I have had many phones. I do not like buying protective cases as I am careful with my devices in pockets etc. I seem to have perfected avoiding scratches to the back of my phones but the 9900 is simply a disaster. Scratches appeared just by looking at it.

I really hope BB10 devices are back to what I would call "normal" builds as the 9900 is shocking for scratches.
    10-19-12 03:03 AM
    The back of the L series is rumored to have the rubbery type back like the PlayBook. As for the front... Hopefully its tough glass. My 9850 screen gets scratched by dust in the air blowing by it by my air conditioning in my apartment. Serious disappointment. Except it falls from my pocket doing 55mph on a rollercoaster and barely has marks on it. I can't figure it out.
    10-19-12 03:21 AM
    The back of the L series is rumored to have the rubbery type back like the PlayBook. As for the front... Hopefully its tough glass. My 9850 screen gets scratched by dust in the air blowing by it by my air conditioning in my apartment. Serious disappointment. Except it falls from my pocket doing 55mph on a rollercoaster and barely has marks on it. I can't figure it out.
    It might be because it uses plastic for the screen. Harder to shatter, easier to get scratches. Well anything that's more "bendable" gets scratches easier while is more shatter prone. But if it doesn't bend, it shatters more easily than it gets scratches.

And that's the tradeoff. lol
    10-19-12 11:06 AM
    Don't worry about the Build Quality for a minute - that's never been on of RIM's problems.......
    ...The BB10 devices will be 1st class build quality - no doubt about that at all.
    ...What we need to worry about is if it ships out as a FUNCTIONAL PHONE.

What everyone needs to worry about is if BB10 Ships with Skype & Netflix....
    ..If Netflix works with BB10 then it will work with the Playbook after it gets it's roll-up.
    ..Then life will be very good in BB land.

If BB10 fails to get Skype and Netflix I'm afraid it will be game over shortly after that.
    10-19-12 11:12 AM
    I have had many phones. I do not like buying protective cases as I am careful with my devices in pockets etc. I seem to have perfected avoiding scratches to the back of my phones but the 9900 is simply a disaster. Scratches appeared just by looking at it.

I really hope BB10 devices are back to what I would call "normal" builds as the 9900 is shocking for scratches.
    Sounds weird...

I use 2 9900's - all bare naked - and not a scratch... of course I avoid putting it down onto gravel and rocks - but besides from that the devices are all around - on their front - on their back.. and so far - not a single scratch... not even on the sides...

It's the toughest devices I've had so far...
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    10-19-12 11:22 AM
    If BB10 fails to get Skype and Netflix I'm afraid it will be game over shortly after that.

Seriously - you watch movies on your phone?

almost like back in old days when some bright minds thought it would be cool to have a TV integrated in a wrist-watch...
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    10-19-12 11:26 AM
    Don't worry about the Build Quality for a minute - that's never been on of RIM's problems.......
    ...The BB10 devices will be 1st class build quality - no doubt about that at all.

..If Netflix works with BB10 then it will work with the Playbook after it gets it's roll-up.

Completely disagree, I have no need for either Netflix or Skype. Netflix simply because both the selection and quality suck, and Skype because I know not one single person who uses it. Besides, quality is hit and miss, especially on international calls.

Back on topic, one of the reasons I'm #teamblackberry is because of the quality and solidity of the hardware. I'm fairly hard on my phones and have never had an issue, including with my 9900 and 9790. The Samsungs and Nokias I've had in the past never stood up as well. I have no fears that RIM will carry this through in the next generation of devices.
    10-19-12 11:27 AM

So your saying that the build quality on a newly released phone has never been an issue with RIM/Blackberry?
    10-19-12 11:44 AM
    Plenty of feedback about the 9900 being a scratch magnet is easily obtainable.

Honestly, if you think you have a 9900 and no cover on it and there are no scratches on the back, hold it long ways and look closely - there will be many fine scratches.
    10-19-12 02:21 PM

Honestly, if you think you have a 9900 and no cover on it and there are no scratches on the back, hold it long ways and look closely - there will be many fine scratches.
    The exact same thing can be said about any phone. My partner has a white SIII, it's looking very shabby. And then there's the iPhone which in many cases is scratched and/or dented before it's out of the box but apparently this is normal wear and tear according to Apple.. Wear and tear has to be expected and I can honestly say that both my BBs are holding up better than either the Samsung or the iPhone but still have the occasional nick.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    10-19-12 02:32 PM

nope - no scratches... perhaps with a microscope i would see something... but why would i do such thing?

I always consider a phone to be a tool - and when I buy a tool it should come with all needed to use the tool. SO - a phone that sells without "clothes" - should be able to be used without...

After seeing some results from all sort of protectors - screenprotector - cases etc... they all make the device look "weird"... use them nude... - and after a couple of years it's time to get a new one anyway...
    10-19-12 02:35 PM
    fine scratches an nick are just a part of using your phone. i baby the crap outta my 9860 but if i look close there are fine wear makes where it makes contact with the table when i put it down. as for build quality the new devices always have issues i don't care what device it is but RIM/ Carries have always been really good at replacing my defective ish.
    10-19-12 02:39 PM
    If you're that worried about scratches, you should be using a case anyways.
    10-19-12 02:42 PM
    Oh yea we definitely need the build quality to be nothing short of excellent (not plasticy). I like the nice metal on the 9930 and the rubber back of the PlayBook. RIM should make that luxurious feeling and looking rubber back as their "signature" look.
    10-19-12 06:35 PM
    The build Q on every BB I've had was better than good so fear not. Can't say the same for a Samsung I had... RIP
    10-19-12 06:42 PM
    I want a good heaDPHONE JACK THAT DOESN'T FAIL DUE TO USE AFTER 6 month like my Droid 3 did.
    10-19-12 09:26 PM
    It is only the 9900 I have had an issue with. Every 9900 I have seen is scratched beyond belief on the battery door. I don't accept scratches are just part of life with a phone, None of my phones prior to the 9900 ever had any scratches.

The material making up the battery door is shocking for scratches.
    10-20-12 03:08 AM
    Don't know how you got your scratches, but I used my 9900 mostly without a case and just got some hardly visible scratches on the battery cover. I even dropped it two or three times - no visible damage.
    Maybe you should really consider buying a case for it.

As for the poster with the scratched screen:
    Like another person already said, plastic screens are rather easy to scratch. I'd highly recommend using a screen protector with those. The good thing about those screens would be the much better shatter resistance compared to glass displays. So if you drop your phone, the chances of damage are much lower compared to glass displays. Even Gorilla Glas won't change much about that and the improved scratch resistance is questionable too. One of my phones is equipped with Gorilla Glas and already has micro scratches....
    10-20-12 04:08 AM

is that really your complaint that the 9900s battery door scratches to easily. scratches on a phone are going to happen NO MATTER what phone you have and when it has a gloss finish it'll show even more

i throw mine around and bounce it on the floor just to make a point how well it built and how strong it is. i can't even begin to tell you how much abuse all my blackberry phones have taken, i'm an electrician so i often sit on then lie on then, step on them drop them off ladders, at home i'd dropped them fallen asleep on them dropped them down the stairs. its simply incredible how my 9900 looks dispite the abuse, its even taken sparks from when i was grinding out the side of a 1200amp distribution center and 300kva transformer
    10-20-12 04:42 AM