Yeah... You are completely misinformed as to how Google works. They don't do it by default, and claiming otherwise is just FUD based on your inexperience.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Every android device I ever played with (would never use one as a personal phone) took forever to make sure there was minimal data collecting going on. Don't tell me I am "inexperienced". I looked at your profile and it shows android only devices. If you love them so much I can't understand why you are here on CrackBerry.
    "Why must I be like that"
    miker476 and thymaster like this.
    06-01-15 04:20 PM
    I wholeheartedly agree that our personal data being sucked up and also stolen without our consent should be twarted as much as possible. On the PC side - as an example - AdBlock has been taken to court by advertisers. To make a long story short - the advertisers lost. There will come a time when privacy tools will become very efficient and protect users. When that time arrives - data mining companies will start paying for our personal info. As it stands now, we are part of the open ''data mining buffet'' and the buzzards are having field day.
    Google follows you around on just about any and every website. Just install a tool like NoScript or Ghostery and you'll see.

:-D

That's why started their new campaign to get people back onto the web where they rule and can place ("feed you") cookies and tracking beacons as they please... my guess.

Your data is valuable. Aggregate data is valuable. Every click and page view someone makes a few cents. Or more. Billions of times a day...

�   Wife currently leaping around for joy with her new toy....   �
    lift likes this.
    06-01-15 04:26 PM
    If you want the fact that you like Rice Crispy Treats kept to yourself, don't use Google. That's perfectly valid. Others don't find it life threatening so that's OK too. One is not right and the other wrong.

Z30something
    Tre Lawrence and jmr1015 like this.
    06-01-15 04:34 PM
    Every android device I ever played with (would never use one as a personal phone) took forever to make sure there was minimal data collecting going on. Don't tell me I am "inexperienced". I looked at your profile and it shows android only devices. If you love them so much I can't understand why you are here on CrackBerry.
    "Why must I be like that"
    I use much more than only Android devices, and I've used more than my fair share of BB devices. I've earned my spot as a user on this site (probably to the chagrin of many here). Your issues with Android are your own, because it doesn't reflect reality. I'd actually go as far to say you're spouting popular FUD.

Penned via Tapatalk
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    06-01-15 04:36 PM
    The one area where the iPhone fails is the size of font used by Safari. Has that changed ? I find that I can change the font for the BB10 browser so that I can read the page. Samsung is better than the iPhone as well. Major fail of the iPhone.
    06-01-15 04:44 PM
    3, 5, or 10? Not even close. Android and iOS users have around 50 on average. If you only have 3, 5, or 10, then that's only because you don't have many apps available to you. Whenever I upgrade to a new device (or upgrade the OS), I have over 100+ apps that automatically upgrade/reinstall with it. And yes, I use all of them often enough to warrant keeping them on my devices.

Penned via Tapatalk
    I used flagship Android devices for two years and I don't think I EVER had more then 10 apps at a time on them. Two of them were just for managing the hardware for better performance or battery life (SetCPU to dynamically overclock/underclock and TaskKiller for those peky background processes).

Not everyone needs a million apps to draw faces on pictures, apply light filters to their dinner photos, play silly ad-infested games, or have mobile version application portals instead of just loading the webpage (I'm looking at you, YouTube). I was what you would call a power user as well - all my droids were rooted, flashed with custom ROMs, overclocked, and running alternate launchers.

When BB10 released I RAN back to Blackberry and have been more then happy ever since. Even with Google Play store and patched services I only have a couple Apps that I use regularly...CB10, Clash of Clans, Paypal+Ebay for selling computer hardware and custom Decals, and my Discover and T-Mobile apps to pay those bills from my phone.

Yes, I have a couple others installed, but I never run them and honestly wouldn't notice if I deleted them...
    lift and thymaster like this.
    06-01-15 05:30 PM
    I used flagship Android devices for two years and I don't think I EVER had more then 10 apps at a time on them. Two of them were just for managing the hardware for better performance or battery life (SetCPU to dynamically overclock/underclock and TaskKiller for those peky background processes).

Not everyone needs a million apps to draw faces on pictures, apply light filters to their dinner photos, play silly ad-infested games, or have mobile version application portals instead of just loading the webpage (I'm looking at you, YouTube). I was what you would call a power user as well - all my droids were rooted, flashed with custom ROMs, overclocked, and running alternate launchers.

When BB10 released I RAN back to Blackberry and have been more then happy ever since. Even with Google Play store and patched services I only have a couple Apps that I use regularly...CB10, Clash of Clans, Paypal+Ebay for selling computer hardware and custom Decals, and my Discover and T-Mobile apps to pay those bills from my phone.

Yes, I have a couple others installed, but I never run them and honestly wouldn't notice if I deleted them...
    That's why he said "on average".

Z30something
    06-01-15 05:33 PM
    That's why he said "on average".

Z30something
    I have maybe 40 to 50 apps on my phone and everybody who sees my phone including our IT manager asks why I have so many. I don't use half of them.

I think that the 50 app average valuation is a little high. I don't count apps loaded with the operating system as part of the total.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 05:47 PM

Really? You go from 10 apps you used, then compared it to an unreasonable number of a million? First, let us get you grounded in reality. I mentioned 50 as an average. Sure, perhaps you only used 10. I have over 100. That's fine. But the overall numbers (1 billion active users with 50 billion app installs) demonstrate an average of 50 apps per user. And to be quite honest, if you were utilizing a "task killer" app, then you were one of THE most uninformed Android users. Task killer apps are the absolutely worst and last apps you should be using.

Penned via Tapatalk
    06-01-15 05:49 PM
    I have maybe 40 to 50 apps on my phone and everybody who sees my phone including our IT manager asks why I have so many. I don't use half of them.

I think that the 50 app average valuation is a little high. I don't count apps loaded with the operating system as part of the total.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. While I like to try new apps I hear about, I end up deleting a lot of them. I would say I have about 10 I use on a regular basis. Obviously a lot of people use more though.

Z30something
    06-01-15 05:50 PM
    Really? You go from 10 apps you used, then compared it to an unreasonable number of a million? First, let us get you grounded in reality. I mentioned 50 as an average. Sure, perhaps you only used 10. I have over 100. That's fine. But the overall numbers (1 billion active users with 50 billion app installs) demonstrate an average of 50 apps per user. And to be quite honest, if you were utilizing a "task killer" app, then you were one of THE most uninformed Android users. Task killer apps are the absolutely worst and last apps you should be using.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Is that apps installed or apps kept/used? I've probably installed over 100 but only kept 10 or so. These numbers can be deceiving sometimes.

Z30something
    06-01-15 05:53 PM
    Google follows you around on just about any and every website. Just install a tool like NoScript or Ghostery and you'll see.

:-D

That's why started their new campaign to get people back onto the web where they rule and can place ("feed you") cookies and tracking beacons as they please... my guess.

Your data is valuable. Aggregate data is valuable. Every click and page view someone makes a few cents. Or more. Billions of times a day...

•   Wife currently leaping around for joy with her new toy....   •
    I am aware of some of the tools that are available - Adblock was an example that is getting under the corporate skin of web advertisers. I also use Browserprotect, Ghostery, NoScript and the list goes on. I enjoy using Lightbeam and watching the relationship of the ''watchers''. I agree that Google is now showing new colors to users to lure them in their fold and make more money. The only way to stop this attitude from data collectors is to stop their revenue stream. If no money can be made - they will move on to real jobs
    lift likes this.
    06-01-15 06:11 PM
    I'm sure many could state specific scenarios. Some will be one time installs, one time use, and discarded. But at the same time some are installs that are used continuously. I myself have over 100 always installed that see continuous use. So you pretty much have to take the anecdotal evidence (despite it being the latest Term-O-The-Month on this forum) and draw conclusions from the Law of Averages. 1 billion users with 50 billion app installs is pretty hard to argue with. Arguing otherwise is pretty much desperate rationalization.

Penned via Tapatalk
    I'm not arguing that 50 Billion have been download, I just don't think nearly that many are used or even still installed. In fact I would bet it's less than 50%. No doubt apps are big on Android and iPhone though.

Z30something
    06-01-15 07:03 PM
    Yes agreed but sorry the new Microsoft 10 phone is going to blow all the phones out of the water especially when it comes to business apps and phone. Sorry Blackberry been with you to long and let down more times than i can count. Godd bye see ya woud'nt want to be ya
    06-01-15 07:48 PM
    Yes agreed but sorry the new Microsoft 10 phone is going to blow all the phones out of the water especially when it comes to business apps and phone. Sorry Blackberry been with you to long and let down more times than i can count. Godd bye see ya woud'nt want to be ya
    That was said about the last couple/few iterations of window's attempts. How far did those go?
    jmr1015 likes this.
    06-01-15 07:51 PM
    OP, you reminded me why I liked BBOS. It was intuitive and made sense. it did the expected thing instead of having to think and tinker to get what you want.

Ex. Today I had a VVM so I hit view then tapped the VVM and it called the person instead of playing the message. I never could figure out how to play that message so I ended up in the hub.

These little things annoy me since I was driving at the time and would like a phone that does the expected and doesn't take thought to operate.

I haven't used another phone since the two way pager days but BB10 has me seriously considering trying the competition.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 08:01 PM
    Well, we'll see on July 29th I guess. I do hope Windows 10 is successful though. Right now it's my second favorite OS besides BlackBerry.

Z30something
    06-01-15 08:04 PM
    This thread needs a little lightheartedness. Since apps are being discussed I thought this was appropriate:
    06-01-15 08:11 PM
    Well, we'll see on July 29th I guess. I do hope Windows 10 is successful though. Right now it's my second favorite OS besides BlackBerry.

Z30something
    July 29th is only the launch for the PC version of the OS - Windows 10 Mobile isn't coming until later this year. It does look quite promising though, I have to admit. I'm hoping my Lumia 1020 still gets the update, I'd love to give it a try.
    06-01-15 08:14 PM
    Ok, now everybody needs to just

a little bit.
    grover5 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    06-01-15 08:26 PM
    This thread needs a little lightheartedness. Since apps are being discussed I thought this was appropriate:
    Nah... you want light heartedness? This is where it should go... (sorry, wanted the SNL version but the video quality was kinda crummy to post)...

Last edited by DenverRalphy; 06-01-15 at 08:38 PM.
    06-01-15 08:26 PM
    Actually, wouldn't it be interesting to do a survey to see how many on average apps is being used by people on different mobile OS?
    I would guess maybe 30 ~ 50 on average for Android and iOS, maybe 15 ~ 25 on Win 8.1 and 3 ~ 10 on BB10.
    What y'all think?
    I have over 80 on my z30. Had to delete some because I was running out of memory.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 08:32 PM
    July 29th is only the launch for the PC version of the OS - Windows 10 Mobile isn't coming until later this year. It does look quite promising though, I have to admit. I'm hoping my Lumia 1020 still gets the update, I'd love to give it a try.
    You're right. I at least get to try it on my laptop!

Z30something
    06-01-15 08:35 PM
    Nah... you want light heartedness? This is where it should go... (sorry, wanted the SNL version but it was kinda crummy to post, funnier but video quality sucked)...

Steve Martin is awesome. I love that act.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-01-15 08:36 PM
    You've actually seen how the other 99% live. As you know, at this point BlackBerry is only interested in how their phones can support their business customers. BlackBerry's consumer market pretty much consists of diehard BB fans and those they manage to convert as well as a few others who hate Microsoft and want anything but Android or Apple phones.
    I think this is a flaw in their strategy, the business customer is equally a consumer and since no one works 24x7, they want a device more like a mullet. Business in the front and party in the back. But this isn't new, the market has been telling BB this for years but they won't listen and stick with this "security" and "enterprise" strategy. Even the top executives want WSJ, Stock trading and the gadgets they play with. No matter how business you make the BB, eventually management caves to the unhappy workers and so now you see those same enterprises moving away from BB and the employee's are happy campers...
    06-01-15 08:49 PM
195 1234 ...