Hey all-

I had an awesome idea for a blackberry app today. I'm not going to go into details about it.. i know you developers are reading

Should I hire a developer to create this application for me, then try to sell it? who would I sell the application to? Is there money to be made if my application goes over big?

If i try to sell it myself, I know i probably won't be able to reach a significant portion of the bb community. Once I get the application developed, what should I do next?
    05-19-08 11:01 PM
    Pitch your idea to a company that already develops BB apps.
    05-19-08 11:14 PM
    haha yea look at im+ app
    they made millions
    05-19-08 11:16 PM
    Pitch your idea to a company that already develops BB apps.
    how can I make sure they don't just steal it? in other words, how can I make the idea "mine"?
    05-19-08 11:18 PM
    Why don't you tell us what it is? Then we'll tell you if it's a good one.
    05-19-08 11:49 PM
    your idea prolly sucks anyways. just tell me and I will take care of it.
    05-19-08 11:50 PM
    Let Us Have It, What Is It?!?!?
    05-20-08 12:35 AM
    how can I make sure they don't just steal it? in other words, how can I make the idea "mine"?
    I have always wondered the same thing, i hope someone here has an answer for this...and please don't say patent it. It's such a joke to get around it. I know esoteric would just be trying to get someone to buy his exact already setup version whereas a big company after hearing his idea could just create their own that is marginally different.
    05-20-08 12:45 AM
    If you think you idea is worth it, have it patented before trying to sell it to a developer

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 12:46 AM
    Go to Nolo
    05-20-08 01:00 AM
    Hey all-

I had an awesome idea for a blackberry app today. I'm not going to go into details about it.. i know you developers are reading
    First thing you should do is confirm that it doesn't already exist, or if it does, yours would be significantly better. What might appear to be a great idea to you, may not to people you think you are going to sell it to. You'd be surprised at how many projects end up this way. =)

Should I hire a developer to create this application for me, then try to sell it?
    Well, if you aren't a developer yourself, then you really have no other option but to try to hire one (or more). Of course, now you are talking big bucks, either to have developers on staff, or to try to convince one to take a fixed fee with perhaps some percentage. However, generally you will find that this is not so easy. An idea is worthless unless you can execute it.

who would I sell the application to? Is there money to be made if my application goes over big?
    If you are asking who would you sell your product to, then you are not yet finished developing your idea. You might want to read some books on marketing first. This is one of the first things you have to identify... who is your target market. Your price, product, & promotion determines if you make money.

If i try to sell it myself, I know i probably won't be able to reach a significant portion of the bb community. Once I get the application developed, what should I do next?
    Like any other product, you can either open your own store (in this case a web store), or you can use established distributors whom charge you a percentage (generally large) for the privledge of being on their "shelf-space" (virtural in this case), in their various sales channels (various channel partners).

You can worry about all that later, when you have a product, but you best think about cost of development vs. return on investment. In other words, if it's going to cost you $100K to develop, and you sell five(5), then are you going to be able to charge $40K each (to make a profit)? In other words, are you estimating sales at 5, 1000, 1 million?

Software is not cheap to develop. Good luck.
    05-20-08 05:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD