From an admin stand point 99 problems and the ain't oneApple has an enterprise solution damn near as robust and capable as BES.
    Depending on what flavour of BES, of course.
    06-28-12 09:56 AM
    Yes both on the Telus network. Could be my old Torch is just showing it's age, but all the guys at work have issues with dropped calls on our BB's. We have a mix of Torches, Bolds and Curves.

I'm not a huge fan of iTunes either but it works.
    Interesting, contrary to what is most often said.
    06-28-12 09:57 AM

I'm not a huge fan of iTunes either but it works.
    Can't argue that point. To be fair, a lot of the issues I originally had with iTunes have been eliminated as it has evolved.
    06-28-12 09:59 AM
    Yes both on the Telus network. Could be my old Torch is just showing it's age, but all the guys at work have issues with dropped calls on our BB's. We have a mix of Torches, Bolds and Curves.
    So you're comparing an older torch (9800?) to what was likely an iPhone 4s?

I cannot say if "the guys at work have OS7 devices" but I if they don't the comparison is pretty bad.

My personal experience and that of friends, taking into account the variance of carrier network reliability, BB has the least dropped calls.

So that's how iGet it.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-28-12 12:12 PM
    Yeah, contrary to what people will say here sometimes, the iPhone is a great device. Don't have to currently use one to know that.

If you can stomach iTunes (my pet peeve), it is one of the best converged devices on the market.
    Agreed.

Likewise, BB's are great devices too. But of course there are many who would not only disagree but would claim them to be the worst.

I wonder what would Apple be like if they didn't run things through Itunes.
    06-28-12 12:18 PM
    The company can also see
    • Phone call data: Date/time of call, number called/received, length of call
    • Text message data: Including the actual verbage of the text message
    • MMS message text: Can view the actual verbage included, but not any photos sent

That is just a bit of what can be seen. The link I posted in my earlier post explains everything a BES admin can see.

Well, I believe Balance will make this history ... as win-win environment "I (corp.) keep my data, You keep your privacy". And this is a nice promise, IMHO.
    06-28-12 12:23 PM
    Big brother is watching man
    06-28-12 02:07 PM
    As sharp as the 9930 is as a phone,...the camera is just crap. The 4S has maybe the best camera available on a phone.
    06-28-12 03:09 PM
    Big brother is watching man
    Always and don't we forget it!

As sharp as the 9930 is as a phone,...the camera is just crap. The 4S has maybe the best camera available on a phone.
    True dat on the iphone but not so sure the 9930 camera is crap.
    06-28-12 03:16 PM
    Always and don't we forget it!

True dat on the iphone but not so sure the 9930 camera is crap.
    The 9930 camera is decent. It sucks at taking pictures of text.

My 8900 camera is much better.
    06-28-12 03:18 PM
    Easy, people want apps. BB has no apps people actually want and need.
    06-28-12 03:22 PM
    Completely and absolutely agree on this!!!!
    06-28-12 03:29 PM
    My wife's company issues BB devices with data packages only. Voice you'd pay per minute, she has a feature phone for voice and junk. Her company is a large global company.

She uses it strictly for email. Luckily I was able to put Bridge on it for her to use it with the Playbook I got back in the day.
    06-28-12 03:31 PM
    i have been trying out the 9900 camera the last 2 days and i must say close up shots are just disgraceful. i know i can play with settings to make it better but still. The other shots are not bad from it. I cant believe RIMs choice on it.
    06-28-12 03:33 PM
    i have been trying out the 9900 camera the last 2 days and i must say close up shots are just disgraceful. i know i can play with settings to make it better but still. The other shots are not bad from it. I cant believe RIMs choice on it.
    Yeah i agree. Its like features are "either or" with RIM. One model cant have all the top features.
    06-28-12 03:36 PM
    Different strokes for different folks.

Here's a novel thought: Not everyone thinks like you or has the same needs and desires as you. I'm constantly amused by people who are genuinely incapable of understanding why other people don't do everything exactly the same way. "Wow, that guy has an iPhone/BB/Android? I hate those things! I can't think of any reason why this dude has one. He must be dumb!"
    06-28-12 07:45 PM
    I always carried two Blackberries. I wanted NO appearance whatsoever of improprietary or allow the snoops in our IS group to have a record of everything I did. It was a pain but I value my privacy - one of the things keeping me with RIM. I went to I Phone for a bit and came back. Android is a security nightmare
    AlienSlacker likes this.
    06-28-12 08:14 PM
    I always carried two Blackberries. I wanted NO appearance whatsoever of improprietary or allow the snoops in our IS group to have a record of everything I did. It was a pain but I value my privacy - one of the things keeping me with RIM. I went to I Phone for a bit and came back. Android is a security nightmare
    Not carrying a BlackBerry implies impropriety in your circles? Oh my.
    06-28-12 08:36 PM
    Not carrying a BlackBerry implies impropriety in your circles? Oh my.
    I think he means using a work BB for personal reasons might be considered improper at his employment.
    We frown on that in our agency. The work issued BB is for work. It's in the terms of use.
    But my agency is as restrictive as it gets.
    06-29-12 07:49 AM
    Take a look at what I believe the Blackberry is missing. Obviously you don't know what you're missing until you've tried something else...

My response to this post: http://crackberry.com/why-i-still-use-blackberry is in the thread, but I will rewrite it here.

I used to be an avid Blackberry user. In fact, I was a powerhouse Blackberry user, and have remember upgrading from OS 3.5 to 4.0 on a really old blue brick device. I have always demanded a lot from my Blackberrys and created ringtones and custom backgrounds from day one. I remember I got really excited with the Bold 9000 came out and for the first time I was really able to begin streaming music (although no applications existed) but I was able to download my podcasts at home OR outdoors. To me, those were the haydays of Blackberry. Unfortunately, really not too much has changed for Blackberry since 2009.
    Just before the 9000 came out, I went to the local Rogers store to play with the iPhone. I wasn't sure if I wanted one, yes I don't really like Apple, but I really wanted to have an open mind about it! My main gripes with the iPhone was that there was no copy and paste functionality, there was no "back" button (only a home button) and that I couldn't get my ringtones loaded onto it! Plus I didn't really want to use iTunes for anything... So I realized that it wasn't for me.
    From the 9000, I got a 9700, but couldn't justify going for a 9780, since there wasn't much difference than the memory. I really wanted a 9800, since I love having large screens. So in December 2010 I got that model, and I loved the keyboard. From that point my love for Blackberry was still very strong. The phone had a half-decent camera, but web browsing sucked, the keyboard really wasn't all that good, the battery wasn't very good (it couldn't last me a full day in the office, I have poor reception in the building I was working in), and there were a lot of features missing in the implementation. Things went pretty slow, but I was really used to all of that, it's what I'd come to expect. The only thing that was good, was the email functionality, but even so, my hotmail and exchange accounts weren't real-time since I didn't have BES running in the environment (i'm also a sysadmin).

One day my friend asked me to check out his new phone. It was a Samsung Nexus S running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). He came over and I played around with it for a little while. I have to admit that it was pretty cool, but I didn't really find it useful, espicially since there was no keyboard on the thing, I asked him "how the heck do you type on this", and his only response was that "you get used to it". (To this day, I still don't believe him). One day I was monitoring some of the other tech websites and came across a review for a phone called the "Droid 3". It was another Android phone, based on 2.3 (gingerbread) but this one was pretty high powered as it had a dual-core processor and a keyboard. I have since moved to watching monthly video podcasts from one of the websites I frequent, and unfortunately at the time, they didn't really work all that well on the Blackberry 9800, so I figured I'd try something out, and if I didn't like it, I could always return it in 14 days.
    That was in August of last year... Yes, I have purchased a new phone, called the Droid 4 (unfortunately the Droid 3 didn't have the hardware requirements to run the latest version of Android).

As an avid Blackberry user, I can tell you what you are missing:

- For news, I use a program called gReader Pro. It does all of my podcasts and RSS reading, including video podcast downloading. It's really great since it syncs between my google reader account, my tablet and my phone, so I never have to worry about reading the same article twice or 4 times (payware, but a free version offered, without the podcasting portions)
    - Video playback is much smoother on this phone
    - One ecosystem, (my tablet is also android) so I don't have to re-purchase my software between platforms
    - Dropbox integration; my dropbox is setup that whenever I take a new photo it puts it into my dropbox
    - Multitude of VPN client options (some free, some paid)
    - Widgets
    -> I can easily view the weather just turning on my phone
    -> I can easily dial or txt someone by clicking on their face through my home screen
    - Web browsing is A LOT FASTER, I also have access to Adobe Flash (but who cares about flash)
    - Portability between carriers; it doesn't matter what SIM is in my phone, my email accounts are on the phone, as long as I have a data connection I can get everything (this goes a long way if you like to change SIMs when going into other countries)
    - Skype full video chat
    - Viber voice
    - Remote capability to view or listen to the content I have at home through a simple app
    - Google talk with Voice and Video chat
    - Access to a software application store with 1/2 a million apps in it, for things like learning how to tie a tie, or an interactive Dr seuss book, of course, there are countless of other titles
    - Multitude of 3rd party VoIP applications (some androids also give you built-in VoIP access) (payware)
    - Full office-like suite (payware)
    - The softkeyboard called "Swype". I'm actually using my physical keyboard a lot less, since the new version is absolutley superb! (Manufacturer specific)

That's pretty much all of the stuff I can tell you about.

For any hardcore Blackberry user, I would really recommend picking up a DROID 4 phone, and running with it for a couple of weeks. If you still think Blackberry is better, PM me.

For people outside of the US, Android QWERTY phones are hard to find. My old phone Droid 3 was only so good, I wouldn't really recommend that one. Try finding an XPERIA PRO and load up the latest update to see how that one works. Both are slider phones, I'm not sure if the Sony has the Swype capability in it, but there is a free beta version going around at beta.swype.com.

After everythign I said, keep all of this in mind, I do have a Bold 9900 for work purposes and find the Blackberry ecosystem is still missing a lot.
    yanicmb likes this.
    06-29-12 08:31 AM
    So you don't like your old DROID and wouldn't recommend it but you like your new one and would. Until?
    06-29-12 08:37 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD