...am i?

I mean, I am currently torn between being happy that blackberry will now have an official android app store which will basically make the app gap a bit of a non-issue now. And this is a good thing. Because it means that users can actually migrate to the BB10 platform and not complain about how they are missing one application or the other... because now, BlackBerry will officially have it available to be used and enjoyed by the customer...

However, on the flip side, what then happens t native development? How do we then convince peple to develop natively for a platform which now has an android app store? what becomes the incentive? I have read on some other threads about comments along the lines of "developers, wanting to give their users a better experience, will then develop native"

And i kid you not, my mind literally replied, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

With the 10.3 sdk to be said to run android apps without an issue, why would a developer now waste their time and resources developing native when their userbase are perfectly fine with the android app?

Surely, I can't be the only one a bit worried aboout this?

There is this danger... It is currently a low probability, but the danger still exists... that in the long run, BlackBerry phones will be running on android (albeit an edited secure one, but android nonetheless)

And that scares me.
    johnm137, S Valmont, lift and 1 others like this.
    06-19-14 04:56 AM
    I do feel kind of betrayed but for other reasons. When BB10 started out it had more native-ness 10.1 and prior. Either nobody saw the continued Android focus as a problem or if so they were hardcore BB fans saying the'd never use any android apps (those were the early days of sideloading manually. Like the story with Adobe Air first it was native the Adobe air then abandoning Adobe. - It's all a mess. Don't think the Amazon deal will change much in and by it self though to me this is an Amazon deal more than a BlackBerry deal
    johnm137, kbz1960 and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-19-14 05:22 AM
    Still messy though.

It's not even like I hate Android OS and devices... I just prefer BB10 more. Android is not bad but I have always felt meh about it. And seeing BlackBerry move on this path is a hard pill to swallow...however good a move it is for the company.
    06-19-14 05:38 AM
    You aren't the only one, I think this is fine as long as BB push native development as the preferred way to get apps onto BB10.
    Shadowyugi and lift like this.
    06-19-14 05:45 AM
    I suppose I'm a bit worried in that scenario as well as not all Android apps work great.

Not sure they had a choice though. I always thought the Amazon partnership was relatively low hanging fruit for both to help them solve mutual issues ... getting BlackBerry more "numbers" to their app story as well as titles;

And giving Amazon a few million more customers outside of Fire line customers so that vendors will put apps into their store as well as Google Play.
    06-19-14 06:03 AM
    ...am i?

I mean, I am currently torn between being happy that blackberry will now have an official android app store which will basically make the app gap a bit of a non-issue now. And this is a good thing. Because it means that users can actually migrate to the BB10 platform and not complain about how they are missing one application or the other... because now, BlackBerry will officially have it available to be used and enjoyed by the customer...

However, on the flip side, what then happens t native development? How do we then convince peple to develop natively for a platform which now has an android app store? what becomes the incentive? I have read on some other threads about comments along the lines of "developers, wanting to give their users a better experience, will then develop native"

And i kid you not, my mind literally replied, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

With the 10.3 sdk to be said to run android apps without an issue, why would a developer now waste their time and resources developing native when their userbase are perfectly fine with the android app?

Surely, I can't be the only one a bit worried aboout this?

There is this danger... It is currently a low probability, but the danger still exists... that in the long run, BlackBerry phones will be running on android (albeit an edited secure one, but android nonetheless)

And that scares me.
    It seems like a slippery slope towards android however, BlackBerry has a clear focus on enterprise, it's roots. For security and tight integration, developing for BB10 will have a strong business case. Business apps running on BB10 for the reasons above should also drive BlackBerry handset sales. The more business customers there are using BlackBerry 10, the greater the chances of sales rippling out to the consumer market...I like Chen and his tactical and strategic decisions. He is playing to the company's strengths and partnering where he needs help.
    nah.uhh and Shadowyugi like this.
    06-19-14 06:08 AM
    You aren't the only one, I think this is fine as long as BB push native development as the preferred way to get apps onto BB10.
    This right here. BlackBerry are not vested in Android. They have a vested interest in improving and expanding the uses of QNX. The only way they can increase adoption of BB10 is to utilize the Android runtime to fill the app gap that everyone whines about. They need to keep native development tools ready for success. Unfortunately most people seem to be complaining about the lack of Google apps. That is how Google has control over the mobile market. Perhaps BlackBerry needs to strike a deal with Amazon to develop their own suite of apps that can get people off the Google train. Or, you know, just do it themselves.

Posted via CB10
    neo158 and lift like this.
    06-19-14 07:37 AM
    Amazon uses devices to sell content.

BlackBerry biz is device development and sales.

They complement each other and there may be more to come.

It would make a lot of sense for future Amazon devices to be developed by BlackBerry. No need for both to develop devices whose first purpose is not android apps but need to run android apps to satisfy the masses.

Kindle, powered by QNX

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    Shadowyugi and sleepngbear like this.
    06-19-14 08:07 AM
    Let's face it though. Consumers (teens, students, sub-30 crowd) represent a small % of BlackBerry customers. The great majority of users are not in this group. Yet this is the group we hear the most from when there's talk of the "app gap". So BlackBerry is going to focus on providing enterprise development while Amazon has the entertainment side covered. Makes a lot of sense. What I hope is that the company doesn't lose sight of those in-between apps that serve both consumers and enterprise such as BlackBerry Travel, Maps etc. I hope they continue to improve those as well as other apps in that area that use Cascades.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-19-14 08:17 AM
    Amazon uses devices to sell content.

BlackBerry biz is device development and sales.

They complement each other and there may be more to come.

It would make a lot of sense for future Amazon devices to be developed by BlackBerry. No need for both to develop devices whose first purpose is not android apps but need to run android apps to satisfy the masses.

Kindle, powered by QNX

Now wouldn't that just turn a few heads.
    06-19-14 08:17 AM
    To actively promote Android comparability they must partner with a reputable Android source. In North America there is only Amazon. Simple.

Now BlackBerry can actively promote Android compatibility to the masses.

Expect real adverts from BlackBerry this fall

anon(4044683) likes this.
    06-19-14 08:24 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys!!

See, the thing is, I believe that BlackBerry will report (and they've begun to anyway) good news in the next coming hours.

Because, this is honestly good business. Some people (including me) are just worried that BlackBerry's identity... the very thing that made us like the brand in the first place and BB10 might just get lost in the process of trying to save the company.
    06-19-14 08:26 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys!!

See, the thing is, I believe that BlackBerry will report (and they've begun to anyway) good news in the next coming hours.

Because, this is honestly good business. Some people (including me) are just worried that BlackBerry's identity... the very thing that made us like the brand in the first place and BB10 might just get lost in the process of trying to save the company.
    We all feel your concern.....we like our BlackBerry's, we love BB10 and we want native apps. However, the real reality is that BlackBerry cannot bring native apps fast enough to save it. But really, we still get a solid BlackBerry device, we will have a store for only native apps I hope, and then we have the backup store, for android apps. I believe 10.3 is where BlackBerry needed to get to, you will see more advertising once this synergy gets going, and BlackBerry with Amazon is a much larger force.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 08:41 AM
    BlackBerry security is going to be about BES and Balance. There's a firewall between the BES space and the personal space, and apps from Amazon will be restricted to the personal space.

Native app development will continue as it has been: mostly utilities and apps that need granular access to BB10 capabilities. Big name consumer apps will be Android or they will continue to be missing.

Anyone who wants all and only native apps from the big developers needs to be on some other platform. But I think most have already figured that out.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubizmo; 06-19-14 at 12:59 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-19-14 08:54 AM
    I don't mind so much using android apps. My issue is with the permissions that android apps require to even install and run. At least with native BB programs, you are able to turn off most if not all of these, and the app will still run effectively.
    Oglon3r and Oddsocket like this.
    06-19-14 09:41 AM
    I don't mind so much using android apps. My issue is with the permissions that android apps require to even install and run. At least with native BB programs, you are able to turn off most if not all of these, and the app will still run effectively.
    If that sentiment is sufficiently widespread, it will create a demand for native apps with less profligate permissions. If it isn't, well, then it won't.
    06-19-14 01:00 PM
    I'm going to take a stand and say I'm in favor of the Amazon deal. Why? Because with so many apps that work off the bat we can go ahead and bring the app thirsty crowd, but then what will happen when these individuals notice that many Android apps either work like **** or.do not work at all?

Yeah, also what would happen if this in the end backfires and makes BlackBerry head the android way just look at the amazon fire phone, it HAD To go android. Will BB In a desperate attempt to survive turn that way I mean full on android app integration makes it 60% android doesn't it? I know many will think of it as such, many think the fire phone isn't android because of the heavy tinkering amazon did with it.

Also I'm fkn confused because now I do not know whether to learn cascades or android development to a student developer the choice is simple, I will invest my time with android development because now my app can and will work both on BB10 and any other DROID device. I should be happy for this deal, I mean I will support BB until the end I just honestly don't understand what this uneasy feeling is all about.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    06-19-14 01:06 PM
    BlackBerry already encouraged the native developers to make android consumer apps instead of native ones. They don't push native anymore. They do the exact opposite. At the end of the day we have bb10 devices without Bb10 experience. But look, almost nobody here at Crackberry really cares. They finally will get more games and are happy. Party everywhere. It will be funny to watch how well the android apps will run on the uncommon form factors of the new devices, lol. But then the last native developer is gone.

Posted via CB10
    mjdimer likes this.
    06-19-14 01:57 PM
    BlackBerry already encouraged the native developers to make android consumer apps instead of native ones. They don't push native anymore. They do the exact opposite. At the end of the day we have bb10 devices without Bb10 experience. But look, almost nobody here at Crackberry really cares. They finally will get more games and are happy. Party everywhere. It will be funny to watch how well the android apps will run on the uncommon form factors of the new devices, lol. But then the last native developer is gone.
    Posted via CB10
    Native apps will only be for enterprises internal apps. This is a smart move because it also helps pave the way to move full android if necessary. Chen has conceded in his early days as CEO that BBRY cannot sustain a full platform and he needs exit strategy. As a investors, I think he has done well to bring BBRY back to profitability which is all we're concerned about.
    06-19-14 02:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not sure where you got the above from, however from the BlackBerry Developer forum, BlackBerry stated the following :
    1. Android ported apps will be encouraged to go the Amazon Store way.
    2. Native apps developers will be kept on the BlackBerry World.
    3. Native development tools will continue to grow supported.
    4. Even for Android ported apps, the developer has to AGREE to the move or he/she could continue with presence only in BBW.

The above is what I got from reading the developer blogs.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-19-14 02:48 PM
    This fusion should serve BlackBerry increasing its Market Share. Then it could be time for BlackBerry to renegotiate with the big names to launch native apps for BlackBerry 10. And at that point developers should be back even stronger.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 02:53 PM
    Why not ******* join both stores? "Blackberry World Powered by Amazon."

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    06-19-14 03:38 PM
    Previous management left little choice. They appeared to have tried to intentionally tank the company for a big severance payout and by doing so killed off all BB10 momentum which killed off development. Chen had to provide a solution to get apps on the devices to move devices.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    06-19-14 03:41 PM
    You aren't the only one. This is a bad deal for many reasons:

1. Android apps are not secure and will not be allowed on BES phones by wise admins.

2. It throws native developers and the BBW storefront under the bus.

3. It builds no platform loyalty. Someone who has paid for 40 or 50 iOS apps and a bunch of iTunes media content is less likely to jump to android. Someone who has that investment in Amazon content has no loyalty to the BB10 platform and can replace a BB10 with a droid phone without losing anything.

Why not make a very quiet deal to include something like 1 mobile market with 10.3 and change nothing else?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-20-14 09:28 PM
    So will Facebook remain native?

Will Twitter remain native?

If they become Droid only will you stay with BlackBerry?

I found this news very disappointing.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    johnm137 likes this.
    06-20-14 10:03 PM
38 12