The smartphone market is becoming like the PC market. Saturated and slowing. Most people don't buy flagship PCs because mid to low-end PCs do everything they need just fine. They also don't buy a new PC every year, but keep them 5+ years. Advancements in PC technology are also more iterative and incremental.

That's what's happening with smartphones. Fewer people are buying flagships because mid and low-end phones do everything they need. And they're keeping phones longer - more than 2 years. And gone are the days when every annual smartphone release event reveals ground-breaking, breathtaking advancements in smartphone technology.

The iPhone 7 and Google Pixel look very similar, have many of the same features, and are at the same pricepoint. Yawn.

Only a handful of major players can remain competitive in such a market. An OEM trying to break into this market is going to have to release a product that turns the industry on its ear and shakes things up in order to attract attention and interest and hope to move enough handsets to break even, let alone make a profit.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    blackmass and PantherBlitz like this.
    10-07-16 08:08 AM
    Now that is some deal.
    Wonder just how many ads wud d users b bombarded with
    Btw, such a deal, like the blu-amazon, wud defy the very purpose of the erstwhile blackberry users.
    10-07-16 08:11 AM
    amazon did that with Blu... you can buy it at 199 ish. You Can Get a $50 Phone From Amazon, If You Don?t Mind the Ads - Bloomberg
    BB is launch lawsuit regarding Blu stealing BB IP...
    Thing is a good portion of the suite isn't really about BLU and hardware, it's about software and Android in general, and will probably spill over to involving BlackBerry's new best buddy... Google.

BLU was an easy target as they are US based, and probably not in a position to fight this battle effectively... unless Google sees this as a threat.
    10-07-16 08:13 AM
    The smartphone market is becoming like the PC market. Saturated and slowing. Most people don't buy flagship PCs because mid to low-end PCs do everything they need just fine. They also don't buy a new PC every year, but keep them 5+ years. Advancements in PC technology are also more iterative and incremental.

That's what's happening with smartphones. Fewer people are buying flagships because mid and low-end phones do everything they need. And they're keeping phones longer - more than 2 years. And gone are the days when every annual smartphone release event reveals ground-breaking, breathtaking advancements in smartphone technology.

The iPhone 7 and Google Pixel look very similar, have many of the same features, and are at the same pricepoint. Yawn.

Only a handful of major players can remain competitive in such a market. An OEM trying to break into this market is going to have to release a product that turns the industry on its ear and shakes things up in order to attract attention and interest and hope to move enough handsets to break even, let alone make a profit.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    This the reason that bb has cut out of hardware.
    In another 2 years or so, the software will become the ONLY differentiating factor.
    I think the pixel phones will turn out to b a blunder .
    The target audience for iPhone & Nexus r totally different. Users who dont want customization go for the iPhone whereas the one wanting to run their phones their way want Nexus. By copying iphone, Google is trying to woo its buyers into buying a 'customisable iphone' at a higher price than the Nexus.
    Had i been one of the potential nexus users, i wud hav gone moto z - almost stock Android at a lower price.
    Last edited by blackmass; 10-07-16 at 08:39 AM.
    10-07-16 08:23 AM
    In another 2 years or so, the software will become the ONLY differentiating factor.
    The target audience for iPhone & Nexus r totally different. Users who dont want customization go for the iPhone whereas the one wanting to run their phones their way want Nexus. By copying iphone, Google is trying to woo its buyers into buying a 'customisable iphone' at a higher price than the Nexus.
    Had i been one of the potential nexus users, i wud hav gone moto z - almost stock Android at a lower price.

I agree I'm not as impressed with the Pixel phones as I was the last set of Nexus devcies - still great phones, just not who and it's that cheap. And it probably will end up being a slight blunder for Google (and a disaster for HTC). But the iPhone is really the only other player on the board now, so that's who they are going after.

Google wants 100% of the smartphone OS market, not just 86%....
    10-07-16 10:50 AM

It makes more sense now, y electronics makers like Samsung r developing, rather trying to develop, their own Os.
    Google is now in a mood to pitch Android against Android & of course against iPhone.
    Anyway, still waiting for dteks/ mercury/ licensed.
    10-07-16 11:58 AM
    I
    bring it on: Google has until Oct 31 to reply to EU's Android antitrust charges | Daily Mail Online
    10-07-16 12:27 PM
    This would be similar to making a sandwich and leaving the kitchen, going back for some chips and leaving again, heading back once more for a drink and then leaving, returning a final time for some desert and leaving, coming back a final-final time to grab a napkin and then leaving...

Basically, it would be easier just to make the entire meal all at once and take the whole of it with you. I imagine the same principle applies to batches of phones: that is, it's far easier to make them all (or at least a bunch of them) and then start selling, as opposed to continuously having to make more and more.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-07-16 05:50 PM
    There's no way Google will sell less phones then all the BB10 devices combined.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    10-07-16 06:56 PM
    Not hard to understand if a product line can't even sustain the average variable costs it will get shut down long-term.

The hardware business saw their sales decrase constantly which meant BB lost money because of it.

A low volume doesn't cover up the costs of R&D, coding, designing aso...so not a hard decision at all
    10-07-16 07:26 PM
    "How much for one rib?"
    Lmao

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 11:12 PM
    My guess, they tried to follow in Apples footsteps. Making phones that where 2 years behind everyone else. The issue, BlackBerry users aren't apple users, they didn't want a phone with old specs. They wanted a new phone, with new specs.
    10-08-16 01:04 AM
    I understand that you can't make 100 million handsets and only have 10 million customers. That would be a disaster, BUT why can't BlackBerry make say example 30,000 handsets and see what happens? Make a ridiculously low number that way a that number would be easy to sell out the worst that could happen is have patiently waiting customers for the next batch of handsets to be made. Apple always has a waiting list but for the opposite reason but that doesn't mean BlackBerry can't do it on a way smaller scale
    I'm sure most of us would rather wait in a waiting list for the new BlackBerry rather then BlackBerry completely exit the hardware.

Is it as simple as BlackBerry not flooding the market with unsold handsets that they seem to Always do?

Posted via CB10
    I just dont understand questions like this. Either you are very young or you know nothing about business
    10-08-16 03:07 AM
    I just dont understand questions like this. Either you are very young or you know nothing about business
    I wouldn't criticize most people on the forums for either being "very young" or knowing very little about business. Honestly, most people here make ridiculous statements about business, marketing, financial projections, profit margins, and so much more. Most people also like to speak in very general terms. I like when people ask questions because that's how we learn. OP, ask all the questions you want. I think some people gave some very thoughtful responses.

Posted via CB10
    Sairos likes this.
    10-08-16 05:16 AM
    This won't happen unless Blackberry goes Vertu's way.

But it'd be nice to dream of a sapphire-glass titanium PKB Blackberry.
    10-08-16 05:29 AM
    Try making a poll and see what folks think about that idea.

"How many would buy a discounted phone if the trade-off was Amazon ads on your lockscreen that can't be bypassed or blocked?"

I think the answers would be illuminating.
    The thing is the lock screen can be changed. I have a amazon edition moto g4 I installed Next lockscreen by microsoft and I don't get ads on the lock screen. You cant uninstall the amazon apps (not that I want to I love amazon) though.

The amazon ads if you shop amazon alot can be a benefit. I switched lock screens because I wanted more functionality.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-08-16 05:35 AM
    It would cost to much money to build "a few" handsets vs a lot

HA! I got a Priv
    10-08-16 05:43 AM
42 12