Currently i'm stationed on a offshore oil rig. There is no cell service and only 2 phones for eveyone to use, + you have to pay for the minutes. Not cheap either. (so yesterday) Enter BBM Voice. Seen as ALL my family and my girlfriend use BlackBerry, BBM Voive has just become the most valuable app on the phone. Thank you RIM! The service has been near perfect! one or two droped calls in 30 or so, to be blamed on a poor or overloaded wifi signal anyway. Even with a low signal = 2 bars the service works great! The sound quality is fantastic! I was the one that made sure everyone in my network knew this was now available, EVERYONE is stunned by the quality of the service. Nice Job!!
    12-29-12 09:35 PM
    Me too. I absolutely love that RIM added that feature to BBM.
    12-29-12 10:02 PM
    What advantages do you see that it has over other services like Skype? I haven't tried BBM Voice yet but am curious...
    12-30-12 08:01 AM
    Awesome Dapper, I agree 100%.
    12-30-12 10:20 AM
    I haven't used it extensively yet but the calls I have made are nice and clear. Now the trick is to get all my non tech family and workgroup to upgrade their bbm and then understand the concept.
    12-30-12 12:01 PM
    What advantages do you see that it has over other services like Skype? I haven't tried BBM Voice yet but am curious...
    The main advantage that it has over skype is that it works on our BlackBerry. No other advantage but I do believe that the call quality is the best i've used! crystal clear and i'm calling from the other side of the world to back home. I'm impressed.
    Once BBM Video hits for BB10 with screen view the only advantage skype has is being cross platform. Currently I find the video chat on my playbook to have better video quality than on skype with the same wifi. Not bad at all.
    12-30-12 04:55 PM
    I haven't used it extensively yet but the calls I have made are nice and clear. Now the trick is to get all my non tech family and workgroup to upgrade their bbm and then understand the concept.
    I found it very easy to help others understand, its intuitive. They only have to touch the green phone icon in the same page view that they would be sending someone a BBM. Everyone I know was like wow, cool. Thats so easy!!
    12-30-12 04:58 PM
    Yea it's amazing how many people don't upgrade their phones
    12-30-12 09:02 PM
    Currently i'm stationed on a offshore oil rig. There is no cell service and only 2 phones for eveyone to use, + you have to pay for the minutes. Not cheap either. (so yesterday) Enter BBM Voice. Seen as ALL my family and my girlfriend use BlackBerry, BBM Voive has just become the most valuable app on the phone. Thank you RIM! The service has been near perfect! one or two droped calls in 30 or so, to be blamed on a poor or overloaded wifi signal anyway. Even with a low signal = 2 bars the service works great! The sound quality is fantastic! I was the one that made sure everyone in my network knew this was now available, EVERYONE is stunned by the quality of the service. Nice Job!!
    Outstanding, real world review!

This type of user review needs to "get out" and start covering the globe.
    12-30-12 10:23 PM
    I haven't had much use for it yet other then just to test it out, but I can definitely see how it will be a benefit when i'm traveling out of the country, free calls back home using the hotels wifi and no roaming or long distance charges.. very cool!

I can see the Op's story being used in a RIM TV spot in the new year, only substitute BBM voice for BBM video, and the oil rig for military members posted overseas (sorry but it'll grab more attention) and the gf for an army wife with a newborn baby..
    alan510 and David in Durham like this.
    12-30-12 10:34 PM
    Glad people like you, who are unable to use phones at their leisure, have such a useful tool. I wish I had people to BBM with haha Nobody I know has a BB, unfortunately.
    12-30-12 11:55 PM
    BBM Voice has been a much needed update but ive not had the best experience with it.

I have always got great wifi signal and yet the calls drops after 30 seconds most of the time and lately I haven't even been able to "establish a connection" to use BBM Voice when everything else is working fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    12-31-12 12:15 AM
    Glad people like you, who are unable to use phones at their leisure, have such a useful tool. I wish I had people to BBM with haha Nobody I know has a BB, unfortunately.
    Hang in there Don! after Jan30 thats sure to change!!
    donmateo likes this.
    12-31-12 12:15 AM
    Im in the same situation as you eh=( but im using dell voice and it sucks!!!
    12-31-12 01:02 AM
    Yea it's amazing how many people don't upgrade their phones
    Lots of BB out there are issued by employers and users can't install a thing...sadly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-31-12 01:13 AM
    BBM Voice has been a much needed update but ive not had the best experience with it.

I have always got great wifi signal and yet the calls drops after 30 seconds most of the time and lately I haven't even been able to "establish a connection" to use BBM Voice when everything else is working fine.

Most likely it got something to do with your local network setting (ie.QOS or lack thereof) unless you have tried other services like Skype or Viber without any problem.

12-31-12 01:17 AM
    Most likely it got something to do with your local network setting (ie.QOS or lack thereof) unless you have tried other services like Skype or Viber without any problem.

Skype works perfectly on my Laptop.

But when i do have this problem everyone else on my bbm has it too and the same connection issues I have around 200 bbm contacts.

12-31-12 09:13 AM
    I'm hoping the next bbm update allows bbm voice calls to be made over a 3g network.
    12-31-12 09:26 AM
    Is called blackberry magic, its pretty awesome because now, if some people even want to stay on blackberry 7, they can still at least have some form of non-chat communication with a person that has jumped to blackberry 10.

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    Dapper37 likes this.
    12-31-12 10:36 AM
    I'm hoping the next bbm update allows bbm voice calls to be made over a 3g network.
    I dont think they want to go toe to toe with the carriers at this point, if Rim regains marketshare + increases value added aspects for the carriers, that will be the time it happens. That could be 2 or 3 years out IMO. No doubt they could do it now, better to do it when they're on firmer ground! not standing on a rug thats ready to get pulled out from under. PlayBook Bridge and ATT comes to mind.
    12-31-12 05:31 PM
    Is called blackberry magic, its pretty awesome because now, if some people even want to stay on blackberry 7, they can still at least have some form of non-chat communication with a person that has jumped to blackberry 10.

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    So true ichat! this app has increased the value of any BB7 device!
    12-31-12 05:33 PM
    Best feature they added since BBM first came out.
    Dapper37 and Lehomer like this.
    12-31-12 05:34 PM
    Best feature they added since BBM first came out.
    BBM music is pretty awesome too...and the music gateway! All are amazing.

I'm excited that 3 of my iphone friends are planning to get bb10L at launch. My bbm buddy list will continue to grow and I'll be able to use bbm voice with them as well! None of them ever owned a bb and now they'll get the best one.
    12-31-12 06:34 PM
    I had the opportunity to use bbm voice today and it worked flawlessly. Voice quality was very good. This bbm voice call was domestic and I assume it will work as well internationally. Now I need my international bbm buddies to update their devices so I can save some money on my international calls.

Bob
    12-31-12 08:01 PM
    I had the opportunity to use bbm voice today and it worked flawlessly. Voice quality was very good. This bbm voice call was domestic and I assume it will work as well internationally. Now I need my international bbm buddies to update their devices so I can save some money on my international calls.

Bob
    Send them out a broadcast BBM with a link to the update. Tell em to getter done .)
    12-31-12 08:05 PM