These analysts predicting that BlackBerry is going to give up on there hardware.....what kills me is Android, and apple don't have nothing that comes close to BlackBerry...I mean I've used both, and I'm sorry I just really enjoy using BlackBerry it really helps you get work done, and play so really I don't understand thank you

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:50 AM
    There is almost zero marketing towards consumers in regards to BlackBerry. Chen is focusing on software and businesses. Hardly any carrier support too. We have Android devices at home and used to have Apple, and husband has an iPhone 6 for work. So, I too am very familiar with the three platforms and am glad to have the option to CHOOSE a BlackBerry as my daily driver. It will suck if I have to switch.

Posted via Classic
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-26-15 07:00 AM
    Unless good progress is seen (like right now) then one would think that BBRY will need to still continue cutting costs, and as much as a bunch of us really like our BBRY built devices they are a constant financial burden on their books quarter after quarter. They have already farmed out some newer devices and may have to do the same or adopt another manufacturer's product.

No matter how much we love something unless it is financially viable sooner or later a bailiff is going to show up if you can't make those payments and love them or hate them those Wallstreet players sometimes are right (small % all be it).
    03-26-15 07:04 AM
    As strained as this metaphor may admittedly be, there was huge resistance among many when it came to leaving horses behind and adopting automobiles, and even today, there are tiny pockets of people who use horses as their primary means of transportation. But the horse industry in the US is a very tiny fraction of what it was 100 years ago, because virtually everyone has moved on, and a great many business that had supported the horse-based industry were put out of business, and a few changed with the times and found ways to add value to cars and trucks instead.

The history of business is full of stories of once-industry-leading companies going out of business, being bought out, or just becoming far smaller and far-less-significant businesses because technology changed and that company didn't keep up. The vast majority of those companies never recovered, because recovering from that kind of mistake is nearly impossible. For every "Apple" success story there are 10,000 failures.

As the story goes, when horse-based businesses were failing left and right, the last few coach-builders and buggy-whip manufacturers were the ones who gave the most value, had the highest quality and/or the best price. But it didn't matter - when that market dried up, it dried up. How many wagon wheel manufacturers are there today, and what are their revenues? How many carriages? It's a tiny business today, but a huge business back then.

And unfortunately, smartphones, by their very nature, require a ton of R&D just to stay current, and below a certain sales threshold, you simply can't turn a profit. BB is perilously close to that threshold if not below it already. Short of a significant turn-around, which is unlikely for a number of reasons (lack of ecosystem, lack of advertising, lack of carrier support, badly-damaged brand name, etc.), the hardware business isn't going to survive. That's just fact.

I've said several times that I don't even think that's Chen's goal, and never really was. I think BB already knows that hardware is doomed, but they are stalling for time in order to get Plan B up and running, which is pure Software and Services. BES as the MDM, BB services on iOS and Android, and QNX for whatever they can do with it. Until those are up-and-running, BB has to appear to be committed to the hardware business, because Software and Services isn't generating very much revenue at the moment, and many of the products aren't ready yet, much less rolled out. Once they are, I believe BB is going to shut down hardware, reduce staff (aka eliminate everyone on the hardware side of the business) and will be a smaller, leaner Software and Services company that will be profitable.

That's good for investors and fans of the company, but fans of BB devices are not going to be happy. But Chen wasn't hired to make device fans happy, but to make investors happy.
    JeepBB, vbdwork and bangonroofing like this.
    03-26-15 04:15 PM
    As strained as this metaphor may admittedly be, there was huge resistance among many when it came to leaving horses behind and adopting automobiles, and even today, there are tiny pockets of people who use horses as their primary means of transportation. But the horse industry in the US is a very tiny fraction of what it was 100 years ago, because virtually everyone has moved on, and a great many business that had supported the horse-based industry were put out of business, and a few changed with the times and found ways to add value to cars and trucks instead.
    Not to mention the railroad industry. There was a big push to convince the populace based on "scientific evidence" that a train couldn't transport people faster than 35mph because the human body couldn't withstand those speeds. Despite a rider on a fast horse could already exceed that speed.

Via Tapatalk
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-26-15 04:27 PM

The history of business is full of stories of once-industry-leading companies going out of business, being bought out, or just becoming far smaller and far-less-significant businesses because technology changed and that company didn't keep up. The vast majority of those companies never recovered, because recovering from that kind of mistake is nearly impossible. For every "Apple" success story there are 10,000 failures.

As the story goes, when horse-based businesses were failing left and right, the last few coach-builders and buggy-whip manufacturers were the ones who gave the most value, had the highest quality and/or the best price. But it didn't matter - when that market dried up, it dried up. How many wagon wheel manufacturers are there today, and what are their revenues? How many carriages? It's a tiny business today, but a huge business back then.

And unfortunately, smartphones, by their very nature, require a ton of R&D just to stay current, and below a certain sales threshold, you simply can't turn a profit. BB is perilously close to that threshold if not below it already. Short of a significant turn-around, which is unlikely for a number of reasons (lack of ecosystem, lack of advertising, lack of carrier support, badly-damaged brand name, etc.), the hardware business isn't going to survive. That's just fact.

I've said several times that I don't even think that's Chen's goal, and never really was. I think BB already knows that hardware is doomed, but they are stalling for time in order to get Plan B up and running, which is pure Software and Services. BES as the MDM, BB services on iOS and Android, and QNX for whatever they can do with it. Until those are up-and-running, BB has to appear to be committed to the hardware business, because Software and Services isn't generating very much revenue at the moment, and many of the products aren't ready yet, much less rolled out. Once they are, I believe BB is going to shut down hardware, reduce staff (aka eliminate everyone on the hardware side of the business) and will be a smaller, leaner Software and Services company that will be profitable.

That's good for investors and fans of the company, but fans of BB devices are not going to be happy. But Chen wasn't hired to make device fans happy, but to make investors happy.
    I am a huge BlackBerry supporter, since the curve 8310. I've had most of the devices since then. Unfortunately as a BlackBerry fan, I do agree with you. I think the hardware days are numbered.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-26-15 04:38 PM

Check the "Closed" Club

http://closedclub.org/

A ton of failed start-ups, their stories and the most valuable lessons that can be learned from them, so no one has to repeat them... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....   �
    03-27-15 02:44 AM

Agreed. Though I remain a tad hopeful that their hardware business manages to survive. I really like this Passport and don't see me moving anywhere for the moment.

(P.S. as I typed "for the" the Passport auto suggested "iPhone", oh the irony)

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX, JeepBB and RH1Pearl like this.
    03-27-15 03:21 AM

Troy, I think you are spot on, being a blackberry user here in the USA means being isolated with no support from my carrier T Mobile.

As much as I am a loyal fan, I would much rather buy a Samsung device or a iPhone running a Blackberry OS10 skin that would provide me with features like the Hub, peak and the Calendar app.

That way, if I do have an issue, I will have device and carrier support from one of the two biggest Titans on the block. It's sad to have to think like this, but in this highly competitive market, that's just the way it is.
    03-27-15 03:38 AM
    Not to mention the railroad industry. There was a big push to convince the populace based on "scientific evidence" that a train couldn't transport people faster than 35mph because the human body couldn't withstand those speeds. Despite a rider on a fast horse could already exceed that speed.

Via Tapatalk
    Reminds me of some things in here

Tools not not toys.
    You can only be productive on a BlackBerry.
    iPhones are for teenage girls.
    Android is for nerds who live in the basement of their mother.

The degree of irrationality seems similar.

Agreed. Though I remain a tad hopeful that their hardware business manages to survive. I really like this Passport and don't see me moving anywhere for the moment.

(P.S. as I typed "for the" the Passport auto suggested "iPhone", oh the irony)

Posted via CB10
    Who would have thought that we would share the same opinion for once :O
    JeepBB and RH1Pearl like this.
    03-27-15 05:52 AM