Agreed on this one about Skype being terrible in general.
    On Android, it's ridiculous to see how many people are having issues every time it gets updated -- breaks so many features, lags more, and so fourth. You'd almost swear they don't test what they release.
    Skype 4.0 does not lag on Android. It runs flawlessly as far as performance is concerned. I'm not sure what you're talking about. The app was rewritten from the ground up.

The issue with Statuses was fixed days later. The issue with Video Calling being disabled was fixed days later.

Performance is more than fine. It has better performance than i.e. Google's Hangouts App, for example.

BBM I'm waiting for it impatiently just cause I want to try it out and see what it's like. However, I doubt anyone I know will want to try yet another IM app (a lot of people are burnt out on these now) so it will probably be removed from my device within a day or so.
    rottonj likes this.
    07-11-13 02:05 PM
    I still haven't had it load successfully since it was released in BlackBerry World. Crashes, or hangs soon as the login sound happens. Why haven't I heard this happen to anyone else?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 10:16 PM
    I'm sure not blaming BlackBerry Ltd. for the abomination that is the Skype port. Wow, is it EVER taking long to get it working properly, too! It's been in "Preview" so long now. There are vendors who can go from zero to full working app in a matter of weeks!

I wonder: do vendors get information if I UNINSTALL an app from my device? As it is now, the only reason why the software is on my phone at all is for this rare (almost 'unlikely') scenario:

I'm away from home (where I could use Skype on my computer or use my land line).

I need to make an outgoing telephone call that is:
    - not urgent (if it was urgent, I can just use my regular cellular service)
    - likely to be more than a few minutes long (if it would be a short call it would only cost 50� worst case scenario)
    - during the day (I have limited daytime minutes)
    - outside of Canada on a WiFi connection (I don't want to pay outrageous roaming talk or data charges)

I think that might happen once a year.

That's exactly how useful the Skype port on BB10 is to me until it's native and stable. I'm not going to run Skype all day so my battery life is decreased by half or more just so I can MAYBE get an incoming skype call.
    07-12-13 10:22 AM
    You think having an android port is bad? Still no Skype on the Playbook.
    07-12-13 11:27 AM
    Can someone tell me WHAT BLACKBERRY LEARNED FROM THE PLAYBOOK?

Hard to believe that after two years, that the Z10 didn't launch with all of the key "made for BlackBerry" apps that users have been asking for the past two years!!!!

Never mind the whole you can't charge more for hardware when you don't have an ecosystem to support it....
    07-12-13 11:34 AM
    I'm sure not blaming BlackBerry Ltd. for the abomination that is the Skype port. Wow, is it EVER taking long to get it working properly, too! It's been in "Preview" so long now. There are vendors who can go from zero to full working app in a matter of weeks!

I wonder: do vendors get information if I UNINSTALL an app from my device? As it is now, the only reason why the software is on my phone at all is for this rare (almost 'unlikely') scenario:

I'm away from home (where I could use Skype on my computer or use my land line).

I need to make an outgoing telephone call that is:
    - not urgent (if it was urgent, I can just use my regular cellular service)
    - likely to be more than a few minutes long (if it would be a short call it would only cost 50� worst case scenario)
    - during the day (I have limited daytime minutes)
    - outside of Canada on a WiFi connection (I don't want to pay outrageous roaming talk or data charges)

I think that might happen once a year.

That's exactly how useful the Skype port on BB10 is to me until it's native and stable. I'm not going to run Skype all day so my battery life is decreased by half or more just so I can MAYBE get an incoming skype call.
    Skype as in Preview on Windows Phone 7.x longer than BB10 has been on the market back when it was released. Who cares?

BB10 isn't, and honestly shouldn't be, their highest priority.

While you were busy complaining about how bad the BB10 "port" is, they were busy rewriting the iOS and Android Apps. Maybe they're doing the same for BB10, but it will take longer because much of the code is new, not reused, under the hood...

Skype also took rather long to come to Android and achieve feature parity with the iOS version as well. This is how things work in this market. Don't act surprised (I'm assuming you are acting, cause anything other would blow my mind).
    07-16-13 09:41 PM
    You think having an android port is bad? Still no Skype on the Playbook.
    I doubt there will *ever* be a Skype for the Playbook, because RIM pretty much talked that device down into the grave. If it isn't there by now, I wouldn't expect anything.

And that's actually kind of a shame.

TBH, not even RIM gave good support to that device. They can't really blame 3rd party developers for paying little attention to it when they made it a bad deal with some of the glaring bugs and omissions the tablet launched with. I actually feel sorry for those people who paid full price for that tablet, when you can get something like a Nook HD for $129 right now with much better hardware (except no Cameras), or a Kindle Fire HD (or even Nexus 7) and make much more use of the hardware than the Playbook does.

I will probably snag an 8GB Nook HD this weekend because $129 for that hardware is a deal too good to pass up. Too cheap to ignore, especially now that it has Official Access to Google Play Store and Google Apps.
    07-16-13 09:45 PM
    While you were busy complaining about how bad the BB10 "port" is, they were busy rewriting the iOS and Android Apps.
    The Android version of Skype is terrible. The iOS version is pretty good, actually. My problem is that they took the terrible Android version and ported it to BB10 and its terribleness is even MORE noticeable on a superior communications platform, BB10, than it is on the already maddeningly barely acceptable Android platform.

So, take a freshly baked pillsbury crescent roll. Put it on a paper plate on a card table in an alley. Then, take that same Pillsbury crescent roll and paper plate and put it on the buffet table at the Four Season's. The staff would remove it immediately. Context is everything.
    07-16-13 10:56 PM
    I deleted Skype off my Z10.
    Didn't like it.
    Not a fan of ported apps

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 02:52 AM
    Of course in an ideal we would like a native version but...

After waiting for many years (Playbook days) for a Skype app, I'm grateful Skype threw the Blackberry community some android scraps and gave us something to keep us going for a little longer.

It can lag a little etc, at odd times video might not work, after a restart or two, it'll work just fine. Now I would prefer not to have these issues but we're not in a position to demand from Skype, as Blackberry haven't delivered on sales numbers (no attractive user base for Skype to bother).

Blackberry must get the people (reasonable market share), the companies (apps) will follow soon after (to monetize the user base).
    07-17-13 03:34 AM
    I appreciate people complain that we don't have a native skype app.. but let's be honest with ourselves, we have a Skype app that works.. on a blackberry! Loool..

Let's be happy with what we have

Posted via CB10
    Chicago777Guy and dusdal like this.
    07-17-13 03:47 AM
    I appreciate people complain that we don't have a native skype app.. but let's be honest with ourselves, we have a Skype app that works.. on a blackberry! Loool..

Let's be happy with what we have

Posted via CB10
    Completely agreed....it gets the job done fine.

Posted via CB10
    amjass12 likes this.
    07-17-13 08:43 AM
    Im unhappy.
    Yeah ***** people usually are.Sort your life out and improve it ******** wont change ****.
    07-17-13 10:59 AM
    I finally had a need for Skype, so I downloaded it tonight.

Works quite well!

A little lag, but not really bothered as I don't spend any time on the menus, just connect with the other person on video and hang up.

The video and audio quality is no contest compared to bbm video but nice to have the option.

In answer to the OP, I am VERY happy that the Android option was available when compared to the option of nothing.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:07 AM
    Skype works on my Z10 fine. And I'm happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal and amjass12 like this.
    07-18-13 02:51 AM
    Ah the lucky folks with 10.1...
    07-18-13 04:44 AM
41 12