I'm sorry in advance for a weird topic... But I just feel like I'm stuck, along with a lot of other people, in the cell phone world. It seems like a confusing time with apps and all, and certain competition going on between manufacturers and carries. It seems like both take so long to actually do what they say they're going to do. I'm tired of waiting for the "next big thing" and of drooling over the next model to come out, only to find myself waiting, and waiting for it. All this talk about 6.0 is making me upset because we barely know anything about it! I like my bold 9000, but I need something fresh and new. I love the OS, but talk about another one just makes me feel like this one is outdated.. Although I love blackberry and my device, I find myself in need of more. I don't think I'd switch to android or iphone, but I was shocked that android grew so fast. There are apps to let you modify anything and everything you want, and I wish blackberry was like that. Does anyone feel the same as me, or agree with anything I say?
    03-01-10 09:48 PM
    I agree all the way!!! Android got big quick, but with a name as big as google it was pretty much destined to get a lot of attention. I also wouldnt switch to android or iphone. although if i had to it would be android all the way!!
    03-01-10 09:55 PM
    advancing technology has done this to mankind forever. it has always made previous things obsolete, and the newest things will only be "new" for so long before something else comes along. its just the way it is with any technology. we just need to accept it.

personally, i dont stress over needing the best and newest thing. like i stated, it too, will become easier to obtain as time goes by. and i also dont care that there are apps for an iphone that make it look like im chugging a beer or what android phones can do. i enjoy my blackberry the way it is. i dont wanna fret of the small things, especially apps, as they arent the main reason i use the blackberry i own. when an upgrade comes along, ill get it. but im not gonna get all pissed off while waiting for it.
    03-01-10 09:56 PM
    many of us feel the same way but all we can do is wait. it is up to rim to act and set the record straight. i have heard rim os being outdated so many times that i have a set of bells clinging towards my ears. we have been given a slice of things to come from rim- a new webkit browser. android is the popular flavor for many right now since as you said it lets you modify anything and everything you desire. i think we will have to wait a little while for 6.0. but everything blackberry requires the consumer's patience. if you can't be, then its better if you just walk away from rim's blackberry world.
    03-01-10 09:57 PM
    My .02-yes RIMs OS/UI is a little stale. Ive owned almost every model they have made. Ive even gone to WM and Palm seeking that "perfect" device. Guess what? Its not out there. iPhone does media very well, Berries are in a class by themselves as far as IM and emails. WM has it's strengths. The thing is I ALWAYS come back to Blackberry-always. To me, they are the most user friendly devices out there. Im not chomping at the bit for a new device, Im very satisfied with my 9700. Will I try a new Berry if it comes out with many improvements? Yes, but until then Im rockin this 9700-happily.
    03-01-10 10:06 PM
    I have tried an iphone and couldn't do it. Modifying my device to be, well, mine is a must for me. BB allows me to in many ways, and the notifications for blackberry are superior than any other type of device I have ever seen. When I tried an andriod device, I liked the modification, and the app store had things I actually could use on a daily basis (unlike iphone, IMO) but android's messaging and e-mail capabilities seem confused.

I don't believe android or iphone take communication into consideration first, like blackberry does. Messaging and voice are obviously a huge factor in a phone, and recieving messages and e-mails promptly. iPhone, to me, seems like just a toy.
    03-01-10 10:12 PM
    advancing technology has done this to mankind forever. it has always made previous things obsolete, and the newest things will only be "new" for so long before something else comes along. its just the way it is with any technology. we just need to accept it.

personally, i dont stress over needing the best and newest thing. like i stated, it too, will become easier to obtain as time goes by. and i also dont care that there are apps for an iphone that make it look like im chugging a beer or what android phones can do. i enjoy my blackberry the way it is. i dont wanna fret of the small things, especially apps, as they arent the main reason i use the blackberry i own. when an upgrade comes along, ill get it. but im not gonna get all pissed off while waiting for it.
    I agree with you, but I find since smartphones are becoming what flip phones were three or four years ago, there is much more to expect. A lot more. It has opened up huge possibilities for a small device, but blackberry has had these things since the beginning.
    03-01-10 10:15 PM
    I guess Im old school, I like the simple look of the BB OS, this is one of the reasons I recently went with a BB phone, it has a nice, simple, classy look to it imo.
    03-01-10 10:19 PM
    I guess Im old school, I like the simple look of the BB OS, this is one of the reasons I recently went with a BB phone, it has a nice, simple, classy look to it imo.
    Does 12:00 still flash on your VCR too?....
    03-01-10 10:31 PM
    I agree with you, but I find since smartphones are becoming what flip phones were three or four years ago, there is much more to expect. A lot more. It has opened up huge possibilities for a small device, but blackberry has had these things since the beginning.
    By your comments it appears as if you think RIM is prescient, and I'm afraid they aren't. They developed on a need for instant communication. Everything else has been an add-on based on recommendations and requests and seeing what the competition is doing. Even the Android was not innovative, just an iPhone with an open architecture. It will take another pretty big leap for anyone to come up with a platform that will take the current lineup of smartphones and make them obsolete, and even then, do we have the infrastructure to support it? Look what the iPhone has done to ATT in the NY and SanFran areas. Even today, the infrastructure cannot support these devices to their full capability. Today's computers are excellent examples. The current i7 processor has virtually no software that can take advantage of its strengths. Video cards that have 1 gig or more of ram, but no game can take advantage of all the hardware strengths. Are they coming? Sure they are, just as RIM's software is coming. And as soon as it arrives, someone will create a post, asking "Why can't I do XXX or YYY?" It never ends unfortunately.
    03-01-10 10:54 PM
    I agree with what you are saying but what amazes me is that everyone started with these posts at once. A year ago you wouldn't see so many treads explaining why people are leaving or what people are so disappointed with. Now you see a new thread popping up everyday. I guess users just want the newest and greatest technology. Sadly RIM isn't giving us anything but 3.2mb cameras and 624mhz processors when the competition is giving phones out with 5mb and 1ghz processors. In the future I see RIM loosing a lot of market share and I see stuff like the Android and Meego/Maemo OSs getting a lot of market share. Personally I won't be waiting for OS6 to come out to BlackBerrys as I am sure it will disappoint. The future browser will also not live to its hype and I don't like RIM's attitude towards the carriers telling them it's ok to bill users by MB. I don't give a **** how much data my phone uses. It's my providers problem to give me a good reliable service and invest in innovative technology. Mobile use will not go down and wireless network will need to get a lot stronger. Google has a more open view in smart phones and not to mention the resources to build what people want and so far people are happy. My next phone will likely be an Android or a Meego. Technology is changing quickly and companies like RIM who can't keep up will not succeed.
    03-01-10 10:59 PM
    I'm sorry in advance for a weird topic... But I just feel like I'm stuck, along with a lot of other people, in the cell phone world. It seems like a confusing time with apps and all, and certain competition going on between manufacturers and carries. It seems like both take so long to actually do what they say they're going to do. I'm tired of waiting for the "next big thing" and of drooling over the next model to come out, only to find myself waiting, and waiting for it. All this talk about 6.0 is making me upset because we barely know anything about it! I like my bold 9000, but I need something fresh and new. I love the OS, but talk about another one just makes me feel like this one is outdated.. Although I love blackberry and my device, I find myself in need of more. I don't think I'd switch to android or iphone, but I was shocked that android grew so fast. There are apps to let you modify anything and everything you want, and I wish blackberry was like that. Does anyone feel the same as me, or agree with anything I say?
    cannot but agree with you.
    03-01-10 11:07 PM
    Messaging and voice are obviously a huge factor in a phone, and recieving messages and e-mails promptly. iPhone, to me, seems like just a toy.
    Do tell how the iphone is a toy? It does email just fine, in fact looks better (and HTML) than Blackberry and has Exchange/Gmail push email. It does texting just like any other phone, MMS, and MANY good IM programs (which dont cost $30+, more like under $10 or free).

Opinions are fine but calling something a toy just because makes zero sense when it does the same things. The "communications" argument for BBs make no sense because dumb phones do the same types of communications too now a days- IM, twitter, facebook, mms, sms, email, etc.

You may PREFER how BB does its communications, but to say its "more of a communications device" is laughable at best when every smartphone and even dumbhones do the same types communications. This isnt 1995 anymore when RIM and the Treo are the only 2 real email/communications devices.

I agree with what you are saying but what amazes me is that everyone started with these posts at once. A year ago you wouldn't see so many treads explaining why people are leaving or what people are so disappointed with. Now you see a new thread popping up everyday. I guess users just want the newest and greatest technology. Sadly RIM isn't giving us anything but 3.2mb cameras and 624mhz processors when the competition is giving phones out with 5mb and 1ghz processors. In the future I see RIM loosing a lot of market share and I see stuff like the Android and Meego/Maemo OSs getting a lot of market share. Personally I won't be waiting for OS6 to come out to BlackBerrys as I am sure it will disappoint. The future browser will also not live to its hype and I don't like RIM's attitude towards the carriers telling them it's ok to bill users by MB. I don't give a **** how much data my phone uses. It's my providers problem to give me a good reliable service and invest in innovative technology. Mobile use will not go down and wireless network will need to get a lot stronger. Google has a more open view in smart phones and not to mention the resources to build what people want and so far people are happy. My next phone will likely be an Android or a Meego. Technology is changing quickly and companies like RIM who can't keep up will not succeed.
    Agree!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-01-10 at 11:14 PM.
    03-01-10 11:07 PM
    Do tell how the iphone is a toy? It does email just fine, in fact looks better (and HTML) than Blackberry and has Exchange/Gmail push email. It does texting just like any other phone, MMS, and MANY good IM programs (which dont cost $30+, more like under $10 or free).

Opinions are fine but calling something a toy just because makes zero sense when it does the same things. The "communications" argument for BBs make no sense because dumb phones do the same types of communications too now a days- IM, twitter, facebook, mms, sms, email, etc.

You may PREFER how BB does its communications, but to say its "more of a communications device" is laughable at best when every smartphone and even dumbhones do the same types communications. This isnt 1995 anymore when RIM and the Treo are the only 2 real email/communications devices.

Agree!
    well summed up.
    03-01-10 11:28 PM
    people dont use those anymore.
    03-01-10 11:47 PM

I'm sorry if I worded it in a way that might upset you for some reason. I don't see blackberry putting commercials out that say "there's an app for that". What I meant when I said that is that iphone is known for its applications. Yes, over 100k... BUT most of those are games or entertainment, NOT for productivity or utilities. Is there an iphone messager that goes beyond typical sms? No. Do they have a good way of text notification, email notification? No. reminders, leds? No. Pop up replies for texting? No. Others do. Multitasking, which BTW allows for better communication possibilities. And I'm sure you are well aware that blackberry has silently offered multitasking for a while. An iphone against a berry for communication? Are you joking? Bb hands down. I'm not trying to sound rude at all, and this isn't what my topic was about, but you can't say that a blackberry doesn't trump the iphone in messaging and so on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-10 11:54 PM
    people dont use those anymore.
    Yes... Civic was being sarcastic.

As for the topic, RIM can skip the fancy cameras, flashy GUIs, superfluously fast battery killing processors and the rest of that junk for all I care. I don't want to use a device that treats me like I'm some kid with ADD. It's not the phone itself that matters to me, but rather how I use it.

03-02-10 03:06 AM
    VCR? What's that?
    03-02-10 07:15 AM
    Until Android and Iphone can deliver a phone that can last a full day on a single battery charge, I'm not going to leave my 9700. I'm a Student and have a full-time job, so I'm never home. When I'm not streaming ESPN in the morning, I'm surfing the web and chatting on Beejive while listening to Slacker. This is from 5 AM until I come home around 10 PM. One stock battery, no car charger.
    03-02-10 10:14 AM
    I think people just need to be happy with what they've got. It sounds like just about everyone is conditioned by advertising to need the "next big thing". Just ignore it, who cares? When your device works perfectly for you then there is no need for something different.

I grew up without TV and I have to say, I'm pretty resistant to ads and media. I tried to have TV a few years ago and it made me angry just watching commercials so I got rid of it. I spend more time researching specs than following the shiny bouncing ball.
    03-02-10 10:36 AM
    i agree all the way!!! Android got big quick, but with a name as big as google it was pretty much destined to get a lot of attention. I also wouldnt switch to android or iphone. Although if i had to it would be android all the way!!
    i too agree, however, look at every company you have seen both globally and locally that has gone big quick. What happens more often then not, is they are out of business or sucked up by a larger company soon after launch. For me it is a wait and see, i too look forward to the next great device or the next great os, but im also a little skeptical when it comes to new things. Ive wanted a tour ever since it was announced, being a long time sprint customer we dont get new cool phones very often, but when it dropped in july of last year, i waited just like i will wait and see about the new os.
    03-02-10 10:53 AM
    What's a VCR? Lol
    03-02-10 11:11 AM
    I think people just need to be happy with what they've got. It sounds like just about everyone is conditioned by advertising to need the "next big thing". Just ignore it, who cares? When your device works perfectly for you then there is no need for something different.

I grew up without TV and I have to say, I'm pretty resistant to ads and media. I tried to have TV a few years ago and it made me angry just watching commercials so I got rid of it. I spend more time researching specs than following the shiny bouncing ball.
    I'm not happy with what I have and neither are a lot of BlackBerry owners. It took RIM 3 years after the competition had already released a good browser. RIM is making all their phones look the same, I don't have mail which has been sent from the computer on my phone, I don't have more then 3 good apps, I can't customize my phone other than load theme, and most of all I hate being out seeing and trying out other people's phones and realizing that their phones can do so much more than mine.

How can you say the people need to be happy with what they have? What would happen to innovation? The thing that bothers me from your comment the most is that I'm not sure you have used many other smart phones other than a BlackBerry. Try a Nokia N900 or even just look at some youtube videos of the phone and tell me if that phone doesn't impress you and makes your BlackBerry seem ancient, old, terrible, and just simple bad.

I don't change phones because of advertising I change phones because there simply is something better out there. I know about phones a while before they are available. Right now I haven't switched because I'm not entirely sure where to go. By summer I should know what phone ill be getting but for sure it won't be a BlackBerry for the simple reason that they haven't done anything innovative in a very long time and the consequence in that is that their phones now suck.

03-02-10 08:13 PM
    I'm not happy with what I have and neither are a lot of BlackBerry owners.
    Cry me a river. That's your problem, not RIM's. No one put a gun to your head and forced you to spend your money on BlackBerrys. I don't know what you're trying to prove by posting here if you already made your decision to switch to another phone. Do you go around, complaining about how you don't like Chinese food if you don't plan on going to a Chinese restaurant ever again?

03-02-10 08:39 PM
    Cry me a river. That's your problem, not RIM's. No one put a gun to your head and forced you to spend your money on BlackBerrys. I don't know what you're trying to prove by posting here if you already made your decision to switch to another phone. Do you go around, complaining about how you don't like Chinese food if you don't plan on going to a Chinese restaurant ever again?

Did you bother to read why I said I don't like my BlackBerry any more? Did you bother to read what other people have said on this thread? Did you realize this thread was for discussions of why people are bored and annoyed with their BlackBerrys and they aren't sure where to go. Read the OP's post. Just so you know it is RIMs problem. They lost 2% market share last quarter alone and more and more people are leaving RIM for the competition. Anyway my post was directed at the person I quoted who had said that people have to be happy with what they've got.

If you want to see my original response to this thread it's the 11th post.
    03-02-10 08:58 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD