It is tiresome, once you get used to the gestures,on BlackBerry 10, it does feel ancient, using any of the competition in my opinion.

Android BlackBerry
    01-10-17 09:19 PM
    Move back to BB10

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 09:20 PM
    Move back to BB10

Posted via CB10
    I never left ;-) just dealing with reality, BlackBerry 10 is going to eventually fade into history..... sad.

Android BlackBerry
    garyf617 likes this.
    01-10-17 09:22 PM
    Keep in mind that the OP is referring to the Rolodex-style task switcher of standard Android, and NOT the multitasking screen of BlackBerry Android - which can be set to look exactly like BB10.
    Praganad likes this.
    01-10-17 09:24 PM
    Keep in mind that the OP is referring to the Rolodex-style task switcher of standard Android, and NOT the multitasking screen of BlackBerry Android - which can be set to look exactly like BB10.
    So you can set it to have open apps on homepage?

#luvmybb10os
    01-10-17 11:44 PM
    So you can set it to have open apps on homepage?

#luvmybb10os
    Unfortunately no. Android doesn't have an equivalent open apps home screen like bb10. But you can take the default rolodex task switcher and change it so that the open apps appear as cards like they do in bb10.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 11:49 PM
    Unfortunately no. Android doesn't have an equivalent open apps home screen like bb10. But you can take the default rolodex task switcher and change it so that the open apps appear as cards like they do in bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have a screen shot you could share with us?
    01-11-17 12:39 AM
    I ended up buying a new white blackberry pp recently for this same reasons I've outlined. looks like for the near future I'll be using both both devices but won't use the Droid unless it's absolutely necessary. It's a great device but it's deficiencies annoy the hell out of me. Scrolling up an down the rolodex looking for the app I need is truly a jarring experience.

Hell even windows phone does multitasking better an that's saying something. The novelty wore off for me with my droid z which I will rely on for the camera mod I got. I'll enjoy my new white pp as long as possible.
    Not sure what so complicated.

The most recent apps are on the bottom of the list.
    01-11-17 01:10 AM
    Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails I don't like Android multitasking-110166.jpg  
    01-11-17 01:17 AM
    Not sure what so complicated.

The most recent apps are on the bottom of the list.
    Yes I get that part. I just find it incredibly tedious to say the least. I'm not always looking for the last app I used and if I have around 12 cards opening u can guess how many swipes I have to do to reach the exact one and not over scroll. An yes I may get use to it but it doesn't mean I'll get use to enjoying it.
    silversmith75 likes this.
    01-11-17 01:45 AM
    Yes I get that part. I just find it incredibly tedious to say the least. I'm not always looking for the last app I used and if I have around 12 cards opening u can guess how many swipes I have to do to reach the exact one and not over scroll. An yes I may get use to it but it doesn't mean I'll get use to enjoying it.
    Move back to BB10 then.

The rest of us are quite happy with it.

I've never had an issue with the way it works.
    01-11-17 02:15 AM
    Make Android work for you, don't let it make you work. I have 37 of my most-use apps right here on the home screen, so switching between them is simply hitting the home button and a tap or swipe and then tap. I only use the task switch button for anything I have open from my app drawer.

I don't like Android multitasking-screenshot_2017-01-11-02-09-55.jpg
    01-11-17 02:15 AM
    If it's set up like the photo i posted there is no issue with over scrolling. Not to mention you can't even have 12 open at the same time on BB10. From what I recall it's limited to 8 Apps at onice is it not?
    01-11-17 07:27 AM
    For me, one of the essential measures of productivity on any device is the following sequence:

1) From inside app 1, switch to app 2
    2) Select and copy text/data in app 2
    3) Switch to app 1
    4) Paste data in app 1
    5) Close app 2

In BB10 I can task switch between open apps with a single compound "swipe-select" gesture in less than a second without having to locate the Home button or navigate the home screen. In fact, I can do it faster than the time it takes for BB10 to finish resizing the windows.

Say whatever you like about the virtues of iOS or Android, but BB10 offers superior usability in that use case in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto and Q10Bold like this.
    01-11-17 07:46 AM
    For all my complaints about the Android OS, I actually like the rolodex tiles part.... Go figure. I think the key there is to keep it trim and clean. I close out apps I'm done with right away (I would always do that on BB10 as well)
    01-11-17 07:47 AM
    For me, one of the essential measures of productivity on any device is the following sequence:

1) From inside app 1, switch to app 2
    2) Select and copy text/data in app 2
    3) Switch to app 1
    4) Paste data in app 1
    5) Close app 2

In BB10 I can task switch between open apps with a single compound "swipe-select" gesture in less than a second without having to locate the Home button or navigate the home screen. In fact, I can do it faster than the time it takes for BB10 to finish resizing the windows.

Say whatever you like about the virtues of iOS or Android, but BB10 offers superior usability in that use case in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    So a swipe up from the bottom to middle of the screen then tapping on another open app is so much faster then tapping the square and then tapping an open app? Some may argue it's actually faster on Android. Remember previous / open Apps looks exactly the same as active frames do unless you set them up to look different if you choose.
    01-11-17 08:09 AM
    So a swipe up from the bottom to middle of the screen then tapping on another open app is so much faster then tapping the square and then tapping an open app? Some may argue it's actually faster on Android. Remember previous / open Apps looks exactly the same as active frames do unless you set them up to look different if you choose.
    In principle, it's very similar. In practice, gestures are generally superior to specific buttons/controls because they are more ergonomic (for example, depending on the size of your habds/fingers, it may be natural or awkward to reach the square control, but the swipe-up gesture works for all normal hands.)

Speed is one factor, but another critical factor is "cognitive load" which is a fancy term for how much of one's attention is required to complete a task. With Android controls, the will vary from person to person based on their physiology and device.

That said, I agree with your basic point that Android is very usable now, and is also getting better with each iteration.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto likes this.
    01-11-17 09:08 AM

Speed is one factor, but another critical factor is "cognitive load" which is a fancy term for how much of one's attention is required to complete a task. With Android controls, the will vary from person to person based on their physiology and device.

That said, I agree with your basic point that Android is very usable now, and is also getting better with each iteration.

Posted via CB10
    For me it was just a matter of retraining my muscle memory. I do it without looking or thinking anymore.
    Tsepz_GP and eshropshire like this.
    01-11-17 09:12 AM
    Unfortunately no, I no longer have my DTEK60. But it is in the display settings. You can choose, rolodex, masonry, and tiles (BB10 equivalent). You can NOT swipe to, and away from, this screen like in BB10. You have to hit the home button to get off of it.
    01-11-17 10:52 AM
    Here you go.
    This is the default masonry view. If you go to display setting there are two more options for rolodex and tiles. Tiles look like BB10. All tiles are the same size which I found more user friendly. But as always with things like this, YMMV.
    01-11-17 10:54 AM
    Tiles:

Rolodex:

Masonry:
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    01-11-17 12:46 PM
    For me it was just a matter of retraining my muscle memory. I do it without looking or thinking anymore.
    I'm looking forward to finding out...someday...when I can't do everything I want with my trusty old Z10! I'm genuinely happy that BlackBerry is working so hard on its Android apps. And I'm glad people like you are Beta testing it for me. :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 02:27 PM
    Indeed.

I think some people just hate change, no matter how small, especially when it goes against e.g their OS of choice.

Ah well.
    eshropshire likes this.
    01-11-17 02:59 PM
    So to say the the marketplace spoke is not accurate the market place had know clue and bought what they were told. Bb10 is far superior to Android and ios yet people never really knew it was out there.

#luvmybb10os
    Consumers made their choices based on information that OEM's gave them, and they had little information about BB10. The blame for that solely rests at BlackBerry's feet. You can make the most advanced product anyone could ever use, but if you don't let consumers know about it(or enough to decide it's worth their money), you've not accomplished very much. Companies who understand that usually end up being successful companies.
    01-11-17 03:29 PM
    Indeed.

I think some people just hate change, no matter how small, especially when it goes against e.g their OS of choice.

Ah well.
    You're right. People do generally resist change. The important question when it comes to productivity is 1) whether the change represents a one-time "switching cost" or an ongoing process change; and 2) the total amount of effort and time required to use the new process/tool as effectively as the old one.

In the case of the swipe up on BB10 vs. the square button on Android to switch tasks, for most people it should be a relatively simple one-time switch with little ongoing difference in efficiency. But there may be users for whom that is not the case, if, for example, the distance their thumb or finger has to travel to the square button is simply awkward, so that they cannot task switch as comfortably in Android as in BB10, even after an appropriate amount of retraining their muscles.

That's very likely an edge case which will affect very few users, but my point is that ergonomics and usability matter a lot for high frequency tasks, more than many people realize. It's not as simple as just "getting used to be different way of working."

A good example would be the transition from text-based word processors like WordStar and WordPerfect to WYSIWYG word processors like Microsoft Word in the mid 1990s. MS Word was much more popular for low intensity writing such as short memos and other typical workplace tasks, and the ease of formatting in Word helped it win the market share war. However, it was never as efficient for rapid typing of long-form texts with minimal formatting requirements such as academic writing and legal briefs, so that the older, more efficient applications remain in use as niche products in certain industries.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 01-11-17 at 03:56 PM.
    01-11-17 03:45 PM
215 1234 ...