People buy phones at launch simply because they get the pleasure of owning the just launched phone. It has a emotional value that is worth more than the cash depreciation it suffers after it.

It's like giving a birthday present to a friend, doesn't make sense because you're wasting money in something that you don't benefict with, you do it because the reward value is worth the money spent
    LOL. Probably shouldn't buy a new car because as soon as you(or whomever) drives off the car lot, the depreciation clock is already ticking.
    11-18-14 11:31 AM
    No thesis needed. SImply put, It's my money. When I wear them, I wear big-boy pants. So, I do what I want with my money. Stay in your lane....and I'll stay in mine. Again, fairly simple concept to me.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-18-14 11:36 AM
    Lol @ when I wear them... lolol

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 11:59 AM
    Lol @ when I wear them... lolol

Posted via CB10
    My wife frowns when I get the paper in the morning.
    11-18-14 12:43 PM
    This Passport is BADASS!

Posted via CB10
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-18-14 07:28 PM
    becasue they want a flagship. if you buy it 6 months later, it wont be flagship, will it?
    It would still be the flagship device if the company hasn't released an newer flagship device in that 6 month period.

Why do people seem to have trouble with the term "flagship"? It refers to the best you have to offer. What would you consider Apple's flagship phone 6 months after a new iPhone has launched? The same one.
    11-18-14 08:15 PM
    I won't put myself through the pain of imagining what it's like to "wait" a few months for the phone I want.

Passport was launched 9/24 and by 10:15am on 9/25 I had one at my doorstep. I would absolutely do it again.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 03:25 AM
    This was my first outright purchase of a brand new, just released device. For the passport, I would do it again. I probably won't buy a subsidized device ever again.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-19-14 06:33 AM
    By that reasoning the people on OS7 phones are the smart ones because BB10 is still being worked on, come on 10.3! , and the hardware is getting better. Were as a 9900 is as good as its going to get. I got my Z10 a week after it came out because my contract had recently expired. I redid my plan so it actually costs me less per month to get a new phone with a new contract.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 10:36 AM
    By that reasoning the people on OS7 phones are the smart ones because BB10 is still being worked on, come on 10.3! , and the hardware is getting better. Were as a 9900 is as good as its going to get. I got my Z10 a week after it came out because my contract had recently expired. I redid my plan so it actually costs me less per month to get a new phone with a new contract.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't call people that chose to stay on bbOS devices any smarter than those that didn't. I had just as many issues with the software on bbOS that I have with bb10. It's preference, not intellectual level that dictates our choices in devices.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-19-14 11:25 AM
    I can't understand why when people buy phones is a threadworthy topic.
    MADBRADNYC and Blacklatino like this.
    11-19-14 02:30 PM
    I can't understand why when people buy phones is a threadworthy topic.
    I don't know man. I have seen a thread asking CB which colour phone to buy. Lol

I made this thread because I avoid buying things first, whether it is a car, or a phone. Yet, I see people making a big deal out of buying phones at launch everywhere including CB, so I thought I would ask others what their reasoning is for buying phones at the launch.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem and Blacklatino like this.
    11-19-14 02:45 PM
    It's an interesting thread.

Z10
    11-19-14 07:52 PM
    Regarding price, some people do not worry about it and feel it's worth it for whatever reason. Mainly to get their hands on the new technology. Some people buy new cars for the same reasons -although they know the value will drop the moment they buy it!
    11-21-14 10:30 AM
    Manufacturer warranty, typically comes with an electronic device you buy. Usually last for a year. Coverage is usually defects and craftsmanship. Thats why i don't wait around to let a new flagship device become a year old for all the 'kinks" to get worked out.
    11-21-14 02:03 PM
    I don't know man. I have seen a thread asking CB which colour phone to buy. Lol

I made this thread because I avoid buying things first, whether it is a car, or a phone. Yet, I see people making a big deal out of buying phones at launch everywhere including CB, so I thought I would ask others what their reasoning is for buying phones at the launch.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, that's not what you did. This post says "...so I thought I would ask others what their reasoning is for buying phones at the launch".

However, what you did was actually somewhat bash people and give a list of reasons why people shouldn't buy a phone at launch and awaited the responses to come in. Those are two very different things.
    hpjrt likes this.
    11-29-14 10:57 AM
    Nope, that's not what you did. This post says "...so I thought I would ask others what their reasoning is for buying phones at the launch".

However, what you did was actually somewhat bash people and give a list of reasons why people shouldn't buy a phone at launch and awaited the responses to come in. Those are two very different things.
    I don't buy phones at launch. I made that clear in my first post. And with that I gave two reasons why I don't buy phones launch. But I invited others to give reasons for buying phones at launch since I could not think of any myself.

No bashing here.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 11:03 AM
    When I was growing up, the advertising catch phrase for just about any thing was "Be the first on your block to get...". LOL.

Believe me that worked. We all wanted the distinction of being the first to get A, B, or C! I say we all "wanted" but few of our parents allowed us to, in fact, achieve this! LOL

That said, if I want something at launch and I can afford it, that's my business. I am not required to justify my purchase to anyone.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-29-14 11:38 AM
    I don't buy phones at launch. I made that clear in my first post. And with that I gave two reasons why I don't buy phones launch. But I invited others to give reasons for buying phones at launch since I could not think of any myself.

No bashing here.

Posted via CB10
    I said somewhat bashing. I certainly wouldn't accuse you of anything more or less. But come on. Be honest. You said, "I cannot understand..."; then listed your reasons why you wouldn't do it, then asked why others do. It's clearly inferred by your writing that you believe your way is the RIGHT way, while buying at launch has its flaws. Based on your original post I'd say you weren't really interested in people's reason or you would have just asked without adding your thoughts. There is no right or wrong here. All I'm saying is perhaps you could have titled the thread and posed your question slightly different. For example:

Thread: Advantages/Disadvantages of Pre-Ordering or Buying at Launch

First Post: I typically wait to purchase a phone after pre-order and launch. What do you guys think are some of the advantages and/or disadvantage of pre-ordering or buying at launch?

***This way your are not interjecting your opinion nor would anyone even remotely think you're bashing. I don't honestly believe you're "bashing" in the way you probably took my statement. I just meant I believe the purpose of posing a question like yours should be with an open mind that a response make actually change your stance.
    11-29-14 12:37 PM
    I can't buy devices at launch, they always arrive here a few months after launch

But really, considering the frequency of the dreaded clock on BlackBerry OS, buying a BlackBerry 10 device at launch does not sound odd to me

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    11-29-14 11:34 PM
95 ... 234