So older OS users can give back their phones and get a rebate on a new BB10 phone. Because as it's been said, the idea is to convert the faithful RIM needs to implement things like these to get people on the boat. Then focus on converting Android users.
    BB10 trade up program? Good or bad idea
    How would carriers handle it...?
    05-20-12 11:43 AM
    like this?
    https://tradeup.blackberry.com/en/ca/web/home.html
    05-20-12 11:46 AM
    I don't know that i'd trade in my 9900...but i'm in the fortunate position of not answering to anyone as to how i spend my money, so i'll probably just buy a bb10 off contract..please don't tell my wife
    05-20-12 11:46 AM
    yes extended to BB10 phones however.

i traded by curve 8520 for *some money toward my 9900 which made buying a Playbook along side a no brainier.
    05-20-12 11:48 AM
    I think it would be a good idea. They need to offer more than what they do now though.
    05-20-12 11:48 AM
    The problem with the Trade in Programs is that even with trade in the price is out of range for most of the people who want a trade int.

the trade in value on a used year old phone would be max $200 and you'd have to buy the replacement phone at full retail so like $600,

$400 for the phone is out of reach for so many of the Smartphone users
    and me personally I'll buy the device for $600 just to keep my backup phone
    05-20-12 11:49 AM
    I think perhaps this may be a location issue as well. In America where the phones are subsidizes out the a$$ these programs can be real incentives. I can't tell you the number of friends I have with iPhones and Androids (but still have their good ole reliable BB laying around somewhere). BB 10 needs as many incentives as possible IMO or it will follow OS7.

Then again I feel like RIM needs to focus on it's strengths (enterprise). Whilst everyone on these forums wants it to well in the consumer space. The Playbook, name and all really have helped the consumers change their minds about RIM. There are so many people who wouldn't be rooting for RIM without the Playbook being the great device it is. Sure the Playbook didn't have the some of the "wow" factor, but it did something else. It proved to us RIM can still compete in their own fashion, albeit they're running out of time to do so.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    05-20-12 12:05 PM
    I think perhaps this may be a location issue as well. In America where the phones are subsidizes out the a$$ these programs can be real incentives. I can't tell you the number of friends I have with iPhones and Androids (but still have their good ole reliable BB laying around somewhere). BB 10 needs as many incentives as possible IMO or it will follow OS7.

Then again I feel like RIM needs to focus on it's strengths (enterprise). Whilst everyone on these forums wants it to well in the consumer space. The Playbook, name and all really have helped the consumers change their minds about RIM. There are so many people who wouldn't be rooting for RIM without the Playbook being the great device it is. Sure the Playbook didn't have the some of the "wow" factor, but it did something else. It proved to us RIM can still compete in their own fashion, albeit they're running out of time to do so.
    You can't expect RIM to subsidize a presubsidized phone they'd only do so on full retail pricing
    05-20-12 12:36 PM
    I can't expect them to do that... But they have been for the past year if not longer?
    https://tradeup.blackberry.com/en/us/web/faq.html

So I'm confused as to what you're saying then. I bought my Bold from ATT at $200 on contract and send my old curve in and got 40$ visa. Like a mail in rebate direct from RIM. Making the price for me 160$ Which was a double subsidy. One from the carrier the other via RIM. Albeit they got their hardware back, it was a nice deal for me, others I'm sure would like something similar.

When BB10 comes out I'm not jumping on board because I love my 9900 so much. If they essentially "paid" me to upgrade to a BB10 phone I'm not gonna argue. I got a discount at purchase and get paid to get rid of it on it an hop ship to BB10?
    05-20-12 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD