I never knew that they are trying to compete so much with BB until I read a few articles about the device.
    Motorola really put some thought into this device.
    Hopefully we don't see the end of Blackberry soon.
    I would at least want the Pearl 3G on VZW first.

I don't know guys, this one might hurt us!

The Droid Pro's running Android 2.2, and it's a world phone, so it's definitely aimed at the dissatisfied BlackBerry user looking to make a switch.

Also, I put this under BB discussion because its about Blackberry. If it's in the wrong sub-forum, please move it. Thank You! :P
    10-10-10 01:54 AM
    Here's some discussion surrounding the pro

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/bb...r-here-536237/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/mot...making-535992/

My personal opinion on the phone... it's hideous! But to each their own right.
    10-10-10 02:13 AM
    Yeah, I saw the other threads but I thought I should make my own to add to the madness.
    But, in all seriousness, I just realized HOW MUCH! it's trying to assassinate Blackberry.
    I agree, it is hideous!
    10-10-10 02:17 AM
    I think they'll have to rethink design first. Yes, it's guts are appealing, but not enough to win me over anyways.
    10-10-10 02:21 AM
    I never knew that they are trying to compete so much with BB until I read a few articles about the device.

[/I]
    Also, I put this under BB discussion because its about Blackberry. If it's in the wrong sub-forum, please move it. Thank You! :P
    well come ON, we all had to see it coming. Droid, and to a lesser extent iphone, made inroads into the smartphone market targeting those users, blackberry and otherwise, that actually demand more and aren't satisfied with the same ole same ole that's been out for almost ten years.

I don't know if the droid pro itself will hurt that much, it's thier first stab into the bb "business" market, but the entire move will begin hurting unless RIM un@sses and starts to try to compete. Up until now all of rim's apologists have been trying to say "blackberries aren't meant to compete with iphones and droids", which is as innane as an argument as you can get (Chevy's aren't MEANT to compete with FORDS and TOYOTA.... ?)

RIM got itself into this predicament by taking the same old hardware and so forth, cramming into the same old body styles and simply updating or changing the name... in some cases with a new color of case (?!?!??!?!), and trying to say "we have new products that are state of the art" (processors that weren't cutting edge 3 years ago).

That's why competition is great, if we don't like product X, we have product Y and Z to try. Thier new touchscreen "refresh" was just given the axe because somebody at marketing finally opened thier eyes and realized that wasn't going to cut it; the very fact that they had to shelve thier pride and let people know they were working on a tablet is a positive sign that they are easing off the stubbornness and trying to get into the game (remember, up until now rim "didn't comment on this or that or whatever".

I think bbreporter said it best in thier podcast when they said that "perhaps rim didn't expect that thier hardcore market would start expecting more than they use to".
    10-10-10 06:05 AM
    My question is what does the Android Pro offer that a person couldn't already get with a BlackBerry smartphone? Putting a faster processor really doesn't impress me because my Bold 9000 is faster than my EVO 4G that has a 1ghz processor. As a business device, the Droid Pro can only match a BlackBerry, there really isn't anything new that they are bring to the table. The actual concept of the phone has been done already by Palm and RIM. How is this device any different from the Torch? Seems to be offering the same things. I think the Droid Pro is a great looking device, but it doesn't make me want to give up my BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 06:15 AM
    My question is what does the Android Pro offer that a person couldn't already get with a BlackBerry smartphone? Putting a faster processor really doesn't impress me because my Bold 9000 is faster than my EVO 4G that has a 1ghz processor. As a business device, the Droid Pro can only match a BlackBerry, there really isn't anything new that they are bring to the table. The actual concept of the phone has been done already by Palm and RIM. How is this device any different from the Torch? Seems to be offering the same things. I think the Droid Pro is a great looking device, but it doesn't make me want to give up my BlackBerry.

Your Bold 9k is faster than the Evo 4g at what exactly? I could say my 9630 was just as fast at loading webpages as my Droid 2 and that would be accurate, although I should mention the BB was timed loading wap sites and the D2 timed loading full html sites.

The touchscreen itself is handy for navigating, zooming on pages, sites, documents and photos, so productivity goes up if your job would require any of that.

I think most devices out there are trying to compete against the other devices at their price point. If not, why bother if you aren't even going to try to compete with anybody, hope a few uninformed consumers stumble in and buy your not competing with anybody else product by mistake?
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-10-10 at 07:19 AM.
    10-10-10 07:15 AM
    Droid Pro:
    1. A more fluid operating system
    2. More storage for apps, docs, sound files, etc.
    3. Better web browser
    4. Is a world phone
    5. Has both physical & virtual keyboard.
    6. Will have a faster boot time than most Blackberrys
    7. More choices of useful free apps
    8. Is not restricted to RIMs servers
    9. Has push e-mail with ActiveSync support
    10-10-10 09:59 AM
    Droid Pro:
    3. Better web browser
    4. Is a world phone
    I agree with all of your points except for number 6. It will actually have a faster boot time than ALL Blackberrys, not most.
    10-10-10 10:09 AM
    I think any droid phone beats blackberry and now this one will be icing on the cake RIM need to give up with all their phones having the same faulty cheap software and OS6 sheesh give me a break its highly overrated from what I hear BOLT is still better than webkit

10-10-10 10:15 AM

[/I]
    Google/Android and Motorola/Verzion is not going after RIM they are going after the unhappy RIM user that has a choice on their enterprise phone. This is not David and Goliath, they are not going to take down a giant with one stone. Windows and Research Standing Still have one customer base keeping them active. Enterprise Customers. Once customers realize they have options the battle for superiority begings. why do you think android and apple have been neck and neck. and now that Research in motion has had a stone thrown at them. its time to put up or shut up. and remember when markets compete we win.

10-10-10 10:27 AM
    RIM had a monopoly at WinMo and Palms expense. Now that the dumbphone manufacturers have a Smartphone platform, RIM is now looking at their shakey foundation. What keeps happening is that the Emporer's (RIM) new clothes aren't new at all, but rather the Emporer is quite exposed.
    10-10-10 12:04 PM
    Your Bold 9k is faster than the Evo 4g at what exactly? I could say my 9630 was just as fast at loading webpages as my Droid 2 and that would be accurate, although I should mention the BB was timed loading wap sites and the D2 timed loading full html sites.

The touchscreen itself is handy for navigating, zooming on pages, sites, documents and photos, so productivity goes up if your job would require any of that.

I think most devices out there are trying to compete against the other devices at their price point. If not, why bother if you aren't even going to try to compete with anybody, hope a few uninformed consumers stumble in and buy your not competing with anybody else product by mistake?
    My Bold is faster at going in and out of PIM applications and navigating from one screen to another. With the keyboard shortcuts, convenience keys, and application switcher, I can do so many things with a lot more speed. You speak of the browser speeds, well I only go to mobile sites, so the speeds are comparable there. My user experience with my BB is a lot faster than with the EVO. I still think that the EVO is a great device, but just not where it counts for me.

10-10-10 02:50 PM
    My Bold is faster at going in and out of PIM applications and navigating from one screen to another. With the keyboard shortcuts, convenience keys, and application switcher, I can do so many things with a lot more speed. You speak of the browser speeds, well I only go to mobile sites, so the speeds are comparable there. My user experience with my BB is a lot faster than with the EVO. I still think that the EVO is a great device, but just not where it counts for me.

I'd be surprised if the EVO didn't have an app switcher on it, my droid 2 does.

As to the keyboard shortcuts, I can see that.

Your Bold 9k must have been very advanced versus my Tour then if it can keep up with the android browser. I guess with a more powerful browser than I've ever had on a mobile device, I've never even considered using it for wap sites. Maybe it is slower on those for some reason.
    10-10-10 03:43 PM
    Side note: I owned a Original Droid from April to August.
    It was awesome, and I loved it.
    But I really had no use for all the applications and such, so I purchased a 9650.
    My Droid now lays, lonely, in a comfortable case in my nightstand drawer, hoping to be activated again.
    10-10-10 03:51 PM
    Side note: I owned a Original Droid from April to August.
    It was awesome, and I loved it.
    But I really had no use for all the applications and such, so I purchased a 9650.
    My Droid now lays, lonely, in a comfortable case in my nightstand drawer, hoping to be activated again.
    I guess I don't see the logic on that one. I only use about a dozen apps with any sort of frequency, but that doesn't seem like a logical reason to make me leave an awesome device I love and spend money on buying something else?
    10-10-10 04:11 PM
    I guess I don't see the logic on that one. I only use about a dozen apps with any sort of frequency, but that doesn't seem like a logical reason to make me leave an awesome device I love and spend money on buying something else?
    I've gone through four devices this year, and I might purchase the HTC Merge if it comes out by late November.
    I think I have a problem with purchasing devices.
    LOL.
    10-10-10 04:19 PM
    Blackberry is better because it has convience keys, fanboys claim. I have thoes on my G2. Fanboys claim that Blackberry native browser is as fast as the competition. Problem is is that comparison is made on WAP vs full HTML.
    10-10-10 04:27 PM
    Blackberry is better because it has convience keys, fanboys claim.
    Who the h*ll would say that bull?
    A lot of phones have convenience keys, LOL.

By the way, you spelled convenience incorrectly.
    Just informing you.
    10-10-10 04:31 PM
    I've gone through four devices this year, and I might purchase the HTC Merge if it comes out by late November.
    I think I have a problem with purchasing devices.
    LOL.
    And I thought I was a tech addict/abuser upgrading/switching devices once yearly.
    10-10-10 04:33 PM
    Droid Pro:
    3. Better web browser
    4. Is a world phone
    1. Everyone I know that has switched from BB to Droid, regret it and wish they could come back - but their bosses won't approve the expense (so they are waiting for their next NE2s). Droid as a platform sounds like a great concept, but when the device is not capable of doing its core functions well after installing some apps, its a flawed platform. BB just plain works and it does its core functions very well.
    2. I fail to see how memory card A @ 32Gb in a BB is any different than memory card B @ 32Gb in a Droid.
    3. Agree, but on a business device I've never had an issue with my BB browser.
    4. There aren't BB world phones?
    5. Doesn't the Torch? (Asking cause I don't know.)
    6. OS5 boots for me in under 4 min, OS6 in under 2. Of course, you don't have to reboot a BB nearly as often as a Droid.
    7. All depends on the definition of useful, but I do agree the Droid marketplace has more titles than is available for BB. Of course, how many apps folks actually retain and utilize daily I understand is about the same across all the platforms.
    8. Guess that depends on how you look at it. From a corporate security standpoint Droids are much less secure. Mot seems to be trying to gain some ground in this area with this device, but RIM still has years on them.
    9. That will help Droid a bit, if your email environment is setup to allow ActiveSync to work (my company is not).

All in all, I think RIM should be flattered that in order for Droid to try and make an inroad on their core customers, what does the device look like? Like a 'Berry...

10-10-10 08:59 PM
    1. Everyone I know that has switched from BB to Droid, regret it and wish they could come back - but their bosses won't approve the expense (so they are waiting for their next NE2s). Droid as a platform sounds like a great concept, but when the device is not capable of doing its core functions well after installing some apps, its a flawed platform. BB just plain works and it does its core functions very well.

What apps and what core functions are you referring to? Also, which devices are they using, since they aren't all the same.

2. I fail to see how memory card A @ 32Gb in a BB is any different than memory card B @ 32Gb in a Droid.

Who said anything about a memory card? My Droid 2 has 8gb internal memory on which I can store apps, photos, video, contacts, texts, emails, or whatever else. I can also move apps to the memory card and so forth should I ever need to.

3. Agree, but on a business device I've never had an issue with my BB browser.

As more apps gradually shift towards being online, we will see the importance of the browser increase for the business world also

4. There aren't BB world phones?
    Sure there are, but now there is an alternative to them. Besides, the CDMA radios seem to be weak on BB worldphones. We'll have to see how other companies do with implementing this feature.
    5. Doesn't the Torch? (Asking cause I don't know.)
    6. OS5 boots for me in under 4 min, OS6 in under 2. Of course, you don't have to reboot a BB nearly as often as a Droid.

I'm afraid you have that one backwards. On my Tour I had to battery pull at least once a week, otherwise it became so laggy as to be unusable. That's both the original and refurb Tours I had. I have yet to "have to" reboot my Droid.

7. All depends on the definition of useful, but I do agree the Droid marketplace has more titles than is available for BB. Of course, how many apps folks actually retain and utilize daily I understand is about the same across all the platforms.
    8. Guess that depends on how you look at it. From a corporate security standpoint Droids are much less secure. Mot seems to be trying to gain some ground in this area with this device, but RIM still has years on them.
    9. That will help Droid a bit, if your email environment is setup to allow ActiveSync to work (my company is not).

All in all, I think RIM should be flattered that in order for Droid to try and make an inroad on their core customers, what does the device look like? Like a 'Berry...

Replies in bold above...
    10-10-10 09:15 PM
    Ummm, 0100010.......I may not have a Droid but I have a Vibrant, and I haven't had the phone off in 2 weeks. No reboot, nothing. Never once had a single Berry I could say the same about.

There were many, many sites I could not go to on a BB browser that I have no issues with on Android or on WebOS.

Last I checked you couldn't store applications to the SD card to save using the internal memory, and if that has changed on a BB that is news to me. Hence the more space for apps etc. ****, on my Vibrant I don't even HAVE to do that since Samsung dedicated 2 Gb strictly for applications. As far as these 'core apps' and 'flawed platforms' - you are now calling Android flawed, not Droid. Droid is a handset. Android is the platform. And I can assure you that Android absolutely DOES multitask and function the same way as any Berry I have ever owned, and does it better for me. That includes pushed email, Facebook sync, document handling etc.

I boot up in under 30 seconds.

I understand that you are bashing Droids in particular but a lot of your comments are often said about other Android phones as well and most are simply not true. And while it may be true that your friends want back on BB due to work related issues, it sounds like THEIR issue and not the phone - they simply didn't research to make sure the phone was suitable for their work environment and requirements for data and email connectivity. Not exactly the phones fault.

I have never been happier with a phone than I am since going Android and the Vibrant in particular. Are there some things it could do better? Sure, like with any phone. However, that doesn't mean that one platform is totally better than the other. For me, as a phone geek, there were too many shortcomings with BB for me to stay with it and be happy. For others a BB suits their needs perfectly. The broad brush treatment you used is what is called fanboiism and what Apple and Android users get accused of all the time. Look in the mirror.

Just saying.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 10-10-10 at 09:29 PM.
    10-10-10 09:26 PM
    Some people like apples better than oranges and oranges better than pears. We will never have a thread in which everyone agrees on a particular device being #1 on all fronts. Apple, android, blackberry and soon to be windows OS's will all have something that draws people in and keeps them there. I just so happen to like blackberry's because for me, it does what I need. That does not make it better than an Iphone or anything else because each phone and each OS is different. I picked my phone because it does what I need it to do which is why I assume we all don't have the same ones.

Can't we all just be friends <3
    10-10-10 10:19 PM
    Can't we all just be friends <3
    I agree so much with this.
    10-10-10 10:26 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD