably the 50,000 apps in the Windows Phone App Store would do me just fine. Maybe App World has improved and there are more choices. I am not sure. I do know that apps for the iPhone or Android devices just seems to work across multiple phones, OS's, etc and are easy to get at and install. I did not have the same BB experience.

I think Apps are important for a large portion of people on their smartphone, and I think that goes 4x for tablets. Apps for tablets bridge the PC gap more effectively. Apps for both mean functionality and the chance if you want to do something, someone has written an app to do it. "There's an app for that" was brilliant but also to the point.
    09-30-11 07:28 AM
    What I find funny is that over the past 6 months, I have boughten a few phones off of craigslist with intetions of flipping them. I have boughten an iPhone RGS, an i4 and two Motorola Atrix's. All 4 times, I used the device for the few days I have had the phone (from the time I purchased them till the time I resold them). Each time I liked the phone enough to unlist it on eBay.

However, each time, within a day or two, I missed my 9800 and I'm still using it to this day. I don't know what it is but I can't get away from BlackBerry. I refreshed my device with a nice OS7 theme and added some key apps like the must have BeBuzz and ScoreMobile. I can't get away from my BB. My battery life, physical keyboard and the overall simplicity of BBOS is what keeps me coming back. I also like the colorway of the operating system. Both Android and iOS are to bulky and the bright whiteish gray colorway on the iPhone is ugly.

The only real advantage for those phones are the applications... But now that BB is improving their apps, the gap is closing.

BlackBerry 4 Lyfe

09-30-11 08:20 AM
    There are things I miss from my BB for sure. I am about to switch to an iPhone when available, and I am sure I will miss things about my Droid also. They all have their strengths.
    09-30-11 08:37 AM
    Not everybody gets it. Just read reviews from reputable websites, try the devices out in store even if you need to make a few visits, then deside and go with what you like. Read the pros and cons.

09-30-11 06:10 PM
    Is it me or does everything in the smartphone war come back to the size of the companies app world?

I don't get it. Why does having more apps equal to a better SMARTPHONE?

Had an android, downloaded the same apps I have on a bb.

Don't get it!

Surely its about a few simple things;

Reliability (battery, signal)
    Size (form factor to suit)
    Speed of use (multitasking, quick responses)
    Notifications (LED or similar)

Am I wrong in thinking the smartphone war should be about the phones not the abundance, or in some cases lack of, apps?

I just don't get it.

what don't you get exactly? apps add functionality to the device, my andriod phone gets 24+ hours of battery, fits in my pocket nicely, extremely fast, has led notifications and a huge app selection.
    -free navigation
    -flash video
    -ability to remotely control pc
    -download torrents
    -stream my 200gb music library

apps make your device a lot more functional, it's not about numbers, it's about options.
    09-30-11 07:58 PM
    I hate to say it, gymwarner, but it is exactly this kind of thinking/leadership that has put RIM in it's current position within the market (among others).

They tried to transition an enterprise solution into the consumer market (and did so successfully for some time!) but failed to recognize competition and the trend towards a more 'relaxed' atmosphere in many work environments, allowing more freedom of choice.

Even Kevin expressed this train of thought in one of the recent podcasts when he said something along the lines of: but who wouldn't want a Bold 9900?! It has a touch screen and the best keyboard

All that said, I do agree with the marketing issues pointed out by others. Apple is amazing when it comes to advertising and it shows how they are able to offer products with glaring problems (e.g., notification system within iOS up until iOS5) but still drive enormous consumer demand. Just look at their word usage:
    09-30-11 08:24 PM
    a similar question can be asked why Microsoft Windows is the 'better' OS when Linux has it beat on stability and security as well as Linux being FREE. all due to marketing that is all i can say. all i know is i don't want RIM going the way of Laser Disc and Betamax
    10-01-11 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD