Here's what I hope and pray BB10 offers out of the gate...

Embrace all Google services. When BB10 releases, I hope to be able to incorporate all of my Google contacts (including G+ contacts), calendars, tasks, schemes, search terms, photos/Picasa, chrome bookmarks/cookies, etc.. All seamlessly.

The same should also apply to users of iOS and Win platforms. I also hope it seamlessly works with exchange/activesync.

Now I understand that a lot of diehards may speak out vociferously against it (mainly due to an inherent hatred for anything Google, however; before Android became a competitor, BB users were pro Google) , but if RIM wants to entice customers back (or those who've never experienced BB), it is a necessity.

Yes, apps-apps-apps are all a lot of people talk about, and yes that's important. But if RIM wants to once again impact the market share, they have to make it easier for the user to change platforms. I think I can safely speak for more than a few, that most users would more easily sacrifice some apps (with relative confidence they'll catch up), as long as it is a simple matter to move, incorporate, and utilize, their current data and services.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    10-18-12 06:56 PM
    Google Contacts now uses CardDAV, the open protocol for syncing contacts, and it will supported on BB10 out of the box, and in fact it works on the playbook as well.

Settings -> Accounts -> Add New Account -> Email, Calendar and Contacts -> Advanced Setup -> CardDAV.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-18-12 07:02 PM
    I use Google Apps for mail/contacts/calendar/reader/etc, but I don't use Android. Anti-Android sentiment doesn't have any place in a discussion of Google services. If BlackBerry 10 doesn't fully support Google services fully out of the gate, BB10 is dead. It would be like not having a Facebook app. Instant death.
    10-18-12 08:16 PM
    I don't really think that RIM hates Google, but its more of an issue of "Google not giving any love". As far as I recall, Google pulled the plug off on things such as google sync, etc. Whether it was a retaliation for RIM making an Android Player (because RIM isn't a part of the Open Handset Alliance, or unless I stand corrected) so Google had no way to tell RIM to "get off Android".

I mean, even for maps, RIM goes with TomTom instead of a native Google Maps application. That shows just how much things (probably) broke down between RIM and Google. So we'll probably see forked versions of Google products on BlackBerry 10. But fully supported? Not probably. Unless Google have everything do-able on HTML5, by web access (then we'll probably see some love from Google, because its a "one-code-multi-OS-platform" issue then, to which RIM would have anticipated by making sure that BlackBerry 10 has the best HTML5-compliant browser out on the market.
    00stryder, Mr_Comet and bitek like this.
    10-18-12 08:48 PM
    I don't really think that RIM hates Google, but its more of an issue of "Google not giving any love". As far as I recall, Google pulled the plug off on things such as google sync, etc. Whether it was a retaliation for RIM making an Android Player (because RIM isn't a part of the Open Handset Alliance, or unless I stand corrected) so Google had no way to tell RIM to "get off Android".

I mean, even for maps, RIM goes with TomTom instead of a native Google Maps application. That shows just how much things (probably) broke down between RIM and Google. So we'll probably see forked versions of Google products on BlackBerry 10. But fully supported? Not probably. Unless Google have everything do-able on HTML5, by web access (then we'll probably see some love from Google, because its a "one-code-multi-OS-platform" issue then, to which RIM would have anticipated by making sure that BlackBerry 10 has the best HTML5-compliant browser out on the market.
    10-18-12 08:49 PM

If I have to use a web browser to access my Google Reader account at launch, that's pretty bad.

Or if the Google mail experience on BB10 stock apps (mail, contacts, calendar, tasks) is somehow less featured than Google's own web version, that's pretty bad.

I understand that Google has ways of limiting its API on a platform-specific basis (see the latest Apple maps debacle where Google was refusing access to turn by turn navigation so as to retain a differentiating feature in Android). But if RIM is unable to get access to full API functionality for the major Google services, that's pretty bad. Some services like maps can be replaced, but if I can't get full access to the basics...
    10-18-12 09:00 PM
    If RIM wasn't planning on supporting Android they wouldn't have iOS/Android on fusion. RIM has the Jelly Bean Code currently, so I would expect essential google services.
    10-18-12 09:49 PM
    If RIM wasn't planning on supporting Android they wouldn't have iOS/Android on fusion. RIM has the Jelly Bean Code currently, so I would expect essential google services.
    I don't think "Android" was the point here.. the point was, RIM needs to offer the same sort of cohesiveness with Google in BlackBerry 10 that Android does. e.g. Google services need to work and work right!
    BB10FTW likes this.
    10-19-12 02:11 AM
    If Google does bring their maps to BB10, I hope they don't just stop working on it. When was the last time Google Maps was updated on BBOS?
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    10-19-12 02:13 AM
    What would be awesome for RIM to do is maybe use Android as the main operating system for all their future devices but then again maybe RIM would love to have their own operating system.
    10-19-12 04:42 AM
    What would be awesome for RIM to do is maybe use Android as the main operating system for all their future devices but then again maybe RIM would love to have their own operating system.
    That would be a terrible idea - I'm not convinced that BB10 can save RIM but switching to android would be a disaster.
    kbz1960 and bitek like this.
    10-19-12 04:53 AM
    Aren't there plenty manufacturers ut there using Android already?

Personally I hope they don't touch Google services, sure they should be available in Appworld but not out of the box in the OS.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    10-19-12 05:43 AM
    Google pulled the plug on Google Sync simply because it's limited function had become redundant, and not due to any lack of love. As for Maps (and as yet still non existent Google apps) that haven't seen development in a while, I'd say it's more an issue that Google decided to suspend development in anticipation of BB10.
    Google already provides API's to a significant majority of their services, and they eagerly develop applications for platforms for their services that don't. Take iOS for example; the moment they stopped developing their own Google Apps and gave Google the ok to build their own maps/gmail apps for iOS, Google happily began hacking away at them.
    10-19-12 07:30 AM
    If I have to use a web browser to access my Google Reader account at launch, that's pretty bad.

Or if the Google mail experience on BB10 stock apps (mail, contacts, calendar, tasks) is somehow less featured than Google's own web version, that's pretty bad.

I understand that Google has ways of limiting its API on a platform-specific basis (see the latest Apple maps debacle where Google was refusing access to turn by turn navigation so as to retain a differentiating feature in Android). But if RIM is unable to get access to full API functionality for the major Google services, that's pretty bad. Some services like maps can be replaced, but if I can't get full access to the basics...
    gmail on android is even a different experience then on the web version.... conversation mode cannot be turned off on the android version.. does it make it pretty bad?
    10-19-12 08:30 AM
    Aren't there plenty manufacturers ut there using Android already?
    Some people seem to believe that Android is some kind of magical OS that leads to easy money. All you have to do is put some hardware together and slap on the OS!

Of course, what they're forgetting is that there. Are only three companies that are really making the money with Android, and that is Samsung, Google, and Microsoft.
    10-19-12 09:40 AM
    Some people seem to believe that Android is some kind of magical OS that leads to easy money. All you have to do is put some hardware together and slap on the OS!

Of course, what they're forgetting is that there. Are only three companies that are really making the money with Android, and that is Samsung, Google, and Microsoft.
    It's not even clear that Google is making money out of Android...
    10-19-12 09:42 AM
    Have to agree. All I want is a G+ app on WP8 and BB10.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-19-12 09:48 AM
    Yep...don't think Google makes a lot of direct money from Android.
    10-19-12 09:48 AM
    I really don't care one way or the other, I don't have a single Google app on any of my devices. That's not because I have a hate on for all things Google but I find that the native apps I have, or the non-Google apps I've downloaded, fit my needs perfectly. To those who find Google essential, I hope there will be some flexibility shown between Google and RIM. In the meantime I'm quite happy with the way things are.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    10-19-12 09:55 AM
    Google functionality (which I discovered on BB) is essential for me.
    10-19-12 09:58 AM
    That's true. It's hard to say if even Google is making money off Android directly, never mind indirectly. Either way, in terms of OEMs for Android phones, it's only Samsung making the big bucks.
    10-19-12 09:58 AM
    Its weird how a few years back the android oem space was much more balanced in everyone grabbing profits, with htc making a little bit more and being king of the hill. Then out of nowhere samsung took pretty much all of the profit and leaving everyone else in freefall.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-19-12 10:07 AM
    Personally I hope they don't touch Google services, sure they should be available in Appworld but not out of the box in the OS.
    There should be an effortless setup wizard for the three largest email services: Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail. They should be fully functional, with fast and reliable two-way sync of folders and contacts. This is an absolute minimum for any mobile device now. The order I just stated is the current order of descending popularity in the US. Worldwide, Hotmail is in the lead. But Gmail is gaining ground everywhere. Anyone who buys a BB10 device should see a setup screen for activating email accounts from all three of those providers, with no need to go to App World to download anything. Since many, though not all, Gmail users also use Google Calendar, that should also be there as an option, with no need to download anything, just as it is on the PlayBook.

Obviously, BB10 shouldn't force people to use Google services, but the simple fact is that huge (and growing) numbers of people prefer those services and demand them on a smartphone. They need to be selectable right from the moment of turning the device on.
    kbz1960 and Roo Zilla like this.
    10-19-12 10:08 AM
    Google's profit from Android comes from most of the same sources they use to compile search results in web browsers, along with user-approved location sharing information, ad services, and Google Play. The Android OS doesn't make any direct profit since it is open source and available free (although they do have requirements for being a part of the alliance). From what I have read, Google doesn't care of companies use Android differently (RIM's Android player, Kindle Fire...).

As far as BB10 using Google services, I would think it is safe to believe that they will be included. On the PlayBook, I already have the ability to add my Gmail account, which syncs the calendar and contacts automatically (when set to do so). The BB10 beta on the Dev Alpha does as well - even though BlackBerry Hub isn't on there for email, contacts and calendar events do show up when a Google account is associated with the device.
    10-19-12 10:16 AM
    I agree OP even though I don't use those services.
    10-19-12 10:57 AM
44 12