I may just be weird that way. It's like my phone has a camera, but I still use a real camera. My phone has GPS, but I still use both a real car and hand held GPSr. My phone can play games, but I still own dedicated hand held and home gaming systems.

I personally love all gadgets, the more the better. Every smartphone has their own pros and cons and there is no such thing as the perfect phone. For communication I prefer the Bold. I need communication more than I want the entertainment Android or iOS would give me. I don't do the entertainment stuff on my Bold because I need the battery life for the hundreds (probably closer to thousands) of messages I will send from my Bold that day. BUT I do like gadgets so I carry a Android along. I don't want 2 monthly phone bills just for myself so I choose to carry a used, deactivated Android that still does everything I want it to do.

My lifestyle may not be normal, but I still say more is always better.
    I can relate. I like having dedicated devices for what they do best. Yeah, my 9930 can play music, but I would rather save my battery life and have all 32gb of my music, better organized, and visually pleasing on my separate mp3 player.

I would rather have a separate GPS in my car too (but im using my phone for now )

I also play games on my Playbook and leave the email and stuff to my phone.

I like having a laptop too because it can do things more efficient than a tablet or phone.
    Saiga likes this.
    06-27-12 12:23 PM
    I carry an iphone and a BB for work. I have no home land line, so my iphone is it. I'm not going to use my limited voice minutes for work, so I have a work issued BB for that. If I did go to one device, it would be the iphone. First, I would rather use a personal device for work than the other way around. Second, my iphone integrates more easily with my wife's and family calendars, my music, has some apps I really like, and is better at web surfing.

Still like my BB for everything I do for work.
    06-27-12 12:35 PM
    I can relate. I like having dedicated devices for what they do best. Yeah, my 9930 can play music, but I would rather save my battery life and have all 32gb of my music, better organized, and visually pleasing on my separate mp3 player.

I would rather have a separate GPS in my car too (but im using my phone for now )

I also play games on my Playbook and leave the email and stuff to my phone.

I like having a laptop too because it can do things more efficient than a tablet or phone.
    My smartphone actually made me like dedicated GPSr devices. I used to go geocaching and do car navigation with my BlackBerry. It works but it isn't ideal. I now use a Garmin GPSMaps 62s for both my car and handheld GPSr and would have never thought to buy it if it wasn't for the smartphone.

Same thing happened with my ultrabook. I had just gotten a free PlayBook for an app I had wrote and I loved its portability. The small size of the PlayBook made me think my 17 inch laptop was a dinosaur, but the big dinosaur laptop was more useful in many ways than my PlayBook. So I compromised and bought a shiny new ultrabook and couldn't be happier. Smartphones can do a lot, but I like the dedicated stuff for certain tasks.
    06-27-12 12:37 PM
    Last night I was at my son's school awards presentation and really took note of what devices people were using to capture video and pictures with. Not surprising at all I'd have to say 90% of those devices were iPhones. However I was shocked at how many men had a BB device as well as an iPhone. iDon't get it? Why carry both devices? We are issued BB's from work and are allowed to use it as a personal device as well. Why would I go through the expense of having a second device? Someone explain this trend to me?
    For my part, I've long had a contract with Sprint, along with my wife - using the same phone number though we've moved multiple times. The BB I sometimes carry is a work-issued electronic leash. I really use it mostly to check work email when not at the office.
    06-27-12 12:40 PM
    The BB I sometimes carry is a work-issued electronic leash. I really use it mostly to check work email when not at the office.

LOL!! I think that's why a lot of people choose something else as their personal phone. It makes sense.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shemaree09; 06-27-12 at 01:05 PM.
    06-27-12 12:53 PM
    Oh very aware of what can be seen and monitored via BES as I used to be the admin in a previous job.

I'm just amazed at how many people will go to the added expense of carrying a second phone for "fun" stuff.
    Since I only had personal BB's with a company BES plan, I went the other way when the rules became too restrictive and just canned BES. Luckily I wasn't one of those who needed 24x7 email access, and I'm still only a phone call away if anybody needs me badly enough. I also have remote access from home for off-hours email and whatever else. But I can tell you that I enjoyed my BB several thousand times more when it was mine again.
    06-27-12 01:02 PM
    I'd carry both.
    I'd use my iPhone to capture pictures & video over the BB any day, even tho the 9930 camera isn't THAT bad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-27-12 02:22 PM
    The BB I sometimes carry is a work-issued electronic leash. I really use it mostly to check work email when not at the office.
    LOL!! I think that's why a lot of people choose something else as their personal phone. It makes sense.
    Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but I think these comments are a very significant part of why non-BB smartphones quickly overtook BBs as smartphones gained so much momentum over the last few years. BBs had historically been seen as being owned almost exclusively by businesspeople and often as digital leashes issued by "The Man" as mentioned above. This image/reputation certainly wasn't the best one for RIM to try to overcome when teenagers and soccer Moms and zillions of non-businesspeople started buying smartphones, and RIM's marketing to offset the image was totally absent since they were caught completely off guard by Apple, so those first-time smartphone buyers understandably chose phones that had been expertly marketed as cool and fun and not used primarily by airport-schlepping road warrior businesspeople. Arguably, RIM still has a work-only reputation and can't escape it, thus the non-keyboard BB10 device to try to avoid the "physical keyboard = office slave" association.

Just my 2c.
    kbz1960 and shemaree09 like this.
    06-27-12 03:42 PM
    This was interesting....this afternoon I had a vendor training session and the two guys up from our state side vendor were both sporting iPhones. I asked them at one of the breaks if that was a personal choice or company issued phones. Surprisingly they both answered "work issued". They canned BB a few months ago and all the staff couldn't be happier. The funny thing was nobody was allowed to carry work sensitive doc's on their iPhones in case of loss or theft. The company was however looking at secure cloud storage as an alternative. Guess I'm just a diehard BB fan. Just don't see the appeal of the iphones other than having my ipod able to make calls!
    06-27-12 10:09 PM
    I refuse to carry more than one device if I can help it. BB was my first truly converged handheld device: work, GPS, church tool, music, games, etc.

Every subsequent device has to live up to that.
    Last edited by trelawrence; 06-27-12 at 10:28 PM.
    06-27-12 10:14 PM
    My work added the options of iphones a couple months ago. most all employees that get phones got the iphones over BBs. A few did get 9900s though. Even the IT guys have got iphones for the most part. A few did carry 2 devices before this but now they just have the 1 iphone.
    06-27-12 10:15 PM
    I have never been able to understand why anyone buys an iPhone period. Why have an iPhone with a monthly fee when you can have an iPod and no monthly fee? OR have an iPod with a BlackBerry or an Android? Just has always seemed like a big time waste to me. Will be even more of a waste soon. Verizon's new share everything plan will include free Mobile Hotspot. So a person could have a fully usable iPod and a BlackBerry or Android smartphone everywhere they go for the same exact monthly fee as just having an iPhone.

Do people really like the call quality of the iPhone that much that they are willing to pay that much money just for voice minutes?
    RIM didn't understand and get it either. That's why they are in the position they're in.
    06-27-12 11:09 PM
    Simple, some people want some real mobile games on hand when they feel bored or tired from work.

That or they just want to be able to show they are cool for carrying an Iphone.

And of course those other reasons you guys gave.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-28-12 12:27 AM
    However I was shocked at how many men had a BB device as well as an iPhone. iDon't get it? Why carry both devices? We are issued BB's from work and are allowed to use it as a personal device as well. Why would I go through the expense of having a second device? Someone explain this trend to me?
    Hi Stump

Many big law/accountantcy firms, consultancies, etc, still supply their staff with both a BB (for email and sometimes secure corporate apps) and a separate handset (for voice - usually a low end handset)

The logic is, that you can then read your email, whilst having a phone conversation, and not have to be on speakerphone

The majority of corporate lawyers I know (City of London based) have both a BB and a low end handset

Hope this makes sense
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-28-12 02:13 AM
    I take it you are not concerned that your employer would have a record of everything you do with the smartphone during off-work hours. Did you trade for first born for your job as well?

Way to totally over react to a simple question the OP asked. There's a way to just answer and not be so sarcastic. There was no provocation on the part of the OP.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    AlienSlacker likes this.
    06-28-12 02:36 AM
    Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but I think these comments are a very significant part of why non-BB smartphones quickly overtook BBs as smartphones gained so much momentum over the last few years. BBs had historically been seen as being owned almost exclusively by businesspeople and often as digital leashes issued by "The Man" as mentioned above. This image/reputation certainly wasn't the best one for RIM to try to overcome when teenagers and soccer Moms and zillions of non-businesspeople started buying smartphones, and RIM's marketing to offset the image was totally absent since they were caught completely off guard by Apple, so those first-time smartphone buyers understandably chose phones that had been expertly marketed as cool and fun and not used primarily by airport-schlepping road warrior businesspeople. Arguably, RIM still has a work-only reputation and can't escape it, thus the non-keyboard BB10 device to try to avoid the "physical keyboard = office slave" association.

Just my 2c.

Brilliant. Exactly. This is the only reason I can figure the BlackBerry brand is viewed with such resentment. It is the phone "your boss has/had" or the device your company used to keep tabs on you.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-28-12 02:46 AM
    Oh very aware of what can be seen and monitored via BES as I used to be the admin in a previous job.

I'm just amazed at how many people will go to the added expense of carrying a second phone for "fun" stuff.
    As an admin, then, you would be OK with your company having access to your intimate conversations with your significant other. Personally, I would be mortified if my company knew what I say to mine. To say nothing of pictures and videos. Therefore I carry a personal device where I can say anything I want.

Additionally, when I take vacation, I want to get away from work, so I leave the work BB behind.

My work phone does not belong to me. I cannot mod it. No themes. No apps. Nada. Zilch.

As far as personal devices, I always carry a BB. I have a second line and I carry a non BB on that. Why?!?!? Because I want to. It gives me pleasure. It's fun. It's a gadget. At $70 a month, it's quite an inexpensive pleasure.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 06-28-12 at 03:15 AM.
    jakie55 and AlienSlacker like this.
    06-28-12 03:05 AM
    I agree, if I was given a free smartphone - then why would I go out and pay for my own? As long as I could do what I do with mine now, I'd be happy.

I don't use apps. Just emails, BBM, whatsapp, twitter. Into the thousands of messages a day! I don't need an iPhone for that!

The day the BB10 Bold is released - I'm buying one!
    06-28-12 04:36 AM
    And for the record! Do BES admins even read those messages from individual users? I couldn't care less. If they want to read it, see my photos, etc - fine. It's my personal life. Nothing to do with work.
    06-28-12 04:38 AM
    well i use a camera....its better than both.
    06-28-12 04:51 AM
    After being somewhat amazed at how many people I see carrying two devices I went to the Apple store last night and got an education in the iPhone first hand! I finally GET it! Being a hardcore BB man for the better part of a decade I never saw the draw to anything Apple other than their ability to be an entertainment device. I almost can't believe I'm about to type this but....I want ONE! From an admin stand point Apple has an enterprise solution damn near as robust and capable as BES. From a business standpoint the iPhone can do everything my BB can do and a little more as I find it mates with cloud computing a whole lot better. Now from a personal standpoint the iPhone has far more to offer than BB.
    Now here is what really sold me on the iPhone. While standing in the Apple store my phone rings, crappy reception in the mall and my BB drops the call, not once but twice. The Apple store guy hands me his personal iPhone and says here....call your customer back on my phone. If I didn't have another year on my term with Telus on the wife's phone I would have walked out of the mall with an iphone. iGet it now!
    06-28-12 09:42 AM
    Was the iPhone on the same network as your bb?
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-28-12 09:45 AM
    Yeah, contrary to what people will say here sometimes, the iPhone is a great device. Don't have to currently use one to know that.

If you can stomach iTunes (my pet peeve), it is one of the best converged devices on the market.
    06-28-12 09:47 AM
    And for the record! Do BES admins even read those messages from individual users? I couldn't care less. If they want to read it, see my photos, etc - fine. It's my personal life. Nothing to do with work.
    So in this new era of privacy concerns, you are the exception that proves the rule.

Personally, I guard my privacy as much as I possibly can
    06-28-12 09:51 AM
    Was the iPhone on the same network as your bb?
    Yes both on the Telus network. Could be my old Torch is just showing it's age, but all the guys at work have issues with dropped calls on our BB's. We have a mix of Torches, Bolds and Curves.

Yeah, contrary to what people will say here sometimes, the iPhone is a great device. Don't have to currently use one to know that.

If you can stomach iTunes (my pet peeve), it is one of the best converged devices on the market.
    I'm not a huge fan of iTunes either but it works.
    06-28-12 09:55 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD