Hate all the negative news published on websites from time 2 time. I know its a rough patch now, but hopefully they'll get thru it. I hope the 9900 and the Torch 9810 turns things around. I'm soooo sick of cell phone retailers pushing Android and iPhone everytime a customer comes into the store. Only cell phone enthuiast know about OS's, so a less knowledagble person would just listen 2 the sales rep & get Android or iPhone over a BB Bold 9900.

I love u RIM. I hope 2012 is a better year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 11:15 PM
    Hear hear. Upgraded my Storm to a 9900 early and paid the early upgrade fee. I loved my Storm but was excited about the new OS. My wife was set to go with a Torch 9860 but our local store was out of stock. She ended up with an iPhone 4 and is OK with it, but she looks at my BB and says that she wishes she had waited until the store had stock of the 9860.

I've been a loyal BB user since the old scroll-wheel/no phone/monochromatic days and have always loved what they offer - quick, efficient email and later phone. I disagree with the whole "my phone has a million apps" argument since I rarely have time to play around anyway. My BB does what I want it to do, and it does it spectacularly. And, I do have a few apps installed on my BB.

Love my 9900! And, the staff at our Telus store were seemingly envious of the 9900 I was purchasing. One had a Storm 2 and the other had an older Android. Neither was trying to sway us away from RIM.
    11-04-11 11:31 PM
    agreed! if there was no more bb i dunno where id turn.
    11-04-11 11:32 PM
    I agree. I love my 9900 and playbook. I hope they survive. I have used the other platforms and this is what I like. I would hate to lose it.

11-04-11 11:33 PM
    playbooks dope, 9810s dope, blackberry is diggidy dizope

werd2mother!
    11-04-11 11:41 PM
    CaNaDa is dope! so is bb
    11-04-11 11:43 PM
    "I hope RIM weathers the storm cause I love my BlackBerry"
    My feelings too. RIM, thanks for my BlackBerrys past and present, they have been outstanding devices, and I'm looking forward to the 9930 or a 9930 like QNX device.
    11-05-11 12:07 AM
    I had a regular flip phones 4 calls, had a Sidekick & loved texting on it, but when I got the BB Curve 8900 with T-Mobile is when I became a BB fan 4 life. It does what I need it 2 do. Yeah, I don't care about the apps that much either. I'm just sick and tired of websites like Phonedog.com & crackberry publishing negative news from time 2 time. Phonedog does a "slam-rim" article every week. I'm shocked because there are more BB users then Palm Pre Web OS users, so I don't see any "slam Palm Pre WebOs" articles. Palm was the ugliest form factor ever. I think BB has a loyal fan base, so I can't see a huge population just drastically jumping ship 2 Android and iPhone.

I can't picture myself using any other device or OS.
    11-05-11 01:33 PM
    agreed! if there was no more bb i dunno where id turn.
    My thoughts exactly lockedtight, and I find it hard to understand why RIM is seemingly letting itself slide downhill !
    11-05-11 05:09 PM
    Here here!!!! I wholeheartedly agree. I don' t know what I would use if it were not for BB.
    11-05-11 08:44 PM
    I had a regular flip phones 4 calls, had a Sidekick & loved texting on it, but when I got the BB Curve 8900 with T-Mobile is when I became a BB fan 4 life. It does what I need it 2 do. Yeah, I don't care about the apps that much either. I'm just sick and tired of websites like Phonedog.com & crackberry publishing negative news from time 2 time. Phonedog does a "slam-rim" article every week. I'm shocked because there are more BB users then Palm Pre Web OS users, so I don't see any "slam Palm Pre WebOs" articles. Palm was the ugliest form factor ever. I think BB has a loyal fan base, so I can't see a huge population just drastically jumping ship 2 Android and iPhone.

I can't picture myself using any other device or OS.
    Yeah but thing with BB was that they were on top of the smartphone marketshare. But stagnated. That's why they get so much hate. How they dropped so quick.

Just look at Engadgets review on the Storm (or Storm 2 I think it was). Look at their journalism then. Now look at them when they post reviews. It's crazy how much they turned.
    11-05-11 08:56 PM
    Lets just put this to rest right now.

I never guarantee anything on blogs but I will here. RIM could have its fortunes improve in the U.S. with the OS7 line-up. They truly stepped up their game. The web and youtube is now great and the BB-X phone should do quite well. However, even if they did not increase market share in the U.S. they certainly will around the world.

We Americans may be looking at this company in the U.S. and think, they are in trouble. However, if you look at their total count worldwide it is still awesome (from 50 million last DevCon to 70 million on this one). This will not change much. There are some market distortions in the U.S. regarding data consumption that are not going to take place in places like India, Brazil, and much of the rapidly developing world.

RIM did fall asleep on their laurels of security, efficiency and e-mail/messaging. Sure, they had 50% market share and now they are around 10% in the U.S. but this hides the fact that RIM is still selling a ton of stuff, even in the U.S.

Bottom line. Even if their success did not improve in the U.S. you and many others will be able to enjoy the most secure, best e-mail and messaging device in the world.

Here is why I'm much more optimistic than that:
    RIM finally got the memo on content. Look at their recent acquisitions (newBay, JayCut, etc.) and as far as UI and apps it was quite clear they have set on a path to success by leveraging TAT created tools and HTML5 tools that will allow developers to easily port apps between the current OS7 phones, Playbook and future BB-X phones.

Why is that important? Because it is easier for RIM to sign deals with movie studios and provide other content and apps (now that they have decided to do this) than it is for competitors to provide a communications device with the security infrastructure that RIM has built.
    RIM already signed for over 10k titles for movie studios and has launched BBM Music. You may or may not fancy each of these things but it is clear RIM gets it about content.

When RIM has really great, world class content, a great TAT inspired UI, a powerful processor and still provides the best security and e-mail and messaging (and for Pete's sake do some quality marketing!) the company will soar.

You mentioned that there are so many people piling on RIM right now. This is because they want RIM to fail. They will never be able to replicate the security and they know that the newest OS on the block with be BBX. They know that if they can't bring RIM to their knees soon, they will not be able to do it.

If you don't like your BlackBerry then you should go get something that meets your needs but if you do like your BlackBerry then don't head for the exit out of fear that they will go out of business. They won't. I guarantee it.

RIM did make a mistake and it hurt them but they figured it out and are pushing forward. Next year, thanks to the dedicated team and yes the leadership of Mike L. they will get it done (this is a guy that took an idea from a garage and some lunch money and built a world class communications super power).

By the way, to think that competitors will not make mistakes is a mistake in itself. Apple is starting to build a track record of them that will catch up with them. The antenna gate issue on the iPhone 4 was real, the 4S has battery problems that may or not get resolved, are real. Apple has admitted it. Further, and more importantly, apple is making an arrogant choice on restricting its apps.
    The Kindle, Google Books, Audible apps on apple products have been crippled by having apple remove its store and buy buttons. Yeah, even if we BlackBerry users have to wait for the apps to be upgraded for new models, we eventually do get them and they are fully operational. Apple just screwed its customers again by making it harder to use competitor apps and cajole them into using iBooks. Is that fair? is that innovation? I don't think so.
    Do you want to get locked in to an ecosystem that requires current and expensive upgrades and restricts your choices? I know their former leader could sell it and they did come out with something revolutionary four years ago. The new leadership is not as good at selling and marketing and the most innovative thing from apple lately is how many people they sue. Things move in cycles. Remember Apple almost went out of business without Jobs before. I'm not saying that will happen, I believe Apple will do well but I am saying RIM will endure and thrive as well.

I agree with you that some of the criticism is just frustrating. I am so tired of it that I asked my wife, a graphic designer, to create a t-shirt and long sleeve shirt that expresses my support for RIM. We ordered them yesterday and should have them by Friday.
    I figured it would make a good workout t-shirt for the gym and does not require a single word to say where I stand. Besides, I just think it will give me that extra boost on the last repetition when I think of all the haters (some of them on this very post) trying to bring us down. Not going to happen!

RIM, I thank you for the Bold 9930 and the awesome Playbook. As a user, that is all that matters.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-07-11 at 11:47 AM.
    Guatiao likes this.
    11-05-11 09:41 PM
    Hate all the negative news published on websites from time 2 time. I know its a rough patch now, but hopefully they'll get thru it. I hope the 9900 and the Torch 9810 turns things around. I'm soooo sick of cell phone retailers pushing Android and iPhone everytime a customer comes into the store. Only cell phone enthuiast know about OS's, so a less knowledagble person would just listen 2 the sales rep & get Android or iPhone over a BB Bold 9900.

I love u RIM. I hope 2012 is a better year.

Well, 2012 isn't going to be any better. Ballsillie and Lazaridis have done some really stupid things that aren't going to get unwound very quickly. They haven't gauged the market correctly for about three years. Their current crop of devices are missing key features and "OS 7" is really a cleaned up OS 6 and an orphan the day it was released.

RIM is continuing to focus on the Playbook, despite the lack of sales and traction on the device. The number one reason the device isn't selling is the lack of a native e-mail client. RIM was supposed to fix that by Summer 2011. It's Nov 2011, no e-mail client. No hope of one until February. That is about five months past the last day of summer.

Since the device isn't selling, RIM has devoted even more developer time to it. That makes complete sense. iPhone is four years old. The browser in the first generation iPhone is better than RIM's current browser. Where is the development time to fix that?

There is no estimated date of a QNX phone. But there is all kinds of news about playbook. I don't want a playbook. I want a phone with my Blackberries messaging capabilities, security and the iPhone's browser and applications. RIM has had four years to produce this. They have done nothing but release half baked, obsolete ideas year after year. Now, they are finally trading below book value. What did they expect?

Did Ballsillie and Lazaridis expect to continually not provide an improved experience and not pay any price? If they did, then they are fools.

I love my Berry for what it does, but like Oliver Twist, I have been holding my bowl out asking for more for years. Nothing. ****, RIM can't even get the hotspot right in the 9900/9930. And before the fanbois go nuts and claim its the carriers, why would ALL carriers not have the capability? No, the limitation is RIM's. Every Droid since the incredible could be a hotspot. No berry has been. We are talking about a TWO YEAR OLD FEATURE.

Yet, Lazaridis and Ballsillie run around crowing about how little data a Blackberry uses. That's not a selling point. The reason we don't use as much data is we simply can't. Why be proud of crippling your customer?

Anyway, RIM has about four more quarters to turn this around. If they don't then Android and iPhone win. Not because they are necessarily better at all things, they aren't. But because they are providing the user experience most users want.

Right now, I suspect RIM will become first a specialized corporate device. Then it will be come a purveyor of software push e-mail solutions for all platforms. Then it will be purchased by another player for its intellectual property. They will buy it because under the current leadership, the company will sell for less than what it would be worth in other hands.

Sad really.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-06-11 12:59 AM
    They can't just give up on the playbook. Number 1 it would be a HUGE Pr disaster. Number 2 it is their beta of the QNX os. Number 3 it's too soon.
    11-06-11 01:17 AM
    I hope RIM makes it, but every day, I see them slipping further and further away.
    11-06-11 01:17 AM
    They can't just give up on the playbook. Number 1 it would be a HUGE Pr disaster. Number 2 it is their beta of the QNX os. Number 3 it's too soon.
    Number 1 - It's already a huge disaster. It isn't selling.

Number 2 - No, it's not. It lacks e-mail. Further, it isn't a phone. It fails as a beta, it's a half baked product that is NOT SELLING.

Number 3 - it's been almost 7 months since the device was released. And no email client. It is almost time to refresh the hardware. Why spend time trying to fix a failed device? RIM needs to focus on the BBX phones. THEN worry about tablets. If they had done things in that order, we would all be rocking BBX super phones. Waiting with anticipation for a rocking tablet. We are sitting on phones really no better than a year ago, in terms of features.. you get the idea.

RIM needed a reality check. And the market gave them one. Which is why your follow on post is so poignant, RIM isn't learning. It's like watching a slow motion train wreck involving a dear loved one. But there is nothing any of us can do. Folks on crackberry.com have been voicing concern for a year. Jim and Mike have ignored us and continued on their merry way. Now, folks are jumping at an alarming rate.
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 11-06-11 at 01:56 AM.
    11-06-11 01:44 AM
    Number 1 - It's already a huge disaster. It isn't selling.

Number 2 - No, it's not. It lacks e-mail. Further, it isn't a phone. It fails as a beta, it's a half baked product that is NOT SELLING.

Number 3 - it's been almost 7 months since the device was released. And no email client. It is almost time to refresh the hardware. Why spend time trying to fix a failed device? RIM needs to focus on the BBX phones. THEN worry about tablets. If they had done things in that order, we would all be rocking BBX super phones. Waiting with anticipation for a rocking tablet. We are sitting on phones really no better than a year ago, in terms of features.. you get the idea.

RIM needed a reality check. And the market gave them one. Which is why your follow on post is so poignant, RIM isn't learning. It's like watching a slow motion train wreck involving a dear loved one. But there is nothing any of us can do. Folks on crackberry.com have been voicing concern for a year. Jim and Mike have ignored us and continued on their merry way. Now, folks are jumping at an alarming rate.

PR is worse disaster to have sir. If they gave up on it, then there really would be no chance of developers coming back.

Secondly- you are wrong. There is no email or BBM client because it's a BETA. They are trying to sort everything out on the tablet.

Where have you been?
    11-06-11 10:24 AM
    I just read somewhere that BlackBerry past the iPhone as a top phone in the UK so things are looking up?

11-06-11 11:25 AM
    PR is worse disaster to have sir. If they gave up on it, then there really would be no chance of developers coming back.

Secondly- you are wrong. There is no email or BBM client because it's a BETA. They are trying to sort everything out on the tablet.

Where have you been?
    How the heck can the Playbook be a beta? Why would any company release an entire product that costs $500 as a beta? That's insane. Worse, there were promises made about an e-mail client by summer 2011. Didn't happen. Now they are saying Feb 2012. They will probably miss that date as well.

A company should never release a product and then try to "sort it out." That's how you kill your customer base.

Before you say SIRI is a beta, that's true. That one program is a beta, and everyone was warned it's a beta. The Playbook was touted as a completed product when it was released. At no point did anyone at RIM say, "buy our beta tablet."

Just where have you been?
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 11-06-11 at 02:03 PM.
    11-06-11 01:56 PM
    I really enjoy my BB Bold 9930 and Playbook. The problem is I'm in the minority in the U.S. BB is still number 1 in many markets overseas, but if BB doesn't produce a QNX phone soon they may lose that #1 spot as Apple and Google penetrate those markets the same way they've done in the U.S. Personally, I can live without Angry Birds on my phone and tablet. However, almost every store I walk in has Angry Bird stuffed animals and T-Shirts. It's just one of the many examples of something big that people want and they can't get it on their BB. Again, not a big deal to me, I love my BB devices, but it is a big deal the majority of consumers. I'm pulling for BB too, but after their constant lies over the past year about Playbook Android player upgrades and QNX phones ready to display at DevCon, I think they could be in big trouble.
    11-07-11 12:11 PM
    How the heck can the Playbook be a beta? Why would any company release an entire product that costs $500 as a beta? That's insane. Worse, there were promises made about an e-mail client by summer 2011. Didn't happen. Now they are saying Feb 2012. They will probably miss that date as well.

A company should never release a product and then try to "sort it out." That's how you kill your customer base.

Before you say SIRI is a beta, that's true. That one program is a beta, and everyone was warned it's a beta. The Playbook was touted as a completed product when it was released. At no point did anyone at RIM say, "buy our beta tablet."

Just where have you been?
    I agree that they shouldn't release an unfinished product but we are here and now- the unfinished playbook has been released. They CANNOT kill it or it will further damage their reputation and image.

My dude, I know they didn't say it was a beta. But we all know that the tablet is the BBX OS in a beta form. If it wasn't then it would be finished.
    11-07-11 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD