Sooo...did anyone else watch the latest BerryFlow episode? Super interesting and kinda related
    James Nieves likes this.
    06-02-15 03:29 PM
    I know right. The more Android users come on here and bash BlackBerry, the more I hate Google and all their cult followers. They are like annoying little pests that you keeping stomping with your feet but won't away. I don't see Apple fans coming here proving anything. They have shown us by far they are the better bunch then Android users.

Personally I'm a consumer and don't like using Android phones and that's my preferences. I think Android fanboys come here because they feel insecure about their position and try to push us BlackBerry users to to drop our phones and move to their so call greatest OS ever. I for one would rather be bullied to death by these Green Martians then give up on my pride and switch to a platform I feel awkward with.

Every android device I ever played with (would never use one as a personal phone) took forever to make sure there was minimal data collecting going on. Don't tell me I am "inexperienced". I looked at your profile and it shows android only devices. If you love them so much I can't understand why you are here on CrackBerry.
    "Why must I be like that"
    Q10Bold, lift and gokulesh like this.
    06-02-15 03:37 PM
    I have a little over 40 apps currently installed on my phone (3rd party, not including preinstalled apps)

Of those 40+ I use about 10 on a daily basis, and probably 20+ on a weekly basis. I use all 40+ eventually over a long enough time period, but I'd say probably 20-25 of them see regular usage each month.
    Cynycl likes this.
    06-02-15 03:40 PM
    I know right. The more Android users come on here and bash BlackBerry, the more I hate Google and all their cult followers. They are like annoying little pests that you keeping stomping with your feet but won't away. I don't see Apple fans coming here proving anything. They have shown us by far they are the better bunch then Android users.

Personally I'm a consumer and don't like using Android phones and that's my preferences. I think Android fanboys come here because they feel insecure about their position and try to push us BlackBerry users to to drop our phones and move to their so call greatest OS ever. I for one would rather be bullied to death by these Green Martians then give up on my pride and switch to a platform I feel awkward with.
    Android users are insecure? LOL. It may be the other way around or it wouldn't bother you. If you're happy with your BlackBerry (I'm happy with my Z30 which I have gone to using as my full time device) then who really cares? They're just opinions and we're all entitled to them. Many of us have used multiple platforms. So what? It's not world peace we're discussing here. Not worth the stress. Peace.

Z30something
    LazyEvul, Cynycl, Witmen and 2 others like this.
    06-02-15 03:46 PM
    Exactly, it's all opinions. My opinion is Android sucks. Peace out!

Android users are insecure? LOL. It may be the other way around or it wouldn't bother you. If you're happy with your BlackBerry (I'm happy with my Z30 which I have gone to using as my full time device) then who really cares? They're just opinions and we're all entitled to them. Many of us have used multiple platforms. So what? It's not world peace we're discussing here. Not worth the stress. Peace.

Z30something
    vanrickman likes this.
    06-02-15 03:56 PM
    OK, now we're wayyyyyy off topic. LOL.

Z30something
    Cynycl likes this.
    06-02-15 03:56 PM
    I am aware of some of the tools that are available - Adblock was an example that is getting under the corporate skin of web advertisers. I also use Browserprotect, Ghostery, NoScript and the list goes on. I enjoy using Lightbeam and watching the relationship of the ''watchers''. I agree that Google is now showing new colors to users to lure them in their fold and make more money. The only way to stop this attitude from data collectors is to stop their revenue stream. If no money can be made - they will move on to real jobs
    Check out AdNauseam, it spams advertisers back with useless clicks, so in the end they end up with a worthless profile of you, or pay for nothing...

A bit mean, some might say, but can you fight back *actively* otherwise? Most other methods are just passive protection or blocking. And yeah, links are meant to be clicked, right?

;-)

(haven't turned it on for a while, I think)

�   Wife currently leaping around for joy with her new toy....   �
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-02-15 04:08 PM
    For real, I use browser and CB10 all the time. Mainly Emali- dont know if you call it an app, BBM, phone and calendar!
    For other things- Ultrabook boom!
    Ohh and android- noooo! Never!!the UI is cheap looking!! Even on ios. I like the BB10 style!

My browser is better for banking stuff! Browser + keepas or password keeper!! Perfect and safest combo!

Posted via Q10Bold
    thymaster likes this.
    06-02-15 04:18 PM
    If the web is solely based on advertising - then something is very wrong.
    Much like television, the web is NOT solely based on advertising, but it is reliant on advertising for a whole lot. Advertising paid for TV broadcasts almost exclusively for more than 50 years before subscription-based services started to make a real dent into the TV model, and somehow we all survived "being bombarded with ads."

This very website has ads, and yet we all manage to use it. Without those ads, either this site wouldn't exist, or it would need to have a pay-subscription model to survive.

Ads are not the devil, and having ads targeted to your interest rather than something you care nothing about is hardly the worst thing that ever happened. If I'm going to see an ad, I'd rather it be for something I care about, rather than for a seafood restaurant (I don't eat seafood) or a CD from a Country artist (I don't listen to Country) or whatever. And the people who like seafood and Country music would rather see those ads than the ads for things I like.

Someone here was complaining that "Google steals your data and gives you nothing in return" - the fact is that Google takes the data that YOU give them when you use their services, and you "get paid" by being given a whole host of Google services to use for free, should you choose to do so. And if you don't want to use Google's services, you are free to use someone else's instead, whether that service is "free" and ad-based like Google's, or whether it's subscription-based; it will be one or the other.

I respect people's desire to keep their own data private if they choose to, but those same people needn't spread a bunch of FUD and exaggerate, take out-of-context, or outright lie about what companies like Google, MS, Apple, or even BB does with their data. Many of us know better, and if the truth shatters your BB bubble utopia, well that's too bad. You don't need to use any of those apps and services or OSs if you don't want to, but that's no reason to think you are somehow superior to those who do. Those people simply have different priorities and made different choices than you did, and that's OK.
    06-02-15 05:13 PM
    "Yay! Android M has granular app permissions! Now our privacy is secure!!"

Granular app permissions or not, it's Google. If you think Google or any other tech company (especially companies as large and ubiquitous as Google and Apple) is going to allow you to completely shield yourself from advertisers, then you're living in a dream world. Everything is designed not only to make you aware of a product or service, but to also make it incessantly easy to buy that product or service through constant and pervasive notifications and "Buy Now" buttons in your emails, browser, HUD, VR headset, and whatever else.

This is the essence of consumer culture, folks. There needs to be a steady stream of people buying a product or signing up for a service through which they can then learn about and purchase other products and services. Repeat ad nauseum. Hell, the advertising industry objected to the VCR for crying out loud because it allowed people to pause out commercials. Now, mass media has gone beyond recordable formats to digital streaming with ads baked in - a perfect solution in which the industry colludes to allow people to be tracked and targeted. And people either can't or won't mount any meaningful resistance because they're too concerned about losing their "followers" on the latest social networking service. I mean, just today I read a new story about how Facebook will increase advertising through Instagram, and yet I have no doubt that people, though they may complain to a degree, will continue to use it. Perhaps because their narcissistic tendencies demand that they have followers, comments, clicks, and likes? I don't know, but I'm sure Facebook is making the correct calculation that they can drastically increase advertising without losing a substantial number of users. People are lethargic because the system has convinced them that the system was inevitable. It has destroyed its own origin and thus appears natural. This won't change absent of some sort of revolution.

**EDIT** See the post above (posted while I was typing out my own) for the PERFECT example of someone using the industry's very own talking points to defend the industry. Engaging in hyperbole (ads haven't killed you or your family) to argue that everything is okay, claiming ads targeted to your interests are better than ads not targeted to your interests (as if the existence of ads is a naturally occurring or inevitable phenomenon), and then claiming that we are actually "paid" with "free" products and services! No, Troy, we are not paid anything in return by these companies. And when you say that the Internet and TV are not solely based on ads, but then say that the services we use today have to be either ad-based or subscription-based, then you're saying that the Internet and TV are solely based on ads.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Captain_Hilts; 06-02-15 at 05:57 PM.
    thymaster, lift and gokulesh like this.
    06-02-15 05:44 PM

Granular app permissions or not, it's Google. If you think Google or any other tech company (especially companies as large and ubiquitous as Google and Apple) is going to allow you to completely shield yourself from advertisers, then you're living in a dream world. Everything is designed not only to make you aware of a product or service, but to also make it incessantly easy to buy that product or service through constant and pervasive notifications and "Buy Now" buttons in your emails, browser, HUD, VR headset, and whatever else.

This is the essence of consumer culture, folks. There needs to be a steady stream of people buying a product or signing up for a service through which they can then learn about and purchase other products and services. Repeat ad nauseum. Hell, the advertising industry objected to the VCR for crying out loud because it allowed people to pause out commercials. Now, mass media has gone beyond recordable formats to digital streaming with ads baked in - a perfect solution in which the industry colludes to allow people to be tracked and targeted. And people either can't or won't mount any meaningful resistance because they're too concerned about losing their "followers" on the latest social networking service. I mean, just today I read a new story about how Facebook will increase advertising through Instagram, and yet I have no doubt that people, though they may complain to a degree, will continue to use it. Perhaps because their narcissistic tendencies demand that they have followers, comments, clicks, and likes? I don't know, but I'm sure Facebook is making the correct calculation that they can drastically increase advertising without losing a substantial number of users. People are lethargic because the system has convinced them that the system was inevitable. It has destroyed its own origin and thus appears natural. This won't change absent of some sort of revolution.

**EDIT** See the post above (posted while I was typing out my own) for the PERFECT example of someone using the industry's very own talking points to defend the industry. Engaging in hyperbole (ads haven't killed you or your family) to argue that everything is okay, claiming ads targeted to your interests are better than ads not targeted to your interests (as if the existence of ads is a naturally occurring or inevitable phenomenon), and then claiming that we are actually "paid" with "free" products and services! No, Troy, we are not paid anything in return by these companies. And when you say that the Internet and TV are not solely based on ads, but then say that the services we use today have to be either ad-based or subscription-based, then you're saying that the Internet and TV are solely based on ads.

Posted via CB10
    Serious question

Would you pay for crackberry?

And your email, and mapping/location services, and all content/news/sports websites...

!
    LazyEvul, jmr1015 and Witmen like this.
    06-02-15 06:10 PM
    I'm going hiking next week along the Appalachian trail. No ads.

Z30something
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-02-15 06:11 PM
    There's a lot to be said for both Android and iOS. I've gotten to be quite familiar with Android, at least, from using a Samsung tablet for the past several months, and I provide "support" for a few family members with iOS devices, too. While I understand the appeal, I have to say I'm still really happy with my Passport.

BB10--to me, at least--has the best-looking UI, and in my own experience the most consistent. Neither Apple nor Google have successfully topped the Hub yet, and the typing experience even on the vkb BB10 models is still orders of magnitude better than anything available on Android or iOS.

There's things I'd like, for sure. BB10's Picture Password is cool but facial recognition or fingerprint scanner would make me happy, as would wireless charging (I don't get why they've offered that only for certain carriers). I'd love to have Google Play Music on my phone [Cool! Play Music Android app actually runs pretty decently! Even supports the BB media keys!]

We'll see how things go in the next year or so. Windows Phone is getting a LOT better, and I know BlackBerry will be hard-pressed to keep up with the competition as
    vtpmt81 likes this.
    06-02-15 06:32 PM
    the fact that google spies on you and does what ever it wishes with your info is enough to scare me, i need my phone to get work done not to be used as a middleman for god knows who
    thymaster, lift and gokulesh like this.
    06-02-15 06:36 PM
    Serious question

Would you pay for crackberry?

And your email, and mapping/location services, and all content/news/sports websites...

!
    Serious question - did you actually read what I posted? Because if you didn't, then I suggest doing so. If you did, then it's clear that you didn't understand it.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 06:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Since when did advertisements become this big bad thing? Don't get me wrong, spam email and intrusive pop-ups are one thing... But banner ads populating the fringes of websites (like this one) or short commercials you have to watch before consuming free content (YouTube, Crackle, etc etc) doesn't strike me as some huge evil plot or something.

And where do you think the money comes from to create content? To pay the actors and studios, to maintain the servers and networks and put satellites in orbit? You think it's cheap running a site like YouTube or Facebook? Or that studios produce shows for you to watch on TV for free because they're nice people? They make money from advertisers and sponsors. Ad revenue is a huge part of delivering content to you.

It sounds like you would do away with advertisements if you could. You know how many services and how much content would disappear overnight? How many companies would downsize or go under completely? Which in turn wouldn't be too great for BlackBerry, since they have this focus on enterprise, and I'm sure some of their corporate customers would disappear overnight as well.
    Last edited by jmr1015; 06-02-15 at 09:40 PM.
    mornhavon and SMocek like this.
    06-02-15 07:55 PM
    Since when did advertisements become this big bad thing? Don't get me wrong, spam email and intrusive pop-ups are one thing... But banner ads populating the fringes of websites (like this one) or short commercials you have to watch before consuming free content (YouTube, Cracke, etc etc) doesn't strike me as some huge evil plot or something.

And where do you think the money comes from to create content? To pay the actors and studios, to maintain the servers and networks and put satellites in orbit? You think it's cheap running a site like YouTube or Facebook? Or that studios produce shows for you to watch on TV for free because they're nice people? They make money from advertisers and sponsors. Ad revenue is a huge part of delivering content to you.

It sounds like you would do away with advertisements if you could. You know how many services and how much content would disappear overnight? How many companies would downsize or go under completely? Which in turn wouldn't be too great for BlackBerry, since they have this focus on enterprise, and I'm sure some of their corporate customers would disappear overnight as well.
    I did my doctoral program in mass communication, so of course I'm already aware of everything you just posted. Hell, I already understood it about 17 years ago when I began my undergraduate studies. Why would you think that I'm not, or that you're the keeper of some brilliant insight? Do I know where the money comes from for content? Do I think it's cheap to run websites? Do I think media companies make content free because they're nice people? If you were any more patronizing, I might mistake you for a Comcast or Charter spokesperson!

The problem (again, read my post) is that you and apparently many other people here are content with accepting things the way they are without asking so much as a single question as to why. No offense, but you sound like an apologist for corporate media conglomerates. "You like your movies and your reality TV and your sitcoms? Then get down on your knees and kiss the feet of the advertisers who make it all possible."

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and lift like this.
    06-02-15 08:13 PM
    What does this have to do with Flappy Bird again?

Z30something
    Soapm and MarsupilamiX like this.
    06-02-15 08:21 PM
    the fact that google spies on you and does what ever it wishes with your info is enough to scare me, i need my phone to get work done not to be used as a middleman for god knows who
    Hate to break it to ya, but BlackBerry does the same thing.

Has any of the privacy lovin' BlackBerry owners here read the terms of service from BlackBerry? Do you people not understand that BlackBerry uses your personal information to serve you ads in the same way that Google does? Here is a direct quote from BlackBerry's own terms of service agreement that every BlackBerry Messenger user has agreed too.

Advertising. When we display ads and other promotional or sponsored content within the Service, our goal is to provide content that is of interest to You. To do so, we may provide advertisers and third party ad serving providers (including ad networks and exchanges) with information, such as general demographic information, real-time location (e.g. GPS location, if you have opted to share Your GPS location with us) and IP addresses (e.g. for use in detecting click-fraud and identifying Your general location – e.g. city or country). This information is used to help provide You with more relevant content and to know how ad campaigns have performed (for example, how many people clicked on or viewed an ad, or installed an app after viewing an ad). We do not share information that personally identifies You (such as Your name or contact information) with advertisers or third party ad serving providers unless You give us permission to do so.
    BBM TERMS OF SERVICE

How is all of that any different than what Google and a lot of other companies are doing?

The only difference between BlackBerry and Google when it comes to your personal data is one company has made billions off of it while the other company is too incompetent to accomplish the same. Do any of you honestly think that BlackBerry wouldn't be making billions off of your data in the same way that Google does right now if they were capable of doing it?
    06-02-15 08:49 PM
    I did my doctoral program in mass communication, so of course I'm already aware of everything you just posted. Hell, I already understood it about 17 years ago when I began my undergraduate studies. Why would you think that I'm not, or that you're the keeper of some brilliant insight? Do I know where the money comes from for content? Do I think it's cheap to run websites? Do I think media companies make content free because they're nice people? If you were any more patronizing, I might mistake you for a Comcast or Charter spokesperson!

The problem (again, read my post) is that you and apparently many other people here are content with accepting things the way they are without asking so much as a single question as to why. No offense, but you sound like an apologist for corporate media conglomerates. "You like your movies and your reality TV and your sitcoms? Then get down on your knees and kiss the feet of the advertisers who make it all possible."

Posted via CB10
    You say the problem is many people are content with accepting things the way they are... and to the later portion, I agree. I disagree with it being a problem. I have little issue with "watching" commercials during TV and streaming content, or ignoring banner ads on the web. It makes providers money, and doesn't bother me much. I don't feel the need to ask why things are the way they are. It's fairly obvious. and it seems like a win/win to me. Is it mainly internet and TV ads that bother you? Or do you also take issue with billboards, magazine ads, or product placements in TV and feature films?

I think more people would be upset having to pay for everything, from subscribing to individual TV channels and radio stations, paying for email, navigation, and video streaming services, subscription-based Internet forums, higher ticket prices at movie theaters, more expensive magazines and newspapers, etc etc etc.

Since the current paradigm is such a problem in your opinion, did you have some alternative way for the evil corporate media conglomerates to produce and deliver content and services free of charge to the end consumer? Something that could be implemented without degrading the quality of content and services or destroying companies and jobs in the process would be best.
    mornhavon and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    06-02-15 09:00 PM
    Serious question - did you actually read what I posted? Because if you didn't, then I suggest doing so. If you did, then it's clear that you didn't understand it.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly...

Rebellion without out cause or clue

!
    06-02-15 09:03 PM
    Since the beginning. If there is an option to pay to remove ads, I use it, but it is not always available.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 01:47 AM
    It would probably only require looking at earnings reports, or platform specific events. Take the recent Google I/O. They showed 1 billion active users with 50 billion app installs. That averages out to 50 apps per user. Now I can't speak for Apple/iOS, but I don't imagine they're much different.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Hahaha oh God all that bloatware....
    You do realize that about 40% of the described apps are pre-installed bundles of crap don't you?
    Ahem #Chrome.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my BBZ30
    06-03-15 03:30 AM
    To be honest I always had some problems with apps on BlackBerry, started from 9900 with big problems, then moving to IPhone 5 and absolutely amazed with that phone (shame on me), after that I was trying to use Q5 but the problem with apps was to big. Nearly half year ago I accidentally get Z30 not for myself, and after trying to use it I was pretty satisfied and decided to live it for me, but still had some problems... now I have Passport and I have absolutely no problems with apps, only what I wish is to have some android apps from Snap on BB App Store as native.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 04:20 AM
    IMHO, app permissions do not equal overall security.

Posted via CB10
    Nor does it equal privacy and avoiding Google knowing everything about you.
    lift likes this.
    06-03-15 05:42 AM
195 ... 34567 ...