Last night I was at my son's school awards presentation and really took note of what devices people were using to capture video and pictures with. Not surprising at all I'd have to say 90% of those devices were iPhones. However I was shocked at how many men had a BB device as well as an iPhone. iDon't get it? Why carry both devices? We are issued BB's from work and are allowed to use it as a personal device as well. Why would I go through the expense of having a second device? Someone explain this trend to me?
    06-27-12 10:53 AM
    Your company's IT policy might not be as restrictive as the those guys' companies' IT policies. They might have a totally locked down BES device that does not even allow any apps. Heck, they might even have been issued BlackBerry devices that don't have cameras.

Then, too, those guys might want to keep their personal data completely separate from the professional data. They might not want their company having access to what they do in their personal lives, so they carry a separate device. http://www.port3101.org/port-3101-be...ed-logged.html
    Last edited by lak611; 06-27-12 at 11:01 AM.
    06-27-12 10:55 AM
    I take it you are not concerned that your employer would have a record of everything you do with the smartphone during off-work hours. Did you trade for first born for your job as well?
    06-27-12 11:01 AM
    I take it you are not concerned that your employer would have a record of everything you do with the smartphone during off-work hours. Did you trade for first born for your job as well?
    I guess I must be a non-typical smart phone user as I hardly surf with my phone, the only BBM contacts I chat with are all work colleagues and I don't use my BB for facebook or twitter etc. I use it for work.
    06-27-12 11:05 AM
    I guess I must be a non-typical smart phone user as I hardly surf with my phone, the only BBM contacts I chat with are all work colleagues and I don't use my BB for facebook or twitter etc. I use it for work.
    The company can also see
    • Phone call data: Date/time of call, number called/received, length of call
    • Text message data: Including the actual verbage of the text message
    • MMS message text: Can view the actual verbage included, but not any photos sent

That is just a bit of what can be seen. The link I posted in my earlier post explains everything a BES admin can see.
    06-27-12 11:10 AM
    Wow the stump3r is stumped.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-27-12 11:12 AM
    I've noticed a lot of people carry both devices as well. Most of the people I've seen usually have and older OS5 device and iPhone.

I've been told by someone they have their Blackberry for the keyboard, email, and work stuff, and the iPhone for apps, music and fun stuff, basically.

RIM should provide the best of both worlds. Hopefully BB10 does this.
    06-27-12 11:14 AM
    Maybe it is cuz they don't trust the battery on the iphone?
    06-27-12 11:16 AM
    I've noticed a lot of people carry both devices as well. Most of the people I've seen usually have and older OS5 device and iPhone.
    A lot of this is due to the fact that enterprises never are early adopters of new technology. Consumers buy the "latest and greatest" far earlier than enterprises. Those company-issued BlackBerries might not get refreshed to a later model for quite some time, even if the employees wanted OS7 devices.

It is the same thing with computers. Many companies are still running Windows XP, even though Windows 7 is almost 3 years old and will be replaced by Windows 8 this fall.
    06-27-12 11:20 AM
    The company can also see
    • Phone call data: Date/time of call, number called/received, length of call
    • Text message data: Including the actual verbage of the text message
    • MMS message text: Can view the actual verbage included, but not any photos sent

That is just a bit of what can be seen. The link I posted in my earlier post explains everything a BES admin can see.
    Oh very aware of what can be seen and monitored via BES as I used to be the admin in a previous job.

I'm just amazed at how many people will go to the added expense of carrying a second phone for "fun" stuff.
    06-27-12 11:21 AM
    A lot of this is due to the fact that enterprises never are early adopters of new technology. Consumers buy the "latest and greatest" far earlier than enterprises. Those company-issued BlackBerries might not get refreshed to a later model for quite some time, even if the employees wanted OS7 devices.

It is the same thing with computers. Many companies are still running Windows XP, even though Windows 7 is almost 3 years old and will be replaced by Windows 8 this fall.
    Very true. At my job we just upgraded to Windows 7.

Its bad though. It gives Blackberry a bad reputation when people have an old device next to their iPhone.

Like others have suggested, since BB10 is near, they should clear out old devices and upgrade everyone to OS 7
    06-27-12 11:23 AM
    I'd rather carry a locked down work BlackBerry with no camera than any "fun" apple product. (But I wouldn't be at any kid award show either.)
    Oh very aware of what can be seen and monitored via BES as I used to be the admin in a previous job.

I'm just amazed at how many people will go to the added expense of carrying a second phone for "fun" stuff.
    It might not be strictly for "fun". Perhaps the employees don't want their companies to know when they called their wives, friends, kids; or they don't want their companies to see personal text messages sent to/from their wives, kids, friends.
    I've thought about this as well. I love my 9930 and it works for me, but I want to get an iPod touch to listen to music and have access to apps and fun stuff. I would rather have a dedicated 2nd device for that so my phone can do what it does best.
    06-27-12 11:24 AM
    I have never been able to understand why anyone buys an iPhone period. Why have an iPhone with a monthly fee when you can have an iPod and no monthly fee? OR have an iPod with a BlackBerry or an Android? Just has always seemed like a big time waste to me. Will be even more of a waste soon. Verizon's new share everything plan will include free Mobile Hotspot. So a person could have a fully usable iPod and a BlackBerry or Android smartphone everywhere they go for the same exact monthly fee as just having an iPhone.

Do people really like the call quality of the iPhone that much that they are willing to pay that much money just for voice minutes?
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-27-12 11:29 AM
    Very true. At my job we just upgraded to Windows 7.

Its bad though. It gives Blackberry a bad reputation when people have an old device next to their iPhone.

Like others have suggested, since BB10 is near, they should clear out old devices and upgrade everyone to OS 7
    The company might not feel the expense of upgrading the BES BlackBerries is worthwhile. After all, the company does not care if the employee is able to have extra features/apps for personal use, as long as he is able to communicate for his job. The OS5 devices work just as well for e-mail, phone calls, etc. The company is only issuing the BlackBerry for work-related function. It is not interested in whether or not the device is something the employee likes for his personal use.
    06-27-12 11:30 AM
    Is it possible that some of those were iPod touches?
    06-27-12 11:31 AM
    I have never been able to understand why anyone buys an iPhone period. Why have an iPhone with a monthly fee when you can have an iPod and no monthly fee? OR have an iPod with a BlackBerry or an Android? Just has always seemed like a big time waste to me. Will be even more of a waste soon. Verizon's new share everything plan will include free Mobile Hotspot. So a person could have a fully usable iPod and a BlackBerry or Android smartphone everywhere they go for the same exact monthly fee as just having an iPhone.

Do people really like the call quality of the iPhone that much that they are willing to pay that much money just for voice minutes?
    i agree. I've always wondered this about 3/4G tablets too. Why would anyone want to pay another data fee for a tablet when you already pay for data on your smartphone and home internet? Seems like such a waste of money.
    06-27-12 11:32 AM
    And lot of people don't want to carry 2 devices. IPhone is an ipod with a phone attached.
    06-27-12 11:33 AM

Mobile Hotspot most likely would be disabled on BES devices. The company is not going to pay for the employee to use loads of data to play with an iPod. BlackBerry Enterprise Server IT Policy Update released for BlackBerry Device Software 7.0 | BrightPoint GB Blog
    06-27-12 11:41 AM
    And lot of people don't want to carry 2 devices. IPhone is an ipod with a phone attached.
    Yes an iPhone is an iPod with a phone attached. That's the problem. Your paying for a smartphone and only getting voice minutes over the iPod. Just seems like a waste to me.

I would feel the exact same way about BlackBerry if RIM made a WiFi only device in a phone form factor that did every single thing a BlackBerry would do but without a monthly fee. I also feel the same way about Android phones. I carry an Android without service through a carrier. It can do the exact same things an Android with a $100 monthly fee will do (except 4G LTE because my BlackBerry don't have it), even voice calling.

I do agree that not everyone is comfortable with carrying 2 devices. I've done it for so many years that I am just accustomed to it and would feel naked without them. lol
    06-27-12 11:47 AM
    Mobile Hotspot most likely would be disabled on BES devices. The company is not going to pay for the employee to use loads of data to play with an iPod. BlackBerry Enterprise Server IT Policy Update released for BlackBerry Device Software 7.0 | BrightPoint GB Blog
    I never said anything about enterprise devices. I'm talking about the millions of people that buy iPhones with their own money. Many of whom also own the latest iPod touch lol
    06-27-12 11:49 AM

Why would I pay the same amount for a BB and carry an iPod touch when my plan costs exactly the same on my iPhone and I only need one device? Battery is no worry, I get over a day on my iPhone. I've been off charger since 7am doing heavy browsing and texting while waiting to get X-rays, it's almost 6 hours in and I'm at 76%. I know I won't even need to worry about charging until probably midnight. I'd rather carry one device that does everything I want it to than two devices to make up for what my 9900 can't do well.

That's why I have an iPhone.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    06-27-12 11:52 AM
    I never said anything about enterprise devices. I'm talking about the millions of people that buy iPhones with their own money. Many of whom also own the latest iPod touch lol
    The OP has a company-issued BES device, and he mentioned the men he saw who had two devices.

Another poster mentioned why not use an iPod Touch and mobile hotspot, rather than a personal iPhone.

Folks who have company-issued OS7 devices, such as the 9900/9930, probably cannot use mobile hotspot due to IT policy. Therefore, if they want a personal device that can use data without WiFi, they need an iPhone, not an iPod Touch.
    Last edited by lak611; 06-27-12 at 11:56 AM.
    06-27-12 11:53 AM
    Why would I pay the same amount for a BB and carry an iPod touch when my plan costs exactly the same on my iPhone and I only need one device? Battery is no worry, I get over a day on my iPhone. I've been off charger since 7am doing heavy browsing and texting while waiting to get X-rays, it's almost 6 hours in and I'm at 76%. I know I won't even need to worry about charging until probably midnight. I'd rather carry one device that does everything I want it to than two devices to make up for what my 9900 can't do well.

That's why I have an iPhone.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    I may just be weird that way. It's like my phone has a camera, but I still use a real camera. My phone has GPS, but I still use both a real car and hand held GPSr. My phone can play games, but I still own dedicated hand held and home gaming systems.

I personally love all gadgets, the more the better. Every smartphone has their own pros and cons and there is no such thing as the perfect phone. For communication I prefer the Bold. I need communication more than I want the entertainment Android or iOS would give me. I don't do the entertainment stuff on my Bold because I need the battery life for the hundreds (probably closer to thousands) of messages I will send from my Bold that day. BUT I do like gadgets so I carry a Android along. I don't want 2 monthly phone bills just for myself so I choose to carry a used, deactivated Android that still does everything I want it to do.

My lifestyle may not be normal, but I still say more is always better.
    shemaree09 and jakie55 like this.
    06-27-12 12:17 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD