So, I was out looking for a new SD card to my future Z10 when my phone finally kicks the bucket. I promptly head to the nearest Sprint store, sign up for a new contract and buy a Galaxy Nexus. Sorry, BB, but no matter how much I want a Z/Q10, I'm not going a month without a phone. Apparently, my PlayBook didn't like my infidelity and when I picked it up, it was slow, buggy, kept locking up and after doing some math, I realized that I was missing over 5GB of storage with no clue as to what was eating it up. I backed it up and did a security wipe and messed around with it to see if it was faring any better but then I couldn't sync it with my Google calendar and I hadn't connected my PlayBook to the internet since adding a dozen or so calendar appointments. Great, I have to put in all those appointments again and I can't use my favorite calendar app anymore. So, I try to restore the back up so that it would be set up as before, but the restore consistently failed and every time it failed I had to wait what felt like forever for my PlayBook to reboot. So now it's no appointments, no calendar, no apps/data, and no media. There are no words.

So, getting back to the phone, I thought I'd take a minute to consider the pros and cons:

What I'll miss:

Exploring a new platform and watching it grow first-hand - I like the idea behind BB10's gestures and I'm really curious about the workflow the active frame system provides. Though it's not as feature-complete as Android or iOS the holes would be patched in time and I'm eager to see how BB goes about it and what new stuff finds its way into the OS.

The Hub - Though in need of a few tweaks it's a great system for managing messages that'll only get better over time.

The Keyboard - World-class suggestions plus flicking up to select would have given typing an interesting cadence. Though I adore gesture typing on Jelly Bean, the predictions leave much to be desired.

Not having to swap batteries as much - The Z10's battery life may not be all that great, but my CDMA GalNex's is down right terrible. (Though I guess it's worth noting that the GalNex's swap routine gets me back in action in less time than it takes for the Z10 to even boot up)

Bridge - Though not quite what it used to be, the features that remain are still pretty potent and I'm sure the rest and more will be there soon.

What I won't miss:

Lack of apps - the first thing I did after getting my GalNex was download/update a metric ton of apps, the vast majority of which I'm sure aren't on BB10 and I'm not interested in alternatives. I could've gotten over not having them on my phone (they're also on my Nexus 7), but now I don't have to.

Travel friendliness - Between the maps, fancy camera features and Google Now to provide weather, hotel reservations, transportation info and things to do without me even asking, the Z10 wouldn't have been as nice a travel companion.

Software design - I've become quite obsessive about design and much to my pleasure, so has Google. Though BB10 has a lot of nice elements in it, on the whole I don't find the OS or the apps as attractive or refined as the 3 generations old (or 2.x depending on how you look at it) Holo UI.

Though I won't count myself out just yet. I still have my PlayBook (even though it hates me) and I'll keep entering CB's contests with all my flexible appendages crossed. Now that I've said my piece, I guess you guys can continue in my PB's footsteps and make me feel bad for being so careless with my phone and skipping BB10.
    02-10-13 04:16 PM
    If you really wanted a z10 you could have bought a phone on craigslist to hold you over then resell it when you got it. Or you can take back the gn within 14 days and only have to pay service fees. Or you can wait till the z10 is out and sell the gn on craigslist. Overall it's a decent phone for Android.
    Jeovex likes this.
    02-10-13 04:58 PM
    yea the us launch is realistically only just over a month away, its still Q1 like they said..
    02-10-13 05:29 PM
    I'd hate you too if you killed my partner.

J/K enjoy your phone and maybe your pb will forgive you if you try a BB10 when they come out.
    02-10-13 06:07 PM
    02-10-13 06:08 PM
    If you really wanted a z10 you could have bought a phone on craigslist to hold you over then resell it when you got it. Or you can take back the gn within 14 days and only have to pay service fees. Or you can wait till the z10 is out and sell the gn on craigslist. Overall it's a decent phone for Android.
    In my mind the GalNex is the best Android phone ever released and it was free with a new contract; 32GB model, too. I was walking out of the store with a doofy grin on my face before I even knew what happened.

Not switching away so much as I am postponing switching back
    02-10-13 07:22 PM
    In my mind the GalNex is the best Android phone ever released and it was free with a new contract; 32GB model, too. I was walking out of the store with a doofy grin on my face before I even knew what happened.

I'd say the N4 would be the best android phone released. Al though I do like the GN it is aguably the same phone as a galaxy s3
    02-10-13 09:24 PM
    I'd say the N4 would be the best android phone released. Al though I do like the GN it is aguably the same phone as a galaxy s3
    I thought the Nexus 4 was very nice when I used it, but it loses a few of the "Nexus-y" details that I really appreciate in the GalNex; a little too derivative of the Optimus G whereas the GalNex, being a modernized agglomeration of all Nexii prior is a perfect hardware metaphor for the Android OS. I had similar thoughts about the Z10 vs the Q10 where the latter is beautifully crafted hardware metaphor of BB10.
    02-10-13 10:18 PM
    I work for Sprint, I would not recommend this phone at all. The service it receives is terrible, and it does not have expandable memory. The phone is not good.
    02-11-13 08:49 AM
    I work for Sprint, I would not recommend this phone at all. The service it receives is terrible, and it does not have expandable memory. The phone is not good.
    Which one? The Nexus?
    02-11-13 08:54 AM