I think that's a big tell... People would much rather have a descent quality port than not having an app at all.
    If BlackBerry cannot get any of top 20 apps they should convince developer to release a descent quality port.
    Native will come with the time as platform gains popularity.

Posted via CB10
    donmateo likes this.
    07-11-13 08:04 AM
    For the record:

I am unhappy that Skype is a port and I do not use it even though I was extremely happy when it arrived I find it so bad it might as well not be on the platform, and it's embarrassing to me that BB even promotes it, because it's so un-good. Yes, better than nothing, but just BARELY.

That's "one".

As I said elsewhere, communications apps that aren't native are not acceptable in the same manner that a game or other non-communications app would be.

Instagram port? Fine. Netflix side-load? No problemo. Candy Crush Saga sideload? If you like games that are designed to be impossible so you pay for the thing you need to complete the level, GO AHEAD, but communications apps that have to be running as a "live app" on BB10 to even function? UNACCEPTABLE, suck battery life, laggy, no contact-list integration: UGH.

Note that as bad as Skype on BB10 is, it's exactly the same as it is on Android. WHICH IS WHY I AM A BB10 USER NOT AN ANDROID USER, BECAUSE COMMUNICATIONS ON ANDROID IS A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE.
    07-11-13 08:06 AM
    Grain of truth. Though for me, the app is so bad that I barely use it because it lags and it is just easier to get on my laptop and use Skype.

Posted via CB10
    lorax1284 and bb10_fan like this.
    07-11-13 08:07 AM
    I want apps MADE for BB10. The End...
    07-11-13 08:11 AM
    i have used skype a couple times and it works fine for me. its no worse than using it on my PC. I think skype is terrible in general. I would rather have all native apps but if the port works ok then at least I have something until a native app arrives.
    07-11-13 08:19 AM
    I don't think most people would rather have it than not...folks at CB are fans and usually very tech savy...i don't think most customers care that much..they are unlikely to buy the phone because it has missing apps than because few apps that they need are bit laggy.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 08:21 AM
    Skype 4.0 works like a native app.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 08:32 AM
    How do you get skype 4.0?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 08:35 AM
    Using Skype on any platform makes me say, "Bring on ooVoo..."

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 09:13 AM
    It ran like garbage, drained my battery, and I removed it from my device. I am unhappy with the app as it works now and know why it is still a "Preview".
    howarmat likes this.
    07-11-13 09:23 AM
    That's why when BBM goes cross platform and eventually allows bbm video on IOS and Android it needs to be smooth as hell..

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 10:48 AM
    i have used skype a couple times and it works fine for me. its no worse than using it on my PC. I think skype is terrible in general. I would rather have all native apps but if the port works ok then at least I have something until a native app arrives.
    Agreed on this one about Skype being terrible in general.
    On Android, it's ridiculous to see how many people are having issues every time it gets updated -- breaks so many features, lags more, and so fourth. You'd almost swear they don't test what they release.
    07-11-13 10:55 AM
    I don't think most people would rather have it than not...folks at CB are fans and usually very tech savy...i don't think most customers care that much..they are unlikely to buy the phone because it has missing apps than because few apps that they need are bit laggy.

Posted via CB10
    a laggy experience on a customers top wanted apps isnt going to be a good experience though its frustrating and builds up a lot of annoyance when continually used knowing this is the best you'll probably get, and as you say an average customer wont be as bothered about if an app is native or not nor will probably even know if its a port or native so they will just assume that as its in blackberry world, blackberry apps are laggy. They wont think "oh its a port its no ones fault but skypes", theyll think "wow a top app and it runs horribly on blackberry and better on other platforms why cant they get this right? i need a more powerful phone"
    07-11-13 10:56 AM
    I think that's a big tell... People would much rather have a descent quality port than not having an app at all.
    If BlackBerry cannot get any of top 20 apps they should convince developer to release a descent quality port.
    Native will come with the time as platform gains popularity.Posted via CB10
    People will drink dirty water if it is the only water around. Doesn't mean its a good thing, or that they want it, but they are happy to have it.

I see the advantage of using Android apps to bridge the gap while BB10 gains traction, but I think it shoudl only be a stopgap measure, not a permanent solution (for major apps at least).
    bbaleno, rottonj and JeepBB like this.
    07-11-13 12:09 PM
    Both are bad choices but I think not having a top app is the worst option.
    Most people are ok with skype for now.
    I bet if you poll people will say that they will take Instagram port over no instagram at all.
    Quality of ports could be improved as BlackBerry improves the run time environment.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 12:11 PM
    Im unhappy.
    07-11-13 12:14 PM
    i would rather not have it since its so crappy. I tried to rely on it to work on my Z10 for one of our mod meetings and it failed miserably. If i didnt have it at all I wouldnt have wasted time trying to get it to work only to have to switch during the meeting to something that actually works.

Give me real BB10 apps made natively. I already have my nexus for the android apps I want and need. At this point i dont have all the apps on my z10 that i need even with sideloading.

Ooh and fix BB Link. the POS will never restore to my phone so I still cant use my Z as my primary device yet.
    07-11-13 12:16 PM
    There's a short term and there's a long term. In short term people will not buy phone if they don't have the apps and apps will not go native until they people on the platform.
    For short term they have to make use of what option they have - which is only one for these apps - port it.
    And longer term they have to get native. If they get people on the platform, native will come.
    BlackBerry is not in a position to demand. They are in position to accept and do the best with what they have.
    For those who don't want skype unless it's native which I think is a very small minority
    , it's a simple choice don't buy the phone or don't download the app.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 12:23 PM
    There's a short term and there's a long term. In short term people will not buy phone if they don't have the apps and apps will not go native until they people on the platform.
    For short term they have to make use of what option they have - which is only one for these apps - port it.
    And longer term they have to get native. If they get people on the platform, native will come.
    BlackBerry is not in a position to demand. They are in position to accept and do the best with what they have.
    For those who don't want skype unless it's native which I think is a very small minority
    , it's a simple choice don't buy the phone or don't download the app.

Posted via CB10
    If the experience is terrible using the ported/sideloaded apps, it's going to be even more bad impressions. People aren't going to keep coming back to a platform that has bad versions of the software thew need to use, especially when there are ones that run those programs perfectly.

Howarmat's story is a perfect example. Can't use his Z for a primary device yet. Now consider that same situation with a user who isn't so interested in BB, but tried a Z10. Do you really think they'll buy the next BB when they're upgrading next? Will they say good things when people ask them about their Z10? Probably not.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-11-13 12:38 PM
    If the experience is terrible using the ported/sideloaded apps, it's going to be even more bad impressions. People aren't going to keep coming back to a platform that has bad versions of the software thew need to use, especially when there are ones that run those programs perfectly.

Howarmat's story is a perfect example. Can't use his Z for a primary device yet. Now consider that same situation with a user who isn't so interested in BB, but tried a Z10. Do you really think they'll buy the next BB when they're upgrading next? Will they say good things when people ask them about their Z10? Probably not.
    I don't disagree...that's why I said both are bad choices...but you cannot break the loop by not having app at all.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 12:49 PM
    Would you rather by a phone that sales person says has no important Apps or the one which he says has most apps but some are bit laggy...pick your choice

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 12:51 PM
    Would you rather by a phone that sales person says has no important Apps or the one which he says has most apps but some are bit laggy...pick your choice

Posted via CB10
    I'd buy one that has all the apps and they run right. Can't ignore that option. ;-)
    07-11-13 12:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    why would anyone by that phone at all....they are many phones that have all the apps and arent laggy
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-11-13 01:00 PM
    And that is the problem...that's the loop they are in..
    I don't see any other option than utilizing Android ports to its full extent to get out of it...longer term it has to be native.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 01:53 PM
    why would anyone by that phone at all....they are many phones that have all the apps and arent laggy
    Yes but lot of people still want to buy BlackBerry because of many resoans...but not having apps like skype or payment app would push them over the edge...having a descent quality port might still keep them onboard until native comes along.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 01:55 PM
41 12