It may sound crazy, but though I really can't wait to get my hands on the new 9900...
    I'm afraid that it might have a few bugs in it again, and that RIM might be coming with upgraded versions (for example 9960, 9970, 9980) within 6 months or so.

Remember how they played the game with the 9700... first getting an upgrade to 9780, and now there seems to be coming a 9790.
    ---------

RIM is on the edge of putting themselves out of the market, and they know it.
    iPhone, Android have a much bigger fanbase these days it seems, so RIM (atleast that's what I think) can't afford themselves to play games this time.
    Or they might lose it bigtime... if they lose more costumers, it could well mean that RIM is nearing their bankrupt.

So for God's sake, make the 9900 a winner... and don't play games with your customers by bringing out slightly improved upgrades over and over again!

- Maybe I'm over-reacting... but I'm not feeling comfortable on when to buy a 9900. Is it better to wait a few weeks and hear people's reviews?
    Last edited by Dx3me; 07-27-11 at 01:59 PM.
    07-27-11 01:57 PM
    I for one can wait for the reviews because my current phone is a Droid 2.

Oh wait I can't wait I need a new phone because there is nothing I like about the current phone. I am considering going back to a dumb phone.
    07-27-11 02:09 PM
    The 9780 release was about a year after the 9700.

That's the expected upgrade time period...
    07-27-11 02:10 PM
    Yes I understand these kind of upgrades... but the 9700 was just too slow, and the 9780 was a fix to what the 9700 should have been.
    Many people bought a 9700, just to find out it wasn't what it should have been, and needed to pay lots of extra cash to rectify the bugs that 9780 took away.

I just hope 9900 is good from the start, and doesn't need an upgrade to fix things...
    07-27-11 02:14 PM
    I'm sure that many of us would be upset if RIM released a half baked or very soon to outdated device (excluding QNX who will come who knows when). Don't screw it up, or many of us won't be coming back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 02:21 PM
    RIM is a multi-billion dollar company. I'm sure they're well aware of what's at stake.

07-27-11 02:25 PM
    I really love BB for the OS and device. (CPU Speed aside) After playing with Android, iPhones and BB, I still love the BB the most and actually came back to it. As far as software, I think they are making progress and I really like what they have done and where they are going.
    But whatever the screw up is on the release of the 99xx they need to address this swiftly. If it is truly the carries holding this up, RIM needs to really work with them to rebuild the relationship and show they will deliver devices that will sell (99xx is a good start I think). That and continue to keep their heads out of the sand and keep up with the competition.
    07-27-11 02:37 PM
    RIM is a multi-billion dollar company. I'm sure they're well aware of what's at stake.

This is the company that were halfway through a development cycle for new phones before they realized that it would be obsolete before it went on sale.

This is why the 9900 STILL isn't released yet.

I love BlackBerrys but RIM is known for massive ******* like this.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 07-27-11 at 03:06 PM. Reason: language
    07-27-11 02:59 PM

Frankly I think RIMM got way too cozy and and missed the boat. If they knew what was at stake as you say, they would not have sat back and watched their market share be devoured at such a rapid pace. Their market value is a third of what it was a year ago (stocks at a 52 week low). They have serious problems and really need to get refocused. That said, I think and hope that they will. Buy their stock now.
    07-27-11 03:18 PM
    Frankly I think RIMM got way too cozy and and missed the boat. If they knew what was at stake as you say, they would not have sat back and watched their market share be devoured at such a rapid pace. Their market value is a third of what it was a year ago (stocks at a 52 week low). They have serious problems and really need to get refocused. That said, I think and hope that they will. Buy their stock now.
    As many people have pointed out already, buying their stock right now is a terrible idea.
    07-27-11 03:49 PM
    Did I miss the part where this is basically another re-worded thread about how frustrated people are with RIM and their products? Seriously, that's all I see around here, and I haven't even been on these forums for very long; "what's the deal with RIM?!" "come one RIM you're falling behind!" "I'm done with BlackBerry, I can't take it anymore!" "if this continues, I'm getting an Android phone!"

We get it. We really, truly get it.
    Masahiro likes this.
    07-27-11 03:57 PM
    Did I miss the part where this is basically another re-worded thread about how frustrated people are with RIM and their products? Seriously, that's all I see around here, and I haven't even been on these forums for very long; "what's the deal with RIM?!" "come one RIM you're falling behind!" "I'm done with BlackBerry, I can't take it anymore!" "if this continues, I'm getting an Android phone!"

We get it. We really, truly get it.
    What do you expect people to do? They have to complain somewhere, and this just happens to be a forum where blackberry users spend their time.
    07-27-11 04:30 PM
    I can't wait for the 9930 I have a DROID x right now and yes it's a dope phone but I feel empty without my bb
    07-27-11 05:38 PM
    Don't forget about the tour 9630 and then the bold 9650, and everyone thought that a phone in freaking 2009-2010 should have had wifi(in the tour) and all they added was a trackpad,wifi,and some ram in the bold

07-27-11 06:10 PM
    What do you expect people to do? They have to complain somewhere, and this just happens to be a forum where blackberry users spend their time.
    Well the repetitiveness and abysmal quality of the posts lately could drive most of us to drink. I was always taught there's no such thing as a stupid question but a small handfull of users on this forum have proven that statement innacurate. In general the issue seems to be that they make no effort to educate themselves with information that is widely available HERE and in other places before they start crowding a once respectable place for the informed to congregate with the same questions over and over in a deteriorating quality of rhetoric.

There are forums specific to many questions that are being asked and most of the posts here, besides being absolute sh*t, are simply in the wrong place. However, considering the problem is that these people aren't willing to do the research themselves it doesn't look like the problem will be solved any time soon. Think about why everyone hates Yahoo! Answers and then look around. That's what this place is becoming.
    Masahiro and overhere like this.
    07-27-11 06:13 PM
    I'm looking at you, EVOP.
    07-27-11 06:14 PM
    Well the repetitiveness and abysmal quality of the posts lately could drive most of us to drink. I was always taught there's no such thing as a stupid question but a small handfull of users on this forum have proven that statement innacurate. In general the issue seems to be that they make no effort to educate themselves with information that is widely available HERE and in other places before they start crowding a once respectable place for the informed to congregate with the same questions over and over in a deteriorating quality of rhetoric.

There are forums specific to many questions that are being asked and most of the posts here, besides being absolute sh*t, are simply in the wrong place. However, considering the problem is that these people aren't willing to do the research themselves it doesn't look like the problem will be solved any time soon. Think about why everyone hates Yahoo! Answers and then look around. That's what this place is becoming.
    That's been brought up more than a few times over the last couple of years, so you're not alone in voicing it.

07-27-11 06:22 PM
    I don't think you'll find any device on any platform that does not have bugs at the release. BlackBerry, Apple and Android all suffer from bugs of some type.

"It may sound crazy, but though I really can't wait to get my hands on the new 9900...
    I'm afraid that it might have a few bugs in it again,"

07-27-11 06:26 PM
    RIM is a frustrating company and they've jaded a few owners with their piddly upgrades and fixes post launch.

The Playbook

The 9780

The 9650 Tour/Bold fiasco

It's one thing to release behind-the-times devices but it really stings the loyalty factor when they do this. I hope they are learning and it's a shame they didn't already know this.
    07-27-11 06:33 PM
    Some devices haven't had upgrades - there was the Storm, and a year later the Storm2, which was EOL'd nine months later. It's coming up on being 2 years since its release with no upgrade coming (because the Storm is no more), so I for one will be snapping up a 9930 - the device I wanted 3 years ago before the Storm ever existed. The trackball scroll speed on my Pearl was such that if I could have just touched anywhere on that tiny screen instead of scrolling for an eternity I might actually be still using it. Now I see the prospect of a full qwerty combined with a good sized capacitive screen being a reality and my contract date ending in 30 days - I'm not going to worry about what's 6 months down the road as there's always news and rumors about new devices. If I kept waiting for what's just around the corner I'd never upgrade. I'm getting a 9930 now and worry about new and improved in a couple years.

07-27-11 06:36 PM
    I for one can wait for the reviews because my current phone is a Droid 2.

Oh wait I can't wait I need a new phone because there is nothing I like about the current phone. I am considering going back to a dumb phone.
    I feel your pain, my friend.
    07-27-11 11:25 PM
    I am sure you are aware that RIMM is not doing well in the North America as for other places around the globe they have a pretty strong foot hold. Please keep that in mind.

As for your final statement on your original post. I believe you are over-reacting, along with a large number of the press which have a bad tendency to run on speculation.

So for the mean time, just sit down, pick up a legitimate newspaper published by your local newspaper publisher, brew up a cup of coffee and simply wait. With all honesty that is all we really can do right now.
    07-28-11 03:19 AM
    the blackberry os 7 supports openglES2.0,so youcan build up an very powerful game on it!
    07-28-11 12:31 PM
    I totally agree with the OP. RIM needs to stop messing around and this is their last chance to impress the masses before they become like those Palm Pre devices. I love my BB, but it so under powered compared to the competition and i am shocked RIM still released the sill BB Curve 9300 devices when the EVO 4G had a 1GHZ processor. Doesn't make sense. Anyways, i cant wait for my BB Bold 9900/9930. I hope BB is making a 4.3 inch touch screen BB to combat with the EVO 3D and the iPhone 4S/iPhone 5 (which i am sure will have a 4 inch screen).
    07-28-11 03:10 PM
    One thing BB has been weak on the past is hardware power, although they have the most reliable hardware and are famous for their durability. They took care of that. Frankly, I understand the frustration with past devices because I came from an iPhone and got a Tour, loved it and hated it so I went to a top of the line droid. Battery sucked. When the Torch came out I came back and I like it better than the others but felt it could have more power. The new phones all have 2x the processing speed, more RAM, and frankly, lets not forget that RIMM does have an awesome reputation for quality hardware. The OS6 upgrade was also very good. Really! The OS7 should just be OS6 on steroids and that is fine with me.
    The bottom line here is I've left BB but came right back because frankly all phones have limitations. The strange thing is that somehow people overlook the iPhone shortfalls (probably due to great marketing) but not BB. I had an iPhone and I've had an HTC Evo 4G. To me the Torch was the better all around phone but with the Gretzky it is just a home run.
    08-15-11 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD