08-02-12 10:02 AM
29 12
tools
    I just want to go on record and say that I have never had to replace a BlackBerry device since I have owned one. My wife and I have had two 8300s, two 9700s, and I currently have a 9860 and 9900, all procured either at or shortly after release. It's possible that I have just been lucky, but I felt the need to make a positive statement about my experience with BB hardware. Too much negativity here lately.

That is all. Carry on.
    08-01-12 10:25 AM
    I have being using blackberries for 8 years and same here never replaced one. !!!!
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    08-01-12 10:28 AM
    neither do i, people who dont know how the world works or on som eimaginery power trip does that.
    08-01-12 10:31 AM
    I would say the samething. I've been a BB user since 07. The only one I had to replace was my 9550 because I dropped it and it caused the screeen to crack, so that doesn't really count as a replacement . Never have any of my devices have had any hardware or software problems. Not even my PlayBook which I bought at launch. We must be the lucky few who were meant to have BB's
    08-01-12 10:34 AM
    I returned my first 9930 after it died on me twice.

Been using BBerries since 2004. I recognize a faulty device when I see one, and that was one.
    08-01-12 10:46 AM
    no issues with all my previous bbs; except i had to replace the trackball on my bold 9k after a year of heavy use...

am i lucky? considering that mostly everyone i know who own blackberrys have the same experience: no im not lucky at all. it's the norm.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    08-01-12 11:25 AM
    I just want to go on record and say that I have never had to replace a BlackBerry device since I have owned one.
    Me neither

8110 > 9500 > 8900 > 8520 > 9700 > 9780 > 9790 > 9900

Only one of each, most of the latter being pre-release models... and still going strong today!
    08-01-12 11:32 AM
    Same for me as well. Storm worked well but got replaced by the Storm 2, which I never had any issues with. I still have it as a back up. Bold 9930 and Torch 9810 both bought on launch day an both work well. However, I did downgrade my 9930 to OS 7.0 because of the call muting issues and Media Device in use issues I was having. BB seems to be working well now.
    08-01-12 11:32 AM
    Me either and that's with owning a tour, notorious for trackball issues, and a 9850, getting known for button issues. Both still have no issues.
    08-01-12 12:04 PM
    I've never owned a Pearl Flip, Tour, or Storm (arguably RIM's least-reliable devices ever), and I can admit that clearly I've been lucky with my 9900. I recognize that a lot of folks had battery issues at launch, and apparently there are still some quality issues out there with the 99xx devices. (@Qbnkelt, your Bold was clearly cursed. I hope it dies in a fire.) I guess maybe I'm still BlackBerry By Choice at least partially because I have never experienced a personal, demonstrable failure of any RIM device I've ever owned. BlackBerry has been rock solid for me. Even the crappiest OS loads I've tried still *worked*, just not as well as I was used to. High performance creates high standards, and BlackBerry still meets mine. It doesn't blow them away like it used to, but it's nowhere near driving me to another platform, either.

Yeah, I'm a fanboi, but I'm not blind or stupid, either. I have no qualms about switching teams when one has let me down. BlackBerry does everything I need it to, and darned near everything I want it to, and does it pretty frakking well, so I'm sticking with it until it doesn't.
    08-01-12 12:23 PM
    me either. My entire family use to be all BlackBerry users (1 sister recently went Galaxy S3, & the other is planning iPhone 5 )

In our family the only one who had to replace their phone was my mom. After she dropped it into a pot of boiling soup the charger connector had issues & You had to hold it a certain way to charge. It's worth noting that that same phone had previously been dunked into a lake & still worked.

One of my sisters use to have an origional Storm. She had to send it back a couple times while she had it because of the famouse screen issues. (warantee repairs)
    08-01-12 12:47 PM
    I've used Blackberrys since 2005. None had to be replaced!
    08-01-12 12:58 PM
    Never had to replace any of my phones but did have a problem with my Playbook. I dropped my phones a lot and never had any issues props to Rim.
    08-01-12 01:02 PM
    I'm probably quite an unlucky guy. hahaha. I've sent in a couple of BlackBerry devices already. 9360 for my trackpad, 9900 for the double spacebar issue, bold 9000 for keyboard malfunction, PlayBook for charging issues. Well, but its not isolated to BlackBerry devices. I had a HP ipaq winmo phone that died almost immediately out of the box. Then my iPhone had issues with wifi. Then my macbook pro suffered a catastrophic graphics card failure (thankfully it was a known defect and Apple replaced it for me even out of warranty). iPod nano 1st gen, with the known battery defect. Galaxy Note with charging issues as well. Even feature phones like motorola v3 and v8, and sony ericsson back in the days. I probably still have quite a few more that i missed out. But normally after 1 visit to the repair centre, they all work perfectly. hahaha. i guess twice is the charm for me.

So if you ask me which brand is more reliable???? i honestly can't give you an answer. ;p All i can say is, that there's no perfect manufacturing process. There are bound to be a few defects here and there. And somehow, most of them ended up here with me. hahahaha.

But i actually still have more faith with BlackBerry devices, partly because they seem to be able to take abuse in the long run. And then the other part, is because i have had nothing but good experiences at the repair centres. All BlackBerry sold in my country are covered under warranty for 2 years, which is the duration of a mobile contract (awesome). Then, they often go the extra mile when servicing my products. They don't just repair the parts that i'm having issues with, but also the exterior of the phone. For example, my bold 9000, keyboard issue, but they changed all the exterior parts for me as well. It looks like a brand new set when i got it back. My 9900, same thing, replaced all the exterior parts. Looks brand new when i got it back. My 9360, the trackpad was faulty. I'm guessing the repair was going to take too long, or perhaps they discovered other faults, but they just gave me a brand spanking new set. Playbook same thing as well, it was probably going to take too long to fix, so they exchanged it for a new or refurbished set. I can't tell because it looks brand new.

hmm... yeah. my long post doesn't seem to have a conclusion. So i'll just make one up. "BlackBerry by Choice".
    rrrebo likes this.
    08-01-12 01:29 PM
    The 9780 line had a lot of units with keyboard stutter, which I believe was later corrected by OS compensation. I had to return one such unit. My carrier didn't even argue as they knew about it.
    08-01-12 04:41 PM
    I had a 8830 that was a tank. I had to have one replacement due to signal issues. After that, bad luck with BB hardware for me.

(4) Storm's
    (2) Storm2's
    (2) Bold 9650's

BB has not been a very dependable hardware choice for me. I don't abuse my phones. Since I have had to replace my first Android once and have not had issues with my 4S in 9 months.

Each person has his/her tolerance for issues and luck. No phone company produces 100% rock solid hardware. The uses and care vary too much and the technology is too complicated.
    08-01-12 05:33 PM
    9105- speakers broke day i got it
    9800- screen stopped working when phone slid up
    08-01-12 06:08 PM
    Me either, since 2007, I've owned a 8330, 9650, 9930 and a PlayBook. I've purchased my BlackBerry devices from Sprint or BestBuy and have had NO PROBLEMS, knock on wood ( knocking )
    08-01-12 07:19 PM
    I had to replace quite a few 9630's for various reasons -- trackball issues mainly, but one had a bad microphone, and a refurbished one had a large gap between the bezel and the body. This is of course right when Verizon quit offering a replacement device for having the same issues repeatedly. I actually swore off BB's due to the amount I had to replace, but once I got a good 9630 in hand it worked great for me.

My 9930 and PB have been working fine.
    08-01-12 08:12 PM
    8100-8320-8900-9700-9900
    Never had a hardware problem I didn't directly cause (water on 8320).
    I have repaired others 9700's.
    08-01-12 08:37 PM
    My 8330 was a stud. Got a 9330 and the speaker went bad. Made an insurance claim and they sent my a "new" out of a original VZW 9930 box.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    08-01-12 08:54 PM
    never replaced an of the BBs i have owned. Actually never got any of my smartphones replaced.
    08-01-12 08:58 PM
    I believe build quality is as good as anyone if not better however I also believe since OS 5 the development of the OS platform has been very disappointing. If I could put the 9000 on my 9900 I would do it like a shot (I know that doesn't make much sense).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-02-12 02:11 AM
    I reckon all electronics can fail for various reasons. That said, RIM's hardware is quite respectable in terms of build and abuse-proof. Only second to Nokia's feature phones perhaps that you need to drive over to break.

I started with a Curve, and then 9700, 9800, 9900 and have two PBs. None had any issue except the poor 9800 which suddenly shut itself down and never charge again. That was replaced, and the replacement unit had the sliding screen replaced again due to trackpad issue I think. Cursor keeps moving like it was possessed!! Now I have been rocking the repaired 9800 for like 1.5 years with no problem. Love it. Big screen with trackpad.

I do know a guy who ruin any electronics he touched whether phone, tablet or PC. He has his BB replaced like every 3 or 4 months. I am convinced something wrong with his magnetic field.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-02-12 05:15 AM
    My Blackberries could probably survive a nuclear war, but I'm not sure...
    08-02-12 06:39 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD